News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-05, 09:44 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Karl considers varying lineup (Denver Post )

Article Published: Friday, April 29, 2005

Karl considers varying lineup

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

Karl: "I would consider a lineup change because I would want to be more defensive-minded."

After being shaken up by San Antonio in Game 2, Nuggets coach George Karl might try to shake up his lineup Saturday night for Game 3 at the Pepsi Center.

Karl has started Andre Miller and DerMarr Johnson at guard, Carmelo Anthony and Kenyon Martin at forward and Marcus Camby at center in the first two playoff games.

"I would consider a lineup change because I would want to be more defensive-minded," Karl said after practice Thursday at the Pepsi Center.

The Spurs shot 47.9 percent from the field Wednesday in Game 2 in a 104-76 win over Denver and made 10-of-18 3-pointers. San Antonio guards Tony Parker, Brent Barry, Manu Ginobili and Beno Udrih combined for 62 points.

Karl might look to start guard Greg Buckner, who was signed to be a defensive stopper, in place of Johnson.

"I haven't figured that out yet," Karl said.

Better off bench?

The Spurs got a spark in Game 2 when Barry replaced Ginobili in the starting lineup. The Nuggets found out about it an hour before the game, when the Spurs' lineup was posted. Karl believes he might have had something to do with San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich making the change.

"I laughed about it because I sat with Pop last year when I was on ESPN and he was starting Ginobili," Karl said. "I said, 'Pop, you don't have the spirit off the bench that you had (during the 2002-03 season).' I know Ginobili's different as your starter. He had (Hedo) Turkoglu coming off the bench, and he was lost and confused and frustrated. I remember having that conversation and then three weeks later he started Turkoglu and Ginobili went to the bench."

Karl hinted Popovich might have another reason to bring his all-star guard off the bench.

"I don't know that Ginobili's healthy enough to play 35 minutes, and maybe that's why (Popovich's) doing it," Karl said. "But I know the spirit of Ginobili off the bench is pretty dangerous because he just seems to bring a juice and a life to his team that as a starter he hasn't done consistently."

When Ginobili doesn't start, it alters the Nuggets' strategy somewhat.

"It just kind of sets your rotation differently," Karl said. "I'm going to try to coach my team to play better. There is a chess match involved here. But right now I got to get my team playing my A-B game rather than the C game and then worry about the chess match."

Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin, on Barry starting: "It was a trick Pop was trying to pull. That's playoff basketball."

Footnotes

Martin has struggled to score against the Spurs, as has Anthony. "We got to find a way to get ourselves involved a little more," Martin said. "Our teammates are trying to find a way to get us involved. We're not going to force (it)." ... Along with a broken right hand, Nuggets forward Eduardo Najera is dealing with pain in his right knee. "It's not a big deal," he said. "What I'm trying to do is see how bad it is because I don't want it to be a (problem) in the middle of the year next (season)." ...
Old 04-29-05, 09:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Is George Karl taking credit for when Pop moved Manu to the bench and started Turk?

The balls on this guy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-05, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Whoop....looks like Pop is in Karl's head a bit.

C'mon Pop, mess with him. Send out the signal that you are going to bring Parker in off the bench, or start Big Dog.

Last edited by To be named later; 04-29-05 at 10:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-05, 10:16 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

this is funny
Old 04-29-05, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin

Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin, on Barry starting: "It was a trick Pop was trying to pull. That's playoff basketball."
it's called adjustments and Pop's is already one step ahead
Old 04-29-05, 10:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

How many NBA tiltles does Karl have??
Old 04-29-05, 10:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This is all red meat for the fan base. after the shellacking they got from every member of the Spurs team, they don't know what to do. Do you really think that a simple move by Pop to start Barry netted a win against Denver. It may have been the catalyst that started the tornado but not factor that will be best countered by anything these weenies have. I can tell you right now he's thinking of having his crew defending the perimeter because he doesn't want to get killed by all the three's. If he can manage to control our shooters, then the game can be reduced to inside scoring. But he will be mistaken. He knows they have awakened a beast that they may not be able to beat.
Old 04-29-05, 10:23 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

the only way they're going to be able to defend the perimeter better is by leaving TD one on one with whoever fool guards him....pick your poison nugz, pick your poison
Old 04-29-05, 10:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Exactly!!!!
Old 04-29-05, 10:34 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know if changing the starting lineup is so complex to be called a "chess match". So Karl starts Buckner to hound Barry on the perimeter. Fine. It will give more space on the inside for Teemy. That's the priority anyway.
Old 04-29-05, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones
I don't know if changing the starting lineup is so complex to be called a "chess match". So Karl starts Buckner to hound Barry on the perimeter. Fine. It will give more space on the inside for Teemy. That's the priority anyway.
too bad timmy going to get ass raped by kmart
Old 04-29-05, 11:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by warri0r
now that's intelligent basketball analysis (if you happen to be a baboon)
Old 04-29-05, 11:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I speak nothing but the truth.
Old 04-29-05, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I speak nothing but the truth.
generally speaking, truth-so to speak-is enhanced by evidence (empirical or analytical). seeing that there exists no historical evidence to even remotely suggest that martin is capable of handling duncan (see 2003 finals -by the way nuggets fan, the finals is the series in which 2 teams play for the championship), there can be no empirical data to consider this as 'truth'. as for an analytical base, well. i'm not sure if one can consider a reference to sodomy as being all that analytical.

if the truth for you, however, involves indulguing in self-fulfilling visuals of rape, that would be an entirely different issue.
Old 04-29-05, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Want proof? Tomorrow 9:30.
Old 04-29-05, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Karl might look to start guard Greg Buckner, who was signed to be a defensive stopper, in place of Johnson.
I am convinced Buckner has been instructed to charge Manu hard at least once a game. Watch the tapes and the next game.
Old 04-29-05, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think manu is instructed to flop like a fish everytime hes hit, no?
Old 04-29-05, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
is that a desperate fan??
thought u had better takes than that
u think K-Mart can guard duncan?
Old 04-29-05, 11:27 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

This is all speculative BS. Georgie is not going to change the lineup. Buckner's defensive intensity would be totally wasted on Brent if Brent is going to just spot up like he did in Game 2. Georgie wants him on Manu, 'cos even if he can't stop him, he can tire him out with aggressive D. Besides, DerMarr Johnson can attack Brent better than Buckner.

What Denver will do is to stay home on the shooters and make TD beat them 1-on-1. If he tires out later in the game or gets some soreness in the ankle, they would have a good chance to beat the Spurs.

Of course, they would need to have the discipline to do it, because TD attracts double teams like a candleflame attracts moths. They just can't resist. And then they get burned.
Old 04-29-05, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurnaje
is that a desperate fan??
thought u had better takes than that
u think K-Mart can guard duncan?
desperate? I know the truth, you will all see..

8points, 5 rebounds for tim is all come tomorrow
Old 04-29-05, 11:29 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
reading your post makes blindness a wonderful thing to look forward to. as Ellen Glasgow once remarked: "He knows so little and knows it so fluently."
Old 04-29-05, 11:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Is George Karl taking credit for when Pop moved Manu to the bench and started Turk?

The balls on this guy.
To be completely fair, I remember hearing Karl (as a TV analyst last year) say that he would make this move if he were coaching the Spurs. However, I have never heard that he told Pop this.
Old 04-29-05, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
since when has this ever happened in K-marts career vs Duncan?

Duncan with only 8 points?

Thanks for the laugh

your close to wearing out your welcome here anything with troll crap like "ass raped"
Old 04-29-05, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Want proof? Tomorrow 9:30.
i know the time for the game. as for the proof that k-mart suddenly becomes a two time MVP, two time series finals MVP, 7 time all-star and a duncan stopper, well...
Old 04-29-05, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

thx to make myself look foolish when I defended you and stated you were not a troll,
damn I look smart now
Old 04-29-05, 11:33 AM
SpursReport Rookie

can't take a lil trash eh!

well it wasn't even trash....,.,,.,., was the truth
Old 04-29-05, 11:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin
"I don't know that Ginobili's healthy enough to play 35 minutes, and maybe that's why (Popovich's) doing it," Karl said. "But I know the spirit of Ginobili off the bench is pretty dangerous because he just seems to bring a juice and a life to his team that as a starter he hasn't done consistently."
That's an off-base statement. TERRIBLY. If 16-4-3 with 37% from distance, 47% from the field and 80% from the line isn't effective, then what is? Come with sumthin' real Karl!
Old 04-29-05, 11:34 AM
Now With More Eye of Newt

Quote:
I think manu is instructed to flop like a fish everytime hes hit, no?
stand up. straight. then jump back as far as you can. I say you go back about 3 feet. if you are knocked back 12 you can bet it is because of someone else's momentum. as rjv illustrated earlier, facts of any kind don't seem to matter to you as much as hyperbole does.

Manu was getting barreled regularly by denver.

And what did Denver try and do when Manu penetrated? First off Manu is so quick he beats his man and them perfectly weaves his way. Do you know what NBA players have to do to stop that?? not play real defense. They have to try and hurt the guy. Some call it sending a message. some calling protecting the rim. whatever you call it, Manu can get to the rim through traffic as good as kobe or MJ. The difference is the refs swallow their whistles when it happens because they must figure "penetrate at your own risk."
Old 04-29-05, 11:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i think its safe to say manu is a flopper....i've even heard some spurs fans admit to it, shocker i know
Old 04-29-05, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
i think its safe to say manu is a flopper....i've even heard some spurs fans admit to it, shocker i know
maybe you wouldn't read like such a pathetic loser if you weren't so dumb that even blondes tell jokes about you, do yourself and everyone else a favor, take a fatal overdose of your medication.
Now With More Eye of Newt

Quote:
sure it has happened. I've even seen shaq do it. Manu has to guard the players, like himself, who are built to penetrate. By defenition that puts you in such positions. however, just as he has an uncanny ability to out-manuever his opponent when he has the ball, he is also able to "predict" HIS player's move when his player has the ball. That's not voodoo, it's just high basketball IQ.

Others have it too, but don't have the single step quickness Manu has. Perhaps it is due to his large strides . . I don't know.
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

personally, i would recommend an fMRI or a PET scan-they are very effective tools for detecting the onset of schizophrenia or physiological imbalances that could result in irrational behavior or borderline psychosis.
Old 04-29-05, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
warri0r, I find the tone of your posts amusing.

Looks to me like desperate posts from a deperate fan.

Keep your chin up, your team sucked for most of the season, fought to make the 7th seed and were given game 1. Your year could have been much worse.

You and the other Denver faithful have much to look forward to next year.
Old 04-29-05, 11:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Most repair manuals are far more interesting than you, i'd get more pleasure from running my nostrils down a cactus, than reading another contribution from you. Maybe you wouldn't be such a dumbass if you weren't intellectually outclassed by dead sheep.
Old 04-29-05, 12:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

WarriOr.....come out and play!!!!

Want the Truth..... When you were a kid, you cried to you momma wanting a happy meal from McDonald's but instead she put a baloney between two pieces of day old bread and smeared ketchup on the outside shouting at you from the top of her lungs "Here!! here's your Happy Meal" and slapped you upside your head. I like your euphemism of how K-mart was going to "a** rape" TD. Goes to show you how it takes one to know one cliche' since you and Kmart may share a kindred spirit of prison sex.
Old 04-29-05, 01:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

WarriOr:

one more dumb-ass post from you, and I will request you be banned.

not sure why anyone has tolerated your childish behavior, except perhaps out of amusement.
Old 04-29-05, 02:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Damn Warri0r, after game 1 you were pretty solid and controlled... but game 2 must have really gotten to you.

Besides, I don't think KMart has the equipment to do any ass raping.
Old 04-29-05, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Tim was nearly getting 8 and 5 while he was taped up and on the bench in street clothes. Check the man's career playoff stats before you open your mouth. I understand that you are hopeful and optimistic -- but 8 and 5 for Tim Duncan?

Lay off the brown acid.
Old 04-29-05, 02:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Kmart's playing in this series? Hadn't noticed.
Old 04-29-05, 07:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

are the spurs going to blow out the nuggets so bad that timmy only has to play 1 quarter

Old 04-29-05, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Well, the idea of bringing in Manu off the bench has been a constant suggestion by many on this forum, since last year, I remember I made that comment before christmas in 2003, when Hedo was stiinking it up. And several forum guys also have suggested that this year. So back off Karl, the fact is that Pop is a registered poster here and listens to us. I just can't figure out who he is exactly, I thought for a while it was KA, then maybe Dizz but naw, it can't one of them, but I'll figure it out. Pop can't hide from me.
Old 04-29-05, 11:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Can a Mod please ban this person or at least give it a warning?

That comment is WAY uncalled for and in bad taste. You're a troll, straight up.
Old 04-30-05, 12:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASpursFan
Can a Mod please ban this person or at least give it a warning?

That comment is WAY uncalled for and in bad taste. You're a troll, straight up.
Dizz gave him a warning on page 2.....he's on notice.
Old 04-30-05, 12:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Dizz gave him a warning on page 2.....he's on notice.
Quote:

I'm not sure the "warning" was harsh enough.

It damn sure wasn't heeded.

In the first post, the poster can't understand how you could possibly get banned from a site like this. Let me be a Mod for an hour and I'll show him.

OR...put JWest in charge...he would've sent him to his virtual maker by now...

Last edited by LASpursFan; 04-30-05 at 12:11 AM.