News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-05, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Heresy - I don't like David Robinson, never did

I have a class where we have discussed David Robinson on more than one once. Our professor knows a reporter (I believe for the Express News) and she told him that the one thing they were absolutely forbidden to write about was any story that would reflect negatively on David Robinson.

I can understand why there is so much reverence for him here in SA, but honestly, I never liked him. I have been a Spurs fan since I was about eight years old, but I never liked David Robinson. He was too much of a nice guy for me. I think his lack of killer instinct is a big reason we never could get over the hump in those years when he was in his prime. I always liked players who had more attitude, like MJ, Barkley, Reggie Miller, etc.

But the main thing that turns me off to David Robinson is how conservative and religious he is. I mean the guy can't go five seconds without mentioning Jesus. It's annoying. Plus, all the sucking up Governor Rick Perry did to him after his retirement made me want to throw up. If I were an NBA star I wouldn't let that guy come anywhere near me, much less use me to promote himself.

The other day in class we were talking about the Carver Academy, which I have heard referred to more than once as a "school for underprivileged children on San Antonio's East Side." But somebody in class said that tuition there is like 20,000 dollars a year, and even with financial aid it's like 7,000. Then one of them recalled reading a newspaper article which stated that there were a bunch of BMWs and Cadillacs in the parking lot of the Carver Academy.

Then the professor noted that he heard an advertisement for the Carver Academy during Rush Limbaugh. If the Carver Academy is for "underprivileged children on San Antonio's East Side" then why are there advertisements for it on Rush Limbaugh (there ain't very many folks on the east side listening to that racist pig).

However, nothing ticked me off more than when David Robinson basically told those of us who were againt the war in Iraq to "shut up." As some of you may remember, Steve Nash was a vocal critic of the Iraq war around the time of the All Star break. At the time, David Robinson said something like, "If he doesn't like it, he should go to another country." He also said something to the effect of, "The time for debate is over. It's time to just keep your opinions to yourself and support the troops."

That was when David Robinson lost whatever shred of respect I still had left for him.

Now I will go put on my fire-retardant nightwear.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-05, 02:57 PM

Don't you want this thread in the Spurs forum?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-05, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

All I can say is that it is sad your like or dislike for a person is based entirely on politics (especially someone who is not involved in politics). Maybe some day you will become open-minded. Look on the bright side, you're probably in David's prayers.
Old 05-10-05, 03:03 PM
BBQ, Beer, & Babes

Ehh. I'm sure there's a point in this, but I can' quite figure it out. You don't like David Robinson? That's fine; there's quite a few people that I don't like. You want to start a thread that gets lots of replies? Congratulations are probably in order, as I suspect this one will. Some other, less obvious reason?
Old 05-10-05, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Shaq? Is that you?
Old 05-10-05, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinTX
Ehh. I'm sure there's a point in this, but I can' quite figure it out. You don't like David Robinson? That's fine; there's quite a few people that I don't like. You want to start a thread that gets lots of replies? Congratulations are probably in order, as I suspect this one will. Some other, less obvious reason?

Old 05-10-05, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Sad. The post to start this thread is very sad.
Old 05-10-05, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbarton
Shaq? Is that you?
He didn't mention a lack of autographs, so I am guessing it's not.
Old 05-10-05, 03:10 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

So because he disagrrees with you, he shouldn't garner any of your respect? Oh I get it now.

David Robinson is one of the greatest men in this country. There aren't many other people who would take time out of his dinner and pose wiht my 10 year old son. In my opinion, a man whose life is grounded in faith is a true man in deed! It's too bad some look at a man's accomplishments on the court more than his actions in the real world! The NBA did not name an award after him for nothing!

Justin, You may want to do some research for your self instead of quoting classmate who have no idea what they are talking about:

Carver Tuition
Quote:
The Carver Academy offers a family-friendly scholarship plan based on income. The sliding scale begins with a minimum tuition of $600 through full tuition of $8,500.

Last edited by DrRich; 05-10-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I put it in here cause it's not really basketball related. I liked that he was one of the 50 greatest players of all time. It was usually stuff he did off the court that made me not like him.

Quote:
Ehh. I'm sure there's a point in this, but I can' quite figure it out. You don't like David Robinson? That's fine; there's quite a few people that I don't like.
I was interested to see if there is at least one other person in SA who agrees with me.
Old 05-10-05, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFelux
I put it in here cause it's not really basketball related. I liked that he was one of the 50 greatest players of all time. It was usually stuff he did off the court that made me not like him.

I was interested to see if there is at least one other person in SA who agrees with me.
I hardly think you will find one person who hates DRob here. Good luck!
Old 05-10-05, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

You may want to back up your supossed "quotes" of David with some actual links! Than again this is a man that spwnt time in the Navy. so I would imagine he would be all for supporting our troops.

Are you suggesting we should not be supporting our troops just because you may or may not agree with what they are being ORDERED to do?
Old 05-10-05, 03:26 PM
BBQ, Beer, & Babes

Quote:
And you are from...where? San Antonio, for all it's small-town charm, is actually somewhat cosmopolitan, at least in some areas. OK, maybe cosmopolitan is carrying it a little too far, but the people that live there are quite a diverse group. Having said that, if I were you, and you were to ever visit San Antonio (assuming you don't live there), I probably wouldn't say what you wrote out loud. I would be willing to bet a dollar to a doughnut that it wasn't wise.

You gave your opinion; here's mine: Steve Nash, for all his MVP'ness, has never served a day in ANY uniform except for a basketball one. Mr. Robinson, on the other hand, served honorably in the United States Navy. Does that make either one of their opinions more valid than the other? Of course not. However, Mr. Robinson has MY respect for what he has done, and is continuing to do, off the court. What annoys you, makes me proud; that which you despise, I idolize.

Amazing, isn't it? I've completely disagreed with you, yet I didn't tell you that I'd lost any respect for you, simply because our opinions differ. I didn't chastise you for any religious belief, or lack thereof, that you may cling to. I didn't denigrate any charitable work you may, or may not, have done.

Bottom line is that I don't know you, ANY FREAKIN' more than you know The Admiral. How pompous and self-righteous must I seem if I were to do that?
Old 05-10-05, 03:32 PM
MomBear

IV. Trolling will not be tolerated. A troll may be defined on a case by case basis, but can generally be defined as an individual with the intent of “riling” people up, disrupting the message boards, without posting anything of significance or substance to the board. Trolls will be dealt with by using a combination of warnings or banishment from the site.
Old 05-10-05, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This thread reinforces my preconceived notions.
Old 05-10-05, 03:49 PM
BBQ, Beer, & Babes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusian
This thread reinforces my preconceived notions.
I think I'll be watching both threads
Old 05-10-05, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
However, nothing ticked me off more than when David Robinson basically told those of us who were againt the war in Iraq to "shut up." As some of you may remember, Steve Nash was a vocal critic of the Iraq war around the time of the All Star break. At the time, David Robinson said something like, "If he doesn't like it, he should go to another country." He also said something to the effect of, "The time for debate is over. It's time to just keep your opinions to yourself and support the troops."

That was when David Robinson lost whatever shred of respect I still had left for him.
i remember the question though i dont think he told nash to shut up. and i assume david to be a republican. does that mean i am obligated to hate him? i disagreed with the war in iraq and still do but that david does not has no effect whatsoever and my very high opinion of him.
Old 05-10-05, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjv
i remember the question though i dont think he told nash to shut up. and i assume david to be a republican. does that mean i am obligated to hate him? i disagreed with the war in iraq and still do but that david does not has no effect whatsoever and my very high opinion of him.

Old 05-10-05, 04:05 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

how could anyone be a Spurs fan and not like DROB?
Old 05-10-05, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I respect the man immensley. We have admired less worthy men in this country than David Robinson.

I agree with some points this thread stated, particularly the basketball aspect. The reason I will never have David Robinson in my own personal Top 5 Centers of All Time was his lack of killer instinct. For all his natural athletic gifts - he didn't burn to win games like the NBA greats of the past, as well as some of his contemporaries did. That is the measure of NBA immortality to me - and Robinson never really displayed that.

It wasn't until he joined with a player who did have those attributes, and more overall skill - that Robinson finally won his elusive NBA Titles.

His stance on religion and politics do bother me occasionally, but simply because I think those matters are (or rather should be) more private. I don't watch David Robinson to be preached to or be told that we should "trust our Government". I respect his position and his career tremendously, but I would like to hear an interview with the Admiral where he doesn't sound as if he's talking down to us.

I think these differenes of opinion however, are not enough for me to waver my undying respect for the man and what he has both done for and meant to this community.

As I stated, we have held lesser men to equal or higher regard than David Robinson, and that's a damn shame.

But the man isn't perfect, and I don't think we should act as if he is.

Last edited by RichB; 05-10-05 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I have a lot of respect for Dave, but am probably a polar opposite as far as politics etc. I would really like to see some documentation of the above comments.

Quote:
But somebody in class said that tuition there is like 20,000 dollars a year, and even with financial aid it's like 7,000. Then one of them recalled reading a newspaper article which stated that there were a bunch of BMWs and Cadillacs in the parking lot of the Carver Academy.
A quick check on the website shows tuition-
Quote:
The Carver Academy offers a family-friendly scholarship plan based on income. The sliding scale begins with a minimum tuition of $600 through full tuition of $8,500.
yep thats' pretty close to 20,000.

Last edited by maddog; 05-10-05 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

And that lack of killer instict only got him 2 titles compared to Barkley and Reggie Miller's.....oh wait they havent won any.
Old 05-10-05, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braeden0613
And that lack of killer instict only got him 2 titles compared to Barkley and Reggie Miller's.....oh wait they havent won any.
Tim Duncan got him those 2 NBA Titles, let's not forget that.

Miller and Barkley both took their teams to the NBA Finals, Robinson never did.

Tim Duncan led the Spurs to 2 NBA Finals.
Old 05-10-05, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Where are the guys with pitch forks and torches when you need them?
Old 05-10-05, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

[quote=JustinFelux]I put it in here cause it's not really basketball related. I liked that he was one of the 50 greatest players of all time. It was usually stuff he did off the court that made me not like him.[QUOTE=JustinFelux]

Was it because off the ocurt he had no "street cred", baby mama's scandals, drugs, rape trials, dvd's threatening tattle-tales?? Its people like you that leave deserving All-Stars off ballots because they dont have a hip-hop appeal to them. You made a comment I found interesting. You criticized Robinson for telling everyone to support the troops, but in the Thread concerning ebonics I believe, you made two posts describing how appealing "presdident" bush is to yourself and the American people. looks like you have your views crossed man.

It was his off the court contributions that made him the fine human being he is.

YOU SUCK JUSTIN!

Oh I am so ready to see the sparks fly from this thread.
SpursReport Team Member

I won't dignify this with a response....oops, I just did.
Old 05-10-05, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
But the main thing that turns me off to David Robinson is how conservative and religious he is. I mean the guy can't go five seconds without mentioning Jesus.
Cant be worse than hearing tim robbins or sean penns political opinion every chance they get the spotlite.
Old 05-10-05, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
This was the only part of the post that didnt sound like it was written by a 3 year old.

Hey Justin, until you growup you will never be able to accomplish anything worthwhile. Tomorrow no one will remember you while Mr Robinson will still be one of SA's favorite sons.
Old 05-10-05, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Let he who is without sin, and has never had to bang against Shaquille O'Neal for 8 something seasons, cast the first stone.

Sincerely,
David Robinson
Shmeep!
Old 05-10-05, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
I have a lot of respect for Dave, but am probably a polar opposite as far as politics etc. I would really like to see some documentation of the above comments.
Same here. Im an Agnostic Democrat. Even though I dont share his opinions on God, I have an incredible amount of respect for David and the things he has done. I also understand his comments on protesting the war. I had my chance to protest the war, and I did so before we went to war. Once the decision was made to go to war, I got in line and stood behind our country, our president, and our troops. I protested again but not voting to re-elect Bush. But Im not going to go on global television and protest the war while our troops are in danger.
Old 05-10-05, 04:28 PM

I can't believe you would insult our Robinson like that. Why don't you grow up and get out of our country if that is how you talk about our admiral.

It's fuggin simple....Dave's cool, you're not, and you're jealous.
Old 05-10-05, 04:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This just in: not only does Justin not like David Robinson, Ray Allen does not like Bruce Bowen.
Old 05-10-05, 04:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

You see, anybody who is not an atheist socialist like JustinFelux is an ignorant, hateful, selfish person, and he'll make up the facts as he needs to along the way to rationalize away any redeeming features the person might appear to have. Clearly, people who are openly conservative and religious are the worst kind of people, and any benevolent or charitable acts on their part have as an ulterior motive their twisted theocratic schemes.

Understand of course, this is because JF is very open-minded, as are all leftists.

At some point, a person can be so consumed by his ideology (right or left) that up becomes down, and right becomes wrong.
Old 05-10-05, 04:43 PM
MomBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Itt
Shmeep!
Now look what you've done..... You've pissed off Cousin Itt...

Old 05-10-05, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin#21
I can't believe you would insult our Robinson like that. Why don't you grow up and get out of our country if that is how you talk about our admiral.

It's fuggin simple....Dave's cool, you're not, and you're jealous.
You tell'em Timmy!
Old 05-10-05, 04:45 PM
BBQ, Beer, & Babes

Justin has been gone since about 2:25 PM. Damn it, I was enjoying this, and now I have to leave....Guess it'll still be here tomorrow (I hope it doesn't get locked )...
Old 05-10-05, 04:46 PM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Let me guess, you don't like the Pope because he's so Catholic?

By your standards, who do you admire? That will tell us more.
Old 05-10-05, 04:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest
Let me guess, you don't like the Pope because he's so Catholic?

By your standards, who do you admire? That will tell us more.
Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot... the ususal.
Old 05-10-05, 04:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

David Robinson is my favorite player past and present.

His stance that people in this country should just shut up and support the troops is probably the only thing I disagreed with him. People should be able to speak freely about the war and other things just like David chose to be openly speak about his beliefs.

Does that diminish my admiration for him? Certainly not.

And for those of you who think he didn't have the fire or desire to become great...that's all hogwash. You don't have to yell after dunks or start fights to show you have any.
Old 05-10-05, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
You got too far, sir. No way the Spurs win the 1999 title without the Admiral. The 2003 title is debatable.

Quote:
Fair enough. Tim was the best player on those teams. However, it's an overstatement to imply that any one player did all the work and everyone else might as well have been on injured reserve.

It's a team game. If it were up to me (and marketing were not an issue), I'd get rid of all individual awards.
Old 05-10-05, 04:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS4
And for those of you who think he didn't have the fire or desire to become great...that's all hogwash. You don't have to yell after dunks or start fights to show you have any.
I don't think he developed that desire until after his skills began to diminish.
Old 05-10-05, 04:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I don't think he developed that desire until after his skills began to diminish.
I agree.
Old 05-10-05, 04:58 PM

Quote:

That's an interseting thought, and certainly open for debate.

But at that point in his career, his legacy was already set IMO. It didn't change what he didn't do when the load was on his shoulders.
Old 05-10-05, 04:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I have a class where we have discussed David Robinson on more than one once. Our professor knows a reporter (I believe for the Express News) and she told him that the one thing they were absolutely forbidden to write about was any story that would reflect negatively on David Robinson.
The most probable reason for the Express News writers being forbidden to write something bad about David is he so incredibly popular that any negitive news would likely be percieved as reflecting worse on the newspaper more than reflecting badly on David.

Secondly, no matter what you think about David's politics or religion he has done more for this city than any of your liberal icons. He has had a DIRECT impact on thousands and thousands of peoples lives.

Quote:
I can understand why there is so much reverence for him here in SA, but honestly, I never liked him. I have been a Spurs fan since I was about eight years old, but I never liked David Robinson. He was too much of a nice guy for me. I think his lack of killer instinct is a big reason we never could get over the hump in those years when he was in his prime. I always liked players who had more attitude, like MJ, Barkley, Reggie Miller, etc.
You are coming across as bitter. What did you physically get out of the Spurs winning the championship in 99? 2003? Me I got nothing but great feeling, memories, and bragging rights over my friends. Now how many people have benefitted directly from David Robinson's generosity? Alot of good that attitude did for Reggie Miller and Barkley because both finished their career without a championship.

Quote:
But the main thing that turns me off to David Robinson is how conservative and religious he is. I mean the guy can't go five seconds without mentioning Jesus. It's annoying. Plus, all the sucking up Governor Rick Perry did to him after his retirement made me want to throw up. If I were an NBA star I wouldn't let that guy come anywhere near me, much less use me to promote himself.
So you hate a person for wanting to be a good person? You hate him for his political views? How very Nazi of you. You need to get over your liberal political bias BS because all that hate is going to kill you.

Quote:
The other day in class we were talking about the Carver Academy, which I have heard referred to more than once as a "school for underprivileged children on San Antonio's East Side." But somebody in class said that tuition there is like 20,000 dollars a year, and even with financial aid it's like 7,000. Then one of them recalled reading a newspaper article which stated that there were a bunch of BMWs and Cadillacs in the parking lot of the Carver Academy.
I know for a fact that a good portion of the kids at the Carver Academy pay zero tuition, David has picked up the tab and is giving these kids an elite education in the most important years of their lives. These kids are leaving the Carver Academy with high school reading levels, high school math skills and when they finish high school they will more than be ready for college. As for the cars in the parking lot? Keep in mind that David Robinson's aim when starting this school was to attract the best educators available and pay them what they are worth.

I see nothing but baseless hate on a guy trying to help people like you, you have my pitty. BTW I live in Minneapolis which also happens to be one of the most liberal places on earth. The People here love David Robinson as much as they love Al Frankin who happens to be from here. David is an icon for how the rich should treat their money.

Quote:
Then the professor noted that he heard an advertisement for the Carver Academy during Rush Limbaugh. If the Carver Academy is for "underprivileged children on San Antonio's East Side" then why are there advertisements for it on Rush Limbaugh (there ain't very many folks on the east side listening to that racist pig).
More hate for his political ideals, if you think liberals are all good and conservatives are all bad you are narrow minded and need to spend time in Cuba or China to see what happens when the government controls everything.

Quote:

David is a soldier, he backs his troops and will fight his battles on the home front to protect their morale. And if you don't think that the protest hurt morale you know nothing about our soldiers and their situation. I'm not 100% behind the war but I do feel that if we are going to have peace in the middle east it has to start with getting rid of the elements that are hell bent on conquest. David is a graduate of the Naval Academy and is everything I wish I was and for my children to become.

When I read you stuff I don't get that same feeling, maybe its because you seem to hate all that is good and cherish all that is crappy in this world.

Quote:
You can take my post as a flame, but I pitty you and I hope I never have to meet you.
Old 05-10-05, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem
You got too far, sir. No way the Spurs win the 1999 title without the Admiral. The 2003 title is debatable.
We can say the same thing about the Broncos of the late 90's. They probably don't win SuperBowls without contributions from John Elway - but he wasn't the primary reason they won them.Terrel Davis was.

Robinson was great in the 99 post-season, but Tim Duncan was the primary reason they won.
Old 05-10-05, 05:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Miller and Barkley both took their teams to the NBA Finals, Robinson never did.

agreed we did not start winning titles until duncan arrived but he is by far the most unselfish player i have ever seen. the guy gave duncan the power his rookie season because he wanted to win. i love how drob put the team 1st and himself 2nd and he wanted duncan to be a great player and he knew winning a ring would require that.
Old 05-10-05, 05:02 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

I for one, am not a Tim Duncan fan.

Old 05-10-05, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

as a side note, manu is quickly becoming my all time favorite spur (sorry big dave and ice)
Old 05-10-05, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I can understand why there is so much reverence for him here in SA, but honestly, I never liked him. I have been a Spurs fan since I was about eight years old, but I never liked David Robinson. He was too much of a nice guy for me.
Yeah, I mean afterall, people like him should be burned at the stake for giving away millions of dollars to help other people become educated and make something of themselves....DAMN HIM !!!

On second thought lets round up all those other "do gooders" like the Pope, Mother Theresa and selfless social workers and stone them as well !!

Quote:
I think his lack of killer instinct is a big reason we never could get over the hump in those years when he was in his prime. I always liked players who had more attitude, like MJ, Barkley, Reggie Miller, etc.
I wonder how Tim won 2 championships. He doesn't pound his chest like a goon, or scream at the top of his lungs everytime he makes a shot. I mean TD aka Mr. Poker Face certainly could not have won by simply acting lke a professional could he?

How many championships did Barkley's and Miller's "attitude" and "killer instinct" win them ? as we all know, ya can't win without it right ?

Quote:
My mothers sisters husbands brothers uncle told me that Buckner Fanning was really a demon straight from the pits of hell, and he was here for the sole reason of bringing about pain and suffering throughout the world.

This must be true, as I would never question the honesty of my mothers sisters husbands brothers uncle

Quick lesson on economics here:

PRIVATE schools are NOT funded by the state, thus the tuition costs more...I know thats hard to understand, but stay with me here..I don't was to lose ya...more to come:

Most all elite level private school teachers make considerably more money than public school teachers due to specialization and or Masters requirements needed to teach in a private school setting....yes, this means they can often afford nicer cars...DAMN THEM !!!

Quote:
First of all, you are greatly simplifying what as said, and downright making this up. D'Rob said that whatever we thought about the war...agree or disagree with it, the troops were already over there, and he felt it was our duty as Americans to support them.

So was it "something to the effect of", "something like", or "basically"? Way to use that precise recount of D'Rob's quotes there.

So terrible of an ex-navy guy to support the American troops---DAMN HIM AGAIN !!!

And in the true spirit of hipocracy I saved the best for last

Quote:
So here you are BLASTING D'Rob for expressing his political and religious views, but its CLEARLY obvious that you are doing, and have done the same.

I'm on to you. I know what pisses you off so bad...wanna hear it?

You are so pissed at D'Rob because when he voices his political and religious views he has an audience, and when you do, nobody gives a $hit

PS: Its not to late to sign up for some education via the Carver Academy.
I'm sure you could get a free ride there. Just print out this fallacy laden irratonal illogical heap of hipocracy you typed when starting this thread and I'm sure they will feel pity for you

Last edited by callo1; 05-10-05 at 06:21 PM.
Closed Thread