SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-05, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Marks set to leave US for lucrative European courts

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10332977

Basketball: Marks set to leave US for lucrative European courts

A European contract could be worth even more to Sean Marks than his present $1m annual pay cheque. Picture / Mark Mitchell

Just days after revelling in one of the greatest triumphs for a New Zealand basketballer, Sean Marks has signalled that his playing days in the United States are almost up.

The 29-year-old capped a stellar career with his first National Basketball Association (NBA) victory ring following the San Antonio Spurs' 4-3 series win over the Detroit Pistons last week.

Despite San Antonio's success, Marks, the first Kiwi to play in the NBA when signed by the New York Knicks in 1998, said pursuing his career in Europe was a matter of when, not if.

"Sure, one year at a time. Whenever it may be in the future, I'll probably end up going to Europe and playing over there," he told Slamsports website.

"That day will come. But just for the time being, I'm just soaking this up."

Heading across the Atlantic could also reap Marks a big pay rise on his current US$700,000 ($1 million) annual contract, with European clubs paying top-dollar for former NBA players, especially those who have won a championship.

With his wife expecting their second child, improved financial security must also be tempting.

A handful of Marks' former Tall Blacks team-mates already play in Europe, including Mark Dickel, Phill Jones and possibly Pero Cameron, who is being courted by Turkish clubs,

Marks, a 2.1m forward, played 23 regular-season games for the Spurs, but his court time was limited given that his opposition for a starting berth was NBA star Tim Duncan, who scooped his third MVP for the NBA final.

Marks failed to make the playing roster for the finals, but the experience, albeit limited to the practice court, still has the former Aucklander buzzing.

"To be part of a championship team is a dream come true, in the best league, too.

"This is a fantastic place to be, so I'm lucky to have spent a couple of years here."

Marks, who last week retired from internationals, leaving the Tall Blacks without one of their most battle-hardened and experienced players, admitted the lack of NBA game-time had become annoying.

"Sure, it's a little frustrating not being out there in games, helping out," he said.

"But in practice the guys will say 'Good job, way to go'.

"Timmy [Duncan] will come and grab me and say 'Hey, can you come and play some defence on me real quick?', so I love and cherish moments like that.

"This is the pinnacle of your sport. I don't know if there's anything bigger than this when you dream about the NBA as a 14- or 15-year-old kid.

"You see pictures of Michael Jordan kissing the trophy and now, being here, it makes me realise how much hard work it takes."

- NZPA
Old 06-28-05, 03:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sean has talked in the past that he thought his career would eventually end up in Europe. Now may be the time to cash in, especially if the Spurs have Duncan, Rasho, Nazr, Horry, and Scola.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-05, 03:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Agreed. Whatever Sean decides I wish him well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-05, 03:59 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Agreed. Whatever Sean decides I wish him well.
Definitely. He seems like a great guy and I wish him well.
Old 06-28-05, 04:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Gosh, I was hoping Marks would turn to being a game analyst for Spurs game. I saw him fill in for a game before and he did a remarkable job. You gotta dig the accent. Good for him though.
Old 06-28-05, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good Luck Marks. I loved how he had his son with him after Game 7 and for the parade and party at the Dome.
Old 06-28-05, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i never expected to see marks back but i wish him well. i guess scola will have to replace marks as manu's best bud on the team.
Old 06-28-05, 04:26 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

He got his ring in the NBA, if he can get more money and playing time else where, I'm all for it. The guy is all class, a great team mate, person, and player. You can't play pro-ball forever, and he could be a great over-sea's player. Bottom line is that players want to play, and he deserves to.
Old 06-28-05, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

good luck to him, he was a team player and a worthy spur
Old 06-28-05, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good Luck, Marks!!
Old 06-28-05, 05:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

GODSPEED!
Old 06-28-05, 05:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Good luck to Marks Im sure he was a great teammate and practice player and will be much more suited for European gametime basketball than NBA ball.
Old 06-28-05, 05:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sean Marks in Europe? Our chances of repeating are out the window.

J/K...I wish him well.
Old 06-28-05, 08:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i will miss how much he cheered on the benched! that had to be a great confidence booster for those players! he melted my heart w/ his baby - so cute!
Old 06-29-05, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Too bad he didnt get to play more...bcuz when he was in the game he played with heart and passion...always aggresively going for the dunk....i loved that about him....i'll never forget the alley-oop dunk (in garbage time of one of the games toward the end of the regular season) he did where he was going so fast he landed on his feet first and couldnt stop then he went to his knees....oh my buddy and I were cracking up something awful...it was good to see
Old 06-29-05, 02:31 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

He seemed like a great guy. The best of cheerleaders of the Spurs. He seemed so excited when we won. God luck to him.
Old 06-29-05, 02:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

What will we do without Napoleon?

Sean, stay! Pedro offers you his protection.
Old 06-29-05, 02:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

What is considered top dollar in Europe?
Old 06-29-05, 05:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sean Marks:Good luck and cheers bro!
Old 06-29-05, 08:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I wish him the best; he seemed like a teammate with good chemistry - and if he can get along with his teammates and provide a valuable practice dummy, that's a good enough contribution. I'm glad he can leave on a good note and has more basketball to look forward to.