SpursReport.com
Old 05-03-05, 08:36 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Ginobili savors villain's role

Ginobili savors villain's role

Argentinian delights in boos, takes them as a compliment

By Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News

May 3, 2005

Before even setting foot on the court, he was a marked Manu.

San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili had not reached the scorer's table when he began receiving the Kobe Bryant/Nick Van Exel treatment.

From every corner of the Pepsi Center, the boos came raining down upon him, the ultimate compliment an opponent can receive in the playoffs.

"Usually I'm the good guy,'' Ginobili joked after once again getting the last laugh against the Denver Nuggets.

Ginobili continued his remarkable playoff run on Monday night, scoring 24 points in the Spurs' 126-115 overtime victory in Game 4 of their first-round Western Conference playoff series.

Ginobili, seeming to relish the boos every time he touched the ball, added four rebounds and six assists as part of a well-rounded display that even Nuggets coach George Karl might have a tough time criticizing.

After watching Ginobili go for 32 points in Game 3, Karl ripped the Argentinian guard's style of play, calling it "ugly" and "hard to watch."

Jumping on the anti-Manu bandwagon, Nuggets fans undoubtedly would have been able to stomach a big night from Tim Duncan or Tony Parker as long as they did not have to see Ginobili run wild.

"I think (the boos were) not as much about my game, but it was about what Karl said," Ginobili said. "I have no problem. Once you're in the game, you forget about everything."

Ginobili nearly had the pleasure of beating the Nuggets in regulation, but his shot attempt near the free throw line was blocked by Greg Buckner.

Not to be deterred, Ginobili came up with a big block of his own on Carmelo Anthony in overtime and scored six points in the extra period to help the Spurs take a commanding 3-1 lead in the series.

"We are in control," Ginobili said. "We know it depends a lot on us. We're going to have two chances to win the round at home, but we don't want to get to the second chance."

Game 5 is Wednesday in San Antonio.

Using a defend-Manu-by-committee approach, Denver sent Buckner, DerMarr Johnson and Andre Miller at Ginobili throughout the game.

Even Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin got in the act, flattening Ginobili with a hard screen late in the first quarter.

Martin was called for an illegal screen, and Ginobili bounced up as he always does, much to the dismay of the Pepsi Center crowd.

It was the second hard hit Ginobili has absorbed in the past three days. Anthony was ejected after clubbing Ginobili in the final seconds of Game 3.

The rough play did not seem to affect Ginobili in Game 4. He was as aggressive as always, driving to the hoop at every opportunity.

Though he struggled from the field, missing eight of 13 shot attempts, Ginobili made up for it at the free-throw line, hitting 12 of 16 foul shots.

Ginobili converted seven free throws in the third quarter and hit a driving runner in the lane to help the Spurs take a seven-point lead into the fourth.

The Nuggets, however, did not make things easy in the final period. In addition to the hit dished out by Martin, Marcus Camby got into the act when he blocked a floating shot by Ginobili early in the fourth quarter. Wrestling for the ball, both players went crashing into the photographers sitting along the baseline.

Instead of booing Ginobili, the crowd roared when the Nuggets were rewarded possession of the ball.

Ginobili took it all in stride. Just another night as a marked man behind enemy lines.
Old 05-03-05, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

That block on Melo was huge, and a crowd killer, it took the wind out of their sails after that they just couldn't rebound with any kind of energy. Manu's handprints were all over this win also, but within th concept of team play.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-03-05, 10:34 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

A player knows he has finally made it
when Boos rain down on him like that.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-03-05, 10:40 AM
MomBear

Quote:
"Usually I'm the good guy,'' Ginobili joked after once again getting the last laugh against the Denver Nuggets.
Manu... R - E - S - P - E - C-T
Old 05-03-05, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I actually thought it was pretty funny that he got booed everytime he entered the game or had the ball in his hands. They're still pissed that he didn't end up signing with them this summer. I'm so glad he's a Spur. After all the crying and complaining, I bet Manu's glad that he didn't join a team full of crybabies.
Old 05-03-05, 10:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

the more they booed the more manu did to piss them off
Old 05-03-05, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I agree !!!!
Manu was the same, while the Thugs kept being themselves.
They tried to get under Manus skin, but they were unable to...
The boos ringing in the Pepsi Arena was a sign of greatness for Manu. Not too many SUPERSTARS can get that from any crowd..Yes I said that word(SUPERSTAR)

Praise Manu for his style of play Denver.. This is a once in a lifetime chance to see a very special player beat the pants off of you from the bench!!!!!

As for george Karl, there is a special at dunkin doughnuts today.

Now its time to look at game 5, or should we just say once again, SPURS IN 5

p.s. TP You looked absolutely 100%, and TP way to find your shot again, you are the man!

Im out, WAR SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-05, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

lets make all the Denver fans watching on tv really angry - lets make the sbc center absolutely ROAR every time Manu scores tomorow
Old 05-03-05, 11:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

he was booed more than I remember Kobe being booed. At least Kobe had some scattered cheers.
Old 05-03-05, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The sad thing is, the ignorant Fuggets fans didn't really crank up the booing til Karl whined about Manu to the media. It's like they need someone to point out who they should really jeer, as well as someone to pass out the little Thunder Stix for them to slap together.

They're just jealous anyway because Manu's been the best player on the floor in this series, and Denver never had a serious shot at signing him in the offseason.

Last edited by Forhekset; 05-03-05 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes33
lets make all the Denver fans watching on tv really angry - lets make the sbc center absolutely ROAR every time Manu scores tomorow
I was just going to post this same thing. I will be there Wednesday night and that is my plan.
Old 05-03-05, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I thought it was ignorant and incredibly classless for those fans to act that way. Why were they booing? I doubt they even knew. It's the type of sheep mentality that shows a total lack of knowledge of the game. You don't boo someone who is a quality player. You boo a rapist (Kobe), an ex-teammate whou dissed the team (Van Exel) or someone who hurts a member of your team (Juwan Howard). Why Manu? Because he scores and got foul calls? Puullease!! Go home and enjoy your summer whiners.
Old 05-03-05, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes33
I was JUST thinking how I'd give anything to be at that game tomorrow night to hear the deafening roar of the crowd when Manu's name is called during the introductions... it's going to be so great! what a guy.
Old 05-03-05, 03:41 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Buckner is going to think he is a superstar when he hits the court on Wednesday.
Old 05-03-05, 05:02 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I just saw Manu block on Carmelo, great defense play.

Manu is playing better and better
Old 05-03-05, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknspur
I thought it was ignorant and incredibly classless for those fans to act that way. Why were they booing? I doubt they even knew. It's the type of sheep mentality that shows a total lack of knowledge of the game. You don't boo someone who is a quality player. You boo a rapist (Kobe), an ex-teammate whou dissed the team (Van Exel) or someone who hurts a member of your team (Juwan Howard). Why Manu? Because he scores and got foul calls? Puullease!! Go home and enjoy your summer whiners.
Well there reason for booing is cause they thought he was flopping over and over again in game 3. That and he destroyed them in that game. I dont think it was classless. Actaully i liked it. It made me feel like MAnu has arrived.
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.