News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-19, 03:19 AM
SR Team Goof

Pau Gasol requested a trade from the Spurs

The NBA trade deadline passed at 2:00 PM CT back on Thursday, Feb. 7. It was “leaked” a day prior that the Spurs had been trying to trade 38-year-old center Pau Gasol and obviously had no luck since he is still with the team. However, it is now being reported through ESPN Deportes that Gasol actually asked the Spurs to trade him prior to the deadline.
The closing of the trade deadline in the NBA left Pau Gasol with the San Antonio Spurs against the will of the player.
The Spanish power forward had asked for a change of air from those in charge of the Texas franchise, but the negotiations did not reach any avenue and Pau will end the season where it started, with the Spurs jersey.
This would explain the excess amount of playing time he got in recent weeks: the Spurs were trying to showcase him for possible suitors. Gasol admits his reduced role is not ideal as he has been clearly passed by Jakob Poeltl in the rotation. Since the deadline passed, Poeltl has returned to his spot ahead of Gasol in the rotation.

Gasol joined the Spurs after Tim Duncan retired in 2016. He was a pretty good addition to the Spurs in his first season-and-a-half, but a shoulder injury over the second half of last season and a foot injury that robbed him of 26 games early this season has seen him fall out of the rotation to the younger, more agile Poeltl. He’s currently averaging 4.4 points and 4.8 rebounds in 12.5 minutes per game, all career lows by a landslide.

His hefty $16.8 million salary combined with those numbers likely played a large role in the Spurs’ inability to move him. He is owed $16 million next season, with $6.7 million guaranteed. Should the Spurs waive him this summer between July 1 and August 31 (which is probably a safe bet at this point unless they are able to trade his entire contract), they could use the stretch provision on him, which would allow them to pay it off his remaining salary over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one.

In this case, they would owe him just over $2.2 million per year through the 2021-22 season. Although it would count against the salary cap, his pay can always be traded to another team who is willing to take the cap hit. This is just one of many possibilities that can happen this summer (ideally they’ll be able to trade him and his expiring contract for something in return), but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

In the meantime, expect to see a lot more Poeltl and less Gasol on the court for the Silver and Black as they make their final push towards the postseason.

Link to article: https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019...from-the-spurs
Old 02-15-19, 03:14 AM
SR Team Goof

Pau Gasol Denies Requesting Trade From Spurs
February 12th, 2019 at 5:37pm CST by Chris Crouse

Whispers that the Spurs were making Pau Gasol available in trades prior to the deadline circulated and it’s possible that the big man had requested the team search for a suitor. Last week, an ESPN Deportes report suggested as much, but Gasol disputed that rumor today.

“What’s the source?” Gasol said of rumors of him requesting a trade (via Tom Orsborn of My San Antonio). “What’s the validity of that story? I don’t know. I didn’t request to be traded.”

The report did not cite a source, instead simply stating (translation from Spanish) that Gasol had asked the team for a trade. The 38-year-old did admit that the current situation is not what he expected it would be.

“I think people understand or can figure out that my situation is not what was expected for me,” Gasol said when speaking with the local media today. “My only wish and desire is to be able to contribute to the team and be able to be on the floor and do what I am supposed to do and do what I signed here to do, and kind of live up to what I am paid for.”

The Spurs re-signed the Spaniard to a three-year, $48MM deal back in the summer of 2017 with visions of continuing the Gasol-LaMarcus Aldridge pairing. However, this season, Gasol has struggled to find a consistent role. In his 26 games played, he has played no more than nine minutes in 10 of them, while seeing 20 minutes or more on just three occasions.

Only $6.7MM of Gasol’s roughly $16MM salary for the 2019/20 campaign is guaranteed and Orsborn writes that the Spurs have looked at ways to “rid themselves” of what’s left on the big man’s deal. Could that be via a buyout? Gasol was asked about the possibility.

“There are a lot of rumors, a lot of stories,” he said. “Who knows where that comes from. It would be great if people say, ‘Hey, this person has said this.’ OK, then let’s talk to this person…But I don’t know. It didn’t come from me. So ask whoever that source or that outlet found that information. Go ask them. I think that’s just fair. Or ask management, right?”

Gasol believes he can still contribute. “I love this game,” he said. “I love what I do. I work hard to be able to do what I do, and I want to continue to do it. I know I may not be in my prime, but I think I can still contribute at a very high level and be an important impact for my team and make my team better.”

Link to article: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/san-antonio-spurs