News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-18, 11:30 AM
SR Team Goof

Sixers unwilling to spend too much for Kawhi Leonard

alh1020: this is pretty much what we've heard before but this comes from the Philly Inquirer Daily News.

The 76ers are willing to walk away from the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes.

The team is in talks with San Antonio to acquire the two-time all-star via a trade. The Sixers are confident that they can sway him to pick up his player option or re-sign with them via free agency next summer.

But the two-time NBA defensive player of the year has expressed a desire to be traded to his hometown Los Angeles Lakers. As a result, potential trading partners are not willing to give into the Spurs’ steep trade demands if he’s not going to re-sign with their team.

The Sixers are no different.

“If the right situation comes where we can acquire someone that can really add value to our program and the cost of it isn’t prohibitive, then we’ll move forward and do that,” Sixers co-managing partner Josh Harris said. “But if that doesn’t come along for whatever reason, then we’ll keep moving forward with our program.”

The Spurs keep trying to raise the ante for Leonard, saying that another team is offering more, according to sources.

The Sixers’ most realistic package to submit to San Antonio could involve Dario Saric, Robert Covington and the Miami Heat’s 2021 unprotected first-round pick. However, the Spurs want two players — again, believed to be Saric and Covington — and three future first-round picks.

So the Sixers will have to decide if they want to part with two more first-round picks or see if the Spurs will back off those demands.

“I think even just based what we did this offseason, we are going to get better and move closer to our goal,” Harris said, “which is that NBA championship that we keep talking [about]. … If we get the right deal, we will do it.”

The Sixers re-signed JJ Redick to a one-year deal and acquired Wilson Chandler, who has an expiring contract, in a trade with the Denver Nuggets. Minnesota free agent Nemanja Bjelica also agreed to a one-year contract, and Amir Johnson will re-sign for another season.

Link to article: Sixers unwilling to spend too much for Kawhi Leonard - Philly
Old 07-10-18, 11:52 AM
SR Team Goof

I can’t believe we’re only 10 days into free agency when, to me anyway, it seems like months. I know Pop and RC have a game plan for this Leonard situation and probably have gone through this type situation many times before and have battle scars to prove it, but it doesn’t take much for my paranoia to fester. If we were to back off the demand of 3 first-round picks from Philly and go with the Miami Heat’s 2021 unprotected first-round pick with Saric and Covington, I’d be happy. I feel the longer we demand a king’s ransom for Leonard, we’re going to lose bidders, enter the regular season with Leonard on the roster and go to next summer holding an empty bag. And I feel if we still have Leonard on the roster, he won’t play a single game for the Spurs. And what did I tell you about my paranoia before……fester.
Old 07-10-18, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If he doesn't play the year, he isn't a free agent and has to do it all over again. He isn't that dumb.

I feel the same way about trading now vs later, but we don't know what the real offers have been to really comment.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-18, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I know Pop and RC have a game plan for this Leonard situation and probably have gone through this type situation many times before and have battle scars to prove it, but it doesn’t take much for my paranoia to fester.
Just sit back and relax.

There is no real sense of urgency from the Spurs side. It was mostly the media (ESPN, I'm looking at you) and probably driven by some parties with an interest in this (Certain teams and certain family members, *cough*) who are drumming up a storm in a tea cup.

I'm not saying there's no crisis. There's indeed one and I'm sure Spurs management are working on something and I feel that they are not in a hurry. That's all I need to know.

Notice that before the big name free agents committed (more specifically, Lebron James) that ESPN was posting almost daily BS on Kawhi with 'sources', speculations, unrealistic transactions etc. It was almost unbearable.

Now there are more certainty and all of a sudden all the 'breaking news' on Kawhi just quieted down.

I felt that they were creating an anxiety amongst everyone. Totally unwarranted. There are so many unknowns in this story that we Spurs fans should take all those information with a (GIANT) grain of salt.

Do you feel that they were setting up a false belief that trading Kawhi is the only viable solution? And it's working. I have read this so many times on the Internet since this saga started: I'm so sick of this let's just trade him already...

This is really really sad. I personally think that re-sign Kawhi is possible but difficult, but all those damage done by the media largely made this more difficult.

So chill out and don't get so worked up by the media.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-18, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I should add that when I said 'media' I really meant ESPN.

I don't really take ESPN seriously before and after this they lost more (if any left) respect from me. It almost felt like they are all on Lakers' payroll.