News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-11-18, 11:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Best case scenario...

What available money do the Spurs have? Tony walk during free agency to get more money somewhere else like Manu had a chance to. Many retire. Green and Gay opt out. Don't resign Anderson. Unload Mills and or Gasol? Who do they keep, who goes? Cause it's time for refresher with this team. Especially if they can convince Kawhi to sign...if he wants to. Too many tonka toy parts on that team.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-18, 09:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think trying to retain gay is kind of a big deal. He is one of the few players from this team who can create and score and i thought his defense was better than advertised this year. If we keep kawhi, im thinking the roster will still change a decent amount...
Murray, parker,
Free agent, white,
Kawhi, gay
Free agent, bertans
Aldridge, gasol,
Fill in the rest with draft, international or low priced FA.
For the two starting FA spots I would not mind to see tyreke evans and Rodney Hood. They may price themselves out of our reach. That would give us Murray, evans, kawhi, gay or hood and aldridge with either gay or hood leading the bench...
Regardless, i think its safe to say there will be a lot of change this year
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-18, 12:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hood would be nice and I've always liked Evans. Hood hurt his stock when he declined to come in during garbage time. But he can easily step into Green's starting spot at the 2. Better ball handler, possibly a good defender cause of his length and the fact that he's Manu handed is just a plus. And he'll probably come cheap. Evans is a perfect combo guy...SG with point guard skills to match up against bigger line ups. Like Livingston of the Warriors. I think it's time to move on from the old heads and bring some young energy in...with length.
Old 05-12-18, 04:38 PM
SR Team Goof

I like Evans and Hood as well. However, Hood is a restricted FA (RFA) while Evans is the unrestricted FA (UFA). Hood will be looking for a payday and Cleveland can match anything we would throw at him. I donít much like dealing with RFAs because of the matching option by the home team. Our free agents are Bertans (RFA), Forbes (RFA), Anderson (RFA) and Parker ((UFA). TP has been saying he wants to stick around to play 20 years and it doesnít necessarily have to be with the Spurs. If we resign him, he has to take a drastic pay cut Ďcause we canít pay him anywhere near what he got this year (approx. $16 mil). If we resign Leonard, it will probably be at or near the supermax level (I would contest the full supermax salary since he only played 9 games this year and we donít know the extent of his ability to play effectively post quad injury). If we can get good return with a Green trade, we would need to look for a good cheap defensive player coming back, otherwise, we eat Greenís salary. Manu I see coming back. And if we can retain Anderson, Forbes and Bertans without breaking the bank, good. I see Gay coming back ready to play. So, this is what I see so far on my roster:

Aldridge
Anderson (RFA) ??
Bertans (RFA) ??
Forbes (RFA) ??
Gasol
Gay
Ginobili
Green ???
Leonard
Mills
Murray
Parker (UFA) ???
White

The only players available to us who may be free agents that I would be remotely interested in are: Corey Brewer (UFA), Ersan Ilyasova (UFA), Will Barton (UFA), Avery Bradley (UFA).
Old 05-12-18, 08:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I like Evans and Hood as well. However, Hood is a restricted FA (RFA) while Evans is the unrestricted FA (UFA). Hood will be looking for a payday and Cleveland can match anything we would throw at him. I donít much like dealing with RFAs because of the matching option by the home team. Our free agents are Bertans (RFA), Forbes (RFA), Anderson (RFA) and Parker ((UFA). TP has been saying he wants to stick around to play 20 years and it doesnít necessarily have to be with the Spurs. If we resign him, he has to take a drastic pay cut Ďcause we canít pay him anywhere near what he got this year (approx. $16 mil). If we resign Leonard, it will probably be at or near the supermax level (I would contest the full supermax salary since he only played 9 games this year and we donít know the extent of his ability to play effectively post quad injury). If we can get good return with a Green trade, we would need to look for a good cheap defensive player coming back, otherwise, we eat Greenís salary. Manu I see coming back. And if we can retain Anderson, Forbes and Bertans without breaking the bank, good. I see Gay coming back ready to play. So, this is what I see so far on my roster:

Aldridge
Anderson (RFA) ??
Bertans (RFA) ??
Forbes (RFA) ??
Gasol
Gay
Ginobili
Green ???
Leonard
Mills
Murray
Parker (UFA) ???
White

The only players available to us who may be free agents that I would be remotely interested in are: Corey Brewer (UFA), Ersan Ilyasova (UFA), Will Barton (UFA), Avery Bradley (UFA).
I'd take any of those guys except Brewer. Kyle is terrible and Mills isn't close behind, considering his contract. There needs to be some sort of facelift this summer. I'd keep Gay and I think Green will be looking for a big payday. If J.J. doesn't resign with Philly, that might be a spot for him. Coach Brown did try and steal Manu....and drive his price up a couple years ago.

Anderson's jumper is atrocious. Mills is too short and a defensive liability. The Jofferey experiment didn't work. Forbes can shot but like Mills...too short. White shoots better that Murray but Pop is set on him being the starter. He needs a jumper and quick.

That Gasol and Mills contact may be the worse thing the Spurs have done in years. Going to be hard to pawn those contracts off after their performance last season. I'd take Lopez and Deng for Gasol and whoever. Maybe Kobe would like to see Pau retire there? Plus the Lakers want Deng gone with a passion!
Old 05-13-18, 01:36 AM
SR Team Goof

If I had to choose between Gasol and Deng, Pau would be staying in SA. Deng's contract is worse that Gasol's, getting $18 mil a season through 2019-2020 while Pau will be getting $16 mil, which is nothing that should be bragged about.
Old 05-13-18, 11:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
If I had to choose between Gasol and Deng, Pau would be staying in SA. Deng's contract is worse that Gasol's, getting $18 mil a season through 2019-2020 while Pau will be getting $16 mil, which is nothing that should be bragged about.
I know...but that's the trade off I'd take to get Lopez. I also think Deng would be better that Anderson...other than that ridiculous contract. I don't think Walton utilizes Deng's ability like Pop would. He'd definitely spend a lot of time at the 4.
Old 05-13-18, 03:18 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
I know...but that's the trade off I'd take to get Lopez. I also think Deng would be better that Anderson...other than that ridiculous contract. I don't think Walton utilizes Deng's ability like Pop would. He'd definitely spend a lot of time at the 4.
Lopez will be an UFA this summer coming off a $22.6 salary for this last season. Heíd have to come in at a much lower salary or youíd really have to find Gasol a new home or a sign/trade with the Lakers. The one big Iíve been intrigued with since heís been in the NBA is, unfortunately, also with the Lakers and thatís Julius Randle. At 6í9Ē, he played an average of 26 MPG, 72% FT, 56% FGP with a 16 PPG and 8 RPG. To me, he seems to always be where the ball is. He hits the boards well, can handle the ball well, is an enforcer, has a shot Iím sure Chip could improve upon, Randle plays a good defense, which can also be improved upon. At 23, heís a RFA this summer, which is the type FA I donít like to deal with simply because the home team could possibly equal the proposed deal with the player and we could have wasted our time with. However, if we were to wine and dine Randle and offer him a nice (reasonable) long term deal, possibly with a big signing bonus and incentive benefits, the Lakers would have to consider whether they really want Randle in their plans or will he disrupt the Lakers hopes of landing 2 supermax players this summer. What the hell, weíd be out a little wine, dinner and cab/limousine fare to and from the airport. But, if the Lakers were to equal the deal, we would know that Magic Johnson would be a little pissed off and would really have to crunch his numbers a little more. Oh well, at least thatís my pike dream, for now.

Old 05-13-18, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

lol Rodney Hood refuses to come off the bench during garbage time. How well is that going to go in San Antonio if Popovic still coach. LOL I donít think thatís gonna work. He will be in and out of the lineup and heís not gonna like it clearly
Old 05-13-18, 07:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I've liked Julius since Michigan State. I think he's in the mold of a Paul Milsap, Thaddeus Young, Jabari Parker type dude. With the activity and grit to be a little like Draymond Green. I think he can play the 4 and the 3, but with all this money circulating around and teams willing to swoop in and steal a guy like Randel...would make it pretty hard to pull him away the Lakers or any other team with big money. Only way you get him is in a package that comes with trading Kawhi.
Old 05-13-18, 08:28 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
I've liked Julius since Michigan State......
MrJ -- you might be thinking of another player or just got your schools mixed up. The Randle I'm speaking of left Univ of Kentucky early for the NBA and the LA Lakers. But I agree with you to some degree, we would probably get him only with a sign/trade and Kawhi being in the package as well. And by package, I mean LA including someone along the lines of Ingram, Caldwell-Pope, Kuzma and some draft picks as well. But we ain't there...........yet.
Old 05-14-18, 07:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
MrJ -- you might be thinking of another player or just got your schools mixed up. The Randle I'm speaking of left Univ of Kentucky early for the NBA and the LA Lakers. But I agree with you to some degree, we would probably get him only with a sign/trade and Kawhi being in the package as well. And by package, I mean LA including someone along the lines of Ingram, Caldwell-Pope, Kuzma and some draft picks as well. But we ain't there...........yet.
For heaven's sake I hope we don't get there. Only plus out of that would be a lot of youth, athleticism and would save the super max money for another time. Thanks, I forgot he was a Kentucky guy.
Old 05-14-18, 09:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I sure am glad none of you work in the Spurs front office.
Old 05-14-18, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

Why not Kawhi and Green for Thompson and Green?
Old 05-14-18, 11:37 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
And here I am wondering why I wasn't getting a check in the mail from the Spurs. Gads!