News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-09-05, 10:58 PM
Now With More Eye of Newt

Amare's Nickname for Himself: S.T.A.T.

Standing Tall and Talented

no joke.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-05, 10:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

when and where did he say that?
11-Time NBA All-Star
3-Time NBA Finals MVP
3-Time NBA Champion
2-Time NBA MVP

And Still Going...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-05, 11:00 PM
Now With More Eye of Newt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstheman
when and where did he say that?
the commentator on TNT said that is what Amare said.
Old 05-09-05, 11:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well... it is more or less true

Still, it reminds me of a 4th grader calling himself T.U.R.B.O. or something
Old 05-09-05, 11:02 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I believe there was a competition on the Phoenix Suns website a few years back, and S.T.A.T was the one that won that competition.

I don't think he named himself that.
Old 05-09-05, 11:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Even if he did say that, it's pretty well true, isn't it?
Old 05-09-05, 11:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

yup
Old 05-10-05, 12:23 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I beleive he has it tattoo with STAT.
Old 05-10-05, 12:36 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yeah, he gave the name to himself. I remember getting the scoop on it over at the Sun's site a few months ago.
Old 05-10-05, 12:43 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

yeah, in SI it mentioned that it was a nick name given to him by his family.
Old 05-10-05, 12:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Isn't STAT an STD or something. Oh well, whatever works for the lad.

Sith
Old 05-10-05, 12:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Righteous sig pix, Sith.
Have you prepared your next ones, as in Nash and O'Neal/Wallace hepless in that lovely embrace?
Old 05-10-05, 12:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Well the tattoo on his neck says "Black Jesus"
Old 05-10-05, 01:06 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
Righteous sig pix, Sith.
Have you prepared your next ones, as in Nash and O'Neal/Wallace hepless in that lovely embrace?
I have the WCF ready, and know what im doing for the finals.

When we get there...I KNOW people will love it!

Sith
Old 05-10-05, 06:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

s.t.a.t = saw tim at tacos
Old 05-10-05, 06:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos

Still, it reminds me of a 4th grader calling himself T.U.R.B.O. or something
Old 05-10-05, 08:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hey Amare -- drop and give me 20.
Old 05-10-05, 08:23 AM
The Master Baiter

S.T.A.T=Soon Tobe Abused by Tim
Old 05-10-05, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It's not so much that S.T.A.T. comes across as cocky, but I can't wait to see what stupid immature comment comes out of his mouth when the Suns face some adversity...shey've faced NONE. NONE.

Quote from Amare Stoudemire on how the Mavericks will adjust to his 40 point performance in game 1: "They'll probably throw double or triple teams at me..." !! Is he joking???!?! It's a good thing Amare isn't a coach. He's NOT a player that needs a double team unless you're a foot smaller. He's not a great ball handler and doesn't have the patience that the great post players do. He's sounding exactly like Shaq...I swear. He does NOT command that kind of respect. He's a gifted athlete, but like Karl Malone would be a career 19-20 ppg scorer in his career without John Stockton, Amare would be even lesser.
Old 05-10-05, 08:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

When did the NBA become a chat room?

Amare picks his own handle? Considering the object, I'd say G.E.D. is a more appropriate acronym.
Old 05-10-05, 08:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

no one can guard him one on one, if he can burn duncan for over 30 every game this year he surely should demand double and triple teams.
Old 05-10-05, 08:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSMANIA300
no one can guard him one on one, if he can burn duncan for over 30 every game this year he surely should demand double and triple teams.
Dude, get off the Suns nuts already!

The key to PHX is controlling Nash off the pick and roll. Amare's S.T.A.T.s come from D.U.N.K.s nicely set up by the Canadian MVP. If Amare gets the ball with his back to the basket, there really is no need to double team, his low-post game is not as refined as it may eventually be. Keep Nash out of the lane of those screens, and you'll have more success stopping them. However, the reality of this is that you're not really ever going to "stop" PHX, but they don't defend at all. If you can slow them enough to keep pace, you're going to win the game.
Old 05-10-05, 08:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

it's not his post game it's face the basket game that makes him unstoppable...he is too quick for every guy that guards him. There isn't a player in the NBA who he doesn't blow by. The pick and rolls they do helps amare but one on one face to the basket, he can score whenever he wishes.
Old 05-10-05, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
he can score whenever he wishes.
Then why doesn't he?

Because he is one dimensional, that's why. He can be defended. He'll score 15 pts a game on sheer athleticism, 15 more from Nash. But you can stay in front of him if you force him to shoot jumpers. And for his size and athleticism he (like Nash) is not a strong defensive player. You can get position on him, and you can bait him into foul trouble.
Old 05-10-05, 08:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
How many points did Amare score when the Spurs beat the Suns by 21?
Old 05-10-05, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

he scores 26 a game on 55% shooting or whatever it is...he can score when he wants but the suns have so many scorers they like to share the ball and get everyone involved and even his jump shot has improved alot. He is knocking that down alot more. Amare hardly ever gets into foul trouble..so sorry don't agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusian
How many points did Amare score when the Spurs beat the Suns by 21?
37 points If I remember right and he barely missed.
Old 05-10-05, 08:55 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
he scores 26 a game on 55% shooting or whatever it is...he can score when he wants but the suns have so many scorers they like to share the ball and get everyone involved and even his jump shot has improved alot. He is knocking that down alot more. Amare hardly ever gets into foul trouble..so sorry don't agree

And Dampier's a great center too huh?
Old 05-10-05, 09:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Damp is a good center but he is clearly struggling lately.He hasn't been the same since his injury. Which is a shame as he was putting up 13 and 13 with 3 blocks almost every night for a good 10 games or so.
Old 05-10-05, 09:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

You keep skating the fact that these Suns DO NOT DEFEND. And that is a glaring weakness that has been and will be exposed by the Spurs. It doesn't matter much if you score 37 and your team loses.
Old 05-10-05, 09:03 AM
The Master Baiter

Amare is very athletic, so yes he will usually blow by his defender, even if it is Tim. But that's when your other big man, Rasho/Nazr/Horry slides over to help (i'm talking when he is in the post). He will not pass the ball! He will try to force his shot. That is why slowing down the game is so important with the Suns. Like someone already said, he will get points off a few Spurs TO's and fastbreaks, but you can limit his effectiveness.
Old 05-10-05, 09:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I dont like the dude. What is his stat against the spurs?
Old 05-10-05, 09:40 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
MVP Nash was the big reason Amare got those 40 points with 13 assists. His job is to create for his team thats why what he did. Seriously quit your hating. Nash won MVP for what he does running the Phoenix, i don't see why you still fail to see that.
- Spursmania 300

That from another thread on Nash as MVP...which is it, cause you seem to be riding fences.
Old 05-10-05, 09:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

S.t.a.T= Stupid Tall Ass Turd

Pardon My french!

Go Spurs Go
Old 05-10-05, 10:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Give Amare his props. He's posterized Tim plenty of times.
Old 05-10-05, 11:15 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Amare is a great player for a guy who is in only third year in the league. Let him have a nickname. Who cares. He's a great player and is one of the top 6 or 7 players in the league.
Old 05-10-05, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

So Amare cannot use the nickname given to him by his family without getting ripped here. I've seen enough.
Old 05-10-05, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Damp is a good center but he is clearly struggling lately.He hasn't been the same since his injury. Which is a shame as he was putting up 13 and 13 with 3 blocks almost every night for a good 10 games or so.
Would it be his injury or just the fact that the guy is not smart enuff to stay outta' foul trouble, has no idea what positionin' on the court means, and refuses to use his feet playin' defense? Or maybe he's just not a consistent contributor?
Old 05-10-05, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If you have to give yourself a nickname, it isn't worth anything.

Nash is the engine that makes the Suns go, not Amare. Watching them play its easy to see how Amare gets all his points...Nash puts him in perfect position to score. I'm not saying the guy has no skill, but take away Nash and he is a raw talent on the court.

TP OWNS NASH is head to head matchups Nash can't guard TP

The Suns don't scare me in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
Amare is a great player for a guy who is in only third year in the league. Let him have a nickname. Who cares. He's a great player and is one of the top 6 or 7 players in the league.
hmm...top 6 or 7 ?

TD, Shaq, T-mac, Kobe, KG, D-Wade, Lebron, AI, Nash, Kidd, Carter.....

Good yes, top 6 or 7 no.

Last edited by callo1; 05-10-05 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 05:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAScrub
- Spursmania 300

That from another thread on Nash as MVP...which is it, cause you seem to be riding fences.
What exactly are you getting at? Nash did play in a big part in Amare's performance last night..doesn't mean amare still can't create for himself when he's facing the basket. so i have no idea what you are trying to say here
Old 05-10-05, 05:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo Girl
So Amare cannot use the nickname given to him by his family without getting ripped here. I've seen enough.