LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-05, 03:04 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Monroe: Horry's veteran savvy proves essential to Spurs

Horry's veteran savvy proves essential to Spurs
Web Posted: 05/01/2005 12:00 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

DENVER — An hour before the Spurs began Game 3 of their NBA Western Conference first-round playoff series against the Denver Nuggets at the Pepsi Center on Saturday night, Spurs forward Robert Horry expressed hope there would be no need for a "Big Shot Bob" moment through the remainder of the Spurs' playoff run.

Meanwhile, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich lamented the fact Rasho Nesterovic wasn't truly sound enough to play much.

Three Tim Duncan first-half fouls later, Horry and Nesterovic became vital to the Spurs' chances of gaining an edge in the best-of-seven series.

And "Big Shot Bob" made yet another appearance.

Duncan, the Spurs' two-time Most Valuable Player, played only five minutes in the first half after picking up two personals in the first period and a third just 1 minute, 24 seconds after re-entering the game in the second quarter. The power forward had only four points and two rebounds in the half.

But Horry and Nesterovic played well enough in Duncan's first-half absence that he hardly was missed.

Of course, Manu Ginobili taking up every bit of the scoring slack the Spurs lost when Duncan made his premature first-half exit helped, too. But without Horry's and Nesterovic's contributions, the Spurs would have been in trouble against a robust Nuggets front line.

Horry had talked before the game about hoping the days of the Spurs needing his experience perhaps were at an end.

"I just want to be up, play my role and win the game," Horry said. "And hopefully those days of hitting the big shot are all over. I hope we win big and don't need that any more."

The Spurs needed it Saturday, and Horry played his role — which turned out to require two more of the 3-point "Big Shot Bob" daggers for which he has been known during crunch time.

The Spurs were clinging to a four-point lead midway through the fourth when Horry used his veteran savvy to steal an inbounds pass that followed a made jump shot by teammate Bruce Bowen. He turned it into one of the game's biggest possessions when he dribbled out to the 3-point line and nailed a shot.

"It was one of those plays where the coach yells, 'No, no,'" Popovich said. "But he made the shot. It was huge."

Thirty-five seconds later, Horry hit a second 3-pointer that silenced the raucous Denver crowd and gave the Spurs a 10-point edge that held up for the victory.

It was classic "Big Shot Bob."

With center Nazr Mohammed joining Duncan in foul trouble with three in the first half, Popovich had no choice but to play both Nesterovic and Horry.

Nesterovic didn't score in his eight first-half minutes, but he grabbed six rebounds, including one on offense that produced two of the Spurs' seven second-chance points in the half. He hit a big 15-foot jumper in the third period after the Nuggets had trimmed an 11-point Spurs lead to three points.

Link

Misti and I were going crazy when he hit those shots
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-01-05, 03:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

How many times does the media have to do it before they get it right??

He DOESN'T LIKE TO BE CALLED "BIG SHOT BOB" It's not the "Big Shot" he hates it's BOB ---

HE DOESN'T LIKE TO BE CALLED BOB --- ROB -- HE LIKES "BIG SHOT ROB" "ROB" "ROB"--- get it right people... please

Ok now that that is off my chest...

Yes Big Shot "Rob" came through again.

Didn't he come through vs the Memphis series last year too?
Old 05-01-05, 03:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

MAJOR props to Big Shot Rob.

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-01-05, 03:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs biggest fan
How many times does the media have to do it before they get it right??

He DOESN'T LIKE TO BE CALLED "BIG SHOT BOB" It's not the "Big Shot" he hates it's BOB ---

HE DOESN'T LIKE TO BE CALLED BOB --- ROB -- HE LIKES "BIG SHOT ROB" "ROB" "ROB"--- get it right people... please

Ok now that that is off my chest...

Yes Big Shot "Rob" came through again.

Didn't he come through vs the Memphis series last year too?
I know, that was pissing me off too. I e-mailed him with a "nice article, but get the nickname right" (though I said it nicer than that).

He actually doesn't care for Big Shot Rob either, he doesn't like any nicknames, but hates being called Bob.
Old 05-01-05, 03:36 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Lot's of love here for Rob. His hook shot still scares me sometimes though.
Old 05-01-05, 03:48 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

BIGGGGGGGG SHOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I yelled REALLY DAMN LOUD At the bar to shut these clons up in front of us cheering for Denver tonight, sorry Mombear hate all you want but once again he comes up huge for us, just pretend a Ghost hit the shots and we won tonight Mom ....... Anyways he was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On
Lot's of love here for Rob. His hook shot still scares me sometimes though.
Yeah his hook and bank looks ugly alot
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-01-05, 03:49 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Who was it in here that was talking about the need of veteran saavy for victory in a closely matched series?
Old 05-01-05, 03:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On
Must have been someone with great insight and wisdom on a higher plain than us.
Has pop been visiting this site?

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff
Old 05-01-05, 04:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Was anyone else besides me surprised by how much they love Robert Horry as soon as he became a Spur? I was stunned that I liked him better than anyone besides tim, manu, tony and bruce cause i assumed id hate him for being a laker.
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Old 05-01-05, 04:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs7794
Was anyone else besides me surprised by how much they love Robert Horry as soon as he became a Spur? I was stunned that I liked him better than anyone besides tim, manu, tony and bruce cause i assumed id hate him for being a laker.
Yeah, I really like Robert Horry, hes a pretty quiet, vetern player, with great class, and clutch ability.

Old 05-01-05, 04:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

You can't pick your nickname. Big shot Bob sounds better anyway.

That steal and three pointer is one of the coolest plays I have ever seen.
Old 05-01-05, 04:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i've nver seen a player piss me off so much during certain games
but then make me so happy
Old 05-01-05, 04:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Min
You can't pick your nickname. Big shot Bob sounds better anyway.

That steal and three pointer is one of the coolest plays I have ever seen.
Yeah when he did that one of the first things that came to mind was Reggie Miller. It was like a miniature version of that string of plays vs. NY.

Old 05-01-05, 05:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I always knew him as Big Shot Rob. Those shots were killer.
Old 05-01-05, 05:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Horry has a thing against nicknames, he doesn't like any of them. He seems to tolerate Big Shot Rob, hates being called Bob, and was iffy on RoHo.
Old 05-01-05, 10:15 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Horry was huge, great game
Old 05-01-05, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Meanwhile, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich lamented the fact Rasho Nesterovic wasn't truly sound enough to play much.
Rasho played awfully well for a guy not sound enough to play much!

Hope his ankle feels OK today.
Old 05-01-05, 11:04 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Who was it in here that was talking about the need of veteran saavy for victory in a closely matched series?

this series is not closely matched
spurs would have swepted htme if duncan and rasho were 100%
Old 05-01-05, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

bigshotrob>bigshotbob
Old 05-01-05, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
this series is not closely matched
spurs would have swepted htme if duncan and rasho were 100%
..and if Parker would show up for more than 33% of the games.
Old 05-01-05, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

roll tide-horry has been solid solid since his days at alabama (and unfortunatley in his days as a rocket)
Old 05-01-05, 02:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Old 05-01-05, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

^^^ That shot reminds me exactly of a shot he had against Portland when he was with the Lakers. He got the ball, danced out to the exact same spot behind the arc, Rasheed Wallace didn't respect his range so he took the shot and made them pay.
Old 05-01-05, 03:54 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I believe that great defense is courtesy of the possible DPOY Marcus Camby.