News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-18, 12:29 AM
SR Team Goof

Spurs draft Miami guard Lonnie Walker, USC big man Metu

The San Antonio Spurs chose Lonnie Walker IV of Miami with the 18th overall selection in the NBA Draft on Thursday night, going with an athletic, versatile guard amid uncertainty surrounding the future of Kawhi Leonard.

Walker, who averaged 11.5 points in his lone season with the Hurricanes, joins a backcourt crowded at the moment with the likes of Danny Green, Patty Mills, Bryn Forbes and Brandon Paul.

''I'm ready to get after it right now,'' Walker said. ''If they wanted me to work out and practice right now, I'd do it. I'm ready to compete, and at the end of the of the day, I want to be the best. I'm addicted to being the best. I'm obsessed with being the next great. It's time to be a dog, and it's just that simple I've got something to prove.''

Walker shot 35 percent from 3-point range in 32 games with Miami.

The Spurs are hoping Walker can team with third-year player Dejounte Murray to form a young, athletic backcourt to help counter the tandems of Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson in Golden State and Chris Paul and James Harden in Houston.

The Spurs remain optimistic they can persuade Leonard to remain, but the superstar forward reportedly wants to leave the only franchise he has played for. Leonard played in only nine games last season while battling a right leg injury. His absence along with injuries to Tony Parker, Rudy Gay, Pau Gasol, Kyle Anderson led to San Antonio's worst season in two decades.

The Spurs finished seventh in the Western Conference at 47-35, snapping a streak of 18 consecutive seasons with 50 victories. San Antonio battled until the season's final week to extend its streak of consecutive playoff appearances to 21 straight.

San Antonio used the 49th overall pick in the second round on Chimezie Metu, a 6-11 standout at Southern California who averaged 15.7 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.74 blocks per game as a junior. In three seasons for the Trojans, Metu averaged 12.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists and finished third in school history with 168 blocks.

Link to article: https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-miami...1465--nba.html
Old 06-23-18, 11:15 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

wait
Chimezie Metu, a 6-11 standout at Southern California who averaged 15.7 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.74 blocks per game as a junior.
isnt that a sick stat line for college. and better than lonnie walkers?

whats wrong with this guy? why was he a late 2nd round barely picked guy? was it all against weak compettition for something?
or is everyones college stat line look like this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-23-18, 11:20 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

read the repots.

sounds like he's super lazy, jst happens to have nba skill/talent but not interested at all (as per scouting report):

"Effort level comes and goes. Still has games where he floats outside the action. Overall mentality needs to improve.

Highlights

Comparison: Noah Vonleh

Metu has all the talent to make things work in the NBA but needs to do it on a more consistent basis."

sounds like andrew bynum kinda stuff. doesn't wanna be there. but good way for him to collect paycheck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-23-18, 12:13 PM
SR Team Goof

How about criticizing a guy who is a first round pick, chosen by the Celtics no less, who has comparable statistics who fell asleep during his introductory conference call who has a history of being lazy --- Robert Williams, Texas A&M.

https://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/...h-13019191.php