News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-05-05, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

HOw many I's can Anthony muster....

"I wouldn't say I came a long ways, but I think as the season went on, I was the player that I always told myself I was going to become this season," Anthony said. "I made that push, I made that step forward."

Geeeesh.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...753736,00.html
Old 05-05-05, 01:46 PM
MomBear

Anthony savors achievements
By Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News
May 5, 2005

SAN ANTONIO - Slimmer, smarter and still smiling.

Carmelo Anthony's second NBA season ended the same as his first - with a loss - but he was able to claim a personal victory by simply surviving.

Anthony capped an eventful nine months by scoring 25 points in the Denver Nuggets' 99-89 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday night.

Despite being bounced from the first round of the Western Conference playoffs for the second year in a row, Anthony took pride in what he and his team were able to accomplish.

"I wouldn't say I came a long ways, but I think as the season went on, I was the player that I always told myself I was going to become this season," Anthony said. "I made that push, I made that step forward."

The progress came after a series of missteps that began in August during the Athens Olympics and did not seem to stop until well after the new year.

Labeled as a selfish player while playing for the U.S. Olympic team, Anthony coped with image problems stemming from several off-the-court stories that included a nightclub scuffle, a petty marijuana charge that was later dropped and an appearance on an underground DVD featuring alleged drug dealers.

The distractions were reflected in his play as Anthony struggled with his game, his health and his confidence.

He dealt with recurring sprained ankles that led to a slight weight gain but began to turn things around after the midseason arrival of coach George Karl.

Focused and trim - Anthony lost more than 20 pounds in the season's final weeks - he played strong down the stretch and regained a measure of respect from those who thought he was just another 20-year-old problem child.

Even after a tough start to the San Antonio series, Anthony kept his head up and made life difficult for the Spurs.

"He gets smarter by the day," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It takes some experience to figure out what everyone is going to do to you in a variety of ways."

Asked if he proved something to his critics, Anthony said: "I hope I did. I don't know. That's not for me to say. People are going to say what they're going to say anyway. I hope I did."

Few will dispute the fact that Anthony enjoyed a better playoff experience than a year ago, when he struggled through four games before spraining his left knee.

In five games against the Spurs, he averaged 19.2 points on .422 shooting, up from 15.0 points on .328 shooting against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"The more games you play, you get more comfortable," Anthony said. "You start seeing stuff, you start realizing stuff and you start feeling good about yourself."

Anthony should have plenty of reason to feel good about the future.

After playing for three coaches in his first season-and-a-half, he knows that Karl is here to stay. The two have sparred at times in the past three months, but they have laid the foundation for a good working relationship.

"He did a lot," Anthony said of Karl. "He took a lot of pressure off my back, my shoulders.

"He let me go out there and be myself, play my game and changed little things up that helped me and helped the team."

Anthony scored 53 points in the final two games, with the final 10 coming in the fourth quarter Wednesday night.It wasn't enough as the Spurs moved on to the second round and Anthony took another step in his NBA education.

"I thought I did a good job of keeping my composure and not getting frustrated," he said. "Last year, I probably would have been ejected out there a couple of times. I learned a lot from last season."

The season might be over, but Anthony can honestly say that he survived.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-05, 01:47 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

I saw that interview last nigth and he was asked a direct question on HE personally
grew as a player since the season began.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-05, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

"WE"
Old 05-05-05, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I see nothing wrong with what Melo said.......I don't think it is selfish. I think it is kind of hard to talk about one's own goals and expectations without using the word "I"

I've used the word "I" 4 times just in this post.
Old 05-05-05, 02:00 PM
MomBear

oh did you actually want a count of the "I" s used?

Old 05-05-05, 05:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

melo is gonna get better, at least he didnt whine like karl after every game

Last edited by KillaBeez; 05-05-05 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 05:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB

I don't know why I bother coming to this forum if the best thing we can talk about is using "I" as in I dont like anything and I dont care about anything.
it's just a little freindly convo Rich...don't be so hard on everyone
Old 05-05-05, 06:00 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

quit fukking ruining threads.

I am tired of this BS!
Old 05-05-05, 06:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBear
oh did you actually want a count of the "I" s used?

Yeah kind of like Sesame Street, but the absence of the Count threw me off!!!
Old 05-05-05, 06:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

See my sig!!
Old 05-05-05, 06:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What's with the Melo hate? Nuggets have been sent home. Is there any need for more bashing? And "I think" is quite okay with me, because it is usually not okay to speak for others
Old 05-05-05, 07:49 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Well, I prefer he use the word "I" in referring to himself rather than the more popular, "Again, Melo, can't do everything." Anyway the guy showed something, he really grew up quite a bit, and the last 2 games was a handful for everyone out there including Bowen. I think the scheme of what they were trying to do and the lack of an outside shooter hurt the team and Melo. He's got the big men down low to help him out that's for sure. This is the team I went with at the beginning of the season to surprise and advance to the 2nd round, boy, am I glad I was wrong. But in reality if they had played better from the get go, this team would have been a 5 or 4 seed.