News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-22-18, 11:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Biggest question?

Is Kawhi a..."MAN OF HIS WORD?" I woke up this morning thinking...he's on record saying he wants to be here. That has got to be the strongest statement that we've heard directly from the horses mouth. That might be the one solace I'm holding on to & hoping that's the key phrase. Maybe Pop finally gives his star the privilege of voicing his opinion on roster moves?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-18, 02:21 PM
SR Team Goof

I think there might be some other ‘big questions’ out there as well. First, personally I think Pop will announce that he is stepping down from the Spurs. After losing his wife of 40 or more years would not only be devastating to Pop but would leave a very big void in his life. She was his #1 critic as far as game analysis and would support the Spurs in many local events in San Antonio. Pop has accomplished what many other coaches wish they could and there’s no need for Pop to carry the torch any further. He may be available for advisor or consultant duties, but I see him retiring to Connecticut and his wine collection.

My second ‘big question’ is what the Lakers or their main supporters are doing tampering with Kawhi in the media. If they haven’t spoken to him personally, they are certainly sending him advice through the media to force a trade to the Lakers. If Leonard does force a trade to the Lakers, the Lakers probably won’t agree to any quality players the Spurs might be interested in, i.e., Ingram, Ball, Randle, Kuzma (I wouldn’t want Ball anyway) but would probably put up players like Lopez, Thomas, Deng, Frye (if they aren’t FAs) just to push salary. If the Spurs and Lakers can’t agree to a trade and Leonard keeps insisting a trade to the Lakers, I’d force Leonard to sit out this next season to call his bluff, much like what the Knicks did to Stephen Marbury over 10 years ago. Of course, we’d have to eat his salary, but Leonard is a gym rat and this past year has got to have eaten at him not being able to play and another year sitting out would hopefully force a better trade, either to the Lakers (if they really want him) or to another preferred team, if that team hasn't used up all their salary.

Hopefully, the Spurs can come to an agreement with Leonard and move forward.

IMHO.
Old 04-22-18, 06:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I was thinking about his wife's untimely passing buy didn't want to bring that up...whew, glad you did. I read where Pop doesn't like to trade with conference rivals...especially the Lakers who have oodles of resources with their market. So I'm hoping he can pull a LaMarcus out of his rear again & rear Leonard back in. If they want to keep him...I think they'll have to give him the LeBron treatment when it comes to everything, cause this is his franchise, his team. But I also think Leonard needs to open way up and be more vocal in every aspects of his existence.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-18, 07:58 PM
SR Team Goof

And along with all this suspense, we get notifications that various NBA teams are looking for coaches and, of course, they all come to the Spurs for help: both Ime Udoka and Ettore Messina interviewing for the Charlotte head slot and James Borrego with the NY Knicks. Don't know if any of them have a shot though.
Old 04-22-18, 08:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think all those hinge on Pop's decision. But I'm guessing he's going to tell himself that his wife wouldn't want him to quit on his players because she's gone. I think he'll coach out his current contract cause that's at least what Erin would want him to do.
Old 04-23-18, 10:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Pop isn't resigning from the Spurs . . . . My God Man . . . you people and your speculations.

I think the question about Kawhi is a good one. Either he is a liar, or this is all a bunch of BS blown up by the media. I am choosing the latter until I see evidence to the contrary
Old 04-23-18, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's got to be struggling...40 years of unconditional love! May the Big Man above be with him and his family!!
Old 04-26-18, 01:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

where is Timmy D, tiMVP during all this. the kawhi saga, the erin popovich. he has stayed out of the media like a charm. im most certain 50% of people who watch nba dont know who TD21 is lol. well maybe not, but i give him props on how well he's stayed out of the media.
Old 04-26-18, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Duncan never liked the media. His biggest things were his divorce and his mismanaged money lawsuit. Other than him buying diapers at the local CVS and his new hot girlfriend.
Old 04-26-18, 08:40 PM
SR Team Goof

TD has a smart phone and has surely reached out to both Leonard and Pop in some fashion, there's no doubt in my feeble mind.
Old 04-28-18, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

IF...I mean if Kawhi what's some things changed and if it's about the roster...Is he willing to take $200 million or less to bring in or help construct the roster to his liking. Possibly bringing in another good piece or two? Of course he's not obligated to take a cut, but the Spurs would have to trade some of those trash contracts and take nothing back. Who wants Mills...Gasol? Probably nobody.
Old 04-28-18, 02:08 PM
SR Team Goof

Who's to know whether Leonard will take a cut or not, as I understand it, he ain't talkin' to anybody. Maybe we should ask a few NY reporters. (That was low but I had to go for it).
Old 04-29-18, 09:45 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

IMHO, Leonard doesn't need to take a pay cut.

If he were healthy all season we would be the team to beat. Our biggest weakness was not being able to score and Kawhi changes all that.

Without Kawhi a bunch of our players look really bad. With him, they all fit together like a glove.

We also still have room in our payroll if TP takes the same 2.5 million over 3 years that we gave Manu (even though he doesn't deserve it as much as Manu does). Maybe Green and Gay opt out and then we have even more room.

Even with the Mills and Gasol contracts, and signing Kawhi to a supermax, we are in good shape.

The biggest question is what is SloMo worth.
Old 04-30-18, 12:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I agree with your assessment Choppsboy
Old 04-30-18, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

SloMo is worth a bowl of slow cooked stew. Boris Diaw 2.0 my @$$! BoBo eats his breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don't know if Chip has helped him with his shot...Cause it's atrocious!
Old 05-11-18, 08:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Kawhi looked good enough to walk through a crowded Dodgers crowd...but not good enough to sit with his teammates during the playoffs! Just not another good look for him.
Old 05-11-18, 08:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Is he a Dodger fan...or planning his escape? LMAO...media is killing it with this story.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 05-11-18 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 04:38 PM
SR Team Goof

O'Connor: Spurs Would Need 'Grand-Slam Offer' To Move Kawhi Leonard
May 17th, 2018 at 10:01am CST by Luke Adams

Within a larger article on LeBron James‘ free agency, Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer touches on the Kawhi Leonard situation in San Antonio. O’Connor says he has heard from multiple NBA executives that if the Spurs decide to make Leonard available, they wouldn’t trade him for anything less than a “grand-slam offer.”

Link to article: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/san-antonio-spurs
Old 05-17-18, 05:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
O'Connor: Spurs Would Need 'Grand-Slam Offer' To Move Kawhi Leonard
May 17th, 2018 at 10:01am CST by Luke Adams

Within a larger article on LeBron James‘ free agency, Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer touches on the Kawhi Leonard situation in San Antonio. O’Connor says he has heard from multiple NBA executives that if the Spurs decide to make Leonard available, they wouldn’t trade him for anything less than a “grand-slam offer.”

Link to article: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/san-antonio-spurs
As they should. But it won't work if he didn't commit to a long term contract with the team...PHI,LA, or possibly Boston. But Pop probably isn't dealing with the Lakers. They could just wait til next year and sign him out right. Philly has a pick, Fultz, Saric and possibly Covington or Bayless. Boston would only probably offer Kyrie if they rather pay Kawhi and save a little bit of money with Rozier.

Going to hard to pry Brown or Tatum away from Boston if the eliminate Cleveland. New York has squat to return unless it's Kristap, Kanter, Lee or their young point guard. All hypothetical though. Then you have the Clippers...what do the have, Harris, Bradley, Beverley, Jordan or Gallo? But Kawhi hopefully has $219 million reasons to stay....plus free pizza and beer for life! But I'm guessing nothing gets started till the finals are over....obviously. Maybe the Spurs get busy draft night?

But I'm over the rumors now...I'll just sit back and be satisfied what the team ends up with.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 05-21-18 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 05:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
But I'm over the rumors now...I'll just sit back and be satisfied what the team ends up with.
+1
Old 05-17-18, 06:03 PM
SR Team Goof

Personally, I think something has to happen between now and 21 June (NBA Draft). But like MrJ, the media and their rumors are really killing interest in the playoffs and off-season, simply because Leonard and the Spurs have really said squat to cause any real truths.

So, to keep my mind right, I submit my point of view, hypothetical if you will. If the Spurs were put into a position where Leonard requests a trade to another team, it would be best to accomplish this before the NBA Draft on 21Jun rather than after, particularly if there are draft picks involved (IMHO). I’m sure the NBA team FOs around the league know how best to orchestra that but I’m just saying from my point of view. I’d like to keep and sign Leonard long term as well, but if like I said, if Leonard requests a trade, the main suitors so far that I’ve read or heard about are Boston, LA Lakers, LA Clippers, NY Knicks and Phila Sixers. If we were to trade Leonard to any of these teams, this is what I’d want from these teams. (To make a trade possible, we may have to throw in another Spurs player to equal it out or sweeten the deal (not too sweet) but I’m not doing that here).

Boston………. I wouldn’t want to trade with Boston because all they have in this draft is the #27 pick and after what the Celtics have shown so far in the playoffs, I agree with you, MrJ, they won’t give up Brown or Tatum, Smart is a RFA and I don’t Irving.

LA Lakers………. I would want their 1st round draft picks for the next three years (2019, 2020, 2021) and either Ingram or Kuzma.

LA Clippers………. I would want both of their 1st round draft picks for this year (#12, 13), their 1st round draft pick for next year (2019) and Tobias Harris

NY Knicks………. I would want their 1st round draft pick (#9) and the combination of Porzingis plus either Ntilikina or Kanter

Phila Sixers………. I would want their 1st round draft pick (#10), their 2nd round pick (#38) and the combination of Covinton plus either Fultz or Saric

**NOTE: I went after additional draft picks from LAL and LAC only because there are in the West (I don’t know what kind of logic that reflects – so what).
Old 05-17-18, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Personally, I think something has to happen between now and 21 June (NBA Draft). But like MrJ, the media and their rumors are really killing interest in the playoffs and off-season, simply because Leonard and the Spurs have really said squat to cause any real truths.

So, to keep my mind right, I submit my point of view, hypothetical if you will. If the Spurs were put into a position where Leonard requests a trade to another team, it would be best to accomplish this before the NBA Draft on 21Jun rather than after, particularly if there are draft picks involved (IMHO). I’m sure the NBA team FOs around the league know how best to orchestra that but I’m just saying from my point of view. I’d like to keep and sign Leonard long term as well, but if like I said, if Leonard requests a trade, the main suitors so far that I’ve read or heard about are Boston, LA Lakers, LA Clippers, NY Knicks and Phila Sixers. If we were to trade Leonard to any of these teams, this is what I’d want from these teams. (To make a trade possible, we may have to throw in another Spurs player to equal it out or sweeten the deal (not too sweet) but I’m not doing that here).

Boston………. I wouldn’t want to trade with Boston because all they have in this draft is the #27 pick and after what the Celtics have shown so far in the playoffs, I agree with you, MrJ, they won’t give up Brown or Tatum, Smart is a RFA and I don’t Irving.

LA Lakers………. I would want their 1st round draft picks for the next three years (2019, 2020, 2021) and either Ingram or Kuzma.

LA Clippers………. I would want both of their 1st round draft picks for this year (#12, 13), their 1st round draft pick for next year (2019) and Tobias Harris

NY Knicks………. I would want their 1st round draft pick (#9) and the combination of Porzingis plus either Ntilikina or Kanter

Phila Sixers………. I would want their 1st round draft pick (#10), their 2nd round pick (#38) and the combination of Covinton plus either Fultz or Saric

**NOTE: I went after additional draft picks from LAL and LAC only because there are in the West (I don’t know what kind of logic that reflects – so what).
Looks like we're on the same page. It's a toss up between Philly and NY...good to possibly real good players. KP is by far the best player on that list. Both those picks could fetch a nice player or be used in a trade package to move someone like Patty or Pau. I don't think anyone is stealing anything from Boston. But I'd take Irving and Morris, the 27th pick. Morris plays LeBron pretty darn good.

Kyrie is top 3-5 point when right, Aldridge reinvented with Morris and some SPURS magic in the draft and they'll be ok. Philly probably has the most intriguing crop of players that the Spurs can just plug right in and start. Fultz could compete for that point guard spot, Covington can slide right in if they don't keep Gay.

Saric could either start with Aldridge playing the positionless 5. Plus that pick would be nice. Kawhi to the East is obviously Pop's preference. I'd want Kuzma, Ingram and Julius from them...just to try and gut that team!!
Old 05-17-18, 11:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I don’t get this lovefest with Brandon Ingram. The guy totally sucks. Kuzma is clearly a much better player. Why do people keep talking about Brandon Ingram. Kuzma is by far the best player on that team (lal)
Old 05-18-18, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

There is no love fest for him, but you can't teach his height and length. I would just want to strip the Lakers of ALL their young assets. Look what Boston has accumulated. Has the Spurs ever had young tradeable assets? If so, I don't remember.
Old 05-18-18, 09:26 AM
SR Team Goof

Not in the Pop era as I recall, unless you want to include Anderson, Forbes, Bertans and Murray? Pop has always loved his roster filled with veterans.
Old 05-18-18, 10:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Leonard and the Spurs have really said squat to cause any real truths. . . . . So, to keep my mind right, I submit my point of view, hypothetical if you will.I’d like to keep and sign Leonard long term. . . . . If we were to trade Leonard to any of these teams, this is what I’d want from these teams.

Phila Sixers………. I would want their 1st round draft pick (#10), their 2nd round pick (#38) and the combination of Covington plus either Fultz or Saric
Good post. I saved the best parts.

Understanding that the best scenario is keeping Kawhi, if we couldn't,

I could go for the Philly idea if we gave up our pick for their #10 pick and got Fultz and Saric.

I could go for the Knicks idea but wouldn't want to include Kanter, and wouldn't give up our 1st round pick.
Old 05-18-18, 11:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Funny thing...I have Kawhi's cousin in my house and he said Kawhi said hood injury feels a lot better. He talked to him a month ago but didn't speak about him or the team. He's my daughter's best friend.
Old 05-21-18, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The way Toronto was talking after the loss to Cleveland they should implode. What about sending Kawhi to Toronto, you see enough pieces to accomplish that? and recently the talk coming out of Minnesota, I wouldn't mind seeing KAT and Butler coming down here in a blockbuster.
Old 05-21-18, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 View Post
The way Toronto was talking after the loss to Cleveland they should implode. What about sending Kawhi to Toronto, you see enough pieces to accomplish that? and recently the talk coming out of Minnesota, I wouldn't mind seeing KAT and Butler coming down here in a blockbuster.
I saw that and was thinking that too. KAT would be absolutely devastating here. Under the tutelage of some Tim Duncan work outs. But the Spurs could probably only get Teague in that combination. Maybe Wiggins, but he's making a crap load of money. But just probably a media driven story. Plus Coach Tibs runs his guys into the ground.

Like he did in Chicago with Rose, Deng and Butler. All had some sort of injuries. I feel he'll do the same with Towns. All Sean Elliott would have to do is allow Towns to wear his jersey #....LMAO!!

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 05-21-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 05:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Funny thing...I have Kawhi's cousin in my house and he said Kawhi said hood injury feels a lot better. He talked to him a month ago but didn't speak about him or the team. He's my daughter's best friend.
so one of kawhis cousin lives in san antonio, and their kids are friends with ur kids. nice connection
Old 05-21-18, 06:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
so one of kawhis cousin lives in san antonio, and their kids are friends with ur kids. nice connection
No...I live in Riverside, CA. He and her have been friends for about 5 years now.
Old 05-21-18, 09:13 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

cool!
Old 05-22-18, 12:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
No...I live in Riverside, CA. He and her have been friends for about 5 years now.
Cool! I grew up in Riverside as well. Small world on the net lol.

Here is hoping he feels good enough to want to come back to Spurs. Otherwise, I would definitely love for some kind of KAT trade to happen. Wow... if you gonna lose a Kawhi, that's a good way to get as close as you can in value if possible.
Old 05-22-18, 02:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
Cool! I grew up in Riverside as well. Small world on the net lol.

Here is hoping he feels good enough to want to come back to Spurs. Otherwise, I would definitely love for some kind of KAT trade to happen. Wow... if you gonna lose a Kawhi, that's a good way to get as close as you can in value if possible.
I tried to get the skinny out of Kawhi's young cousin, but he said they didn't talk about that. I might just ask him to ask Kawhi. They him to tell Kawhi that's his favorite team and he wants him to stay there...LMAO! See if I can use some reverse psychology to get the inside scoop.
Old 05-22-18, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

lol. i like it mr jones.

ughh, crazy summer.
one thing that does bother me tho. a whole year and kawhi still didnt fee good. is he really ever gonna play comfortably. if he stays w the apurs and anytime
tjat same quad bothers him, theres gonna be so much turbulence
Old 05-22-18, 02:50 PM
SR Team Goof

Before he signs the dotted line on anything and with that much money on the line, there has to be some kind of mutual full disclosure on both sides. That's a helluva investment the Spurs are making and if there's any doubt on either side, lay it on the table. Court battles tend to get ugly.
Old 05-23-18, 02:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know. I have mixed feelings. I have been in a hostile work environment and I wouldn't ever go back. I just can't see him wanting to return. He doesn't have to. He can get the same money after being traded from his next team and be closer to home (if it's LA).

It would be easy if it was just a teammate (i.e. Tony Parker) who you could just not re-sign or trade away. But we are talking about him dealing his past with the head coach, teammates (manu and tony - who both could be gone next year), medical staff, and possibly fans... for a little while. He doesn't seem like the type to want to deal with confrontation especially after he already got a ring.

Last edited by montgod; 05-23-18 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

he will prob ask pop to step down as coach as part of his deal to sign the supermax.
and request to bring in his nyc doctors to become the team docs. and his uncle to become GM.
Old 05-24-18, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
he will prob ask pop to step down as coach as part of his deal to sign the supermax.
and request to bring in his nyc doctors to become the team docs. and his uncle to become GM.
Then a trade is in the works if this is true LOL