News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-18-05, 11:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Manu asked about his flopping

Did anybody see today's press conference where one of the reporters said he was doing a piece on flopping and asked Manu about it . What an idiot

Quote:
Q. I'm doing a piece on flopping and some of the Pistons even some of your teammates said that you have a reputation for drawing calls every now and then. I'm curious if you take offense to that, if you admit to it and if so, what are the keys to selling the call?
MANU GINOBILI: I don't know, I never had to talk about that. I don't know, I just think that you've got to be in the right spot mainly, then if you it's not about flopping on it's probably more exaggerating a little bit, the call. But, you know, you caught me off guard. (Laughter) I didn't expect to be answering about this. I just play the way I feel. I try to be in the right spot to draw a charge or something like that.

Q. I didn't mean it in a negative term, I just wondered if there's an art to it or something that players do, or why some players are more successful at doing it than others.
MANU GINOBILI: I really don't know. You got me. I don't know.

Last edited by kmgospurs; 06-18-05 at 11:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-05, 11:19 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I wish he had answered the question better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-05, 11:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Manu needs to take a trip to the Spurs' media relations office soon.
Old 06-18-05, 11:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgospurs
Did anybody see today's press conference where one of the reporters said he was doing a piece on flopping and asked Manu about it . What an idiot
If this reporter wants to know why flopping is a part of the NBA, then he needs to go talk to high school coaches all over the country who run drills teaching their players how to sell charges. It starts a lot earlier than the NBA.
Old 06-19-05, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I can say that stupid reporter doesn't know what is basketball.
The first lesson when you learn to ball, you need to learn how to throw yourself
to the floor. That is the BEST way to protect youself and to discharge the
killing force, making you still alive before you learn how to jump shoot.
Old 06-19-05, 12:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Flop Flop what ever. its Manu.. This is his game...Did we ever ask jordan why he took so many shots...(yes)He did it to win... Manu is great at what he does..He takes the charge or he takes the blocking call.This is his game...Why is it such an issue.He has been doing this ever since he came into the league..I am very suprised it took the media this long to realize how he plays.. This is his game. get used to it..He will be here for a long time and this is his game, and I it... thank you..I think all of the Spurs fans
it..so let it be...The art of the flop. Its been in the league forever and it will be here a long time. Its part of the game.

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Old 06-19-05, 12:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Good Lord !! This reporter should have asked Ben Wallace about his flopping....

Reporter: I noticed that on several occasions Tony Parker was called for an offensive charge because he knocked you to the court. The man weighs 175 lbs and you weigh almost 100 lbs more.....obviously you flopped. So can you explain the theory behind flopping in the NBA? Especially those flops that are obvious.......

Give me a break!!
Old 06-19-05, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeOne Ginobili
Flop Flop what ever. its Manu.. This is his game...Did we ever ask jordan why he took so many shots...(yes)He did it to win... Manu is great at what he does..He takes the charge or he takes the blocking call.This is his game...Why is it such an issue.He has been doing this ever since he came into the league..I am very suprised it took the media this long to realize how he plays.. This is his game. get used to it..He will be here for a long time and this is his game, and I it... thank you..I think all of the Spurs fans
it..so let it be...The art of the flop. Its been in the league forever and it will be here a long time. Its part of the game.
I find this post ridiculous, NOT because I think Manu is a flopper, but because you're equating it to a jump shot. Flopping sucks. I'm talking to you Devean.
Old 06-19-05, 01:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
I find this post ridiculous, NOT because I think Manu is a flopper, but because you're equating it to a jump shot. Flopping sucks. I'm talking to you Devean.
Why does Flopping sucks? I don't understand..
Old 06-19-05, 02:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The majority of the players try to flop in certain situations, certainly if you can prevent a turnover in that situation. Why wouldn't you do that? It's not a pick-up game or so. The thing is, there are few players who do it better than Manu. I don't think he flops a lot when there is no contact. Mostly it's just showing it to the refs when there really is contact.