News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-05, 01:57 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Is Nazr going to start the rest of the playoffs?

It seems like he is
Old 05-11-05, 01:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think as long as he keeps playing at a high level he will. He matches up well in this series and likely will match up well in the next.

The finals could be a different story...

But more than likely, I think he will.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-05, 02:03 PM

i was wondering the same thing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-05, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

why mess with a good thing. I say until something funky starts going on, he keeps starting.
11-Time NBA All-Star
3-Time NBA Finals MVP
3-Time NBA Champion
2-Time NBA MVP

And Still Going...
Old 05-11-05, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Pop will keep the continuity and start Nazr, unless we meet Miami in the Finals. Spurs will need Rasho against Shaq.
Old 05-11-05, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The other question is, is Rasho still that hurt or is Nazr just playing too good to put back on the bench.
Old 05-11-05, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think he's just bringing him back slowly - let him heal as much as possible - if they REALLY needed Rasho in there i think definitely they would use him, but i think Pop wants to make sure his guy is physically sound before risking it too much

(But Nazr is doing pretty darn well, IMO, which gives Pop that flexibility)
Old 05-11-05, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't see any reason why not. Rasho is soft and cant match his intensity nor his level of play. I'd hate to see him lose his spot after the way he's played.

I highly doubt that Rasho starts a game during these playoffs.
Old 05-11-05, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Rasho's ankle is fine.

There are times against Seattle when it looks like Pop goes down the bench and tells Rasho to be ready in case they need him, but then something good happens.

Against Denver, Rasho played important minutes in Game 3 and Pop put him in for Tim when he fouled out in Game 4- instead of Nazr. In Game 5 I saw Pop go down the bench early in the fourth quarter when it got tight but then Big Doggie hit a couple of baskets and next thing you knew, it was a double-digit lead and Rasho was never needed.

Just like starting Brent, who is going to change it as long as the Spurs keep winning?
Old 05-11-05, 02:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
if SA faced Miami....he def would be starting. Nazr wouldnt start against Shaq
Old 05-11-05, 02:44 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I am curious about one thing. Where are all the people who complained about Rasho's not scoring enough but do not seem to have any problem with Nazr basically scoring the same?
Old 05-11-05, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Malik who?

Yeah...I guess the goodbye lovefest is over.
Old 05-11-05, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotefan
I am curious about one thing. Where are all the people who complained about Rasho's not scoring enough but do not seem to have any problem with Nazr basically scoring the same?
some people were bashing Nazr around here at one point as bad as Rasho

SA is lucky to have both...why cant some people understand that?
Old 05-11-05, 02:49 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers™
I don't see any reason why not. Rasho is soft and cant match his intensity nor his level of play. I'd hate to see him lose his spot after the way he's played.

Rasho who?
Old 05-11-05, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

My guess would be that *IF the Spurs meet the Heat in the Finals, then Rasho would start in that series, but otherwise I believe Nazr will continue to start.
Old 05-11-05, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I've been impressed with Rasho in the limited minutes I've seen him play in the postseason. If we make the Finals he'll play a big role defending Shaq, but don't expect to see him much if we face Phoenix.

-Bruce Bowen
Old 05-11-05, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
because Nazr's scrappiness and rebounding is better than Rasho's.
Old 05-11-05, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

i'd like to see Rasho get some quality minutes against Amare before he's thrown into the pit with Shaq
Old 05-11-05, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Yeah...and SA will need him in the next round too

SA is lucky to have both players and will need BOTH to win a title this year. Why do people always want to use one player to knock down another? people always do that with Spurs players
Old 05-11-05, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
if SA faced Miami....he def would be starting. Nazr wouldnt start against Shaq
you think so? I'm not so sure.

Why mess with a lineup that got you to the Finals? I think Nazr starts against Shaq, but at the first sign of any trouble defending him then Rasho will come in.

I think Nazr would be more effective at taking a charge against Shaq much like David used to do.

It also looks like Brent will be starting from here on out...

I agree that I'm thrilled to have both of these guys in black and silver.
Glad we traded Malik and not Rasho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM21
i'd like to see Rasho get some quality minutes against Amare before he's thrown into the pit with Shaq
I think he'll be thrown in the pit against the Wallaces.
Old 05-11-05, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Well for starters TD, Parker, and Manu are each averaging over 20 ppg in the playoffs so far, and even with that Nazr is still averaging these numbers so far in the post season and in just 7 games has more rebounds then Rasho did in his 10 post season games last year.

Nazr's numbers with the Spurs during the playoffs after just recently joining the team
Nazr's post season with the spurs (7 games) in 26 minutes per game
48 points; 6.9 ppg
62 rebounds; 8.9 rpg
9 blocks; 1.29 bpg
6 steals; 0.86 spg
45% fg's (17-37)
100% 3's (1-1)
65% ft's (13-20)

Rasho's numbers last year after a full season with SA
Rasho's post season with the spurs (10 games) in 26 minutes per game
59 points; 5.9 ppg
55 rebounds; 5.5 rpg
11 blocks; 1.1 bpg
3 steals; 0.3 spg
43% fg's (29-67)
0% 3's (0-1)
16% ft's (1-6)

So as far as thier post season stats with the Spurs, Nazr is beating him in every single catagory compared to Rasho last year. He's a much better rebonder, and can draw fouls much better then Rasho too.
Old 05-11-05, 03:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Yeah...and SA will need him in the next round too

SA is lucky to have both players and will need BOTH to win a title this year. Why do people always want to use one player to knock down another? people always do that with Spurs players
It seems that way. Anyway, I don't see problem with Rasho not starting, but he's not getting any minutes. My opinion is that Pop is making a mistake with Rasho playing 1 minute - the garbage-garbage time. Perhaps they had a disagreement or something. Other than that I just can't imagine that starting center for 2 whole seasons plays 1 (one) minute. Amazing! I wonder how noone asks Pop about it.

Last edited by Trdi; 05-11-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-11-05, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Based on Nazr's post season stats vs Rasho's regular season stats(when both were healthy and in the regular rotation) yeah they're both scoring about the same (Nazr is actually averaging 1 more point per game but whos counting). The difference is in the aggressive style Nazr plays which actually shows up in the stat sheet. Nazr has averaged 8.9 rpg while Rasho averaged only 6.6 rpg. But the real key is free throw attempts. Nazr is averaging 2.9 fta per game while Rasho averaged 0.4 fta. Nazr is in there getting more points in fewer touches (5.3 vs 6.1) and getting more possesions for the Spurs by out rebounding Rasho on the offensive glass(4.0 vs 2.6). I'll be surprised if Rasho ever replaces Nazr in the starting lineup (this year or next) based on those key stats.
Old 05-11-05, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

well seeing as the spurs have won 6 straight playoff games without Rashos services i guess Pop doesnt feel pressed to give him more minutes until he's as healthy as possible
Old 05-11-05, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Nazr's numbers with the Spurs during the playoffs after just recently joining the team
100% 3's (1-1)

0% 3's (0-1)
Rasho bashers keep amazing me all the time. They would use ANY statistical data, even the most stupid one, to bash Rasho Nesterovic. This is just pathetic.

(BTW, I think Rasho can hit more 3's than Nazr, but I guess stats are the one we should trust!)
Old 05-11-05, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trdi
It seems that way. Anyway, I don't see problem in Rasho not starting, but he's not getting any minutes. My opinion is that Pop is making a mistake with Rasho playing 1 minute - the garbage-garbage time. Perhaps they had a disagreement or something. Other than that I just can't imagine that starting center for 2 whole seasons plays 1 (one) minute. Amazing! I wonder how noone asks Pop about it.
Pop had 3 games to work Tim back into condition by giving him some quality minutes and at that Tim still needed about the first couple od Denver games to get back to where he was comfortable playing on the ankle.

It's the playoffs now and like Pop said it's difficult to experiment by trying to give a returning player quality minutes to get back into it during the playoffs. One thing about last night and part of game 1 as well is that at times the Sonics go small and so Pop does the same and goes with only one big in the game.
Old 05-11-05, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs are playing good, keep Nazr in starting 5
Old 05-11-05, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
Spura are playing good, keep Nazr in starting 5
I don't think Spurs were playing bad with Rasho in starting 5 during regular season...
Old 05-11-05, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I don't think Spurs were playing bad with Rasho in starting 5 during regular season...

newsflash...were passed the regular season and knee-deep into post season
Old 05-11-05, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

[quote=Blake]you think so? I'm not so sure.

Why mess with a lineup that got you to the Finals?

QUOTE]

What finals are you referring to? What Finals did Rasho help us get to?
Old 05-11-05, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
It's the playoffs now and like Pop said it's difficult to experiment by trying to give a returning player quality minutes to get back into it during the playoffs. One thing about last night and part of game 1 as well is that at times the Sonics go small and so Pop does the same and goes with only one big in the game.
I was going to mention that, as well. Glenn played 20 minutes last night, a lot of them at PF with Tim at center. Even Nazr is only playing a little over 20 minutes a game against Seattle, so there really aren't any minutes for Rasho.

I still think it speaks volumes- Trdi- that when Tim fouled out, that Pop sent in a stilled-injured Rasho in Overtime. I don't think there is any problem between them, and Rasho looks to be handling it all very, very well- which does not surprise me.
Old 05-11-05, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Rasho bashers keep amazing me all the time. They would use ANY statistical data, even the most stupid one, to bash Rasho Nesterovic. This is just pathetic.
Give me a f**king break man, I put up all thier shooting %'s (FG's, FT"s, 3's). Did I bold them out or say that Nazr is a better 3 pt shooter then Rasho? But you don't have anything to say about his better rebounding, shooting, and over all hustle do you, no you would rather talk about BS.

And I'm not a Rasho basher, but you seem to disllike Nazr becuase of you lust for Rasho your just as pathetic as the Rasho bashers are.
Old 05-11-05, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Well for starters TD, Parker, and Manu are each averaging over 20 ppg in the playoffs so far, and even with that Nazr is still averaging these numbers so far in the post season and in just 7 games has more rebounds then Rasho did in his 10 post season games last year.

Nazr's post season with the spurs (7 games) in 26 minutes per game
48 points; 6.9 ppg
62 rebounds; 8.9 rpg
9 blocks; 1.29 bpg
6 steals; 0.86 spg
45% fg's (17-37)
100% 3's (1-1)
65% ft's (13-20)

Rasho's post season with the spurs (10 games) in 26 minutes per game
59 points; 5.9 ppg
55 rebounds; 5.5 rpg
11 blocks; 1.1 bpg
3 steals; 0.3 spg
43% fg's (29-67)
0% 3's (0-1)
16% ft's (1-6)

So as far as thier post season stats with the Spurs, Nazr is beating him in every single catagory compared to Rasho last year. He's a much better rebonder, and can draw fouls much better then Rasho too.
Gee- and Seattle is the Lakers? I suppose Jerome James is Shaq.
Old 05-11-05, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

(BTW, I think Rasho can hit more 3's than Nazr, but I guess stats are the one we should trust!)
I dont think he was bashing Rasho...just providing stats....and I'm guessing the 3 point shot was a joke stat.....

but if you feel Rasho should start and you have better stats that 3 point percentage, then by all means, let's see 'em.
Old 05-11-05, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
I suppose Jerome James is Shaq.
Yes CF, James is Shaq

Don't get mad at me because your main man is getting 1 minute during garbage time, that's the choice of the almighty Pop.
Old 05-11-05, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitjj
What finals are you referring to? What Finals did Rasho help us get to?
this coming year's finals if we get there. go back and read the entire thing so I dont have to splain it any more.
Old 05-11-05, 03:41 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Try this one- comparing within these playoffs and not this year to last:

Nazr has the worst +/- of any Spur in the playoffs: -15.9

Or this one:
defense points per 100 possessions;
Rasho on court 92.2
Nazr on court 99.6

Just proof that anyone can find a statistic to prove their point.
Old 05-11-05, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Nazr has the worst +/- of any Spur in the playoffs: -15.9

Or this one:
defense points per 100 possessions;
Rasho on court 92.2
Nazr on court 99.6

Just proof that anyone can find a statistic to prove their point.
sorry, but those are two of the worst stats Ive ever seen to try to prove a point.

which 100 possessions are you referring to?
even so, Nazr is still learning the defense, Rasho has been here how long now?

besides....who the hell is knocking Rasho? Nazr is playing better right now than Rasho.....what's your problem?
Old 05-11-05, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Do you not comprehend how these statistics work? Sorry, I went over your head.

As for who is knocking Rasho- you obviously have not read this thread?
Old 05-11-05, 04:02 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:

As for who is knocking Rasho- you obviously have not read this thread?
Actually nobody was, at least not until you asked where are all the Rasho bashers who complain about his scoring.

Nazr has something Rasho doesn't and will probably never will, its called heart. I've never seen Rasho get in someone's face when they knocked the crap out of one of our gaurds! I've never seen Rasho knock someone on thier azz when they were trying to get too phyiscal. I've never seen Rasho go up strong for a dunk when they pass him the ball under the basket. I've seen Nazr do all of the above in only 7 playoff games, and not really even knowing his team mates that well.

Your always so quick to point out that it doesn't matter what we think, that it only matters what the Spurs and Pop think. Well if that's the case then they obviously are thinking that Nazr is helping us more then Rasho would, I guess you just don't like that because your guy is stuck in the bench, while his replacement is outplaying him.

Quote:
I understand how those stats work, but when one guy is playing garbage time and the other is starting, it kind of screws up how much water they hold.

Quote:
OK would you like me to use Rasho stats from this years playoffs?

0.66 ppg
2.3 rpg
0.3 bpg
33% fg's

Last edited by bo spur; 05-11-05 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-11-05, 04:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Give me a f**king break man, I put up all thier shooting %'s (FG's, FT"s, 3's). Did I bold them out or say that Nazr is a better 3 pt shooter then Rasho? But you don't have anything to say about his better rebounding, shooting, and over all hustle do you, no you would rather talk about BS.
Oh, yeah, so you made a SELECTION of important stats is that so? What a ! Where are assists? Where are fouls? Where are turnovers? Oh, sorry, I forgot - you made a selection of IMPORTANT stats for their position.

Quote:
And I'm not a Rasho basher, but you seem to disllike Nazr becuase of you lust for Rasho your just as pathetic as the Rasho bashers are.
Sure you aren't. BTW (as you always say how fair you are) - find me a post where I bashed Nazr or even said that he is playing bad. Almost all of my posts comments about him are very positive. You see, I don't need to bash one player to praise another as you bashers do.
Old 05-11-05, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I think Nazr is much better suited against Seattle since he prevents the offensive rebounds Seattle is used to getting.
Old 05-11-05, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

^^exactly.... +/- and the 100 possessions are both team stats more than individual stats....

I was kinda joking about 'which 100'.....
Old 05-11-05, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Oh, yeah, so you made a SELECTION of important stats is that so? What a ! Where are assists? Where are fouls? Where are turnovers? Oh, sorry, I forgot - you made a selection of IMPORTANT stats for their position.
Well Gay Allen the 2nd, why don't you go find some stats and post them instead of biatching at me for what you want to see? I can't stand MF's that want to ***** about what someone else post, while they aren't willing to go do thier own reserch. And anyway Rasho fouls more then Nazr does, I don't even need to go look at stats to know that one.

Quote:
Sure you aren't. BTW (as you always say how fair you are) - find me a post where I bashed Nazr or even said that he is playing bad. Almost all of my posts comments about him are very positive. You see, I don't need to bash one player to praise another as you bashers do.
Ok Rasho nutt sucker, find a post where I totally bash Rasho without anything to back up what I post?
Old 05-11-05, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

hey, good idea! post the assists and TO stats, Trdi.
Old 05-11-05, 04:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't think that Pop is going to experiment now that we are in the playoffs. However, after the season is over, (And assuming we have a healthy Rasho and Nazr) I see them splitting a lot of minutes depending on our match up.
Old 05-11-05, 04:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
hey, good idea! post the assists and TO stats, Trdi.
I don't care that much really. Only if ALL stats were chosen by mighty bo spur, I don't see any reason, why some of them are missing. If not ALL stats are posted - why is 3p % amongst the chosen ones? I don't get that. Do you?

About Rasho's HEART. Bo spur, you don't really know what are you talking about. Rasho would do better with some more aggression, that's true. But heart?! What the hell do YOU know about that? Sitting in front of PC and bashing players of San Antonio Spurs team.

Quote:
Ok Rasho nutt sucker, find a post where I totally bash Rasho without anything to back up what I post?
Well, why don't YOU do the research first and show me how it's done, Mr. MF.

Last edited by Trdi; 05-11-05 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-11-05, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Nazr has something Rasho doesn't and will probably never will, its called heart.
Actually, Rasho has a lot of heart- he simply does not wear it on his sleeve nor often demonstrate it to the public. Part of that is personal and part of that is cultural, but I don't expect you to understand that.
Old 05-11-05, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

These boards are full of hate. HAAATE!
Old 05-11-05, 04:38 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

BoSpur from now on i'll refer to you as Mr. MF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
These boards are full of hate. HAAATE!
yeah no kidding....at least i feast on trollers and newbies....the rest of the these guys feed on each other