News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-27-18, 01:25 PM
SR Team Goof

Awwwwwww..... that's too bad!!!

Lakers Feeling Pressure To Land Kawhi Before LeBron Decision?

June 27th 2018 at 11:29am CST by Luke Adams

Pressure appears to be mounting on the Lakers to make a deal for Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard before LeBron James makes his free agent decision, according to Adrian Wojnarowski, Brian Windhorst, and Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.com.

As ESPNís report explains, thereís a belief that James would be reluctant to commit to the Lakers in free agency if heís the only star headed to Los Angeles. With Paul George no longer viewed as a lock to land in L.A., Leonard may represent the Lakersí best bet to acquire another star to help convince James to head west.

Jamesí player-option decision due on Friday, so thereís a race to acquire Leonard by then, per Woj, Windhorst, and Shelburne. The Celtics, Cavaliers, Sixers, and Clippers are among the teams that have made offers for Leonard, and multiple teams in that group figure to be in the mix for James too. If the Lakers were to lose out on Leonard to, say, the Sixers or Cavs, it could reduce L.A.ís chances of recruiting LeBron to L.A.

Of course, the Spurs have stated they wonít rush into any trade involving Leonard, since their preference would be to retain him. Itís possible that they receive an offer this week that they simply canít refuse, but the Spurs likely wonít be eager to improve another teamís chances of landing James.

Here are several other key updates related to the Lakers, Cavaliers, James, Leonard, and more:
  • Although the Lakers came away from their initial conversation with the Spurs feeling like San Antonio ďshut the doorĒ on them, ESPNís trio reports that the Spurs havenít ruled out trading Leonard to any destination in the Eastern or Western Conference.
  • The Lakers have been on the lookout for a future first-round pick on the trade market and are willing to take on 2018/19 salary, per ESPN. The Lakers could keep a max-salary slot open for a free agent even if they take on some salary, and that pick could be used to sweeten a larger trade package.
  • While the Cavaliers have been actively exploring ways to upgrade their roster via trades or free agency, they havenít been given the chance to meet with or discuss scenarios with James, league sources tell ESPN. With LeBron unwilling to commit to the Cavs, it will be tricky for the front office to execute a major trade in the interim. For instance, if George were to consider picking up his player option to accommodate a trade to Cleveland, heíd want to know that James was sticking around.
  • Although the Cavaliers have inquired about Leonard, they probably donít have the assets to pull off a deal, given their competition for the star forward, per ESPNís report.
  • James is hoping to decide on his free agent destination fairly quickly, according to ESPN.
  • Some league executives who spoke to Sean Deveney of The Sporting News believe that James would be willing to sign with the Lakers even if the team hasnít made any other impact moves yet. ďTheyíre doing enough research to suggest that heís going to be willing to take that plunge and let the roster come together,Ē one GM told Deveney. ďItís what happened in Cleveland four years ago.Ē When James signed with the Cavaliers in 2014, he did so before the team had finalized a trade for Kevin Love.
Link rto article: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/...-decision.html
Old 06-28-18, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

if reports of lebron wanting to play w kawhi are true, then seems to make more sense he signs a one year deal w the spurs. lol

they can both play together, disgruntled, w the spurs for a year. and then move on next year. hehe. pop retires. rebuild.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-18, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
if reports of lebron wanting to play w kawhi are true, then seems to make more sense he signs a one year deal w the spurs. lol

they can both play together, disgruntled, w the spurs for a year. and then move on next year. hehe. pop retires. rebuild.
I wish! LOL!

It's going to get really interesting quick since the Lakers know Lebron will come if they get Kawhi so they have to give an offer that will be accepted.

Even though I wish Kawhi would have a change of heart, I'd be just fine with an Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and a first rounder. Crossing fingers...

https://www.lakersnation.com/nba-tra...rd/2018/06/28/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-18, 03:27 PM
SR Team Goof

You know the Lakers are going to low-ball as long as they can, but if they want anything from Pop/RC, theyíll have to fold eventually and give us what we want, thatís if Pop/RC hold steadfast. I would take Ingram, Kuzma, maybe even Hart and definitely that 1st rounder (a second 1st rounder would be even better) and if the possibility of having a sign/trade of Randle thrown in, then I would have my Christmas present for 2018 and years to come.

However, through this whole process, what tickles me more than anything is that Lebron James, considered by many worldwide as probably the greatest b-ball player around, wonít make a decision, on his own, until either Leonard, PG13, CP3 or Durant commits to join him. James has hours before he has to say yes/no to his player option and only Leonard canít call his shots on his next move but he can voice his opinion, sorry, his people can voice his opinion.

Hereís the one thing that bothers me if Leonard is not traded and will have to put on #2 for this coming season if the team, and I mean his teammates will allow him. What if heís on the floor during the game and purposely goes half speed, not up to his norm. What does the Spurs management do at that point? Tell him to stay at home and must eat his salary? Have regular post game interviews and give the press updates on what Leonard did that day to earn his paycheck? Iíll tell you, Iím really disappointed with Leonard
Old 06-28-18, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs are definitely doing the best they can with what they have.

I have no doubt the Lakers will cave because they are pressed to win now or at least be in the discussion since they have been out of it for a long while. And I'm sure Magic hurts to see Celtics already being successful and the Lakers not even close with all these low picks over the last few years.

Lebron and Kawhi is a Laker dream come true. Pop will wait and get what he wants or make Lakers stew. Lebron and PG doesn't scare anyone. Lebron and Kawhi... folks will flock to be the next GS.

So at this point, the Lakers are on the clock with free agency pending and Lebron decision looming.

Get yo popcorn ready lol!

And there is no way Kawhi half-does it this season or he knows even the Lakers will question signing him if he does. It doesn't benefit him in any way to do what he did last year. He would lose more money because he would lose all his endorsements and make teams question him. Again, this is where the Lakers are pressured because the trade has to happen before or early on in free agency or they are screwed with second tier talent (i.e. Lebron not coming ...and his friends aren't either) and wasting another year being average.

Last edited by montgod; 06-28-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-28-18, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

thing is. kawhi's injury was not truly misdiagnosied. its just that he had pain. ongoing pain, of unclear etiology. these issues are very difficult to deal with.
i wonder if he's gonna cont to have these issues. so i would trade him NOW before season starts and he keeps having 'injuries'. not saying i want him gone, but knowing he wants to leave, jst move him when asking price is high. and i think that time is BEFORE the season starts. after the season, people will jst wait till next year.