News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-18, 04:26 PM
SR Team Goof

Are the Raptors a viable trade destination for Kawhi Leonard?

The Lakers, Clippers, 76ers and Celtics have dominated Kawhi Leonard trade discussions for most of the summer.

But the Raptors have emerged as a trendy pick for the starís destination. One betting site even gave Toronto even odds against the field Ė including the Spurs Ė as Leonardís team to begin next season.

Are the Raptors actually a realistic landing spot for Leonard?

Brian Windhorst and Zach Lowe of ESPN discussed on The Lowe Post podcast.

Windhorst:
"Toronto Raptors, I think theyíre in the driverís seat for Kawhi. Because I think the Lakers have given up. The Sixers have given up. And with the Nets, Bulls and Hawks spending their cap space, it makes it harder to assemble a multi-team trade. I think the Raptors are in the driverís seat."

Lowe:
"Iíve seen a lot of snark on Twitter that the Raptors stuff is a joke, that the odds went up because of something I said on my podcast and you said on TV. Iíve seen it being dismissed. It may not happen. Most NBA trades donít happen. But if you think itís a joke, you should probably recalibrate your expectations."

The Raptors can construct an offer built around:
Because DeRozan and Lowry earn more than Leonard, the Raptors could also take back a costly contract San Antonio wants to dump.

Such a deal would allow the Spurs to remain competitive now while gaining long-term assets under greater team control than Leonard, who can walk in unrestricted free agency next summer.

Itíd also give the Raptors a championship chance they wouldnít have next season otherwise. The window might not remain open long considering Leonardís health and contract status, but thereís something to be said for raising the ceiling when it can reach that level Ė even if it means lowering the floor. Plus, if Leonard left, Toronto could more easily transition into its next phase than if DeRozan and Lowry remained on the books.

This trade framework makes too much sense for the teams not to discuss it. But whether thatíd result in an actual deal is another question.

Link to article: https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/07/17...kawhi-leonard/
Old 07-17-18, 04:31 PM
SR Team Goof

If the Spurs deal with Toronto, I certainly would not take Lowry, but would demand DeRozan and any 2 of Poeltl, CJ Miles and Anunoby and as many 1st picks as we can get. And if we need to dump salaried players to equal out the trade, give them Mills.