SpursReport.com
Old 05-10-05, 12:14 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

MySA: Allen questionable for game 2

Sonics lack panacea for injuries
Web Posted: 05/10/2005 12:00 AM CDT
Mike Finger
San Antonio Express-News

After the Seattle SuperSonics woke up Monday morning with all sorts of aches and sprains — to their ankles, their psyches, their running game and their defense — they began their search for a cure-all.

Coach Nate McMillan didn't have one. Nor did overworked team trainers Frank Furtado and Mike Shimensky.

In fact, it was getting to the point where Flora Allen, the mother of Seattle's gimpy star guard, might have been closer to convincing the Sonics to try her own multi-purpose remedy:

Clay dirt.

"She says that every time," said Ray Allen, who sprained his ankle Sunday in the Spurs' 103-81 victory over the Sonics in Game 1 of their Western Conference semifinal series. "Every time I'm sore, or anything happens, or I get elbowed, Mom says to put clay dirt on it. I'm like, 'Mom, we've got highly trained people who have gone to school for many years. I'm not putting clay dirt on my body.'"

Even if the Sonics aren't panicked enough to start scouring South Texas for good soil, they do realize they need to find a solution to their Game 1 woes in a hurry.

Allen, who led the NBA in scoring during the first round of the playoffs, did not practice Monday and is questionable for tonight's Game 2. Vladimir Radmanovic, who sprained his ankle moments before Allen, is almost certainly out for the rest of the series, McMillan said.

Injuries aren't the Sonics' only problems. In Game 1, they allowed Tony Parker (29 points) and Tim Duncan (22 points) to get to the basket just about any time they wanted. They were out-rebounded by the Spurs 46-31. They had only four fast-break points and two 3-pointers, both crucial areas in their efforts to beat the Spurs.

And now they have to address all of those issues while possibly going without their best player, even though McMillan said Allen's potential absence won't change the Sonics' approach.

"Basically, our attack won't be much different," McMillan said. "We'll be going with the same schemes and the same strategy."

That strategy clearly has a better chance to work if it includes Allen, who rolled his ankle while driving past Bruce Bowen in the second quarter. Allen, a longtime critic of Bowen's style of play, initially blamed the Spurs forward for the injury.

Regardless of how it happened, Allen said he won't know his availability for tonight until shortly before tipoff. He sounded confident in his ability to contribute even if he isn't 100 percent.

"You just have to respond to it," Allen said. "I've twisted my ankle before. It's not anything that's going to send me into a downward spiral."

If Allen can't play, Ronald Murray — an accomplished scorer — and Damien Wilkins will see more time. And Allen doesn't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

"They've won without me before," Allen said. "They (the reserves) know what they're capable of doing. ... I think it could make them more dangerous because it could potentially cause the other team to let up a little bit, thinking these guys can't play, but they can."

Link
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-05, 12:15 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Even if he doesn't play game two that idiot is just questionable in all areas........
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-05, 12:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The only reason he doesn't play is because he doesn't want to see the slaughter first-hand. He was barely even limping (actually, I didn't see any limp) when he left the court on Sunday, he just abandoned his team.
Old 05-10-05, 01:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I thought the same thing myzte while watching the game. I watched the game at my dad's house on Sunday, and he commented that he thought Ray had no heart.
Old 05-10-05, 01:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Ya...that was the weakest sprain I've seen. He either:
1) doesn't wanna play
2) thinks he's playing head games with us.

Get out there and play Wussboy!

Sith
Old 05-10-05, 02:02 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Ray is not hurt,Uh ok he is hurt emotionally!!!!!LOLOL If he is ok for game 2 he wont be 100% and Bowen will be a factor.. Look for this to be the main attraction and the Spurs will go up 2-0!!!!
Old 05-10-05, 02:05 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

He'll play. Ray just wants attention. The dude is a walking coincidence.
Old 05-10-05, 06:36 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

if he doesnt play

then he is truly the Raygina
Old 05-10-05, 07:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

he put his slightly sprained ankle before his team, obviously he's more worried about next year and how much he can get on the free agent market... he truly is a sad loser
Old 05-10-05, 07:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

So is Allen questionable for Game 2 because of the ankle, or because of his menstrual cramps?
Old 05-10-05, 05:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

broos bown si teh e vil!!111!!