News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-05-05, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Hollinger Chat

Yes the infamous Hollinger who is so religious about his stats that he picked KG to be MVP (but then he picked TD to be DPOY so all's forgiven)

Greg (Columbia): Hey John- In your opinion who is the favorite in the West?

John Hollinger: (4:17 PM ET ) Absolutely San Antonio. If you look at their average victory margin, especially when Duncan played, their miles ahead of the competition. Should make it relatively easy for ABC to cross-promote Desperate Housewives.

Bob (Kingsville, TX): What are going to be the key elements for San Antonio to make another championship run, and should Ginobili be kept on the bench or returned to the starting lineup?

John Hollinger: (4:20 PM ET ) I think they just need to stay healthy, and obviously they'll need to win on the road if the play Phoenix. As far as Manu goes, I think he'll be back in the starting lineup this series. With Allen and Lewis, there's nobody for Brent Barry to guard.

Lee (Brookly, NY): It is nice to see Tayshaun Prince beginning to get some national attention, but I still think he is underrated. I put him down as the best perimeter defender in the league (sorry Bruce Bowen). What do you think?

John Hollinger: (4:23 PM ET ) You can certainly make a case. Because defensive stats are so much less advanced than offensive stats, it's hard to argue it more definitely than that. Some people think Bowen's better, some prefer Prince, and you'll never be able to prove it one way or the other. But with Artest banished, they were easily the NBA's best two this year.

Dan, WV: John, do you think Nate McMillan would be wise to use Rashard Lewis at the 4-spot when Evans is on the bench, as this would keep him away from Bruce Bowen and would draw Tim Duncan out to the perimeter?

John Hollinger: (4:28 PM ET ) McMillan has had a lot of success going small against the Spurs in the past, so I expect to see it at some point in this series. Popovich would probably counter with Robert Horry.

Erik (PHX): How can you give the Suns no chance in the West? Their margin of victory isn't that much lower than the Spurs. I think the Suns will give them a good run for their money and pull off the win. Why no love for the Suns?

John Hollinger: (4:38 PM ET ) I didn't say the Suns had no chance. I just think the Spurs have a better chance.

Art (Farmington Hills, MI): John, You told us your west pick is the Spurs how about the east and who is your champ?

John Hollinger: (4:45 PM ET ) Well, in the East it's pretty much one of two teams. I think Miami can handle Detroit, but I'm less secure about that pick than San Antonio.

Josh (Indy): How can they not talk about the NBA not being fixed? Only 5 teams have won NBA Titles in like 17 years. Funny how Houston, Chicago, Lakers, Pistons, and San Antonio can keep producing winners while everone else stays middle of the road!

John Hollinger: (4:49 PM ET ) Yes, it's fixed toward large-market teams. Like San Antonio, for instance. Good point.

Eric (Dallas): Arenas is the best second rounder of his generation? How about Manu Ginobili- taken with the second to last pick in the 1999 draft?

John Hollinger: (4:51 PM ET ) Several others asked me about Manu, but I give the nod to Gilbert. Arenas not only has been a little better but also is several years younger.
Old 05-05-05, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Josh (Indy): How can they not talk about the NBA not being fixed? Only 5 teams have won NBA Titles in like 17 years. Funny how Houston, Chicago, Lakers, Pistons, and San Antonio can keep producing winners while everone else stays middle of the road!

John Hollinger: (4:49 PM ET ) Yes, it's fixed toward large-market teams. Like San Antonio, for instance. Good point.

Great!
Old 05-05-05, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

HAHAHAHAHA!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-05, 05:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Geez, this guy is a stat-geek through and through, you would've thought he was a baseball writer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!