News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-18, 10:30 AM
SR Team Goof

Seven best free agents still on the market

alh1020: Since the topic between now and 1Aug seems to be whether Brandon Paul will hold down that last roster spot or sent packaging, I thought I'd share this article I saw about remaining free agents still unsigned.

The NBAs wild July free agent market is winding down. The big names went first LeBron James switching teams on July 1 followed by players on the next tiers, and it moved fast this summer with players realizing the market was tight and grabbing what they could. Now, teams are rounding our rosters with their final deals, two-way contracts, and some guys just getting invited to camp.

A few name guys are getting deals Vince Carter and Devin Harris yesterday, for example but for the most part the wild summer of the NBA is over.
Still, there are a few notable free agents out there, several few of them restricted, looking for their next contract. Guys who could help a variety of teams. Guys who can get some buckets, block some shots, and just make plays. Most (after the top few) who will sign for minimum contracts at this point).

Here are our top seven free agents still on the market:

1. Clint Capela (restricted). Hes going to be a Rocket next season other teams are not making offers for him the only question now is the price. Capela believes he is a max or near-max player (his max from the Rockets is five-years, $148 million). He averaged 13.9 points and 10.8 rebounds a game (with a 24.5 PER), shot 65.2 percent, blocked 1.9 shots a game, plus was a crucial part of the Rockets starting lineup and switching defense. The Rockets were 4 points per 100 better with him on the floor. The Rockets offered him five-years, $85 million, which most years would be below his market value (things feel different in this tight market). Does Capela ultimately take that life-changing money (he has only made $6 million in his career), or does he play for the $4.7 million qualifying offer next season then become an unrestricted free agent in 2019?

2. Rodney Hood (restricted). No free agent to saw his stock fall as far last season as Hood he went into last season as the expected go-to scorer of the Utah Jazz, and by the end of the season couldnt get off the bench in Cleveland (and in one case would not get off the bench). With the Cavaliers expected to match most offers (at least realistic ones), no team has been willing to roll the dice on a 68 wing who can get buckets, which also in part speaks to his need for an image upgrade. At this point no team is jumping in with an offer, he will remain a Cavalier, the only question is will it be for the $3.4 million qualifying offer or can the sides work out another deal.

3. Jamal Crawford. His age is going to scare some teams off (hes 38), but the man can still get buckets. Not as efficiently as he once did, but the former Sixth Man of the Year can still score the rock (10.3 points per game last season). Hes also good in the locker room. He would bolster a lot of benches, (the Warriors have long been rumored with a minimum deal, Crawford should have other options as well at that price).

4. Greg Monroe. He bounced between the Bucks, Suns, and Celtics last season. Monroes game is old-school he plays below-the-rim but in the post he scores efficiently, and he will pull down some boards. Its not the style a lot of teams are looking for in their big man, but as a reserve center he can help teams. Someone will jump in to grab him soon.

5. Dwyane Wade. He cant do it every night, he has to be on a program to monitor his knees and get rest, but the man can still dial it up for a stretch and remind everyone he is one of the best two guards the game has ever seen. The question here is does he retire? If not, does he spurn Miami to go play in China (he reportedly has been offered three-years, $25 million by the Zhejiang Golden Bulls)? He could decide to return to the Miami Heat for one more season, a farewell tour.

6. Trevor Booker. He bounced between Brooklyn, Philadelphia, and Indiana last season (he fit in and played well for the Nets and Pacers), and its a bit of a surprise a team has not picked up a solid rotation player at the four or five. Most of his shots come within 10 feet of the bucket, but he is efficient on those. The Cavaliers reportedly have expressed interest.

7. Nick Young. He played 17 minutes a night for the NBA champion Warriors last season (he didnt exactly flow in their offense, or play great defense, but he hit some threes, shooting 41 percent from deep, and made some plays). A number of teams (including the Rockets) have expressed interest, just no deals yet. He needs to get one, the league is just more fun with Swaggy P in it.

Link to article: https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/07/26...on-the-market/
Old 07-26-18, 10:38 AM
SR Team Goof

If I had to choose, I wouldn't mind seeing Crawford, Wade, Monroe or Booker in silver and black. I wouldn't want to deal with restricted FAs Hood or Capela since they're looking for big paydays, but the other might go for the minimum, just to stay and play. We got too many guards so Crawford and Wade would be eliminated. But we could still use a few good bangers, at a low cost, and Monroe and Booker might fit that bill.
Old 07-27-18, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
If I had to choose, I wouldn't mind seeing Crawford, Wade, Monroe or Booker in silver and black. I wouldn't want to deal with restricted FAs Hood or Capela since they're looking for big paydays, but the other might go for the minimum, just to stay and play. We got too many guards so Crawford and Wade would be eliminated. But we could still use a few good bangers, at a low cost, and Monroe and Booker might fit that bill.
I don't see anything special. Only realistic add would probably be Booker who could help with small ball.

I wouldn't mind Hood either, but he would cost too much as well as Spurs don't get into bidding contests.

We already have enough guards for Crawford and Wade would only go where he knows he could win now or get paid.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-27-18, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
I don't see anything special. Only realistic add would probably be Booker who could help with small ball.

I wouldn't mind Hood either, but he would cost too much as well as Spurs don't get into bidding contests.

We already have enough guards for Crawford and Wade would only go where he knows he could win now or get paid.
+1

No Defense Greg Monroe wouldn't get off the bench.
Old 07-30-18, 01:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
+1

No Defense Greg Monroe wouldn't get off the bench.
That's why this all kind of sucks as an NBA fan to be honest. Yes, you like to see the matchups and skills displayed, but realistically, everyone knows how the season will end. Like, let's forward to 2019 and see where all the new free agents go to change up things, implement new rule for playoffs (top 10 teams in, no conference affiliation required), etc.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-18, 06:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

With off season to the point where no new is out there I figure I would post a trade. Since no player we would sign at this point would mack uch of a difference would try to do something different but did not want to start its own thread.

Trade is simple mills and Pau for whiteside and Winslow.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Spurs do this because we get another solid big and a Defensive SF that is young and has gotten better at the 3.

We dont do it because we dont want somoene unhappy in Whiteside and we also like Mills to much to let him go. This also could hurt Potel growth.

Heat do it beause they want to get rid of Whiteshide and helps lower their cap next year. There also has been a few things that winslow has not like about them. They are also short on PG so this would help them out.

They dont do it because they feel they get the worse end of the trade. Really with the players they are giving up I think they would jump on it. You could argue a 2nd thrown in from either side. I have reaad they whiteside is available for trade so is Pau.
Old 08-11-18, 03:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
With off season to the point where no new is out there I figure I would post a trade. Since no player we would sign at this point would mack uch of a difference would try to do something different but did not want to start its own thread.

Trade is simple mills and Pau for whiteside and Winslow.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Spurs do this because we get another solid big and a Defensive SF that is young and has gotten better at the 3.

We dont do it because we dont want somoene unhappy in Whiteside and we also like Mills to much to let him go. This also could hurt Potel growth.

Heat do it beause they want to get rid of Whiteshide and helps lower their cap next year. There also has been a few things that winslow has not like about them. They are also short on PG so this would help them out.

They dont do it because they feel they get the worse end of the trade. Really with the players they are giving up I think they would jump on it. You could argue a 2nd thrown in from either side. I have reaad they whiteside is available for trade so is Pau.
I think you did this because you are boored out of your mind or smoking crack. How about we just trade Gasol straight up for Anthony Davis. I heard he is available for a trade.
Old 08-11-18, 10:39 AM
SR Team Goof

Anthony Davis, a helluva running for USC back in the day but he’s a little undersized for that trade. Woooo, wait a minute Chopps, you mean Anthony Davis from the NO Pelicans? My ribs are starting to hurt from laughing so much. Now, who did you say was smoking junk?
Old 08-11-18, 05:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

eat has been trying to trade whiteside for over a year now. they have forgotten about winslow in the 2017 PO.

Yes I was bored but we also need to get rid of guards and they need guards especially ones that play point. this also gives them cap flexibility.

actually found that something similer had been mentioned in an article.

https://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-...roduct_2716184
Old 08-11-18, 06:07 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
.....................actually found that something similer had been mentioned in an article.

I don't think the Spurs would be interested in trading any of their guards away for an Acer notebook from Staples. I had an Acer PC some years ago which lasted awhile but I don't think the Spurs want to sit down with Staples and negotiate. Just kidding............I think.

Old 08-11-18, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I don't think the Spurs would be interested in trading any of their guards away for an Acer notebook from Staples. I had an Acer PC some years ago which lasted awhile but I don't think the Spurs want to sit down with Staples and negotiate. Just kidding............I think.

Ha I am also looking for a new computer as mine does not have wifi anymore.

here is some talks of a trade being "discussed" who knows how true.

https://thespun.com/nba/cleveland-ca...hompson-korver

Here is the one I meant to post.

https://clutchpoints.com/10-hassan-w...hould-explore/
Old 08-12-18, 07:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
eat has been trying to trade whiteside for over a year now. they have forgotten about winslow in the 2017 PO.

Yes I was bored but we also need to get rid of guards and they need guards especially ones that play point. this also gives them cap flexibility.

actually found that something similer had been mentioned in an article.

For Patty Mills and Gasol, I’d do it in a heartbeat for Whiteside and Winslow. Y’all got to be kidding me if you wouldn’t do that trade. Truthfully Mills is redundant and will be seeing less PT and we all know Gasol is on a TERRIBLE contract. Rather have youth and even though Whiteside may be a bit of a headcase, Pop just may be able to figure how untap all that potential beneath the surface. Heat are desperate to move on from him so let’s give it a shot. Rather go into the season on the fly with a makeshift roster than to go with parts that are only to get worse from here on out.

- Confucius
Old 08-17-18, 09:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

so what about Corey Brewer?
Old 08-18-18, 12:30 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
so what about Corey Brewer?

I thought Brewer had resigned with somebody already. But if hes still a free agent, if it were me, Id go after him in a heartbeat. Ive loved Brewer ever since he left Florida. A big that gets after it, seems to always be in the middle of every play, really good defender. I think it would be a great acquisition.

Old 08-18-18, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I am pretty sure he is still a FA