News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-29-18, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What if Kawhi re-signs?

Wherever you go for Spurs news this day and age, you cannot help but see such negativity and resentment from fans. It’s almost as if the general consensus of loyal Spurs fans is that there is a 0% chance that Kawhi stays. Listen, what if there is a chance Pop does get an honest sit down with Lebron and he decides to join. The Kawhi situation very well may not be resolved until SuperMax is eligible on the 16th. Money talks and the possibility (no matter how minuscule) of adding a supreme talent can certainly help things. Knowing that, Lebron’s FA period starts before the SM date and the Spurs are under no obligation or pressure to trade Kawhi on July 1st. Being his importance to the franchise and going against the current media reports, the Spurs could decide to hold onto him in the meantime.

If somehow it is coordinated at some point that Lebron and Kawhi talk about wanting to play together and that SA provides the best base/ structure moving forward to win-now. In case any of you forgot, in January and February there was plenty of love between Pop and LBJ. Most recently in April with Erin’s passing, Lebron was very emotional upon learning of the news during a live post game interview so the admiration and utmost respect certainly exists between the two men. In the event the Spurs pitch is successful and leaves quite the impression, the unthinkable could in fact happen. Lebron is looking to win and is poised to leave CLE. The point I am trying to make is that Lebron could easily convince Kawhi to stay if his pitch w/ Pop goes well. The hardest part is just getting the opportunity in the first place. We could be a dark horse one minute and then suddenly be a favorite since we all know how quick things unfold in FA. One way or another Spurs fans, we are getting to the point of a resolution, which is all we wanted during the season but had to wait until now for.

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-18, 09:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-18, 01:26 AM
SR Team Goof

I think the odds makers in Vegas may be scrambling with the possibilities you list above about Lebron coming to SA since Paul George has agreed to a four-year, $137M max contract with the Thunder. The article said George didn't even give the Lakers face time. But personally I wouldn't put a whole lot of money on that happening. If Leonard were to stay here, I'd be a little wary about a couple things though .....1) how ruptured the relationship would be with his teammates since Leonard didn't show any support to them during the playoffs and 2) what kind of response Leonard would get when he would be announced in the starting lineup.
Old 07-01-18, 12:43 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

he doesnt have to re-sign anything to be back next year. it just means a deal wasn't done, he's still under contract and he'll be buying time to leave next year. and then spurs have little leverage as the season moves forward.
Old 07-01-18, 09:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well this thread went down the drain. Lebron in LA. WTF is going on

- Confucius
Old 07-02-18, 01:02 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 (What if Kawhi re-signs?)

Like I posted in another thread, since George is staying with OKC and Lebron has agreed to sign with LAL and the Spurs keeping their cards close to their vests, the only other valuable asset out there now for LAL is Cousins. If Cousins chooses to a one year ‘lets see’ deal with LAL, LAL can sit back and wait for the 2019 free agency period and get Leonard for nothing. In the meantime, the Spurs are over bidding themselves out of a deal with Philly by asking for 2 current players (unnamed) and three, that’s right, three 1st round draft picks for Leonard and Philly will probably pull away from the table. Plus, Boston is leery of giving up assets to the Spurs and doubtful they can retain Leonard more than the one season. Spurs will soon have no suitors, with Leonard suiting up for the Spurs or the Spurs just telling him to watch the games from home and lose him to free agency next summer with no return. Isn’t life grand.
Old 07-02-18, 01:29 AM
SR Team Goof

Shoot, with what has been happening within the last 4-5 hours, Leonard may not be in the Laker's immediate plans. The Lakers have agreed to terms with the likes of both Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Lance Stephenson and they have reportedly agreed to sign former Golden State Warriors big man JaVale McGee. Maybe interest in Cousins has diminished as well. I think any leverage the Spurs may have had in trading Leonard has about dried up. The Lakers, I've read, have just become a possible contender in the West with free agent veterans coming in at the low price spread amount. And I don't think the Lakers are finished yet.
Old 07-02-18, 11:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Shoot, with what has been happening within the last 4-5 hours, Leonard may not be in the Laker's immediate plans. The Lakers have agreed to terms with the likes of both Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Lance Stephenson and they have reportedly agreed to sign former Golden State Warriors big man JaVale McGee. Maybe interest in Cousins has diminished as well. I think any leverage the Spurs may have had in trading Leonard has about dried up. The Lakers, I've read, have just become a possible contender in the West with free agent veterans coming in at the low price spread amount. And I don't think the Lakers are finished yet.
Lakers have plenty of options to open up space for Kawhi and Cousins if they want to thanks to GM Lebron clearing a lot of their space w/that Cavs trade last year. Spurs leverage isn't as high unless Magic wants to preserve Lebron and get him a viable star to compete and possibly win vs GS. Otherwise, this year will be a feeling out year until Kawhi signs with them next year. Ughhh...
Old 07-02-18, 01:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sorry, call me pessimistic but Spurs are screwed. LAL have signed enough 1 yr deals to wait out until Kawhi comes over next summer. The league knows Kawhi wants to go to LA so they will only be renting for one year so Spurs have no leverage at this point.
Old 07-02-18, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 View Post
Sorry, call me pessimistic but Spurs are screwed. LAL have signed enough 1 yr deals to wait out until Kawhi comes over next summer. The league knows Kawhi wants to go to LA so they will only be renting for one year so Spurs have no leverage at this point.
Yes, I agree it's less than ideal now. I wrote my take before Lebron signed. So now Magic has to weigh on the fact of does he lose a year of Lebron and waste him coming for just added attention or does he finish the job in winning now? If he chooses win now, than he still makes an acceptable offer for Kawhi and also proves to Kawhi he cares about his well-being enough to 'get him out of there'.

We just have to wait and see... sigh.
Old 07-04-18, 03:27 AM
Resident Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
It may be hard to believe but we dodged a bullet. Thats WTF is going on. I'm sure I stand alone on this one when I emphatically say Lebron is the antithesis of the SPURS organization.
Old 07-04-18, 11:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I did not want lebron either. If he was as good as people said he would he could build his own team and bring it. I think he will be exposed in LA. I think he will still make the PO but wont make the conference finals.
Old 07-05-18, 02:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
I did not want lebron either. If he was as good as people said he would he could build his own team and bring it. I think he will be exposed in LA. I think he will still make the PO but wont make the conference finals.
What would be exposed? That his teams aren't successful because of his abilities and that it's his teammates that have carried him to the finals the past 8 years?
Old 07-05-18, 10:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

You are a fool if you don't want the best player on the planet on your team. You probably were the ones that said you would want Kobe on your team either.
Old 07-05-18, 07:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Lebron comes in and has a great team then turns around and leaves when there is nothing left.

AS far as exposed. It will show that he is not as good of a player as people say he is. He has always had other all stars on his team and has not been playing with scrubs lie people try and say. He also was in a weaker conference which helped him.
Old 07-05-18, 09:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Lebron comes in and has a great team then turns around and leaves when there is nothing left.

AS far as exposed. It will show that he is not as good of a player as people say he is. He has always had other all stars on his team and has not been playing with scrubs lie people try and say. He also was in a weaker conference which helped him.
He made it to the finals with this roster:

Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Larry Hughes
Drew Gooden
Eric Snow
Donyell Marshall
Damon Jones
Ira Newble
Scot Pollard
Sasha Pavlović
David Wesley
Shannon Brown
Anderson Varejo
Dwayne Jones
Daniel Gibson

Last edited by maldoror; 07-05-18 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 11:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I agree that Lebron will find it MUCH harder to make it to the finals this year and I don't see it happening with his current team. Maybe 5th seed out of the West. In saying all that, he IS the best player in the NBA today, hands down. You can't ever say no if he comes a calling to the Spurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 View Post
You are a fool if you don't want the best player on the planet on your team. You probably were the ones that said you would want Kobe on your team either.
I fully agree! Looking at Kawhi, who was supposed to be the perfect Spur model, turned out to be a wacko with zero direction. The good thing is the Spurs were able to win while he was still allowing the Spurs to give him direction. Lebron knows what he wants and that's winning first no matter what his overall agenda is (i.e. catching up to Jordan's accomplishments, etc.) and that's alright with me.
Old 07-06-18, 05:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I dont think he is the best player and not even close to being hands down. KD, Kawhi, AD and steph easily are as good if not better then him. Part of playing a team sport is knowing how to play as a team which he does not know how to do. You have others such as westbrook and Harden that are close to him and may be better. You also have some young players that are cooming up that if they were in prime could potentially challenge him in KP and KAT. I am sure there are others that I am not thinking of.

As far as the team mentioned Big Z was selected in 2005 so not to far away from being a current ALL star and was on that team. Drew gooden had one of his best years that year. Hughes was all defense first team in 2005 and also was a solid scorer. His team was not as bad as people like to make it seam and he got swept. Also what other good teams were there in the east that year.