News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-18, 08:35 AM
SR Team Goof

Kawhi Leonard Expected To Miss Remainder Of Postseason

April 15th 2018 at 6:50pm CST by Mark Suleymanov

Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard is expected to miss the remainder of the postseason with the intent of fully rehabilitating his injured right quadriceps, Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports reports.

We noted earlier today that Leonard has remained in New York to continue his rehab in hopes of returning this season. However, it appears that after months of speculation, Leonard’s 2017/18 season is over and his future in San Antonio becomes the focal point.

The 26-year-old appeared in just nine games this season, averaging 16.2 PPG, 4.7 RPG, and 2.3 APG in 23.3 minutes per contest. Leonard missed the first 27 games of the season, then appeared in nine midseason contests, suffering a partial tear in his left shoulder in early January. He has not played since January 13 as he rehabs his right quadriceps tendinopathy.
Leonard finished third in NBA Most Valuable Player voting last season behind winner Russell Westbrook and runner-up James Harden.

Without Leonard, the Spurs still made the postseason as the seventh seed with a 47-35 record. San Antonio suffered a 113-92 Game 1 defeat to the Warriors on Saturday and will have to battle Golden State without their two-time Defensive Player of the Year.
Conspicuously, Leonard has been largely absent from the Spurs during his rehab. Just today, head coach Gregg Popovich said that Leonard would only return once his group of doctors and associates deem him ready.

“€œYou’€™ll have to ask Kawhi and his group that question…so far they say he’s not ready to go. So we can’€™t do anything until that happens. Then we would have to decide what’s going on from there. But that’€™s the first thing that has to happen.” Popovich said.

It seemed that Leonard’s situation reached a boiling point in late March when a team meeting was held in which his teammates asked him about his status. While the meeting was not tense, according to several reports, Leonard’s teammates left without a clear indication of his situation.

Leonard can hit free agency next summer, where he will have no shortage of suitors. However, given his frustrating season in San Antonio, reports have suggested that teams will inquire about his availability in trades this offseason. Yesterday, the Clippers emerged as a potential trade partner for the Los Angeles native.

While there’s a chance Leonard will never play for the Spurs again, his extensive rehab suggests he wants to be healthy for his next NBA game — whenever and wherever that game takes place.

Link to articles: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/04/...ostseason.html
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-spu...205918775.html
Old 04-16-18, 01:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Do you rehab or come be with your guys for the sweep that's about to occur? He's got all summer to do that. Do you fork over $219 million bucks in hopes that'll smooth things over and risk he'll just demand a trade anyways? He said he wants to be here, but does he? Sure doesn't act like it. Is he too thin skinned...does he want more say in roster acquisitions? More endorsement money...a super team? Obviously he hasn't talked to anyone cause he's too quite or just really doesn't want to be there. If he doesn't show up for the home games...that might be our best sign. What's you all's gut feeling in this weird saga?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-16-18, 02:44 PM
SR Team Goof

It sure would be nice if somebody communicated to us fans as to what is going on. This whole charade has driven me to the decision of: 1) no way in hell do I pay him supermax bucks when the Spurs medical team had already cleared him to play; he has sat out the entire season aside from the few games he did play and still drew full salary, 2) I troll the NBA teams who have or would be interested in a trade scenario, 3) that the Spurs management has a real Page Ranking issue and a trust issue with its fanbase, regardless of whether they know exactly what is going on with Leonard. How does the Spurs management sales group figure on trying to get Spurs fans to renew their partial or full season ticket program when the Spurs management don’t communicate with the financial network that pays the bills. Right now, with the little information that we do know, I’m starting to see Leonard as a malcontent. That’s just the way I see it. There’s an obvious disconnect between Leonard and the team since somebody, I believe it was Gasol, said they haven’t talked to Leonard in weeks. You have Leonard not attending games that would lend support to his teammates. Then you Tony Parker telling reporters that the quad injury he recovered from was far worse than Leonard's. You have Leonard not wanting to go by what the Spurs medical team have found regarding his quad injury and rehab and then you have Leonard stating he wants a second medical opinion, which is surely his right. But that speaks sadly of the reliability of the Spurs medical staff and any future injuries to its players or recruitment of free agents. This whole fiasco is just plain sad and I’ve got to wonder if we’ll ever know what the real deal has been. And I also got to wonder if Leonard jersey sells is taking a dip these days.
Old 04-16-18, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I know no one wants to believe he'll be traded, but I'm a glass half full guy. I've played multiple sports albeit high school...but when you disconnect like I see Leonard is and his quite demeanor, someone maybe pulling his strings...something tells me he's gone. I sure as hell don't want him gone, but I don't want the Spurs to truly dunk into the depths if they sign him and he demands a trade and they get nothing. Life without Kawhi will suck, but life without nothing to build around would be catastrophic. I really hope someone post an article saying that I was totally wrong by the end of the off-season....and boy will I be relieved.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-18, 10:21 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

PG13, Lebron, and Leonard to LAkers next year.

Ball
Kawhi
PG13
Lebron
Kuzma

no positions. just ballin. lol.
Old 04-17-18, 12:09 PM
SR Team Goof

alh1020: This is an article that appeared in the HoopRumors website and has a poll at the end of it. You might be surprised at the results of that poll. Check it out -- the link is at the end of the article below.

Spurs Rumors
Poll: What’s Next For Spurs, Kawhi Leonard?
April 17th, 2018 at 11:00am CST by Luke Adams

Throughout a rocky 2017/18 season, even as rumors of discord between Kawhi Leonard and the Spurs persisted, most reports out of San Antonio have suggested that a long-term union between the two sides remains the most likely outcome. Multiple reporters over the course of the season indicated that the Spurs would likely put a Designated Veteran Extension offer on the table for Leonard during the offseason.

However, that’s no longer a lock. In his latest piece for The San Antonio Express-News, Mike Finger observes that a super-max offer still seemed like a slam dunk as of month or two ago, but he admits it’s not a certainty anymore. In fact, Finger writes, it might be a surprise if the Spurs do extend that offer to Leonard.

Given the Spurs’ history of stability, the Leonard situation this season has been fascinating. It stems from a disagreement between the Spurs’ medical staff and Leonard’s own doctors about the state of his quadriceps injury — the Spurs have cleared the star forward to return, but his doctors haven’t done so, and he still doesn’t feel comfortable enough to play.

As part of his rehab, Leonard is currently in New York, away from the Spurs as they battle the Warriors in the first round of the postseason. Finger suggests the team is fine with Leonard’s absence, but the optics aren’t great, and Gregg Popovich‘s comments after Monday’s Game 2 loss were interpreted by some observers as a subtle dig at his absent star — even though they were ostensibly intended as praise for LaMarcus Aldridge.

“LaMarcus has been a monster all year long,” Popovich said, per Sam Amick of USA Today. “He’s led our team at both ends of the floor. He doesn’t complain about a darn thing out on the court. He just plays through everything. I can’t imagine being more proud of a player as far as playing through adversity and being there for his teammates night after night after night. He’s been fantastic.”

It’s worth noting that Aldridge was in a somewhat similar position to Leonard a year ago, having broached the possibility of a trade out of San Antonio during the 2017 offseason. However, a meeting and a few conversations between Aldridge and Popovich allowed the two sides to work out their issues, with the Spurs’ big man ultimately signing an extension before the season got underway.

As Finger writes, there’s still hope that the Spurs and Leonard could follow a similar path. However, at this point, the situation is “too complicated to work out with one phone call.” Finger speculates that it would probably take a series of conversations – with both sides reiterating their commitment to one another – for the Spurs and Leonard to comfortably move forward.

The Spurs are just two losses away from officially starting their offseason, at which point addressing the Leonard situation will become the franchise’s top priority. It’s not clear how this will play out, but it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if Leonard inks an extension in the offseason — at this point, it also wouldn’t be a total shock if he has played his last game at the Spur.

What do you think? Will the Spurs work things out with Leonard like they did with Aldridge before him? Or will the team decide to move on from its best player a year before he becomes eligible for unrestricted free agency? Vote below in our poll and share your thoughts in the comment section!

Link to article: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/san-antonio-spurs
Old 04-17-18, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

That poll after the article just shows how powerfully destructive the media and their rumor mongering is.

With zero facts or knowledge about what is really going on between Pop and the Spurs, media and a bunch of washed up players have nothing better to do than spread rumors.
Old 04-21-18, 09:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

So Kawhi has control on where he would want to be traded if it came to that even without a no trade clause. Cause all he has to do is notify all teams interested that he'll only sign with one team. And in the process screw the Spurs on any chance of getting anything back of any value. Cause all that team would have to do is wait til 2019? So his hometown Lakers wouldn't have to give up anything...worse case scenario. This is the worst season of all...with Erin passing away and possibly losing your star player with nothing in return!
Old 04-23-18, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
So Kawhi has control on where he would want to be traded if it came to that even without a no trade clause. Cause all he has to do is notify all teams interested that he'll only sign with one team. And in the process screw the Spurs on any chance of getting anything back of any value. Cause all that team would have to do is wait til 2019? So his hometown Lakers wouldn't have to give up anything...worse case scenario. This is the worst season of all...with Erin passing away and possibly losing your star player with nothing in return!
Just be patient and don't trust the media. The truth of all this will come out.
Old 04-23-18, 09:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I wonder what's going through Kawhi's mind now since Pop's wife's passing? Has he contacted him to give his condolences? That would be the ultimate bad sign!
Old 04-26-18, 01:00 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

kawhi seems to have gave no f!cks abt the death. instead his camp has sent out a letter about "Demands" not mention of kawhi sends condolence to pop.