News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 09-09-04, 11:18 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Sporting News Pro Basketball Magazine

Anyone else got it?

I loved it!!!!!!

I typed for Laura everything inside about TP, I'll just post it here as a preview.

Fantasy Player #72: Tony Parker- After making significant progress from his first to his second season, Parker's play leveled off in 03- 04. Although his scoring average dipped, it was encourageing to see his assists and rebounds continue to rise. Because of his tremendous speed, Parker appears to be a player who would do better in a fast- breaking style. But the spurs prefer to pound it inside to TD, so pakrer will need more work on his outside shot. Projected stats::15.0 pgg, 5.9 apg, 75 threes.

In the Spurs season preview: Guards: Parker has combined his quickness with a tear drop shot he can release at unusual angles to become one of hte league's more difficult covers. He still struggles with his jump shot but earned the respect of his teammates and coaches this summer when he stayed in SA to work on it. Parker also has relieved Duncan of some of his on court leadership duties- a transition of particular importance to the Spurs, because Parker often is the one with the ball in his bands. If he improves as much as he has each of his first three yrs in the leagues, an All star selection is not out of the question.

In the RFA for next season, he's ranked #5:
Parker is just 22, but he has estabished himself as one of the league's best PG. He must be more consistent though.

Unrestricted FA: 1. Ray Allen 2. Shareef Adur.... 3. Zydrunas Iigauskas, 4. Spreweel 5. A. Walker
RFA: Zach Randolph, J Richardson, AK47, Gasol, Parker

In a section called Stock Exchange:
A few veterans are showing signs of decline, and some promising up and comers are poised to take their place almong the league's best this season:

#2) Tony parker- his standout perforamnce in last 2 season's playoffs had onlookers calling him the best PG in the game. That's pretty heavy praise for a player entering his fourth season. Tim duncan has a habit of making his teammate look good, and Parker should look only better as he continues to improve.

Scout's view:
Tony Parker is not a very big guy, but you have to love his guts. When you have someone his size, someone who still likes to penetrate the lane, the scouting report is going to say "Put a hard foul on him." But you foul Parker hard, and he is going to get right back up and go back into the lane without htinking about it. He's so tough that way.

Great magazine!
Old 09-09-04, 11:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Damn, I wish I got that magazine. TY for typing it up for me previously, AG

I like the scout's view the most, :w00t.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-04, 09:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Thanks AG, love the info.
Old 09-10-04, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
RFA: Zach Randolph, J Richardson, AK47, Gasol, Parker
I don't agree with that at all. AK47 with much less talent around him then Randolph or Richardson lead his team to a better record. He's like an bigger version of Manu with better defense. And really good PG's don't come around that often, Centers and PG's are hard to come by so that makes them a little more valuble in my opionion. Radolph may be talented, but he's also unpredictable and a head case. Richardson plays SG the easiest position to fill in the NBA, and you could take just about any starting SG in the league, put them on that horrible team, and they would put up great stats too, as a top option.

1. AK47, 2. Gasol, 3. Parker, 4. Randolph, 5. Richardson
Old 09-10-04, 12:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Projected stats::15.0 pgg, 5.9 apg, 75 threes.
15,5ppg and 6,5apg it would be great
Old 09-10-04, 01:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Thanks AG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo Girl

In a section called Stock Exchange:
A few veterans are showing signs of decline, and some promising up and comers are poised to take their place almong the league's best this season:

#2) Tony parker- his standout perforamnce in last 2 season's playoffs had onlookers calling him the best PG in the game. That's pretty heavy praise for a player entering his fourth season. Tim duncan has a habit of making his teammate look good, and Parker should look only better as he continues to improve.
BTW, who was #1?
Old 09-10-04, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I got the magazine. The article and analysis on the Spurs is written by Johnny Ludden of the E-N.

It is one of the better, and more candid, capsules on what happened last season and what might be in 2004-05. Particularly as is pertains to Pop's good stubborness/bad stubborness charactistics.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-04, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I am work with a hour to kill before I get off. So I am going to type more things to do with the spurs from the magazine.

Southwest division:

Best draft:
Spurs. Beno Udrih, whose sotck rose during predraft camps, is a solid PG prospect and should be an adequate backup for TP. Romain Sato, with 4 yrs as a starter at Xavier and an impressive NCAA tournament run under his belt, should be ready to compete at the next level. And given San Antonio's impressive draft history, it's hard to question its decisions.

Under section This or That, here is one of the questions:

What's tougher to stop: Tim Duncan's bank shot or KG's fallaway jumper?

Duncan's bank shot. Teams are happy to give Garnett the fallaway because he's usually about 20 feet from the basket when he shoots it- and opponents like it when Grnett is 20 feet from the basket. when he sees the doubel- team coming, Garnett tends to panic a bit and launches the fallaway. Duncan's 14 foot banker is about as realiable as a dunk by Shaq.

Under Expert's Pick: 5 all chose Spurs as head of Southest division. 3 chose Spurs as the NBA champion, the other 2 were split between Pistons and the Wolves. one chose Brent Barry as 6th man of the year.

However, 4 chose KG as the MVP, with the other selecting Shaq.
Old 09-10-04, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
However, 4 chose KG as the MVP, with the other selecting Shaq.
I agree. Duncan will not be pressed to carry a huge load this year, with Pop rightly wanting to run more offense for Parker and Ginobili. The MVP may be a race between Kobe and Shaq.
Old 09-10-04, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Under fantasy players, besides TP, TD, Manu, Brent Barry and Rasho are on the list.

#3) Tim Duncan- In Duncan's first season without Drob, only TD's FT% was measurably lower than his career avg. However, most fantasy owners recall with horor the nine games he missed during the season's stretch run because of a leg injury. But don't sorry, TD has been healthy for the majority of his career. And even though the SPurs always are searching for outside scoring to complement Duncan's inside play, he still dominates.
Projection: 21.5ppg, 12.5 rpg, 2.8bpg

#79) Manu- Ginobili is an exciting young player who is equally adept at spotting up for 3- pointers and driving to the basket. Along with his good shooting, he can help your team with steals. He is expected to crack the starting lineup this season.
Projection: 14.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.0 spg

#99) Brent Barry- Barry has the pasing skills to play some PG, but he's known best for his dead- eye shot from beyond the arc. He should get the chance to do both the spurs, who have lacked a consistent outside threat. Barry was 2nd in the league in 3- point % last season, and that's without TD drawing defenders inside.
Projection: 10.0 ppg, 4.8apg, 43 3p%

#100) Rasho- Nesterovic' lack of scoring was a disappointment in his first season playing alongside TIm Duncan. But Rasho could have been better had he hit some of his FTs; he shot a career low (by far) 47.4%. Expect him to get some of that scoring back and be a serviceable option at centre because of continued improvement in rebounds and blocks.
Projection: 9.7ppg, 7.5rpg, 2.2bpg.