News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-18-18, 07:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Get your passport Drama Queen Kawhi! Toronto Here you come!

Kawhi to Toronto!!!

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...s-13037976.php

https://clutchpoints.com/spurs-news-...ors-finalized/

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...-antonio-spurs

Last edited by robbpla; 07-18-18 at 07:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-18, 07:29 AM
SR Team Goof

I have dibs on holding the door open while he leaves. I wonder what the Vegas odds are that he’ll decide to sit out the season? He’ll probably go home, go to his room and pout.

Reporter to Leonard: "Kawhi, what are your comments on your trade?"
Leonard to reporter: "Huh? Where am I going?"

Reporter to Leonard:
"Kawhi, any comments about playing for Toronto next year?"
Leonard to reporter: "Toronto? All I said was I wanted out of San Antonio. I didn't say out of the country!?"
Old 07-18-18, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs trade kawhi and green for poeltl and derozan as well as 2019 1st round pick...

I like it alot!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-18, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I have dibs on holding the door open while he leaves. I wonder what the Vegas odds are that he’ll decide to sit out the season? He’ll probably go home, go to his room and pout.

Reporter to Leonard: "Kawhi, what are your comments on your trade?"
Leonard to reporter: "Huh? Where am I going?"

Reporter to Leonard:
"Kawhi, any comments about playing for Toronto next year?"
Leonard to reporter: "Toronto? All I said was I wanted out of San Antonio. I didn't say out of the country!?"

huh?

kawhi doesnt talk to media. to mean “kawhis camp” ?
Old 07-18-18, 09:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Finally.
Old 07-18-18, 10:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The pick is protected 1 - 20, and turns into two second round picks if it ends up going to the Raptors next season.

That really sucks!

Kawhi better get Toronto into the playoffs if we want that 1st round pick.

Last edited by choppsboy; 07-18-18 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-18-18, 11:00 AM
SR Team Goof

In my humble opinion, as of this second, I think the Spurs got shafted and the Raptors are smiling big time. We'll see how this plays out. I would have much rather that Mills would have been included than Green, solely because of the defensive factor. Horse hockey. As long as we can move past this little fiasco.
Old 07-18-18, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I agree, i would personally have rather swapped mills for OG instead of green for poeltl but i think derozan gives us a nice scoring punch to keep us in contention and maybe, hopefully, the poeltl acquisition means we are looking for a way out of the Gasol contract? Thats what im hoping at least...

The pick is just topping, I honestly did not expect us to get a ton with the way things had cooled so im pretty content with this overall.
Old 07-18-18, 11:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Patty has a buddy from the homeland !! Hate to lose Green for his defense.
Old 07-18-18, 11:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
The pick is protected 1 - 20, and turns into two second round picks if it ends up going to the Raptors next season.

That really sucks!

Kawhi better get Toronto into the playoffs if we want that 1st round pick.
i would think toronto should have a low 20's position for the draft as long as they stay healthy and uncle dennis doesn't pull the strings on leonard in regards to pulling some other stunt. i would have preferred lottery protected but top 20 will have to do.
Old 07-18-18, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Mixed feelings about this trade

On one hand, you had hoped the Spurs would have been able to pull off a better trade and at least get OG w/a non protected pick.

On the other hand, no one really knows what true deals were offered to them so this might have been the best deal out there where they get an All-Star player and still can stay in contention if Derozen buys in to the Spurs system.

I have a feeling the Spurs have a plan in place to make this work. Maybe not to win this year, but next year. The drama that was displayed easily has been shown to be Kawhi-led so the Spurs could still look like a great destination for FAs if they still show they can be successful now vs. later.

Other key things to consider:
- Spurs have a young and up and coming nucleus of Murray, White, and hopefully Walker. Shipping Kawhi helps training camp be solely about the system and being successful in furthering the development of these players.

- There are still questions about what happens with Manu, Paul, and Forbes (don't think he was officially signed yet). I think training camp, if not sooner, will help determine if the Spurs are done making movies with Mills, Gasol in mind.

- Could the shooting coach make Derozen a better shooter from 3? I think he can.

- Poeltl is a shot-blocker and if he is remotely mobile, could at least help down low where Gasol might not have any gas to do so.

- Issues I do see are lack of 3 pt shooters at this point to open up the floor. Bertains, Beli, and Mills (and Forbes if he returns) just doesn't cut it as much, but that's my opinion. Hopefully Murray and White have really been working on their shooting.

- Another issue is lack of defensive players. Murray and this Poetlrl guy seems to be it besides Spurs playing good team defense.

Last edited by montgod; 07-18-18 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

One thought I have is this . . .

We didn't make anyone in the West (especially LA) stronger, and we didn't make Boston or Philly stronger.

I am happy to take less for that to be true (especially LA and the West).

AND

Kawhi didn't get what he wanted. I don't think any player should be rewareded for leveraging a trade.
Old 07-18-18, 01:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
One thought I have is this . . .

We didn't make anyone in the West (especially LA) stronger, and we didn't make Boston or Philly stronger.

I am happy to take less for that to be true (especially LA and the West).

AND

Kawhi didn't get what he wanted. I don't think any player should be rewareded for leveraging a trade.
I agree.

I do get a little satisfaction that for at least one year, the Spurs sent him where he didn't want to go with all his antics.

However, if the Lakers, Clippers had a better offer than what the Spurs got from the Raptors, I would be agitated that they didn't pull the trigger on it. I have to believe that the deals weren't as good. In the end, it doesn't matter about rivalries for one year because everyone knows it will most likely be GS vs BOS in the finals regardless of what other teams do.
Old 07-18-18, 01:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's a win win. Lamarcus gets to be #1 and so does Kawhi. We were a playoff team last year without the Claw. Derosen is not a Kwahi however is an upgrade on what we put on the floor last year. Aldridge is not looking over his shoulder waiting for Kawhi to take the team over. It is now officially his.
Old 07-18-18, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
It's a win win. Lamarcus gets to be #1 and so does Kawhi. We were a playoff team last year without the Claw. Derosen is not a Kwahi however is an upgrade on what we put on the floor last year. Aldridge is not looking over his shoulder waiting for Kawhi to take the team over. It is now officially his.
From that perspective, it is a win. Kawhi doesn't know what he wants... so let's not even consider that lol!

My hope is that one of those young 3 (Murray, White, or Walker) really come out this year swinging to become a very nice #3. Money is on Murray.