News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-17, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs and Aldridge talking contract extension

LOL . . . . some of you are going to commit suicide over this.

The San Antonio Spurs have engaged in talks with forward LaMarcus Aldridge on a possible contract extension, according to ESPNs Adrian Wojnarowski.

Details soon to come.

https://clutchpoints.com/spurs-news-lamarcus-aldridge-engage-in-talks-for-contract-extension/
Old 10-16-17, 12:56 PM
SR Team Goof

I’m comfortable with it. It gives us a scoring big for long term (3-4 years) plus it gives him peace of mind that he’ll close out his career in Texas. And Pop will get his money’s worth out of him too. (Give him more time during the HEB commercials). If LA chooses to opt out, he’s casting his fate to the wind, ie., if he suffers an injury like Kawhi, this might decease his value during next years free agency period, let alone the fact is there anybody out there that will offer the big bucks/max for him.
Old 10-16-17, 01:09 PM
SR Team Goof

I just found this on ESPN for ya'll to digest (link below) to go along with this article. Zack Lowe/ESPN analyst has 32 wacky predictions for this season and this is one of them:

LaMarcus Aldridge opts in ... and gets traded

What Aldridge does with his $22 million player option is one of the hottest questions in the league. I probably asked about 50 executives and agents, and the response was close to evenly split.

When Aldridge signed in San Antonio two summers ago, the option barely registered: The cap would zoom up and up, teams would have oodles of room, and Aldridge would opt out to cash in on a new deal.

A player of his age (32) and stature might opt out for the security of something like a three-year, $50 million deal. Waiting another year risks further age-related erosion. (Side note: He's also eligible for an extension before the season starts. Just saying.)

But who is giving Aldridge a new $17 million-per-year deal in a cap environment tighter than anyone anticipated two years ago? Most teams slated to have mega-room are bad. Aldridge serves no purpose on a bad team. The Earl Watson connection will (probably) be there in Phoenix, but Suns GM Ryan McDonough should throw himself in front of any Aldridge signing.

Aldridge might normally count on his incumbent team for that sort of offer. But if this season ends the way the last one did, both parties might be ready to move on. He could still choose that $22 million over a cool market, work with the Spurs on a trade, and try free agency again in the summer of 2019 -- when teams are (for now) projected to have more cap room.

Link: Zach Lowe's 32 crazy NBA predictions - 2017-18
Old 10-16-17, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Aldridge is going to be a Spur until he retires.
Old 10-16-17, 03:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs' LaMarcus Aldridge has reached agreement on a three-year, $72.3M contract extension, league sources tell ESPN.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-16-17, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Deal includes partial guarantee in third-year, league sources tell ESPN.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-16-17, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good for LA. I am hoping for big things from him this year. Who knows maybe he’ll actyally deliver

- Confucius
Old 10-16-17, 05:52 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Aldridge is going to be a Spur until he retires.
Chopps -- I believe you nailed this one. I don't think anybody would want to take on that kind of salary in trade now. Then again, stranger things have happened. I sincerely hope that SpurDuncan21is right, that LA might just deliver and live up to his potential. If it happens, look out league.
Old 10-16-17, 06:42 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

what the pho....!?
ughh.
pau gasol.
lamarcus aldridge. i think next we will sign darko milicic and kwame brown to max contracts?
Old 10-16-17, 07:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm cool with it to. How many top tier power forwards will be available next year or 3 years down the road? Not Davis, Griffin, Milsap, Love, Green or Porzingis. Maybe Favors, Randall, Parker? That's it for the breed of power forwards. And other than Cousins, Monroe and Jordan, the centers are locked up. Don't even think about Jokic.

Maybe this rejuvenates and solidifies him to this team as his Batman to Kawhi's Superman. Spurs will continue to develop guys and do what they do even if we think it's not right for the way the game is being played. You lose Aldridge...It'll leave a gaping hole at the 4 with nothing to replace him with but done scraps unless someone is willing to pull a Kyrie/Thomas type trade....unlikely.
Old 10-17-17, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think a lot of Spurs fans are jaded about Aldridge's collapse in the playoffs.

In the regular season, he performed equal to his contract. His defense is outstanding. His problem is he is a soft-spoken guy who probably needed to speak up a little more about his role. If he can match his regular season performance last year in the playoffs, we have a great chance of beating the Warriors. Frankly, I expect him to be better this season than he was last season.

Last season our offense was all about Kawhi. With the addition of some more shooters and a slasher in Rudy Gay, I expect things to open up for Aldridge

And, by the way, I expect our motion offense to help Danny Green as well.
Old 10-17-17, 09:51 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I think a lot of Spurs fans are jaded about Aldridge's collapse in the playoffs.

In the regular season, he performed equal to his contract. His defense is outstanding. His problem is he is a soft-spoken guy who probably needed to speak up a little more about his role. If he can match his regular season performance last year in the playoffs, we have a great chance of beating the Warriors. Frankly, I expect him to be better this season than he was last season.

Last season our offense was all about Kawhi. With the addition of some more shooters and a slasher in Rudy Gay, I expect things to open up for Aldridge

And, by the way, I expect our motion offense to help Danny Green as well.
The scapegoating of LMA for his performance in the GSW series was idiotic. The team barely had a chance with 100% healthy KY. Once he was out, those 3.5 remaining games were pointless. KY and LMA were a good foundation to bring a third big name FA in next. The only problem is that still inexplicable Gasol deal. I guess the front office has decided that chasing after GSW is pointless and it is best to wait for the luxury tax to take them down in 2-3 years.
Old 10-17-17, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
The scapegoating of LMA for his performance in the GSW series was idiotic. The team barely had a chance with 100% healthy KY. Once he was out, those 3.5 remaining games were pointless. KY and LMA were a good foundation to bring a third big name FA in next. The only problem is that still inexplicable Gasol deal. I guess the front office has decided that chasing after GSW is pointless and it is best to wait for the luxury tax to take them down in 2-3 years.
The Patty Mills contract is still suspect to me to. But both contracts are loyalty contracts. Mills was overweight according to Pop...and transformed his body. Pau was told by Marc to choose the Spurs cause they take care of their guys. I think Tony and his injury kind of played part in Mills contract to.

Hopefully being nice to Pau will attract Marc in a couple years...LMAO!
Old 10-17-17, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
The Patty Mills contract is still suspect to me to. But both contracts are loyalty contracts. Mills was overweight according to Pop...and transformed his body. Pau was told by Marc to choose the Spurs cause they take care of their guys. I think Tony and his injury kind of played part in Mills contract to.

Hopefully being nice to Pau will attract Marc in a couple years...LMAO!

In a couple of years I think Marc will be too old. Even then he’d still be younger than when Pau joined us

- Confucius
Old 10-18-17, 05:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

All the contracts we signed this season and last prove that the front office doesn't think we needed anything more than Rudy Gay, and a center that can pass the ball (Lauvergne) to compete with the Warriors, and frankly I agree.
Old 10-18-17, 05:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
All the contracts we signed this season and last prove that the front office doesn't think we needed anything more than Rudy Gay, and a center that can pass the ball (Lauvergne) to compete with the Warriors, and frankly I agree.
Barring Kawhi's leg/hand, Parkers leg, Gay and his achilles, Aldridge's heart and Gasol's and Ginobli's age....we'll be o.k....Maybe.
Old 10-18-17, 05:40 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Barring Kawhi's leg/hand, Parkers leg, Gay and his achilles, Aldridge's heart and Gasol's and Ginobli's age....we'll be o.k....Maybe.
Paramedics are on the scene..........and SAMMC is right down the street.