News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-18, 12:10 PM
SR Team Goof

If we trade Leonard, who do you believe has the best assets in return??

Ok, I’m almost to the point where I believe we may have to trade Leonard. However, in another thread, I concur with the post that the best fit for Leonard is here with the Spurs. Now, since Leonard (or his camp) want this trade, don’t think for one minute that Pop and RC will convince any suitors who will vie for Leonard’s services. My motto in this situation is, since these teams came knocking, if they want Leonard, you’ll have to pay up – if you don’t, there are others who want him. And if the team is in the Western Conference, empty your pockets. And if it’s the Lakers, you’re gonna bleed. This is total speculation, but I think Magic Johnson orchestrated a lot of what is happening around Leonard and in the media. Oh, I forgot, there’s no player tampering in the NBA because the league officials are right on top of it.

So, if we must give Leonard up (and I want to remind you Leonard is considered or said to be by many sports analysts to be one of the top 5 players in the NBA), who do we deal with and what player(s) and/or accessories do you expect in return? Here are mine:

Boston………………. they own the 27th pick --- I want at least two of Rozier, Brown, Morris and their 27th pick this year and their 1st round pick for next year. I don't want Irving!! (Screw Danny Ainge)

LA Lakers……………they own the 25th and 47th pick --- I don’t want Deng and his inflated salary nor Ball and his daddy baggage. I want Imgram, Kuzma, Randle (if a sign/trade is possible), their 25th pick this year and their next two 1st round picks. The Lakers cleared their roster in hopes of a big summer so they don’t have many assets, so screw Magic.

LA Clippers………...they own both the 12th and 13th picks ----- I want Harris, either Dekker or Williams (maybe both) and both picks #12, 13

Phila Sixers………...they own a lot of picks this year: #10, 26, 38, 39, 56, 60. I want Covington and Saric and the 10th and 38th picks this year and their 1st round pick next year. I don't want Fultz!!

Phoenix Suns……...they own the 1st, 16th, 31st,59th picks. I want Bender and Chriss and their 1st and 31st picks this year and their 1st round pick next year.

*** To get some of these scenarios to work, a 3rd team may be needed, so if there is a 3rd team involved, I will want the 3rd team’s 1st round pick for next year as well
Old 06-16-18, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I want Ingram, Kuzma and either Randle or Hart, plus their 1st!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-18, 12:48 PM
SR Team Goof

Randle, I believe, is a restricted free agent which is the reason I mentioned a sign and trade, if it were possible to arrange. Hart I'm not familiar with. Otherwise, the Lakers have to be gutted. They don't have a whole lot of assets to deal with since Magic cleared salary for an expected big summer in free agency. Deng he has to keep, that's on Magic.
Old 06-16-18, 06:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Anyone but that moronic idiotic Ball clan.

Last edited by spur43; 06-16-18 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-18, 08:48 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by spur43 View Post
Anyone but that moronic idiotic Ball clan.

Amen, brother.

Old 06-16-18, 09:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

No way on God's green earth Pop & Co. would deal with that. From quiet, no taking Kawhi to a loud mouth bastard like Lavar...HELL NO! I will fever and quit this team after 31 years in a heartbeat!!

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 06-18-18 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 01:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post

Boston………………. they own the 27th pick --- I want at least two of Rozier, Brown, Morris and their 27th pick this year and their 1st round pick for next year. I don't want Irving!! (Screw Danny Ainge)

LA Lakers……………they own the 25th and 47th pick --- I don’t want Deng and his inflated salary nor Ball and his daddy baggage. I want Imgram, Kuzma, Randle (if a sign/trade is possible), their 25th pick this year and their next two 1st round picks. The Lakers cleared their roster in hopes of a big summer so they don’t have many assets, so screw Magic.

LA Clippers………...they own both the 12th and 13th picks ----- I want Harris, either Dekker or Williams (maybe both) and both picks #12, 13

Phila Sixers………...they own a lot of picks this year: #10, 26, 38, 39, 56, 60. I want Covington and Saric and the 10th and 38th picks this year and their 1st round pick next year. I don't want Fultz!!

Phoenix Suns……...they own the 1st, 16th, 31st,59th picks. I want Bender and Chriss and their 1st and 31st picks this year and their 1st round pick next year.

*** To get some of these scenarios to work, a 3rd team may be needed, so if there is a 3rd team involved, I will want the 3rd team’s 1st round pick for next year as well

Boston I would want Tatum and Brown would like Morris thrown in but agree with not wanting Irving.

Lakers- would want Ingram kuzma and hart. Would also accept Randell in sign and trade. I think any trade with Lakers will include Deng. Maybe we could get them to take mills back but I think that would be tough also.

Clippers dont like much from them but would want both 12th and 13th pick and harris.

Philly- dont know why people like covington as I think he is overpaid. I would want their picks as simmons or embid. I am not high on either one of these (embid because of injury). Would also be interested in Fultz but would probably go more for simmons and saric.

Suns- I would want either josh jackson bender and Alex Len. Would try and get chriss as well. Would also want their 16th pick as I dont think we can get the 1st unless it is just pick and maybe len and jackson.

3rd teams usually get a pick not give them up so us getting a pick from them would probably not happen.
Old 06-17-18, 09:23 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

only trade scenario where we win is with celtics if we get BOTH tatum and jbrown. but given what they dis in the playoffs, celtics wud be dumb to let them go for leonards whiny injured body.
philly isnt trading embid or simmons, theyd want kawhi to put around them (‘one more piece’)

trade with anyone else we lose big.

and pops leaving in 2 seasons anyway.

prob avery johnson will come back to coach then.
Old 06-17-18, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Definitely not getting Tatum. It'll be Kyrie with Brown or Morris. Probably not even Brown. After what Irving said, I think it would be Irving/Morris and a couple picks. Ainge is a low-baller...plus Will Kawhi agree to sign an extension will be the biggest part of what the Spurs can get back. They'd only give up Kyrie and a possible pick if Kawhi won't agree to a extension. Hell they might only offer Gordon with a pick.

Ainge has no LOYALTY! Hayward might go down as the highest paid player to play for a team with the least time played. If true...Kawhi has put the Spurs in a terrible bond. Pop would have to swallow his pride and deal with the Lakers. If so, they need to gut their young players not named BALL!
Old 06-17-18, 11:47 AM
SR Team Goof

Ever since the mere hint of Leonard not wanting to come back to SA was mentioned out loud, I started getting this gut reaction that in any trade for him, we (the Spurs and fans) would be short changed. I must agree with all of you that we should be heavily compensated for trading Leonard, regardless of who that suitor might be. The Spurs organization, to include assistant coaches right on up to Pop and RC, have guided, molded and transformed this gym rat, that was Leonard, into one of the top 5 players in the NBA today. Any accomplishment that Leonard has achieved can be pointed to the long hours mentoring this shy guy from the streets of LA. When Pop and RC sit down with these interested suitors, they must convince these people they are getting the finished product and not walk away from any bargaining table with any doubt in their minds that they (Pop and RC) have negotiated the very best possible deal for Leonard in return. If Danny Ainge or Magic Johnson, say, try to pitch Pop and RC a line of BS and peddle crap, Pop and RC should immediately discontinue any talks and tell these clowns to kiss their go-to-h*ll. The Spurs and their fans must not be short changed!!!
Old 06-17-18, 09:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Phily I dont think would be able to get it done with their 10th pick and some change. They would have to give up something to get him. Leonard is a far better player then simmons and would make them probably better then boston.

I think suns may be our best chance but Leonard may no be willing to go there and so that may drop their price. They would be most interested in getting a big time player to go with the team they have built.

Lakers would be the other team I could see going for this but they might not try as hard unless they know Lehype is coming.
Old 06-18-18, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ingram & Kuzma under the tutelage of the Spurs coaching would be great. I believe they were going to draft Kuzma if the Lakers hadn't drafted him with one of the two picks they had before the Spurs. I would take Lopez over Deng if that was obj the table, plus their picks. Maybe Thomas for a one year rental if he'd agree. Cause you know he and LeBron won't play on the same team.

Like Ball...LeBron doesn't want either of those guys. Getting Randle would me moving Aldridge to the 5 which he's not too particular about. But I might take Kuzma, Ingram, Lopez plus the pick and Deng if they take Leonard and Gasol. Move Patty and rent Thomas on 1+1 with a player option for the 2nd.

Forgot about Kentavious Caldwell-Pope? And we're talking 6'9" & 6'10" for Kuzma and Ingram...which I believe can play the two guard. That's some size & length the Spurs have never had. Plus Murray and Aldridge would be huge. Just need a rim protector who goes and gets boards.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 06-18-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-18-18, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I would not do any deals with Boston that does not include Tatum, Rozier and their 2019 #1's at minimum. I wouldn't go near Brown or Irving, you can find a Brown and can't trust Irving to stay or his health issues.

Living here in Socal, I believe the best the Spurs can do if they gotta move Kawhi is to trade with one of the LA teams preferably LAL, because having seen enough of Ingram and Kuzma you'd be getting 2 quality players that can be future allstars for sure and building blocks, plus you would have time to develop and stay competitive in the foreseeable future and it frees up cap space to add more veterans over the next 2yrs. Not sure if those 2 plus multiple LAL draft picks gets the money side of things done, not taking Deng however to make things work, if they've gotta add more players on their end then that's the price no matter what. you can't be concerned with building LAL super team, your focus has to be the long game if your force to give up a talent like Kawhi.

The Clippers and Philly should only be option 3 on this list if the above fails and you have identified someone in this years draft worthy of going up to get I'm not sure picks 10, 12, 13, & 18 gets u in the top six or if that's not too steep a price to pay having just lost Kawhi.

Now if Phx is willing to part with #1 and Jackson or Sacramento is willing to part #2 and Fox regardless whatever else to make the #'s work,I'd do it. That would be a high price to pay for a 1yr and convince to stay rental Kawhi, but again that's the price!

Basically the Spurs gotta get back quality players they can develop and build around, cause losing Kawhi puts them outta the championship race for however long.
Old 06-18-18, 01:54 PM
SR Team Goof

It looks like both of the LA teams are coming together and question Leonard’s health, whether his injury has completely healed, to their satisfaction. With that in mind, it wouldn’t surprise me if their trade packages reflect their concern.
Old 06-18-18, 06:04 PM
SR Team Goof

It looks to me like a leverage ploy to low ball the Spurs and not trade away the only players they have left on their roster after Magic Johnson cleared cap space for a big summer. Well screw you Magic. If a trade is made there has to be a physical taken by the player(s) before the trade is approved. Since the Spurs physician staff had already cleared him to play, any injury not healed will be on Leonard's people.
Old 06-18-18, 10:09 PM
SR Team Goof

Just heard on ESPN and read on a couple sports websites that the Spurs are in no hurry to trade Leonard. They believe the only deadline they have is the February trade date. This delay by the Spurs FO should have an effect on Lebron James decision as to where James goes. That puts a big smile on my face.
Old 06-19-18, 10:00 AM
SpursReport Team Member

You can forget about the Lakers. We're not helping them build back a super-team -- especially not after Jeanne Buss' tampering last week -- and we're not taking back the Deng contract.

A Philadelphia deal would probably be Fultz, Saric, Covington, and #10 for Leonard and Mills (salary offset).

A Boston deal would either be Irving plus a pick or two, or have to involve a third team to make the salaries work.
Old 06-19-18, 02:32 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsucksForever View Post
........A Philadelphia deal would probably be Fultz, Saric, Covington, and #10 for Leonard and Mills (salary offset)..........
I like this deal but don't think it would happen before the draft on 21Jun.

Old 06-19-18, 09:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

not really kawhi related but I player I would like to get who is a FA is Alex Len.
Old 06-20-18, 03:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I like this deal but don't think it would happen before the draft on 21Jun.

Why not? If a draft pick is involved so I would think it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
not really kawhi related but I player I would like to get who is a FA is Alex Len.
He seems to be in the old mold of big and slow. Not sure he really fits how this league plays now and he is so inconsistent.
Old 06-20-18, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Just heard on ESPN and read on a couple sports websites that the Spurs are in no hurry to trade Leonard. They believe the only deadline they have is the February trade date. This delay by the Spurs FO should have an effect on Lebron James decision as to where James goes. That puts a big smile on my face.
I think this is just a ploy because who wants to go into camp and half the season with a player who openly doesn't want to be here or you can't depend on. I think his worth lessens as the season goes along since most teams will just wait till free agency. I could easily see him dealt by tomorrow if the right trade presents itself.
Old 06-20-18, 11:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post

He seems to be in the old mold of big and slow. Not sure he really fits how this league plays now and he is so inconsistent.

He is big but an old big can still be a solid player if he is good enough. I think he is good enough. I think part of his consistency issues is how pheonix uses him. When he get solid playing time he does well. Also I dont know if he is that slow. He does not have the 3 pt range to be a modern big but I wouldn't consider him slow.

Quote:
I think this is just a ploy because who wants to go into camp and half the season with a player who openly doesn't want to be here or you can't depend on. I think his worth lessens as the season goes along since most teams will just wait till free agency. I could easily see him dealt by tomorrow if the right trade presents itself.

I think this is more of ploy to for the same reason you mention. I am still thinking we trade him to LA for ingram Kuzma a pick and filler.

Old 06-20-18, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

this was trade I came up with.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Lakers do it to get Kawhi

Spurs to do it to get best return.

Suns is the one I have the hardest one seeing why they do it. They lose a young player but do get a young PG. I would try to get their 10th pick or maybe future first but think that might be to much.
Old 06-21-18, 01:26 AM
SR Team Goof

That's a nice group of guys. If only................
Old 06-21-18, 01:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm just thinking Kawhi won't give us any chance of scoring a decent return unless it's the Lakers. They could wait till the trade deadline and hamper the Lakers plans. In hoping without Kawhi...LeBron or George won't come or they do come and screw up their cap for next year. But the Spurs probably get nothing decent in return cause it'll be either a team trying to win a title with him for half a season, or someone like Boston or Philly trying to talk him into staying. Sure as heck is going to be interesting in the next few weeks.

What if this was all a ploy to get his $219? I think I'll still be pissed at him and the way this way handled. Making this GREAT franchise look bad!!
Old 06-29-18, 04:20 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
I want Ingram, Kuzma and either Randle or Hart, plus their 1st!
The Spurs have no leverage because everyone knows KL is gone one way or another. First of all if KL doesn't agree to extend with the team he goes to that team isn't going to give up a lot so he can become a FA and sign with an LA team. If that's the case price comes down and that means the Spurs won't be getting full value from anyone. Realistically they can expect one great prospect like Ingram, a second level prospect like Hart and a pick. If they don't want that then they probably will get less from another team that KL won't commit to, or they keep KL for a year and get nothing. Unless Spurs think they can convince KL to stay they will hurt the franchise by not taking the best deal available which will likely come from the Lakers.

Quote:
this was trade I came up with.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Lakers do it to get Kawhi

Spurs to do it to get best return.

Suns is the one I have the hardest one seeing why they do it. They lose a young player but do get a young PG. I would try to get their 10th pick or maybe future first but think that might be to much.
There's just no way in the world Lakers give up Ingram, Ball and Kuzma for KL. Those are three all star caliber prospects for a guy that will sign with you in a year for nothing. If the stars align and Lakers can find a way to get Lebron, PG and KL then you could see two of those three going somewhere in a KL deal but otherwise the Lakers won't completely give away the future for 33 year old Lebron and KL.

Last edited by maldoror; 06-29-18 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror View Post
The Spurs have no leverage because everyone knows KL is gone one way or another. First of all if KL doesn't agree to extend with the team he goes to that team isn't going to give up a lot so he can become a FA and sign with an LA team. If that's the case price comes down and that means the Spurs won't be getting full value from anyone. Realistically they can expect one great prospect like Ingram, a second level prospect like Hart and a pick. If they don't want that then they probably will get less from another team that KL won't commit to, or they keep KL for a year and get nothing. Unless Spurs think they can convince KL to stay they will hurt the franchise by not taking the best deal available which will likely come from the Lakers.

There's just no way in the world Lakers give up Ingram, Ball and Kuzma for KL. Those are three all star caliber prospects for a guy that will sign with you in a year for nothing. If the stars align and Lakers can find a way to get Lebron, PG and KL then you could see two of those three going somewhere in a KL deal but otherwise the Lakers won't completely give away the future for 33 year old Lebron and KL.
As I said in one of my other posts, I strongly disagree. The Lakers know that Lebron will only come to the Lakers IF they have another reliable, bonafide star - Paul George is not that. For as long as they have been cellar dwellers, they know they need that to change big time for their fan base and rep. Magic will look like an utter failure that they couldn't turn this around like Boston has. Their one guaranteed way they can get showtime back is by getting Lebron.

Yes, their window having leverage is a very small one, but they have SERIOUS leverage over the Lakers at the moment. So Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, and a first is absolutely doable in a trade that they will most likely get Kawhi (and maybe whoever.. i.e. Forbes) and Lebron following as a free agent. They can't screw this up or... heads will roll. Spurs are absolutely playing this right... now they have to hurry and execute now or very early stages of free agency.

Check the link below - need I say anymore, again, this is a no brainer for Magic to get the trade done now!

https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/29/los...agency-rumors/

Last edited by montgod; 06-29-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 01:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The lakers are furiously trying to acquire a higher 1st round draft pick from the Nuggets to add to the godfather deal they are preparing for Kawhi.

PATFO has masterfully created a position of strength to bargain from.
Old 06-29-18, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
The lakers are furiously trying to acquire a higher 1st round draft pick from the Nuggets to add to the godfather deal they are preparing for Kawhi.

PATFO has masterfully created a position of strength to bargain from.
Never would have happened without Lebron wanting not to be the only one committing to LA.
Old 06-29-18, 01:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 View Post
Never would have happened without Lebron wanting not to be the only one committing to LA.
Yea, maybe it was the Spurs who leaked Kawhi talking to Lebron to put pressure on the Lakers.
Old 06-29-18, 02:10 PM
SR Team Goof

The problem that I have now is since James and PG13 have both opted out for free agency, the Lakers are probably pretty much satisfied they're going to get 2/3s of their supermax stars and could wait til next summer to get Leonard for nothing. And since Philly and Boston don't want to give up valuable assets for Leonard, me thinks the leverage the Spurs once had a few days ago is slowly diminishing.
Old 06-29-18, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
The problem that I have now is since James and PG13 have both opted out for free agency, the Lakers are probably pretty much satisfied they're going to get 2/3s of their supermax stars and could wait til next summer to get Leonard for nothing. And since Philly and Boston don't want to give up valuable assets for Leonard, me thinks the leverage the Spurs once had a few days ago is slowly diminishing.
I don't agree. Lebron wouldn't be happy with just PG. And knowing him, he will only sign a one year deal where he knows he can go to the finals again next year so expect the Lakers to keep pushing cause they know what the difference is between Kawhi and PG. PG won't get Lebron to the finals and he knows his time is dwindling to catch the 'greatest' of all time or get closer with more rings. So he would stay in the East if only PG/no Kawhi would sign with Lakers imo.
Old 06-29-18, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
As I said in one of my other posts, I strongly disagree. The Lakers know that Lebron will only come to the Lakers IF they have another reliable, bonafide star - Paul George is not that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 View Post
Sounds like things have changed. 8 hrs ago...

LeBron James could sign with Lakers before roster overhaul, sources tell SN

LeBron James could sign with Lakers before roster overhaul, sources tell SN | NBA | Sporting News
Old 06-29-18, 10:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

When he signed with Cleveland they already had another Allstar and a young star who was traded. He signed more because He believe in Kyrie. In LA he would be putting a lot of Faith in Ingram who has not made an all star team yet. Lebron is also older and would be playing in a worse conference. Lebron in later years has not signed his contract until people he wanted to signed.

As far as trade goes I am also hopeing we can give them mills back. This would hurt their cap and probably allow them to get Lebron and not george.

I also dont get how people keep saying that Kawhi could just sign with LA next off season. Yes he will be a FA but if the Lakers got Lebron and George they would not have cap room. So either Kaehi has to take a bigger paycut or they would not be able to sign him.
Old 06-30-18, 12:50 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
.........I also dont get how people keep saying that Kawhi could just sign with LA next off season. Yes he will be a FA but if the Lakers got Lebron and George they would not have cap room. So either Kaehi has to take a bigger paycut or they would not be able to sign him.

Funny thing is, I always read that Leonard's camp keeps saying money is not the object, just get out of SA.