Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-05, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

MySA: Mover and shaker: Motor always has been running for Spurs' Ginobili

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...3009da155.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Danny Ferry has seen Manu Ginobili plow into Shaquille O'Neal, scrape himself off the floor then plow into him again. He watched Danny Fortson, Seattle's human fire hydrant, put Ginobili on his back. Ginobili once had a drive cut short when three different Denver Nuggets clubbed him at the same time.

But the first time Ferry knew the Spurs' frenetic guard was fearless — when he realized no one needed to question the size of Ginobili's Spaldings — came more than three years ago when Ginobili stood his ground against his own coach.

The Spurs were in the midst of a fourth-quarter comeback against Dallas when Ginobili threw a wrap-around pass into the stands. In the locker room after the game, Gregg Popovich screamed at Ginobili, "What did you do that for?"

Ginobili looked at Popovich and shrugged. "It's what I do," he said. "It's who I am."

Ferry and Steve Kerr arched their eyebrows, waiting for their coach to explode. Instead, Popovich, mouth agape, just stared at Ginobili, unsure what to say.

Ginobili has since left much of the league slack-jawed, his performance in Thursday's opening game of the NBA Finals only further inflating the ranks of Manuphiles. Displaying the blend of courage and competitiveness that has won him the respect of his teammates, he scored 22 second-half points to give the Spurs an 84-69 victory over Detroit.

"He's the motor of that team," said Pistons guard Carlos Arroyo. "You can stop a guy from scoring, but you can't stop him from making his teammates better. He showed that last night. He just took over that game."

Ginobili once ran in from above the 3-point line to beat three Pistons to an offensive rebound. He dove into the scorer's table to save the ball off the leg of Arroyo. Once the fourth quarter arrived, he attacked the basket time and again.

The Spurs, emboldened by Ginobili's confidence, scored on eight consecutive possessions.

"They need his swagger," said Ferry, now the Spurs' director of basketball operations. "They need his toughness, his fire. Manu plays with so much of that, that he empowers the group."

Ginobili, Popovich said, is "probably the most competitive person I've ever been around." More than a few people share that opinion.

"I could never say this publicly," said one rival Western Conference head coach, "but, given the choice, I would take Manu over Kobe (Bryant)."

Ginobili's fire burned long before he came to the NBA. "He was born like that," said Leandro, the oldest of Ginobili's two brothers. "He's competitive playing cards."

Growing up in the Argentine town of Bahia Blanca — a basketball oasis in the soccer-mad country — Ginobili played for the youth team of the club his father, Jorge, ran. He was reed thin, but also fearless. Reared on Michael Jordan tapes his father's coaching friends brought him from their visits to the United States, he attacked the basket relentlessly, if not also recklessly.

Such bravery led fans to call him cara de piedra, or "stone-faced."

"Ever since he was young, he was always very intense," Jorge said.

Leandro and Ginobili's other brother, Sebastian, also played professionally in Argentina. The first time Ginobili faced his brothers' team, Leandro, seven years his senior, "dominated" him.

"I laugh now," Leandro said. "I did (score) a lot of points. I guarded him well. But the next season, when I played against him again, it was impossible. I couldn't catch him even in a small bathroom.

"Every day, every hour he gets better. In Argentina we say he never 'reach his roof.'"

Regardless of whether Ginobili's talent has yet to peak, he has grown far more comfortable with his role with the Spurs. In the locker room, he speaks when he thinks something needs to be said. His leadership skills are even more evident on the court, where Popovich has increasingly given him the ball in end-of-game situations.

"I just feel way more responsible this year in what the team does," Ginobili said.

That has been evident in each round of the playoffs. Hoping to infuse his reserve unit with a jolt of energy, Popovich moved Ginobili to the bench following the team's opening loss to Denver. He averaged 22.8 points and 6.5 rebounds over the final four games of the series.

During the Spurs' critical Game 5 victory over Seattle, Ginobili scored 39 points on just 15 shots. Two nights later, he helped closed out the Sonics when he drove to the rim as if to shoot. As Seattle center Vitaly Potapenko ran out to cut him off, Ginobili threaded a pass to Tim Duncan, who banked in the winning layup with half a second remaining.

Ginobili also tormented Phoenix in the conference finals. His behind-the-back dribble between Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire — a drive that ended with him banking in a reverse layup with his right hand — at the end of Game 2 ranks as one of the best moves in this season's playoffs.

After Detroit ran off 10 unanswered points to pull within 74-67 with a little more than three minutes remaining Thursday, Ginobili drove for a dunk, buried a 3-pointer and banked in a difficult runner while falling into a row of photographers.

The victory secure, Ginobili took the ball and started to head up court. Duncan, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry lagged behind. For a moment, it looked as if they were going to let their teammate take on all five Pistons alone.

"Probably the worst thing we can do is just sit there and watch him play," Duncan said, "but you get mesmerized."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-05, 01:25 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Manu is just fearless. How else can you put it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-05, 01:32 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
"I could never say this publicly," said one rival Western Conference head coach, "but, given the choice, I would take Manu over Kobe (Bryant)."
Wow who do you think that coach is.

Nevertheless Manu is an incredible player, and is becoming scarier day after day.

When he plays unconsious he is unstopable and God Bless him he is full of innovative ideas to make it happen, being a lefty has to do with a part of being a sort of genuis..
Old 06-11-05, 01:38 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I bet its probably Mike D' Antoni of the Suns. He has known of his game for years. Long before the mainstream NBA and Spurs audience got to know how good Manu was, D' Antoni saw him play a lot of times overseas.
Old 06-11-05, 01:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

i'd guess that it is coach Mike D-antonio (if that's how you spell it) or Rudy T

wow.. those are 2 big statements by ppl in the know.

Quote:
Ginobili, Popovich said, is "probably the most competitive person I've ever been around." More than a few people share that opinion.

Old 06-11-05, 07:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed
Wow who do you think that coach is.

Nevertheless Manu is an incredible player, and is becoming scarier day after day.

When he plays unconsious he is unstopable and God Bless him he is full of innovative ideas to make it happen, being a lefty has to do with a part of being a sort of genuis..
Man, now I really want to know he is.
Old 06-11-05, 09:26 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

For some reason I want to say George Karl, but that's ridiculous right? Hmm.
Old 06-11-05, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Q. Speaking of Manu, you see him do the crazy things that he does all the time. Does he do anything that surprises you at all?
TIM DUNCAN: Everything he does surprises me. Even playing with him all year, when he gets into a rhythm like that where he starts going, it's like you want to sit there and watch him play. You get caught up in what he does and that's probably the worst thing that we can do is just sit there and watch him play, but you get mesmerized by what he's doing.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_quotes_050610.html
Old 06-11-05, 04:43 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Hmm, well, how many western conference "rivals" do we have - Manu did score 48 on the Suns and could you imagine him instead of Q? D'Antoni, Nash, Amare would love that!
Old 06-11-05, 09:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
But the first time Ferry knew the Spurs' frenetic guard was fearless — when he realized no one needed to question the size of Ginobili's Spaldings — came more than three years ago when Ginobili stood his ground against his own coach.

The Spurs were in the midst of a fourth-quarter comeback against Dallas when Ginobili threw a wrap-around pass into the stands. In the locker room after the game, Gregg Popovich screamed at Ginobili, "What did you do that for?"

Ginobili looked at Popovich and shrugged. "It's what I do," he said. "It's who I am."

Ferry and Steve Kerr arched their eyebrows, waiting for their coach to explode. Instead, Popovich, mouth agape, just stared at Ginobili, unsure what to say.
I read this article this morning and loved this part, just imagining the look on Pop's face.
Old 06-11-05, 09:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholt
I read this article this morning and loved this part, just imagining the look on Pop's face.
Pop was speechless for the first time. I'm sure he saw the sincerity in Manu's comment. You have to love Manu's passion for the game. I don't think the SPURS are here today if Pop doesn't let Manu do his thing.