SpursReport.com
Old 04-28-05, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Stein: Spurs show who's sheriff

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/dailydime

Spurs show who's sheriff

By Marc Stein, ESPN.com

AP
Brent Barry finally reminded the Spurs why they signed him.This should not have surprised you. Absolutely none of it.

Tim Duncan quickly relocating his sweet touch? Bruce Bowen and his defensive helpers swarming Carmelo Anthony? The selfless move to the bench from All-Star guard Manu Ginobili ... just as Tony Parker shifted back into attack gear?

C'mon.

Not even the lopsided score Wednesday in San Antonio should be classified as a shocker, and that's coming from the coach who had to absorb it.

"Their response," George Karl said, "was very predictable."

Which is why, on this night, we couldn't get away with calling him Furious George. Even after his Denver Nuggets withstood a 104-76 pounding at the metallic barn known as the SBC Center, Karl insisted that he really wouldn't be angry taking a 1-1 series back to the Rocky Mountains.

Because ...

"I think the San Antonio Spurs are the best team in the NBA," Karl says.

And ...

"I think you saw a championship basketball team show their pride and their heart."

There's a reason Karl had a bad feeling this was coming, after the Nuggets came to South Texas and inflicted a Game 1 defeat on the West favorites. He hasn't forgotten how the Spurs, during their last championship run in 2003, lost Game 1 at home twice in the first three rounds -- to Phoenix in Round 1 on Stephon Marbury's banker at the buzzer, and to Dallas in the conference finals. He knew they'd rebound.

What's not so easy to forecast is how the young Nuggets will respond from here. It's fair to wonder, after all the doubt surrounding Duncan's ankle and the Spurs' depth, whether the Nuggets have any momentum left from their Game 1 upset after being so thoroughly toyed with in Game 2.

The good news: Denver has lots to throw at the Spurs besides the swagger stemming from that 32-8 finish to the regular season. The Nuggets have an aggressive point guard (Andre Miller) to make Parker work. They've got length (Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin and Nene) to send at a vulnerable Duncan. They've got a serviceable bench, too, and they're going home to the suffocating air of the Pepsi Center.

The bad news: Duncan suddenly looks a lot more like a fully fledged Tim Duncan, and Anthony is struggling mightily. Melo's line for the series, after two games, includes just 11 baskets, a mere 10 rebounds, a whopping two free-throw attempts ... and (gulp) 10 personal fouls.

So, George, please tell us what happens next.

"Probably going to have a series the rest of the way," Karl said, endorsing his team's ability to bounce back from a humbling.

Since he's been right so far, we're obligated to give George the benefit of the doubt and check back Saturday to see if he's right again.

• Talk back to Marc Stein and the Daily Dime gang
Old 04-28-05, 05:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Stein is the man.
Old 04-28-05, 05:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

You may have to factor in foul trouble when the Spurs play these away games.
So far it's been out of the picture but if Bowen or Nazr get in foul trouble, the
complexion of the game could shift dramatically.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-05, 05:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Since Stein is comissioner, doesn't he have more things to do besides give quotes on teams/players etc.? I wouldn't picture him as a commentator
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-05, 05:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiFtY
Since Stein is comissioner, doesn't he have more things to do besides give quotes on teams/players etc.? I wouldn't picture him as a commentator
David Stern is the commissioner. This article is by Marc Stein
GO SPURS GO
Old 04-28-05, 05:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Stern...Commisioner
Stein...Reporter
Stern...Commisioner
Stein...Reporter
Stern...Commisioner
Stein...Reporter
Stern...Commisioner
Stein...Reporter
Stern...Commisioner
Stein...Reporter
Stern...Commisioner
Stein...Reporter
Old 04-28-05, 05:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

HAHA, sorry I get them mixed up.
Old 04-28-05, 05:37 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
What's not so easy to forecast is how the young Nuggets will respond from here.
Good question. This is that "dealing with adversity" issue that we discussed after game 1. Lets see how Denver deals with adversity come game 3. Im also curious to see if the Spurs can maintain the fire they had in game 2 after a thorough trashing of the Nuggets. Can they get prepared mentally for the next game, or will they slip back into cruise mode thinking they can whoop the Nuggets in their sleep?
Old 04-28-05, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
Good question. This is that "dealing with adversity" issue that we discussed after game 1. Lets see how Denver deals with adversity come game 3. Im also curious to see if the Spurs can maintain the fire they had in game 2 after a thorough trashing of the Nuggets. Can they get prepared mentally for the next game, or will they slip back into cruise mode thinking they can whoop the Nuggets in their sleep?
Expect the Spurs to take a beating in the first quarter of Game 3. Nuggets will be looking for revenge and that Pepsi Center crowd will help them. The Spurs are gonna have to weather the storm of the first quarter and it will likely be a dogfight to the end.
Old 04-28-05, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Denver really got embarrass last night, so I look for them to come back strong in game 3. The main thing the Spurs need to do is withstand the first quarter, if they can do that, they should win the game.
As for Melo I really can’t see him having a good game at all in this series when he's got Bruce Bowen on him.

Im hoping for two wins in Denver........GO SPURS GO
Old 04-28-05, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Rookie

nice avatar demonMvp
Old 04-28-05, 06:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Expect the Spurs to take a beating in the first quarter of Game 3. Nuggets will be looking for revenge and that Pepsi Center crowd will help them. The Spurs are gonna have to weather the storm of the first quarter and it will likely be a dogfight to the end.
Like game 3 at Dallas in 2003
Old 04-28-05, 08:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

i taught you had better sense than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb
Stein is the man.
i agree he say it as it is. good job Stein
Old 04-28-05, 10:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonMvp
Denver really got embarrass last night, so I look for them to come back strong in game 3. The main thing the Spurs need to do is withstand the first quarter, if they can do that, they should win the game.
As for Melo I really can’t see him having a good game at all in this series when he's got Bruce Bowen on him.

Im hoping for two wins in Denver........GO SPURS GO
one thing about getting embarrased like they did last night is you dont want to get embarrased like that again....the Spurs came out early, surprised the nugz, jumped all over them and never looked back....i doubt Karl is going to let that happen again, i expect another tight, defensive game by both teams similar to game 1....Den may have the homecourt but that's the only edge they have.
Old 04-29-05, 02:25 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On
You may have to factor in foul trouble when the Spurs play these away games.
So far it's been out of the picture but if Bowen or Nazr get in foul trouble, the
complexion of the game could shift dramatically.
i agree with you. It is going to be important that RASho and Massenburg are able to contribute because the spurs will need them. THey need to throw their big bodies around at camby and martin. Put a few elbows in their backs.

-Fredrich Nietzsche