News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-06-05, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Lockout worries

Part of Ian Thomsen's Inside the NBA today talked about the Collective Bargaining Agreement. I'm really interested to know what the players were willing to sacrifice.

It's on page 2 of this link

Lockout worries

Both the players and owners believed a new collective bargaining agreement was imminent two weeks ago -- until a group of the most powerful agents objected to the sacrifices the players were making. Several team executives now believe a lockout is likely to happen in July and that it could linger into training camp or beyond. "I'm 90 percent sure there is going to be a lockout,'' says one team president.

But a senior league official expresses hope the talks can be salvaged. The two sides are scheduled to meet Friday -- their first meeting since talks broke down -- with another session planned for next week. Players and owners are expected to attend. If the talks don't take a positive turn at those meetings, there probably will be a lockout.

Cap space

One provision anticipated in a new collective bargaining agreement would be an increase in the salary cap. Though that will create more traffic for free agents, the owners are willing to give it up in hope of bolstering the luxury tax (one method is to slightly increase the tax penalties for teams like New York and Dallas, whose runaway budgets have eclipsed the luxury tax by more than $30 million).

Team executives say the conservative estimate is that the cap will rise to $48 million for free agents this summer, a $4 million increase over the current cap threshold. That would provide extra space to teams like Atlanta and Cleveland, enabling the Cavaliers to potentially sign two max players by renouncing free-agent center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and dumping a few other salaries.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-05, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can believe that the agents will be the downfall of this league. The last lockout would have ended earlier if it wasn't for the greed of the agents. There was a deal proposed earlier which was better then the one the players went on to sign but they didn't sign the earlier deal due to the agents. Those mofo agents will be the reason I won't be able to watch bball next year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-05, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The agents have tried this crap before. Back in the mid 90s MJ's agent tried to decertify the union, since the salary caps were lowering the elite athletes' salaries (MJ could have demanded any price). It really stinks because, while the agents are trying to allow the top few players to get limitless contracts, the CBA protects the salaries of the vast majority of players. It makes no sense.

*Edit: The NBA also limits an agent's take to 4% of the contract, which is by far the biggest limitation of any of the major sports. There's obviously lingering tension between the league and agents over that.

The NHL's problems have to be present on the mind of every player and owner. I just don't see how they would let it get to that point.
Old 05-06-05, 04:36 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Old 05-06-05, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Booooooo.

Scumbag lawyers screwing us again.
Old 05-06-05, 05:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

All the more reason for the Spurs to win it all this year.

This kind of crap has a way of getting out of hand (see NHL, 2004-5). It sickens me to think that the Spurs will lose any amount of time during the Duncan-Manu-Parker prime.
Old 05-06-05, 05:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Booooooo.

Scumbag lawyers screwing us again.
...and those "scumbags" bail you out every time you need to do a will, handle a divorce, file suit against someone, and on.

C'mon, Buzz. Deep down, you probably see that 4% is a LOW percentage for the agents to receive for the work in negotiation and representation that each one does for their respective clients -- I mean, we're only talking about $400k gross on every $10M contract. After taxes, salaries of support staff, and other expenses: the figure becomes more "real world" and less fantasy-land. Plus -- a lot of the Lon Babby-type agents are not traditional 4%'ers, opting instead for an hourly fee for their services.

I agree with you that there are those that aren't in it for the good of the sport -- but most of these folks are in it for the love of the game(s), the growth of the business, and for the good of the client -- and NOT just for the quick buck.
Old 05-06-05, 06:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

THis saddens me very much, just disgusting. I really hope these guys get this settled during the summer.