News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-18, 04:39 PM
SR Team Goof

You have the 1st pick in the NBA Draft -- who do you take??

Ok, you’re part of the Spurs front office for a day (June 21st, 2018) and the Spurs happen to have the 1st pick in the NBA draft. When you’re in the Spurs ‘war room’, of all the players to choose from, what player do you recommend to both Pop and RC and to Spurs’ ownership to take with that pick??
Old 05-19-18, 05:04 PM
SR Team Goof

DeAndre Ayton or Luka Doncic.

DeAndre Ayton – I’d take Ayton because he looks to be NBA ready. I’ve seen him play a couple times on cable and I think he’s awesome and he’s still learning. If Gasol stays another year, both he and Aldridge could take Ayton under their wings and school him on all aspects of the ‘big’ game. Another David Robinson or Tim Duncan in the making.

Luka Doncic – I’d take Doncic because at 6’8” he plays and passes much like Ginobili and could be the right backfill for a soon departing Ginobili, should he decide to retire. Besides, someone asked Davis Bertans his opinion on Doncic, since he had played against him, and Bertans said he’s the real deal. That and the footage I’ve seen of him has got me convinced. He's only 19 years old and he's ready to go.
Old 05-20-18, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Who do you think best fits the Spurs needs that will maybe be available at 18? A starter, bench guy, G League? Or can he plug right in if the roster is turned over of somewhat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-18, 06:36 PM
SR Team Goof

At #18, I like Dzana Musa (Bosnia), Robert Williams (A&M) or Troy Brown (Oregon) and whoever is chosen will be a bench player.
Old 05-21-18, 03:04 AM
SR Team Goof

Does anybody think the Spurs would attempt to move up in the draft to go after either Ayton or Doncic?? Just pre-draft gossip.
Old 05-22-18, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hmmm

After reading this article, the timeline is a bit fuzzy: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ermax-contract

June 21st is draft day. Hopefully, the Spurs try to have this discussion before then. Although I would rather have Kawhi over anyone in the draft, there are several trade options open to them and one of them being the Suns who could possibly fork over the #1 pick or players to get him.

In terms of prospects, I just don't feel that Doncic is athletic enough to be a #1 overall pick. He seems like a poor mans Ben Simmons in being 6'8, able to handle the ball and being a good passer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-18, 01:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
After reading this article, the timeline is a bit fuzzy: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ermax-contract

June 21st is draft day. Hopefully, the Spurs try to have this discussion before then. Although I would rather have Kawhi over anyone in the draft, there are several trade options open to them and one of them being the Suns who could possibly fork over the #1 pick or players to get him.

In terms of prospects, I just don't feel that Doncic is athletic enough to be a #1 overall pick. He seems like a poor mans Ben Simmons in being 6'8, able to handle the ball and being a good passer.
Booker, Chriss and the #1 pick...Kawhi and 18th. Maybe future first from Phoenix. But not happening...Kawhi IS going to take that $219, of offered. But I think he's going to want some say in future signings...just a guess. Then he'd have to open his mouth and help recruit. Who on their right mind turns down that kind of money.

Sign the freaking contract and then in a year or so and you want to be traded...so be it, at least the Spurs can get back equal trade value for him. But if I'm Kawhi and I look at this team and how it's constructed compared to the other top teams with multiple stars or borderline stars...I'd want some of what they got too. Because if you weren't a SPURS fan...You couldn't name 5 guys on the bench not named Manu or Parker.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 05-22-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 01:45 PM
SR Team Goof

You know, if the Spurs think that much of a guy to offer and possibly sign him to the supermax salary, it would behoove them to listen to what he has to say regarding future teammates, especially since he must play with them. On the same token, Leonard must step up, peel that timid demeanor of his and not be afraid to speak his mind.
Old 05-22-18, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

+1....I was thinking of what just happened to Blake Griffin. Sign a big deal and then get dealt.
Old 05-23-18, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Booker, Chriss and the #1 pick...Kawhi and 18th. Maybe future first from Phoenix. But not happening...Kawhi IS going to take that $219, of offered. But I think he's going to want some say in future signings...just a guess. Then he'd have to open his mouth and help recruit. Who on their right mind turns down that kind of money.

Sign the freaking contract and then in a year or so and you want to be traded...so be it, at least the Spurs can get back equal trade value for him. But if I'm Kawhi and I look at this team and how it's constructed compared to the other top teams with multiple stars or borderline stars...I'd want some of what they got too. Because if you weren't a SPURS fan...You couldn't name 5 guys on the bench not named Manu or Parker.
I don't see the Suns giving up that much especially if he isn't signed.

I still feel like there is a chance he doesn't sign and pushes to be traded and then get his money first. Whoever is in his ear is telling him there are more $$$$ elsewhere with endorsements and recognition. He already has a ring. He is trying to get his and more. Hopefully that isn't the case though I know I wouldn't want to work in a hostile work environment if I knew I could get the same money elsewhere after getting traded.

I will say the Spurs might have to resign themselves to not persue Tony Parker and possibly Manu (hopefully he retires if that's the case) if Kawhi decides to return. I think that meeting and public comments made by teammates really hurt the locker room.
Old 05-23-18, 01:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
You know, if the Spurs think that much of a guy to offer and possibly sign him to the supermax salary, it would behoove them to listen to what he has to say regarding future teammates, especially since he must play with them. On the same token, Leonard must step up, peel that timid demeanor of his and not be afraid to speak his mind.
Even though this happened last year, it would have to be a very vocal Kawhi request cause it can hurt your team more than help for future free agency visits. I don't see many folks wanting to sign w/Clippers now after they did that. I could be wrong though.