News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-18, 02:10 PM
SR Team Goof

Kawhi Leonard Out Indefinitely

Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard will be sidelined for an “indefinite period of time,” the club announced today (Twitter link). According to the team’s announcement, Leonard is still battling right quadriceps tendinopathy and will focus on rehabbing that injury.

In a statement, Spurs GM R.C. Buford said that Leonard “continues to move forward in his rehabilitation.” Meanwhile, head coach Gregg Popovich tells Jeff McDonald of The San Antonio Express-News that the injury “hasn’t responded the way we wanted it to.”

“He’s given it a shot,” Popovich said of his star player. “He’s frustrated as hell. He wants to play badly. But if we’re going to err, we’re going to do it on the side of health and being wise.”

After sitting out for nearly two months to start the season due to his quad injury, Leonard returned to action on December 12. He has missed several games since then though, never playing with less than two days rest. Even when he has been on the floor, the 26-year-old hasn’t been his usual dominant self — his .468 FG% and .314 3PT% are career lows, albeit in a small sample (nine games).

With Leonard out, Kyle Anderson will continue to see the majority of the minutes at the three for San Antonio. Rudy Gay will also help fortify the Spurs’ forward rotation once he gets healthy, while Danny Green and Manu Ginobili could also play small forward in certain lineups. However, according to McDonald, Gay is still a couple weeks away from returning and Ginobili is expected to miss the Spurs’ next two games with a thigh contusion.

Link to article: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/01/...efinitely.html
Old 01-17-18, 02:14 PM
SR Team Goof

Going into the second half of the season and approaching the home stretch toward the playoffs with a cast of walking wounded is not something I look forward to. But we've done it most of the 1st half season, we'll just have to continue on and everybody will have to step up their game. What a belly drop.
Old 01-17-18, 11:07 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

only question now is... is kawhi more similar to grant hill or penny hardaway?

i think hill? thoughts

sucks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-18-18, 09:16 AM
SR Team Goof

Here's a Tom Orsborn tweet about a question posed to Alridge at the ASG on Kawhi that I thought was a kind of strange response:

Tom Orsborn: Asked LA if he’s confident Kawhi will be back after the break: “Uh, I don’t know. I don’t have anything to say.”
15 hours ago – via Twitter tom_orsborn
Old 02-18-18, 08:54 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

he doesn’t want him to come back and take his shots.
Alldredge will become a useless role player again if he comes back healthy. So he probably doesn’t care
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-18, 06:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Pop not would be surprised if Kawhi comes back this year.
Old 02-21-18, 06:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
Pop not would be surprised if Kawhi comes back this year.
Correction: Story is Pop WOULD be surprised if Kawhi returns this year.
Old 02-21-18, 07:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

You are correct dont know why I got the not in there.
Old 02-21-18, 08:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

According to ESPN’s Woj, Kawhi has been medically cleared to play and is electing not to return!! And the story only gets more juicy!! Stay tuned because the off-season could be interesting.
Old 02-21-18, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

late in the season or not, doesn't make sense what pop said, its so late in the season theres "no point in bringing him back" if its late. theres plenty of point. plenty of reason to have him pllay.

woj report is interesting. wrinkle. ugh.
Old 02-21-18, 08:42 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Kawhi Leonard of San Antonio Spurs elects against returning to active roster

just saw the article.
sounds like kawhi has fibromyalgia. he is cleared but cont to think he is pain.
Old 02-21-18, 09:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hypochondriac!
Old 02-21-18, 09:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think the spurs should not offer the super max because of this.
Old 02-22-18, 12:15 AM
SR Team Goof

Does anybody know whether the Spurs can get anything out of this, possibly a medical exception or something? Like Polk said, this summer will be interesting as to what the Spurs do.
Old 02-22-18, 11:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Does anybody know whether the Spurs can get anything out of this, possibly a medical exception or something? Like Polk said, this summer will be interesting as to what the Spurs do.
Doubt it cause he was medically cleared. He's chosen not to play. His uncle in probably in his ear since it sounds like he's taken over the Page Ranking and negotiations for him. At the same time, probably hurting Kawhi in the process. Maybe even as far as manipulation?

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 02-22-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 12:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This sounds eerily like how Derrick Rose's injury and recovery went after his MVP season.
Old 02-22-18, 02:30 PM
SR Team Goof

Could he even be a little gun-shy after seeing Gay, Manu and Parker also go down with injuries? If he actually goes through with this, sitting out the rest of the season, there are some who might think he could have developed some psych issues from sitting on the bench so long, maybe hearing and listening to the voices in his head (actually, that's just me thinking that, right now that is....). To top that, since we don't know the present relationship between Kawhi and the Spurs FO, mainly because the local media has done such a stellar job reporting this whole situation as it is happening (sarcasm), his trade value could go down should a scenario pan out this summer and the Spurs take that route. I'm just saying.............
Old 02-22-18, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

best case scenario, we get klay thompson for kawhi whoe goes join golden state along with lebron.

worst case, kawhi goes to la lakers and we get back lonzo ball and all his dads ridiculous drama, kawhi join lebron in laker land
Old 02-22-18, 06:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I may be in the minority but I would not give Kawhi the super max if he does not play this year. Even if he comes back towards then end I would be reluctant. If Spurs had reason to believe he was doing this and wanted out before the trade deadline and did nothing then that is a horrible job of managing the team. This summer I would also look to the lakers and see if they would do a kawhi for Ingram, 1st rd and either kuzma or Randle. I dont know if they can trade their pick this year though.
Old 02-23-18, 09:27 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

You guys are nuts. It is too early to be speculating on trades, and if all we would get are what you folks have mentioned, we are doomed.
Old 02-25-18, 09:38 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

looks like the guy who started it all is back at it.
zaza pachulia unecessarily falls on westbrook just so he. an try to drive his kneee into hom and cause pain/injury.
🤦🏽*♂️
sorry at work and doing this thru phone, so cant get the link uo but saw the highlight. real EXTRA move by the Zaza
Old 02-25-18, 05:33 PM
SR Team Goof

Yup, that's a real sad 'flop' by Pachulia. It almost looked like he was looking for some nice bones to rollover on.

Old 02-26-18, 07:58 AM
SR Team Goof

Adrian Wojnarowski: There’s no question there’s a tremendous disconnect between him [Kawhi Leonard] and the team [Spurs] right now.
5 hours ago – via The Vertical
Old 02-26-18, 08:00 AM
SR Team Goof

Brian Windhorst: [The Spurs] can offer it [to Kawhi Leonard]. They put the $200 million [max extension] out there. Three months ago, I would have put down major money that that would have happened. So now, it’s not just whether Kawhi wants to extend his contract, it’s whether the Spurs want to offer him the $200 million. Tim McMahon: If the answer there is that they don’t, then it could become whether they explore the market and see ‘OK, if we’re not going to offer [Kawhi] the super-max, do we trade him?’ That’s a couple decisions down the road, but we’re on one now where it’s not a crazy possibility.
5 hours ago – via Player.fm
Old 02-26-18, 12:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

1. Pops arrogance and ego has alienated his best player. Its amazing that in basketball more than any other sport the truly talented players make the coach, not the other way around. Do you think Aurbach, Riley, Jackson, and even Kerr would have the status they have without the players behind them?

2. Notice, Zaza does his dirty work at home. That dude needs to be kicked out of the league.
Old 02-26-18, 01:59 PM
SR Team Goof

I'd have to agree on both counts. But in my mind, there were some NBA coaches who had fair-average luck winning who were low key, did the best they could with what they had and, in my opinion, I thought were pretty good coaches such as: Lenny Wilkins, Gene Shue, Al Attles, Stan Albeck, George Karl, Rudy Tomjanovich, Larry Brown, Rick Adelman, Don Nelson.
Old 02-26-18, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Apparently Kawhi is heading back to SA in an attempt to play sometime in March before post season

- Confucius
Old 02-26-18, 09:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What is this...Serge Ibaka in the playoffs injury? When he was declared out, then came back and put us away in the WCF!
Old 02-26-18, 11:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Please tell me you are joking, Pop is highly regarded around the league to the point the James might consider joining the Spurs.
Old 02-27-18, 10:49 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Please tell me you are joking, Pop is highly regarded around the league to the point the James might consider joining the Spurs.
lol. c'mon man. every star "might consider" joining the spurs. they never do. except aldridge, and he clearly stated his primary reason was to move back to texas. these "considering the spurs" rumors fly all the time and arnt anything more than that.
Old 02-27-18, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Could this Kawhi thing been about the super max contract? Were the Spurs holding out the contract negotiations and his uncle might not have been too pleased with the situation? That's a lot of money and stability...plus whatever $$$ sign was attached to his uncle's payment...if he is truly representing him...for a fee of course.

Maybe uncle saw Pop getting a little too chummy with LeBron and felt that man crush might hinder the extra money he would get if Kawhi signed somewhere else? Money changes people quickly....especially ones who've never or would ever get that kind of money for basically doing nothing.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 02-27-18 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
lol. c'mon man. every star "might consider" joining the spurs. they never do. except aldridge, and he clearly stated his primary reason was to move back to texas. these "considering the spurs" rumors fly all the time and arnt anything more than that.
What about when Duncan was a free agent and stayed because of Pop (Orlando) or Manu when he decided to not go to Denver?

I'd say most didnt go to Spurs because they would have been 4th option to Spurs Big 3 for a while. I don't think it had to do with Pop being the coach (as to why they didn't come).
Old 02-27-18, 02:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I wouldn't be surprised if this was planned all along. Too have him sit out most of year and rest his body for playoffs. We would most likely make it without him. And they know him being well rested for start of playoffs is a huge boost. Probably even rested Rudy Gay longer than usual just to keep him fresh for playoffs as well
Old 02-27-18, 03:27 PM
SR Team Goof

CIA Pop and RC always play their cards close to the vest and like keeping the press and fans in the dark. And resigning Kawhi to any big contract will probably be after the Spurs have caught any big fish during this summer’s free agent trolling, if any. Lebron ain’t coming to the Spurs --- market ain’t big enough for his ego.
Old 03-01-18, 11:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

We might need Robinson, Udoka, Elliott and Bonner to suit up...Cause this injury thing is out of control. Hell...call Avery Johnson too! Might be a decent starting 5...LMAO!
Old 03-02-18, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Couldn't have said it better.
Old 03-04-18, 09:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Looks like Kawhi's reps (Uncle) is costing his contract negotiations with Jordan brand to stall. Seems like Kawhi will be the most publicized Spur of all time. Everything he does now is out there in a not so positive way. Very un-Spur like.
Old 03-08-18, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezsr View Post
What about when Duncan was a free agent and stayed because of Pop (Orlando) or Manu when he decided to not go to Denver?
yeah, you just gave two examples of players who were already established spurs who jst happened to look at free agency. i think its understood we were mentioning FA from outside who would "choose" the spurs. but in any case.

so Kawhi final starts talking a little bit.
https://ssl.cdn.turner.com/nba/big/t...9_1280x720.mp4

looks like he's trying. i wonder if pop is trying to get him NOT to play since it already so late in the season, given his conference stating, "whats the point" of him coming in this late. definitely wont be conditioned to game form. would like to see him play. interesting.
Old 03-14-18, 01:43 AM
SR Team Goof

Kawhi Leonard To Remain Sidelined Through Thursday
March 13th, 2018 at 2:16pm CST by Arthur Hill

Leonard is expected to remain on the shelf through Thursday’s game, according to Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports, who tweets that the Spurs and their star forward will continue evaluating his quad injury in hopes of a return.

ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne adds (via Twitter) that Leonard is feeling “much better” and remains optimistic that he’ll be able to play before the end of the regular season. Shelburne confirms that Kawhi won’t play on Thursday vs. New Orleans.

Link to article: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/san-antonio-spurs
Old 03-15-18, 08:13 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

hes been healing all season. its so weird that its still day by day. makes me think he still feels uncomfortable. hence, as bad as i want him to come back, shud he?
i was super excited thinkin he may play today. guess not. but hmm, makes me wonder
Old 03-31-18, 02:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm about tired of this Kawhi debacle...No clear information, Kawhi doesn't talk like some kind of mute. But he's looking for a large payday. This will be the most pivotal point in SPURS history. They'd either be pretty damn sure he wants to be there or they best trade him early and get a good package for him like the Cavs did both times they made a trade. I'd take Kemba, Howard and Lamb for Kawhi, Gasol and Green. Send him East...and then maybe he can get a bigger Jordan contract.
Old 03-31-18, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
I'm about tired of this Kawhi debacle...No clear information, Kawhi doesn't talk like some kind of mute. But he's looking for a large payday. This will be the most pivotal point in SPURS history. They'd either be pretty damn sure he wants to be there or they best trade him early and get a good package for him like the Cavs did both times they made a trade. I'd take Kemba, Howard and Lamb for Kawhi, Gasol and Green. Send him East...and then maybe he can get a bigger Jordan contract.

And we would be guaranteed losers for years to come.
Old 04-01-18, 09:17 AM
SR Team Goof

Report: Kawhi Leonard returns to New York to continue quad rehab with specialists

Earlier this season the Spurs medical staff cleared him to play after dealing with a sore quadriceps tendon since before the season. Leonard played in nine games and had pain, so he went and got a second opinion from specialists in New York. Those doctors said “No, there’s something else there” and Leonard has been off the court and back in rehab since. It’s understandable why Leonard trusts his own people, he knows his body.

Leonard is away from the Spurs again working on rehab for his knee, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski and Michael C. Wright of ESPN.

For the second time this season, San Antonio Spurs star Kawhi Leonard has traveled to New York to continue rehabilitation for his lingering right quad injury under the supervision of outside medical personnel, league sources told ESPN.

Leonard has been in New York since Monday, and there’s no timetable set on a possible return to San Antonio, sources said.

Spurs staff is with Leonard monitoring his progress and working with him.

Two thoughts come out of this. First, at this point it seems highly unlikely that Leonard is back with the Spurs for the playoffs, and that means their run could be short. The Spurs are currently the four seed in the West at 44-32, but just one game separates them at four and the Pelicans at eighth in the West (teams 5-8 are just one game back in the loss column). Without Leonard as a defender and shot creator, the Spurs could run into real trouble against an athletic team in the first round such as Oklahoma City, or any of the top three (Houston, Golden State, or Portland). Without Leonard the Spurs are good, but they don’t strike fear into the hearts of potential playoff opponents.

Second, and more importantly, does this change the Spurs plans to offer Leonard a designated player max contract this summer? That’s the $200 million-plus deal that most recently James Harden and Russell Westbrook signed to stay in Houston and Oklahoma City, respectively? The Spurs almost certainly still offer it unless they have reason to believe that what is ailing Leonard will continue to linger beyond this season and into future years. Healthy, Leonard is unquestionably worth it, an MVP level player who is already a Finals MVP. However, if the Spurs have questions, would they wait to put to offer on the table until he’s back in training camp and looking healthy? And how would Leonard react to that delay?

Just something to watch, and a little more drama for the usually drama-free Spurs.

Link to article: Report: Kawhi Leonard returns to New York to continue quad rehab with specialists – ProBasketballTalk
Old 04-01-18, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

And we would be guaranteed losers for years to come.
And when he walks and the Spurs get nothing...then it'll be lottery territory. Cause Pop will retire, Manu will follow and you'll be stuck with a no name roster. And overpaid Mills and Gasol with no one wanting to come to San Antonio. So you either cut your ties and do your best to get the best deal and soften the fall, or fall flat on your face and don't attempt to make a trade and hope you know exactly what's going on in Kawhi's head.

Teammates calling him out, coach...media barking all kinds of stuff. Is he going to get sick of it and just go where a city will pump out billboards, roll out the red carpet...give him LeBron like access to free agents they should go after. Lakers can do that easily. He'd be home with his family (uncle), the first or second largest market.

He'd lose 40+ million, but he'd easily make that up in L.A. Magic would treat him like a KING, Kobe would be accessible for more personal training in the summers...his options are endless in Los Angeles. So I hope the Spurs know what he's thinking or it'll be a disaster if they make the wrong guess. Cause trading him before he demands a trade and drops his value would be crippling.
Old 04-01-18, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'd trade him this summer and not chance further injury or super max contracts. You can't have the face on your franchise going against management, that just sets a bad precedent. Plus you need a vocal guy to be your face, not someone who leaves his teammates to be depicted as the villians etc.

His value will be very high this off-season and decline tremedously if he's plays out his existing contract.
Old 04-01-18, 07:35 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff5000 View Post
I'd trade him this summer and not chance further injury or super max contracts. You can't have the face on your franchise going against management, that just sets a bad precedent. Plus you need a vocal guy to be your face, not someone who leaves his teammates to be depicted as the villians etc.

His value will be very high this off-season and decline tremedously if he's plays out his existing contract.
tim duncan wasn't particularly known as a 'vocal' guy.
im not sure he's per se going 'against management'. he has some type of pain issue, perhaps neuropathy, or tendon pain issue that doesn't appear to have clear medical source.
not sure he is doing anything to make his teammates seem like villians?

but yeah real complicated situation for sure.
Old 04-02-18, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

You are all fools being led by fake news.

Kawhi is injured, he is getting a second opinion because he isn't healing correctly. The players had a meeting to get their mind right about Kawhi not playing this season and have been playing well ever since.

THere is nothing more to the story.

He isn't getting traded.
He isn't mad at the spurs.
The other players aren't mad at him.
Pop isn't mad at him.
He isn't faking the injury to get a better contract.
He isn't disgruntled (other than the frustration of being injured for the whole season).

It is all a media circus to get people to click on stories.
Old 04-02-18, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
You are all fools being led by fake news.

Kawhi is injured, he is getting a second opinion because he isn't healing correctly. The players had a meeting to get their mind right about Kawhi not playing this season and have been playing well ever since.

THere is nothing more to the story.

He isn't getting traded.
He isn't mad at the spurs.
The other players aren't mad at him.
Pop isn't mad at him.
He isn't faking the injury to get a better contract.
He isn't disgruntled (other than the frustration of being injured for the whole season).

It is all a media circus to get people to click on stories.
You seem pretty confident...that's cool, but there's a feel that something isn't right one way or the other. This is an odd thing with this franchise and I just don't want to believe there's a possibility he'd leave and everything is peaches and cream, but if I'm wrong it'd be great. If I'm right it'll suck.

When family gets involved in negotiations and decisions it's usually not the best thing. Family can sway a persons decision easier than a the employer. They'll always make the employer look to be the bad guy and will use the "Family knows best" line to tilt the decision. I really, truly and desperately hope your right, cause we've all seen the #1 player leave a good team to sign with other teams these past few years....what makes this any different?
Old 04-02-18, 12:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What ever!! Let's wait till we get all of the story.
Old 04-03-18, 12:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
You seem pretty confident...that's cool, but there's a feel that something isn't right one way or the other. This is an odd thing with this franchise and I just don't want to believe there's a possibility he'd leave and everything is peaches and cream, but if I'm wrong it'd be great. If I'm right it'll suck.

When family gets involved in negotiations and decisions it's usually not the best thing. Family can sway a persons decision easier than a the employer. They'll always make the employer look to be the bad guy and will use the "Family knows best" line to tilt the decision. I really, truly and desperately hope your right, cause we've all seen the #1 player leave a good team to sign with other teams these past few years....what makes this any different?
The only thing that isn't right is Kawhi's quad.

What makes this different is the history of the Spurs and how they treat their players . . . most notably LaMarcus Aldridge.

We should only believe what the Spurs themselves have said.
When Kawhi was asked if he wants to retire a Spur he said "yes"
Danny Green, Manu Ginobili, and Brandon Paul have all said the reports of the "tense" meeting about Kawhi were false.
The media cannot be trusted.