News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-29-05, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Karl says Nugs will win

If this is already posted please just let me know. I don't have a link because I saw the interview on the 12 o'clock news. But Coach Karl was asked a series of questions about the adversity they were faced with after game two and what they plan to do in game three, and in one of the answers he replied with(i'm paraphrazing) "We want to come out agressive and after we win game three we will see how the Spurs handle the pressure." I don't know what he is trying to get out of making a comment like this, maybe installing a false sense of confidence or security into his team , your thoughts...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-05, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

If you don't believe you're going to win, then why play at all?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-05, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It's one thing to believe you are going to win and another to tell everyone you are going to win, I'm 100% sure that coach Pop and Spurs believe they are going to win but the don't need to say it, they'll go out on the court and show it. If you truly believe you are going to win you don't need to go telling everyone, you just do it.
Old 04-29-05, 03:20 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

My thoughts are that my quest to hear a coach say "we're screwed, we can't win, they're just too good" will have to last yet another day.
Old 04-29-05, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I've never been a fan of coaches who self degrade. Guys like Nelly who say "Well we were lucky" and stuff like that. No, it was due to preparation, talent, professionalism. You don't consistently get back to the playoffs based on luck. I don't think Karl was trying to play games or anything he was just talking, and you say what you believe.
Old 04-29-05, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

My personal opinion is that any time you step ahead of the facts as a coach, you
are probably making a mistake.

Let's say Denver loses game#3. The coach already made a public statement that they
would win. He was wrong. Now it's game#4. Do players listen to their coach with the
same attentiveness anymore?
Old 04-29-05, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He's just being optimistic.
Old 04-29-05, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
If you don't believe you're going to win, then why play at all?
Correct.

I saw what he said on the news and that idiot Greg Simmons made a point of it by saying "when we win"?

When I saw that, i just knew someone was going to post something about that.

I have no problem with what he said. They're just words, they don't mean anything to me.

If he doesn't expect to win - why even compete, as Jason suggests.

Don't look too much into it Spurs fans - he's not trying to play with his teams head or even play with ours. He's not Phil Jackson for crying out loud.

The guy is confident. And he should be.
Even after Game 2, they still are going home to play a 5 game series with HCA.

I changed the channel when Greg Simmons looked into the camera and made a point to highlight Karl's comments: "when we win?" I hate when he does that kind of crap. He's such a tool.

They're just words Greg. Who cares really?
Old 04-29-05, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
My thoughts are that my quest to hear a coach say "we're screwed, we can't win, they're just too good" will have to last yet another day.
Yea but Karl could've phrased his "after we win game 3" statement differently -- say something like: "We're going to view film and make the necessary adjustments and go out there and play Denver ball" --- or "We need to get back to what got us here and focus on those aspects" -- or hey "We just had a bad shooting night like you all did" --

but to say that "after they win game 3" -- well that's just arrogance.

I have faith in Pop and the staff...

Karl doesn't even know what he wants to do he's so confused....

What if Pop starts Manu this time -- hmmmm what if he throws Rasho in there for 5 minutes and then brings in Nazr...

or better yet -- start the game with TD/Horry/Nazr/Manu/Bowen -- Manu can run the point -and Horry can play shooting guard -- really mess with Karl's head -- and during a time out -- the coyote can play center

Face it Karl -- you just don't know what ole Pop is going to do next -- now do you?

Remember all those plays you analyzed from previous Spurs playoffs..?? well throw em out the door - cuz Pop gots some brand new ones... Guys aren't cutting through when TD has the ball anymore..... less motion offense -- more what??? -- you just don't know do you Karl ?

Ah isn't chess a lovely sport?
Old 04-29-05, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Blah, Blah, Blah.....who really cares? WE are going to find out Saturday, wont we?
Old 04-29-05, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

In 2003 Duncan declared the Spurs would win the next game after losing. How angry were you at Duncan? Did you think that Duncan meant we were screwed? Did you think he was a tool?

Probably not.
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On
My personal opinion is that any time you step ahead of the facts as a coach, you
are probably making a mistake.

Let's say Denver loses game#3. The coach already made a public statement that they
would win. He was wrong. Now it's game#4. Do players listen to their coach with the
same attentiveness anymore?
Quote:
Karl was trying to play games or anything he was just talking, and you say what you believe.
You don't always say what you believe and Spurd_On's comments are just one reason why. I don't know if players and coaches really use bulletin board material or if that is something the media and fans enjoy more, but it could be used as such. And he doesn't look too bright if they lose. You can believe you are going to win and not have to say it, instead you can say I know that we are going to come with better effort, I know we are going to play hard from the tip, I know the coaches put together a better game plan and so on. I didn't hear Pop say we are going to win game two after the game one loss, yet he probably believed they would.
SpursReport Team Starter

taking it for what it's worth which is nothing at this point, i don't see the wisdom of making these kind of proclamations. Didn't Kenyon say something similar to this prior to game 2 only to get thoroughly hammered for all his troubles?

Does Karl think that if he as the coach says it, the outcome will be different?
Old 04-29-05, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Correct.

I have no problem with what he said. They're just words, they don't mean anything to me.

The guy is confident. And he should be.
Even after Game 2, they still are going home to play a 5 game series with HCA.
I like that from a player but prefer more objectivity from a coach.
Old 04-29-05, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

I have no problem with what Karl said or how he said it.

Maybe that kind of talk suits his players character or his own
coaching style.
Old 04-29-05, 03:35 PM

Quote:
In 2003 Duncan declared the Spurs would win the next game after losing. How angry were you at Duncan? Did you think that Duncan meant we were screwed? Did you think he was a tool?

Probably not.
Whoa, I'm on your side remember?

For the record: Simmons is a tool.

Last edited by RichB; 04-29-05 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

[quote=RichB]Correct.

I saw what he said on the news and that idiot Greg Simmons made a point of it by saying "when we win"?

When I saw that, i just knew someone was going to post something about that.

[quote]

I didn't see the Greg Simmons part, although I do agree he is a total tool and I can't stand his reporting. I could care less what Coach Karl is saying also, I just find it a little funny that he would in a sense guarantee a win. My only point is when you make a comment like that you could be setting yourself up to look sheepish.

The more I think about it though it might of been more of a coaching move on his part for his team. Maybe to show them that he has the confidence in them, they are a young team that has not really ever gone through what they are right now.

Last edited by sahoopster; 04-29-05 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 03:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

every game we have a lot of posters on here make predictions - and most say we are gonna blow "the team in question" away. what is the difference in that and what karl said? i do believe in having hope we win games but some have gone overboard just to have the spurs lose said games. i am one to say "i hope we work well enough as a team to win" than just having a big ego (like kmart did after game 1)...hope i am making sense.
Old 04-29-05, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Whoa, I'm on your side remember?

Fir the record: Simmons is a tool.
Sorry just took your words, but didn't mean to address you.
Old 04-29-05, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I could care less what George Karl says.

BTW - He also guaranteed a win for Game 5 in the '94 playoffs against Denver. We all know how that went.

Old 04-29-05, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

posters on some board making predictions is one thing, coaches making predictions is another, sometimes it either doesnt work in your favor or you dont get the outcome you were hoping for.

but i guess it's better than saying "if we win game 3 the pressures back on the Spurs" cause then that could be intrepreted as doubt in yourself and your team.
Old 04-29-05, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godkid1
every game we have a lot of posters on here make predictions - and most say we are gonna blow "the team in question" away. what is the difference in that and what karl said? i do believe in having hope we win games but some have gone overboard just to have the spurs lose said games. i am one to say "i hope we work well enough as a team to win" than just having a big ego (like kmart did after game 1)...hope i am making sense.
not at all, comparing a coach with some fans on a certain board doesn't make sense at all.
but like some said that might maybe fit better his style of coaching and his players mentality.
I just don't think this is a good thing at all, because when u're a coach u might be the voice of the reason, no bias, no emotions, how stupid will he look if they get blown out again???
it's one thing to be confident and tell that to your players (in the locker room,or practice facility) that you'll win, and it's another thing to make such declarations to the press.
it was unnecessary, but hell, if he thinks his players need more pressure now that everybody knows they're gonna win, if he thinks that his quotes are gonna light more fire to his troops, then why not.
continue to thing it was a stupid move though
Old 04-29-05, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
I have no problem with what Karl said or how he said it.

Maybe that kind of talk suits his players character or his own
coaching style.
Maybe some players will take it the right way and maybe some won't.
I'd rather be certain all my players are on the same page going into game#4.
Old 04-29-05, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs biggest fan
Yea but Karl could've phrased his "after we win game 3" statement differently -- say something like: "We're going to view film and make the necessary adjustments and go out there and play Denver ball" --- or "We need to get back to what got us here and focus on those aspects" -- or hey "We just had a bad shooting night like you all did" --
Sure he could have said that, but why should he have to? Why should we as Spurs fans take this as some egregious offense to us that the guy has the audacity to say that his team is going to win? I obviously don't agree with what George said, but I'm not going to get pissed at the guy for not resorting to the standard "they're a great team, we're just happy to be here, we'll play our best and hopefully it will work out" monotone garbage. I welcome his willingness to say something interesting.

Quote:
but to say that "after they win game 3" -- well that's just arrogance.
I think it was Jimmy Johnson who once told the media something along the lines of "I don't speak to you, I speak through you". That is all Karl is doing. He knows he's the underdog, he knows everyone expects the Spurs to win, he knows he's got the young emotional team that needs to be on that emotional high to play well. By coming out and saying "we're going to win" his team hears it, his team's fans hear it, and his hope is that will help contribute to a winning attitude. He also knows that the Spurs being a veteran team are going to be ready to play regardless and don't need quotes from him in order to get motivated so what does Karl really have to lose by saying what he said? Seriously, does anyone here think that Tim Duncan has to get up every morning and look in the paper to find some quote in order to get up for a game?
Old 04-29-05, 04:10 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Sure he could have said that, but why should he have to? Why should we as Spurs fans take this as some egregious offense to us that the guy has the audacity to say that his team is going to win? I obviously don't agree with what George said, but I'm not going to get pissed at the guy for not resorting to the standard "they're a great team, we're just happy to be here, we'll play our best and hopefully it will work out" monotone garbage. I welcome his willingness to say something interesting.

I think it was Jimmy Johnson who once told the media something along the lines of "I don't speak to you, I speak through you". That is all Karl is doing. He knows he's the underdog, he knows everyone expects the Spurs to win, he knows he's got the young emotional team that needs to be on that emotional high to play well. By coming out and saying "we're going to win" his team hears it, his team's fans hear it, and his hope is that will help contribute to a winning attitude. He also knows that the Spurs being a veteran team are going to be ready to play regardless and don't need quotes from him in order to get motivated so what does Karl really have to lose by saying what he said? Seriously, does anyone here think that Tim Duncan has to get up every morning and look in the paper to find some quote in order to get up for a game?

Good post. I agree with what you wrote.

Old 04-29-05, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurnaje
how stupid will he look if they get blown out again???
it's one thing to be confident and tell that to your players (in the locker room,or practice facility) that you'll win, and it's another thing to make such declarations to the press.
True, he may look stupid if they lose, but then again what if he says nothing and his young, emotionally fragile team begins to have doubts because their coach will only say he thinks they can win when no one else is around to hear it?
Old 04-29-05, 04:16 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

No big deal. He said they would win, but he did not guarantee a win. I wish someone would challenge him to do that.
Old 04-29-05, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
True, he may look stupid if they lose, but then again what if he says nothing and his young, emotionally fragile team begins to have doubts because their coach will only say he thinks they can win when no one else is around to hear it?
u make it sound like he has nothing to loose by making such comments,
again I repeat it, if Karl thinks his team needs more pressure to perform well then fine,
but it will be more damagable if they loose than if he would've STFU.
After sayin' that and they loose, which speech will he use then??? remember we will be 2-1 then, and nothing might be over yet, but will he say we're gonna win and tie it 2-2???? and would they trust him????
that's some desperate moves you use when you are down 2-0 or 3-1, not tie at 1-1.
plain stupid.
Old 04-29-05, 04:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurnaje
u make it sound like he has nothing to loose by making such comments,
That's because he doesn't.
Old 04-29-05, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
That's because he doesn't.
thats true, he's either going to win or lose and his comments will have nothing to do with it.

then again, by making those comments people will hold him to it, whether by the media, his players, his fans or his organization.
Old 04-29-05, 04:41 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I have no problem with his confidence either, per se. But, if I'm a Spur player, I can't wait to get on the court and make him eat those words.
Old 04-29-05, 05:30 PM

Well, he probably believes it, and well he should, his team has been on a roll, the Spurs are just now getting a whole team together, one starter and one valuable bench player are still non factors and you got a lot of guys putting in major mins. who have never been tested, so If I'm Karl, I'm telling my guys they can be had. Can they come out with another effort like Wednesdays, can they stop our transition game at home, feed the troops give them some momentum and make them believe. The Spurs job will be to come out and destroy that enthusiasm and beat them and make them lose their energy and will to win. Also, Karl has a young team this kind of stuff might work on them, a more veteran team doesn't need that so much as knowing they just have to come out and perform and execute their game plan.

I do know one thing, Karl needs to have a better plan in stopping Duncan because if he comes out on fire again it could be a long night for the nuggets.
Old 04-29-05, 06:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Why is it that in 2003, tim duncan during each series said (after game 4's usually) we're gonna win this next game" but when george karl says it, apparently its very wong of him to do so?
Old 04-29-05, 06:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Nothing wrong with what Karl said. Props to him for showing confidence in his team.
Old 04-29-05, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Personally, I love George Karl as the coach of the opposing team. Is there another coach in this year's playoffs who has said /done more dumb things in front of the media? I'm too lazy to do the research but just a few tidbits off the top of my head:

1) After losing game 3 to Denver to go up 2 games to 1, Karl tells the media he is glad his team lost. His team then goes on to lose all the remaining games to become the first number 1 seed ever to lose to a number 8 seed in the first round.

2) Same year, after losing the entire series he balls his eyes out on national TV. His demeanor was so bad, there was open talk about if he should keep his job for having lost the respect of his entire team.

3) More recently, he makes a crack about the unfairness of "all" the young black men getting a chance to become NBA coaches ahead of other deserving whites. He specifically calls out Doc Rivers as not having paid his dues. Doc only goes on to be named coach of the year that season, while Karl likely lost the respect of much of his Bucks team which quickly faded into oblivion the following season.

Karl may be entertaining when he speaks. He is certainly more open to the press than Pop ever would be. However, it's not about pleasing the press or even the fans. It is about winning games and I don't see anything in Karl's public persona that is helpful in achieving his goals.
Old 04-29-05, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Karl said what he said. WHO CARES.