News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-25-05, 09:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Who hates us like we hated them?

Through the Robinson era is was the Suns, Jazz, Rockets, and Lakers that eliminated the Spurs in seasons where they were contenders. At some point I hated each of them, the Jazz on a few occasions, the Rockets in 95, and the Lakers in 01, 02. I wonder what teams think of us as a menace like that?

I used to think it was Minny, we beat them several times. Maybe now it will be the Suns if we keep it up.

"Some defeats are only installments to victory."

-Jacob Riis
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-25-05, 09:11 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm pretty sure mavs fans hate us.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-25-05, 09:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

phoenis sure beacause in 2003 we beat them too
then minnesota ok
Old 05-25-05, 09:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Ditto on the Mavs. They think we stole the last series cause Dirk was injured. Go figger.
Old 05-25-05, 09:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Yeah, I forgot about the Mavs

"Some defeats are only installments to victory."

-Jacob Riis
Old 05-25-05, 09:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboinsa
Ditto on the Mavs. They think we stole the last series cause Dirk was injured. Go figger.
And Dirk didn't get kneed from Manu?
Old 05-25-05, 09:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think the Spurs are well on their way to becoming the hated team in the NBA. If we go all the way, the "hate" will only increase.

Consider, except for the Lakers, no team has beat the Spurs in the Playoffs for many years. That means we have eliminated an awful lot of teams. That's a lot of hate! Additionally, even when praising the Spurs, the media tends to treat the team negatively, causing the average fan to have increased animosity. Then there's the usual Bowen comments from crybaby players, etc. etc.
Old 05-25-05, 10:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Phoenix has hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MVP
Through the Robinson era is was the Suns, Jazz, Rockets, and Lakers that eliminated the Spurs in seasons where they were contenders. At some point I hated each of them, the Jazz on a few occasions, the Rockets in 95, and the Lakers in 01, 02. I wonder what teams think of us as a menace like that?

I used to think it was Minny, we beat them several times. Maybe now it will be the Suns if we keep it up.
After going to both Spurs/Suns game wearing a Spurs Jersey and listening to the comments and avoiding about 20 fights I can personally tell you the people of Phoenix hate us. I sat behind the Spurs bench and had to listen to some of Sarver's (Suns owner) friends talk so much smack..... It felt so good to be there and win both games in front of these people.
Old 05-25-05, 10:17 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Whoever is on top typically gets hated by all those who aren't.
Old 05-25-05, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The Mavs do not like us at all.....either does Minny, and especially the Lakers.
Old 05-25-05, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I bet we arent too popular with the Sonics fans, due to the Ray Allen vs Bruce Bowen thing.
Old 05-25-05, 10:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Laker fans hate us more than anymore. Believe me. I wore a Duncan jersey to a local radio concert here in LA this past Saturday. You have no idea how many times I got yelled at and booed at throughout the day. You'll have to trust me on this. This was an all day rock concert, not a sporting event! The Spurs and Lakers won 5 championships in a row, each opponent eliminating each other in 4 of those championships, and the Lakers eliminating us last year. You don't think there is any bad blood there?? The Mavs, Suns and Twolves may not like us, but there is no real rivalry because they've never won anything. Each and everyday I deal with Laker fan hatred. At work, at the gym, even in public sometimes. I love being a Spurs fan in Southern California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-05, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Not being a Spurs fan in LA you'd know better than I, but from the laker fans I've come across there's been dislike, but with a sense of respect because the Spurs won their two titles going right through them. I think we hate the lackers more than they hate us. JMO.
Old 05-25-05, 11:37 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Spur
Laker fans hate us more than anymore. Believe me. I wore a Duncan jersey to a local radio concert here in LA this past Saturday. You have no idea how many times I got yelled at and booed at throughout the day. You'll have to trust me on this. This was an all day rock concert, not a sporting event! The Spurs and Lakers won 5 championships in a row, each opponent eliminating each other in 4 of those championships, and the Lakers eliminating us last year. You don't think there is any bad blood there?? The Mavs, Suns and Twolves may not like us, but there is no real rivalry because they've never won anything. Each and everyday I deal with Laker fan hatred. At work, at the gym, even in public sometimes. I love being a Spurs fan in Southern California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to completely agree with this based on my interaction with LA fans and some general LA experience. LA fans HATE us. It's on the verge of being irrational. You can be the best representetive of the Spurs ever, completely classy, never denegrating their team, and they STILL hate you.
Old 05-25-05, 11:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i think the whole "boring team" comments are the byproduct of pretty much the whole country hating us.

-Bruce Bowen
Old 05-25-05, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibikao
And Dirk didn't get kneed from Manu?
...and Manu didn't get kneed from Dirk? C'mon--If you really think Manu is dirty, let me introduce you to the next mayor of SA, Mr. Carroll Schubert.
Old 05-25-05, 12:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd say its: T-Wolves, Sonics, Lakers, Suns, Nuggets and Jazz. (In that order). I think we have eliminated the Nuggets and Wolves more than any other team ever has before.
Old 05-25-05, 09:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

As a Mavs fan, I have to say you guys are wrong about Mavs fans hating you - I like the Spurs only next to my favorite team the Mavs. Since there are no Mavs to root for anymore, I root for my second-favorite player in the NBA, Tim Duncan.
Old 05-25-05, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezsr
After going to both Spurs/Suns game wearing a Spurs Jersey and listening to the comments and avoiding about 20 fights I can personally tell you the people of Phoenix hate us. I sat behind the Spurs bench and had to listen to some of Sarver's (Suns owner) friends talk so much smack..... It felt so good to be there and win both games in front of these people.
You were at the game??? Where were you sitting for Game 1? I was there and I'd swear there was a grand total of 3 Spurs fans in the building.
Old 05-25-05, 09:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Lickers will always be atop the Spurs mutual-hate list. Utah held down the #2 spot for many years, but since they suck now, I think Denver will entrench itself there. I would pencil in Seattle right behind them for now, but they'll move back down after this summer when Ray Allen leaves in free agency and they drop back into the lottery.

Houston and Dallas are more of a regional rivalry than hate.
Old 05-25-05, 10:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I'm going to completely agree with this based on my interaction with LA fans and some general LA experience. LA fans HATE us. It's on the verge of being irrational. You can be the best representetive of the Spurs ever, completely classy, never denegrating their team, and they STILL hate you.
Most Laker fans even here in SA who are like that. And it is VERY creepy, you're having a normal conversation with someone, and the split second they find out you're a Spurs fan, or if the Spurs come up in the conversation, you get nothing but trash talk and contempt. "The Spurs ****in suck", "Spurs fans ****in suck", "they'll never win another championship", and "the ones they have are fake and a joke". It really goes beyond healthy fan rivalry into irrational hatred.

There are of course many cool Laker fans out there, but it seems there's two or three psychos for every cool one like MystiLynn
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 05-26-05, 09:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

people in LA are generally irrational and full of hatred
Old 05-26-05, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The Nets probably hate us too. Seattle yes. Denver, probably with all the crying from the coach. People hate Manu and people hate Bruce. Lots definately hate Horry. So yeah. I'm sure we're hated. Some say we're the villians now. fine with me.
Old 05-26-05, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

The sad thing is I like LA and I can't hold a normal conversation with an Lakers fan if I bring up being a Spurs fan.
Old 05-26-05, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

In reality no team hates us more than the wolves all you have to do is look in their boards and you see this irrational hate.
Old 05-26-05, 02:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

everyone probably does. manu is the new john stockton.
Old 05-26-05, 02:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Check LG.net.

Some morons like a gay (guy, I mean) named Cooper hate the Spurs because, according to their long-lasting credo, Stern wants the Spurs to win always! Same stuff we say about Stern here! :O

According to them, the Spurs are helped by the officiating. Of course, they fail to remember how Kobe and Shaq were treated...

Still, there are some very good posters there. Most of their mods are ok, and some of their regulars are ok, too.

I have to say Lakers.
Old 05-26-05, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Reading Lakersground is like reading a more hateful mirror of this board. We say Stern favors them, they say Stern favors us; we say refs favor other teams, they say refs favor us; we used to say Shaq got away with murder while he was in LA (and still does in Miam), they say Tim travels, goes over the back and dislodges with his hips; we say Kobe got all the calls, they say Manu gets all the calls.

It's a bizarro relationship.
Old 05-26-05, 02:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Who cares what the hell they're saying over at LG? We've got a title run to worry about, leave them alone and let them obsess over whether or not Mitch is going to screw up their lottery pick.
Old 05-27-05, 01:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Definitely the Mavs.
Big city Mavs have just been pretenders. Little city Spurs have won it all twice, and soon their third.
Mavs won't forget the Spurs victory in game 6 in 2003. Mavs thought they had it sewed up with a 13 point lead...then came Kerr.
...yup, I'm pretty sure that the Mavs hate us. Phoenix will too by the beginning of next week. One of the Phoenix web sites (phxsuns.net) seethes with hatred for Tim, Manu and Tony already.
I LOVE THIS GAME.
Old 05-27-05, 01:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Lakers hate us most.
Old 05-27-05, 02:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Laker fans are beyond normal in their Spurs hate. LG.net is the best place for irrational weirdos with nothing but hate in their hearts.
Old 05-27-05, 09:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Spur
Each and everyday I deal with Laker fan hatred. At work, at the gym, even in public sometimes. I love being a Spurs fan in Southern California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel you, man. Lotta Haterade in both directions.

The other day my 5yo daughter insisted on flying our Spurs car flag on the way to school. Getting stuck at traffic lights was rather uncomfortable.

"Daddy, why are all those people holding up one finger?"

I told her they think we're #1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur_Fanatic
Still, there are some very good posters there. Most of their mods are ok, and some of their regulars are ok, too.
The posters maybe, but on the Mods...are you nuts??

They are frickin' Nazis over there. JD is a total tool and Laker Lanny has got to be the biggest scum on any board anywhere. One time that dude challenged a fellow *Laker* fan to play him one-on-one (for cash) anywhere in LA because he didn't agree with his take. Whatever...
Old 05-27-05, 12:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

They call us the Sterns. Makes perfect since, when you consider the giant metropolis of South Texas.
Old 05-27-05, 08:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

hate is a strong word...

I don't hate the spurs. Other than Bruce Lee Bowen, yall have a pretty likeable cast of characters. I should say however, the _allas thing is really tired. Yall (spursfans) are better than that. I'm not saying we are anywhere near the spurs defensively, but AJ's philosophy will put the old cliché to rest - hopefully by the end of next season.

Oh, and another thing. Being that Manu has turned into quite the actor of late, labeling Dirk a flopper is quite hypocritical.

Other than that I got no complaints. Even when I wear my Mavgear to the SBC center yall are always repectable... even when I was rowdy.

I do wish the Austin media would cover the mavs as much as they do the spurs - that I do hate.
Old 05-27-05, 11:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerhater1
Definitely the Mavs.
Big city Mavs have just been pretenders. Little city Spurs have won it all twice, and soon their third.
Mavs won't forget the Spurs victory in game 6 in 2003. Mavs thought they had it sewed up with a 13 point lead...then came Kerr.
...yup, I'm pretty sure that the Mavs hate us. Phoenix will too by the beginning of next week. One of the Phoenix web sites (phxsuns.net) seethes with hatred for Tim, Manu and Tony already.
I LOVE THIS GAME.

Pleaseeee, hating the Mavs is like hating the little boy next door that always leaves his bike on the street. You just can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASpursFan
The posters maybe, but on the Mods...are you nuts??

They are frickin' Nazis over there. JD is a total tool and Laker Lanny has got to be the biggest scum on any board anywhere. One time that dude challenged a fellow *Laker* fan to play him one-on-one (for cash) anywhere in LA because he didn't agree with his take. Whatever...

Nah, there are some really good mods in LG.net.
I like DBarry, pokoy, MikeLG and emplay; Sky is ok, and wolf, though a total homer (like every true fan of any team, though this dude is out of the chart), is ok too.

LL, apart of that stupid challenge, has his moments (sure it was LL? I though SHOES did that bet)

Last edited by Spur_Fanatic; 05-27-05 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-28-05, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur_Fanatic
Nah, there are some really good mods in LG.net.
I like DBarry, pokoy, MikeLG and emplay; Sky is ok, and wolf, though a total homer (like every true fan of any team, though this dude is out of the chart), is ok too.

LL, apart of that stupid challenge, has his moments (sure it was LL? I though SHOES did that bet)
You are right. emplay is good. IIRC, he posted here occasionally.

Laker Lanny is an idiot, and a scumbag and yes, I'm sure it was him not SHOES.
Old 05-28-05, 01:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The "_allas" thing will still stand just like the "Spurs are boring" talk still goes. Despite neither really being true anymore.

As far as haters go, I'm sure the top goes to Mavs, Lakers, and maybe Timberwolves. I think the Wolves are just bitter because their team can't accomplish anything. The Mavs because of the whole interstate rival ordeal and how they've been elimated in 01 and 03. The Lakers... well we did elimate them in 2003 and embarass them in 2 games in 2004.
Old 05-28-05, 02:05 AM
SpursReport Rookie

If you guys have read forum of Rockets and Mavericks, most were saying they wants Spurs to win the Championship so as to keep the title in Texas. Texans for Spurs.
Old 05-28-05, 02:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

FTL!!!

Laker Fans suck because most don't know anything about basketball. They cheer because they win. If they began a long, losing legacy, most of their fans would be fighting to get off the bandwagon faster than the rats on the Titanic. As it stands now, they are looking for any reason to jump on the Clipper bandwagon.

Also, the people that work at most of the local sports bar treat us like lepers. In general, Laker Fans suck azz.
Old 05-28-05, 03:13 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I think right now:

Seattle hates us themost followed by..
Phoenix (after this series)
Dallas Detroit
Lakers

Etc..