News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-05, 04:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

David Robinson was unfairly criticized for not winning the championship before Tim got there. He was the main reason they were any good at all. Why was it up to him to do more?

He was playing on a team that had Vinnie del Negro as a starter, for crissake. It's amazing they ever won a playoff series at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-05, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
I for one, am not a Tim Duncan fan.

Double heresy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-05, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:

OK, I'll bite.

Why Amente?

Is is his game you aren't a fan of - or more his less than engaging personality?

Or are you just pulling our leg?
Old 05-10-05, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Give me a break, you don't like Drob because of his praise for Jesus.

Satan is that you? Drob doesn't like you either

And as far as not having a killer instinct, TD doesn't either. Niether of them are emotional chest thumping thugs, and both of them are responsible for the championships.
Old 05-10-05, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I know that Amente doesn't like TD... nor TP right? I think it's cos of their personalities, Rich.
Old 05-10-05, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Does Tim know this?
Old 05-10-05, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusian
.... Clearly, people who are openly conservative and religious are the worst kind of people, and any benevolent or charitable acts on their part have as an ulterior motive their twisted theocratic schemes.
shhhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.
Old 05-10-05, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
OK, I'll bite.

Why Amente?

Is is his game you aren't a fan of - or more his less than engaging personality?
The latter.
Love his game and the fact he's a spur, etc. but I just have never been
a Duncan fan where I am going to go out and buy his jersey or get
his autograph, so forth and so forth.
Old 05-10-05, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I never liked David Robinson. He was too much of a nice guy for me.
I dont get that at all. Do you only like mean people or people that act like a$$holes?

Why would someone dislike someone because they happen to be a really good guy. That makes no sense to me. Damn david for being a quality person. How dare he. If only he were an ass...maybe you would have liked him more

As for DROB's impact on the 1999 title....he was a Big part of that title. Tim Duncan was too...but they dont win it without DROB. He was a key to that incredible defense. He Avg about 16 and 10 that year....hardly just an after thought. In 2003...he clearly had health issue...but still helped SA win games. He had that awesome game to close his career against NJ
Old 05-10-05, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
We can say the same thing about the Broncos of the late 90's. They probably don't win SuperBowls without contributions from John Elway - but he wasn't the primary reason they won them.Terrel Davis was.

Robinson was great in the 99 post-season, but Tim Duncan was the primary reason they won.
Yes, Tim was the primary reason, but I take issue with the notion that Tim "got DRob" the championships.

But the young Admiral never got to play with someone remotely as good as an aging Duncan. Imagine a 35-year-old Timmy playing with a 24-year-old DRob: Would the results have been different? Better perhaps.

I will agree that King Hakeem beats out the Admiral on the all-time list because of the two titles he and the Rockets earned while David was surrounded by similar talent on the Spurs. But if you put a young Admiral on this year's Spurs team, I don't know that we'd be worse off.

As far as your statment about the Broncos, wasn't Elway the MVP of the second game? And couldn't Mike Utley run for big yardage in a Shanahan offense?
Old 05-10-05, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

DROB is come down too hard on for not winning a title before Duncan

Considering the ownership changes, the piece of sh!t teams he was on many years, the state of the franchise before Pop etc..

There wasnt hardly any years in there SA had a team that could even think about championship
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
But the main thing that turns me off to David Robinson is how conservative and religious he is. I mean the guy can't go five seconds without mentioning Jesus. It's annoying. Plus, all the sucking up Governor Rick Perry did to him after his retirement made me want to throw up. If I were an NBA star I wouldn't let that guy come anywhere near me, much less use me to promote himself.

In all the time I spoke to David Robinson it was rare that he mentioned Jesus.
Those times he did were no different when any athlete declares "first let me thank Jesus/God for "
David does mention Jesus quite a bit now but then ... ah ..that's his
vocation now; a preacher.
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
I dont get that at all. Do you only like mean people or people that act like a$$holes?
No he only like celebraties and professional atheletes who are azzholes because he doesn't have to deal with them on a personal level. If he had to deal with them personally on a daily basis I find it hard to believe he would enjoy the company of a total azz then a nice person, but after reading his post maybe
Old 05-10-05, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

We sure a Mod didn't start this thread to generate traffic?

Old 05-10-05, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
We sure a Mod didn't start this thread to generate trafiic?

Raygina has done that all by himself
Old 05-10-05, 04:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

My freshmen year of college at Incarnate Word (96), David RObinson and Charles Smith are shooting around in the convocation center and then shouts out at me and a work study co-worker if we'd like to play horse. I will never forget. At first when we saw him in the gym, we stopped ourselves from asking for his autograph and instead chose to respect his privacy, but it was him who asked two average guys to join them for a game of horse. I doubt there are other athletes like that. What a day that was, he was just awesome.
Old 05-10-05, 04:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This was really dumb! I think the dumbest thing I've ever read! No it is the dumbest thing I've ever read! No really it is the dumbest thing I've ever read!!
Old 05-10-05, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by callo1

Most all private school teachers make considerably more money than public school teachers due to specialization and or Masters requirements needed to teach in a private school setting....yes, this means they can often afford nicer cars...DAMN THEM !!!
Not sure about that quote - and NOT busting your chops, I liked you post - but I found out yesterday that the Headmaster of my children's school (5th, 1st & Pre-K) - works as a WAITER at Grey-Moss Inn on weekends to help make ends meet. Forget that masters B.S., dude has a Ph. Freaking D. - economics, no less. Even the most expensive private schools in SA +-10 - 12K per year (Keystone, SA Academy, TMI) aren't competive w/the public schools because they don't have the unlimited supply of funds our tax dollars provide (I pay $605 per month year round for my kids to go to that school; BUT I PAY MORE IN SCHOOL TAXES THAN THAT!! - as do all of my neighbors with no children in any school) - no contest, salary wise - you simply can't collect enough tuition (or grants, etc.) to make up for that base of revenue.

The reason the teachers have nice cars is because they often don't need the income at all (my wife has a Ph.D. in biochemistry & is considering teaching AP Science at my kid's school). Job pays $17K/yr. She could make 42 + starting at NISD (46-48 at SAISD). Any of those, or no job at all, she drives a nice car.
Old 05-10-05, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas
My freshmen year of college at Incarnate Word (96), David RObinson and Charles Smith are shooting around in the convocation center and then shouts out at me and a work study co-worker if we'd like to play horse. I will never forget. At first when we saw him in the gym, we stopped ourselves from asking for his autograph and instead chose to respect his privacy, but it was him who asked two average guys to join them for a game of horse. I doubt there are other athletes like that. What a day that was, he was just awesome.

Wow! thats awesome!
Old 05-10-05, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
That really is awesome.

Did you beat them?
Old 05-10-05, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Then one of them recalled reading a newspaper article which stated that there were a bunch of BMWs and Cadillacs in the parking lot of the Carver Academy.
Are those old cars?
WITF drives a BMW anymore?

Anyway, I see what many consider expensive autos in certain places that I would think I have no business being there but so what?
Those people's spouses could also make a nice income, hell, with auto leases now almost anyone can be driving a BMW or caddy.
Things are no longer as black and white as they used to be.
Old 05-10-05, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem
That really is awesome.

Did you beat them?
They were shooting nothing but 3's, all of a sudden I couldnt hit anything. Eventually we had to go back to work. And I forgot to get his autograph!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-05, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
They were shooting nothing but 3's, all of a sudden I couldnt hit anything.
The freakin' Admiral never would work on his low-post game....
SpursReport Team Bench

Ha ha, that was proof!!
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem
That really is awesome.

Did you beat them?

Must have since we all know both David and Charles Smith
were soft and couldn't take the pressure of competing against
two IW students.
Old 05-10-05, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Tim Duncan got him those 2 NBA Titles, let's not forget that.

Miller and Barkley both took their teams to the NBA Finals, Robinson never did.

Tim Duncan led the Spurs to 2 NBA Finals.
I agree but i think without Drob in 99 and maybe in 03 they wouldnt have won the title.
Old 05-10-05, 04:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Must have since we all know both David and Charles Smith
were soft and couldn't take the pressure of competing against
two IW students.

Old 05-10-05, 04:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101A
Not sure about that quote - and NOT busting your chops, I liked you post - but I found out yesterday that the Headmaster of my children's school (5th, 1st & Pre-K) - works as a WAITER at Grey-Moss Inn on weekends to help make ends meet. Forget that masters B.S., dude has a Ph. Freaking D. - economics, no less. Even the most expensive private schools in SA +-10 - 12K per year (Keystone, SA Academy, TMI) aren't competive w/the public schools because they don't have the unlimited supply of funds our tax dollars provide (I pay $605 per month year round for my kids to go to that school; BUT I PAY MORE IN SCHOOL TAXES THAN THAT!! - as do all of my neighbors with no children in any school) - no contest, salary wise - you simply can't collect enough tuition (or grants, etc.) to make up for that base of revenue.

The reason the teachers have nice cars is because they often don't need the income at all (my wife has a Ph.D. in biochemistry & is considering teaching AP Science at my kid's school). Job pays $17K/yr. She could make 42 + starting at NISD (46-48 at SAISD). Any of those, or no job at all, she drives a nice car.
Glad you liked the rest of the post.

My meaning was those teachers that teach in the upper level or elite level private school setting. Pardon me for leaving that out, as I was a bit pissed when typing my initial post. My post has been modified and corrected accordingly.
Old 05-10-05, 05:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
In all the time I spoke to David Robinson it was rare that he mentioned Jesus.
I was thinking the same thing - I never heard David talk about God/Jesus anymore than anyone else in postgame interviews on tv or whatever. Sure, if they were doing an expose' story on his life, then he did - but why not? His Christianity is part of his life.

This is a weird thread to start in the middle of a playoff run - disliking David when Spurs fans should be rallying together.
Old 05-10-05, 05:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yup...looks like $20,000 to me. If you're going to spew forth garbage, at least dump it in it's proper can.
http://www.thecarveracademy.org/publ...4?opendocument

Tuition

The Carver Academy offers a family-friendly scholarship plan based on income. The sliding scale begins with a minimum tuition of $600 through full tuition of $8,500.
Old 05-10-05, 05:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This post is ridiculous in light of what David has meant to the city of San Antonio, the Spurs, and Spurs fans.

If you don't like David Robinson, you're not a Spurs fan.

-Bruce Bowen
Old 05-10-05, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's a hero in my book!

DR is my favorite Spur of all time. I didn't like his statements leading up to the war, esp. about getting out of the country if you didn't like Bush's decision to go to war. But that was the only time he disappointed me. But guess what, people do that...they disappoint you sometime in your life. Therefore, DR is human like all of us!

I loved his tomahawk dunks and turnaround alley oops, his charity and the fact he's a Christian. I don't mind the mentioning of Jesus...better than hearing other things.

But hey DR's a great human being I think. I appreciate his courage and his humility as well.

Let's go Spurs!

Old 05-10-05, 05:35 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

i can understand a Spurs fan not having DROB as their fav player when he was here

everyone has their favs on the team each year

I dont see how someone could be a fan of the Spurs during the DROB years and not like him at all!

Thats like saying you were a bulls fan during the MJ years but hated Jordan. Makes no sense.
Old 05-10-05, 05:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFelux
I put it in here cause it's not really basketball related. I liked that he was one of the 50 greatest players of all time. It was usually stuff he did off the court that made me not like him.

I was interested to see if there is at least one other person in SA who agrees with me.

Your just JEALOUS and wish you could be like him
Old 05-10-05, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChillFactor
This post is ridiculous in light of what David has meant to the city of San Antonio, the Spurs, and Spurs fans.

If you don't like David Robinson, you're not a Spurs fan.
That's unfair. I'm sure there are long-time fans that still pine for the days of George Gervin and co.

I'm sure there are old Lakers fans that never took to Shaq or Kobe. Celtic fans that don't care for Paul Pierce. Knick fans that hated Ewing, etc, etc.

I don't think it makes you less of a fan of the Spurs if you don't share the belief that David Robinson does no wrong and walks on water.

Old 05-10-05, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

You have something against him becaus ehe mentions Jesus a lot? What the heck? For those of us whose lives have been changed by Christ it's almost impossible for us NOT to talk about Him.
Old 05-10-05, 05:42 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I don't think it makes you less of a fan of the Spurs if you don't share the belief that David Robinson does no wrong and walks on water.
as I said above....I dont see how you could be a fan of the Spurs though all the DROB years and not like the guy.

no one said you had to think he does no wrong or walks on water

hell...I can see how he wouldnt be everyones fav player during those times

but DROB was the face of the entire franchise for years and years. It makes no sense to me that anyone would be a Spur fan during that time and not like DROB at all

like I said..its like being a bulls fan though the title years and hating MJ
Old 05-10-05, 05:44 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

This is not an issue of religion, it's the fact that Christ is our best friend. Imagine your best friend saving your life, it'd be hard for you not to talk about something like that, a man who died for you. We can't be asked to be silent about something it's important. A proud husband beams about his wife, an appreciative friend talks about their best friend.
Old 05-10-05, 05:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

wanna know why he mentions Jesus????

hey justin, do u wanna know WHY mr. robinson mentions Jesus every 5 minutes?!?!??

maybe because Jesus Christ IS SUPREME and rules over any little NBA basketball game...
may God take away the blindness from your heart....
Old 05-10-05, 05:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbarton
Shaq? Is that you?
I think Shaq knows a grand total of five of the words that were used in that rant.

"They say that mercy is the mark of a great man ... guess I'm just a good man ... well I'm alright."
http://www.myspace.com/b_hath
Old 05-10-05, 05:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Hey JustinFelux.........remember this?
Quote:
I would yawn and cough loudly during an "opening prayer" if they had one at the Spurs game. I don't go to a sports event to get somebody's religion shoved in my face.
Dude, sounds like your problem isn't with David Robinson as a player.

Sounds like you have an issue with religion. Perhaps an issue with God.

I dunno.

You have a hatred thing going on with Lance Blanks as well.
So maybe you have an issue with black people in general?

I'm not saying you do, but geez.......2/2 on slamming black Spurs personnel?

Quote:
(George W.) Bush spent his Vietnam years getting wasted and having sex with numerous women.
Ah....you must be a liberal Bush-hater......Wait.....hold on......

Quote:
(Re: Clinton having emergency heart surgery)
Bill Clinton's health isn't much of an issue to me. I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if he died.
OK, so we have slamming of leaders, regardless of party affiliation.

I may not be the smartest guy on the block, but I suspect you have religion/God issues, combined with possible issues of disliking successfull black people, combined with issues of disliking people in positions of power, with a big hint of disliking anyone richer, more successful than you.

I look forward to your reply, but remember........these are just my suspicions.

I'm not saying they are 100% true.
You can counter them left and right all you want, agree, disagree, complain that what I've said is unfair, but the fact is.....you have some issues.

Last edited by To be named later; 05-10-05 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

you call yourself a spurs fan???
Old 05-10-05, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

It's surprising - not outright wrong - but surprising that someone could dislike Robinson and still be a fan of the team.

It seems that for a lot of fans, Robinson offered something different in professional sports. He is a humble guy with an obvious respect for his peers and the fans alike, a man who kept his more reactionary instincts at bay while competing, thus seldom losing his focus. Robinson may not have gotten to the summit before Duncan came along, but he was always gracious and honest in defeat. There were no excuses.

The media-happy egomaniac athlete reached new heights in the 1990's, when self-promotion was seemingly on a par with winning. For the casual fan who disliked that element, Robinson was a blessing - pardon the wordplay.

For me personally, that was gravy. Robinson is great for those reasons, but any guy wearing the Silver and Black gets the benefit of the doubt. I used to defend Dennis Rodman with a straight face.
Old 05-10-05, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNCANistheKEY
hey justin, do u wanna know WHY mr. robinson mentions Jesus every 5 minutes?!?!??

maybe because Jesus Christ IS SUPREME and rules over any little NBA basketball game...
may God take away the blindness from your heart....

Behold.....

The Admiral and Jesus!
Old 05-10-05, 06:09 PM
MomBear

Old 05-10-05, 06:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I have a class where we have discussed David Robinson on more than one once. Our professor knows a reporter (I believe for the Express News) and she told him that the one thing they were absolutely forbidden to write about was any story that would reflect negatively on David Robinson.

I can understand why there is so much reverence for him here in SA, but honestly, I never liked him. I have been a Spurs fan since I was about eight years old, but I never liked David Robinson. He was too much of a nice guy for me. I think his lack of killer instinct is a big reason we never could get over the hump in those years when he was in his prime. I always liked players who had more attitude, like MJ, Barkley, Reggie Miller, etc.

But the main thing that turns me off to David Robinson is how conservative and religious he is. I mean the guy can't go five seconds without mentioning Jesus. It's annoying. Plus, all the sucking up Governor Rick Perry did to him after his retirement made me want to throw up. If I were an NBA star I wouldn't let that guy come anywhere near me, much less use me to promote himself.

The other day in class we were talking about the Carver Academy, which I have heard referred to more than once as a "school for underprivileged children on San Antonio's East Side." But somebody in class said that tuition there is like 20,000 dollars a year, and even with financial aid it's like 7,000. Then one of them recalled reading a newspaper article which stated that there were a bunch of BMWs and Cadillacs in the parking lot of the Carver Academy.

Then the professor noted that he heard an advertisement for the Carver Academy during Rush Limbaugh. If the Carver Academy is for "underprivileged children on San Antonio's East Side" then why are there advertisements for it on Rush Limbaugh (there ain't very many folks on the east side listening to that racist pig).

However, nothing ticked me off more than when David Robinson basically told those of us who were againt the war in Iraq to "shut up." As some of you may remember, Steve Nash was a vocal critic of the Iraq war around the time of the All Star break. At the time, David Robinson said something like, "If he doesn't like it, he should go to another country." He also said something to the effect of, "The time for debate is over. It's time to just keep your opinions to yourself and support the troops."

That was when David Robinson lost whatever shred of respect I still had left for him.

Now I will go put on my fire-retardant nightwear.
not because you dislike someone you have to act like an *******
Old 05-10-05, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin#21
Behold.....

The Admiral and Jesus!
Now, that would explain alot.

But I went to church four weeks in a row and Steve Nash still got MVP!

So I have my doubts about that Merlin.
Old 05-10-05, 06:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

David Robinson doesnt like you either so that pretty much evens it out ...next!
Old 05-10-05, 06:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

It's ok for folks like the Dixie Chicks, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and the ilk to spew their venom and when conservatives and Christians speak, it's bad. It's funny how the leftist preach tolerance and diversity and if you don't fall in line with them, you're an extremist.

Sorry had to vent
Old 05-10-05, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by callo1
You are so pissed at D'Rob because when he voices his political and religious views he has an audience, and when you do, nobody gives a $hit
I think callo1 may have hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
You have something against him becaus ehe mentions Jesus a lot? What the heck? For those of us whose lives have been changed by Christ it's almost impossible for us NOT to talk about Him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
This is not an issue of religion, it's the fact that Christ is our best friend. Imagine your best friend saving your life, it'd be hard for you not to talk about something like that, a man who died for you. We can't be asked to be silent about something it's important. A proud husband beams about his wife, an appreciative friend talks about their best friend.
JasonR, you are so correct. We Christians have a deep appreciation for Jesus - imagine that! But I've NEVER heard DRob direct others' to agree with him in this aspect. He's simply expressed his relationship to Jesus with confidence. What's wrong with that? Just because someone tells me he loves his wife and owes all his success to her, doesn't mean I have to love his wife, too! Geeeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Sounds like you have an issue with religion. Perhaps an issue with God . . . I may not be the smartest guy on the block, but I suspect you have religion/God issues, combined with possible issues of disliking successfull black people, combined with issues of disliking people in positions of power, with a big hint of disliking anyone richer, more successful than you.
TBNL, I believe you too have hit the nail on the head.

Justin, you clearly has some self-identity issues. DRob has been a model man, citizen, and professional. So you don't like his Christianity? Big deal; get over it. So you don't like that he cleared the table on the support of troops issue? Big deal; get over it. DRob tells you like it is, and he owes you nothing. You don't have to agree with him, and he's never asked or expected you to do so. So grow up, get a life, and move on to some other location that cares about your childish rants. Harsh, I know . . . but it's clearly what you need to hear, as you've attacked a man who's done so much for so many with so little in personal gain to himself.

BTW: whether or not DRob won either or both of those titles or if Timmy won either or both for him, one thing is clear: SAN ANTONIO WOULD NOT HAVE 2 NBA TITLES IF IT WEREN'T FOR DROB, BECAUSE SAN ANTONIO WOULD NOT HAVE THE SPURS IF IT WASN'T FOR DROB.

Oh, and I recall vividly what DRob said about Nash and his disagreement with the war in Iraq. DRob did not directly say he ought to leave the country, but he did imply it. And I for one agree with that implication. Protesting the use of troops while those troops are in harm's way is simply wrong. Protest beforehand, protest afterwards, but bite your lip until they return, because every single thing you say affects morale, whether you want it to or not. So if you really care about the troops, you'll hold your tongue until they return, respecting that they want to complete their assigned duties as quickly and effectively and safely as possible, with as little encumbrance (both foreign AND domestic) as possible. Granted, we all have the right to free speach. I'm simply saying some prudence and wearing of a bigger hat is in order while our men and women are in harm's way. After that, you can kick and cuss and rant and rave all you want.