News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-13-17, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs renounce rights to Simmons

The San Antonio Spurs have renounced the rights to Jonathon Simmons, according to Shams Charania of The Vertical, making the wing an unrestricted free agent.

Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News reported that the Spurs "couldn't reach an agreement on a deal or trade," though Michael C. Wright of ESPN.com said he was told "the team will still engage him in discussions."

Jonathon Simmons Reportedly Has Rights Renounced by Spurs; Becomes Free Agent | Bleacher Report
Old 07-13-17, 11:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

And then there is this addition:

Old 07-13-17, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Chopps, read a tweet the Spurs sign Brandon Paul. Didn't Rudy Gay agree to mid level exception? Doesn't that mean the Spurs have to go over the cap some how?

Last edited by Vinnyistheman; 07-13-17 at 11:54 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-17, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/07/13/cl...summer-league/

Spurs' Brandon Paul: Signs with Spurs - CBSSports.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-17, 11:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Plus, why would the Spurs renounce Simmions rights and still negotiate with him? does not make any sense...
Old 07-13-17, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyistheman View Post
Plus, why would the Spurs renounce Simmions rights and still negotiate with him? does not make any sense...
I think it allows them to give him more money and maybe be even more flexible about how the contract is structured. I am not a capologist, so just guessing here.
Old 07-13-17, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I could see that, not wanting to match a back loaded contract like the Heat had to do last year with Tyler Johnson, but risky, even with only a handful teams having money to spend on him...
Old 07-13-17, 12:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyistheman View Post
I could see that, not wanting to match a back loaded contract like the Heat had to do last year with Tyler Johnson, but risky, even with only a handful teams having money to spend on him...
True, but I think he wants to come back and looking at wholse left, would you rather be on a losing team vs the Spurs w/the same money? Their rep allows them to ability to do these types of moves (i.e. Gasol and Simmons) because players know they will keep their word.
Old 07-13-17, 01:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Just read Jabari Young is reporting Simmons and Spurs no longer negotiating. If in fact he is no longer a spur, there is absolutely no reason why Hanga should not have been signed. I hope to see movement on that front because if not that will be hugely disappointing.

- Confucius

Last edited by spurduncan21; 07-13-17 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Just read Jabari Young is reporting Simmons and Spurs no longer negotiating. If in fact he is no longer a spur, there is absolutely no reason why Hanga should not have been signed. I hope to see movement on that front because if not that will be hugely disappointing.
Well... I guess the front court IS still a concern to the FO with this trade they rejected for Tyson Chandler

https://airalamo.com/2017/07/13/san-...-simmons-suns/

Last edited by montgod; 07-13-17 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

My best guess is that I think the Spurs are keeping their cap clean for next Summer FAs.
Old 07-13-17, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
My best guess is that I think the Spurs are keeping their cap clean for next Summer FAs.
They are but I could see them signing a 1 year vet like Dunleavy, Allen, Affalo, or someone.
Old 07-13-17, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs turned down sign and trade with Simmons to Suns for Tyson Chandler due to not wanting to pay all of 26 million remaining on 2 yrs
Old 07-13-17, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Oh well...He's not coming back, on to bigger and better things...hopefully?
Old 07-13-17, 03:40 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
..... If in fact he is no longer a spur, there is absolutely no reason why Hanga should not have been signed. I hope to see movement on that front because if not that will be hugely disappointing.
I think this thread will bring you up-to-date regarding Hanga, if I'm reading your post correctly.

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sp...n-antonio.html (Adam Hanga will not be coming to San Antonio)

Old 07-13-17, 03:47 PM
SR Team Goof

Looks like the renouncing rights is bringing other bidders to the table since Simmons is now a UFA. SAD!!

David Aldridge: Strong interest in Jonathan Simmons, now a UFA after Spurs pulled QO. A couple of teams in front; decision could come by the weekend.
1 hour ago – via Twitter daldridgetnt
Old 07-13-17, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I think this thread will bring you up-to-date regarding Hanga, if I'm reading your post correctly.

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sp...n-antonio.html (Adam Hanga will not be coming to San Antonio)

I am perfectly up to date but Baskonia just matched Barcelonas offer to Hanga so he'll be staying put in Baskonia. Being that Bertans had an opt out close while with that team and it's already known he wants to be in the NBA (caveat is that he needs to be and feel wanted) so it's not written in stone that Hanga will not be a spur

- Confucius
Old 07-13-17, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am glad we didn't do a sign and trade for old ass and expensive Tyson Chandler.

Sometimes no moves are the best moves.

Go Bryn Forbes!
Old 07-13-17, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am fine losing Simmons, but find myself here scratching my head as to why Hanga is not already a Spur. Paul who was signed looks to be a hybrid player much like Simmons so am thinking that the was the FO contingency plan. I hope there is still hope for Hanga considering his desire to play in the NBA is well known especially to Baskonia (former team that matched Barcelona's offer just recently), but never know what is going on behind the scenes

- Confucius
Old 07-13-17, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I am glad we didn't do a sign and trade for old ass and expensive Tyson Chandler.

Sometimes no moves are the best moves.

Go Bryn Forbes!
Exactly...wasn't that close to what Gasol was making a year? This is a youth movement, not the opposite. Sign and trade him for Okafor or someone young. Probably would have been a damn good situation if they didn't already sign Reddick for a one year, crap load of money.
Old 07-13-17, 06:20 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
I am perfectly up to date but Baskonia just matched Barcelonas offer to Hanga so he'll be staying put in Baskonia. .....
Sorry, my bad.

Found some Brandon Pau highlights pertaining to Paul.

Old 07-13-17, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Read Simmons to SA no longer a possibility... Will be signing with a new team soon.
Old 07-13-17, 09:32 PM
SR Team Goof

T H I S S U C K S !!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-17, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think he's only got one good contract in him seeing that he's already 28. He was looking for financial security but the Spurs weren't trying to spend the kind of money he was looking for. Probably 9-15 million over 4 years.
Old 07-14-17, 12:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

GSG
Old 07-14-17, 09:26 AM
SR Team Goof

David Aldridge: Source says Jonathan Simmons signing is imminent.
5 hours ago via Twitter daldridgetnt
Old 07-14-17, 11:48 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
David Aldridge: Source says Jonathan Simmons signing is imminent.
5 hours ago via Twitter daldridgetnt
With who?
Old 07-14-17, 12:10 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrobes66 View Post
With who?
I guess with whoever can pony up the bucks. I read somewhere that Dallas was very interested. We'll hear soon enough.

Old 07-14-17, 12:58 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Simmons to the Warriors! lol

the whole "spurs" system falling apart without Timmmy Duncan!
it'll be fun to see kawhi get to run around and be like westbrook/harden did last year i guess. guess we'll find out how much he can inflate his numbers doing that.
Old 07-14-17, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Orlando Magic...3yrs.
Old 07-14-17, 03:55 PM
SR Team Goof

Well, hell. But I'm glad he signed in the East because I'd hate to have to watch him three or four times a year defending the goal and slam dunking like he did here in SA.

The best of luck to you, Jonathan. You sure gave us a lot of talk about and you gave us our money's worth while wearing the silver and black. Vaya con Dios, mi amigo.
Old 07-14-17, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

3 years, 20 million . . . much less than the Spurs were offering.

I think Simmons (and a lot of other free agents this year) just thought he was going to get a much bigger contract . . . . . . and he let that sour his relationship with PATFO.
Old 07-14-17, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Johnathan, I wish you well
Old 07-14-17, 06:09 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

wait wtf. we couldn't afford to give him that much ? thats a great deal?
wtf. did he jst not want to be in san antoino?
Old 07-14-17, 07:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
wait wtf. we couldn't afford to give him that much ? thats a great deal?
wtf. did he jst not want to be in san antoino?
I saw something that said he "wasn't a big fan" of Pop.
Old 07-14-17, 07:28 PM
SR Team Goof

Wow, and I thought Pop was one of his biggest fans, bringing him aboard, giving him added playing time, exposing Jonathan to the NBA fans across this vast land. Maybe Simmons is sensitive to being told in a rather intense voice that he may have f*cked up on an assignment or three. Going after the big payday can bring those feelings to the surface. Enjoy DisneyWorld.
Old 07-15-17, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

dam even if he didnt like pop, he coulda took the money. we were supposedly offering 9mill per year! c'mon JSimmS!.
sucks. our only other young talent
Old 07-15-17, 10:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

There are some facts we are not privy of because what we are seeing does not make sense. Maybe Paul or Hanga will fill his shoes.
Old 07-15-17, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Kwai and Paul twins?? Both rock the corn row hair style!!
Old 07-15-17, 01:56 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
..........Maybe Paul or Hanga will fill his shoes.
Only if they can take a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave change..........Ok, that was a little extreme; maybe leave a picture of Simmons' block on Steph Curry.
Old 07-15-17, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

His contract shows how much we overpaid mills.
Old 07-16-17, 06:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sounds like they never made a single offer to him. Maybe he was down on the check list of order on how the Spurs wanted to do their contract negotiations.
Old 07-16-17, 08:02 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

in a offseason where we signed nonone useful (gay comingnof iniury), sours really fkd up and gotta own it losing a talent like simmons for such little money.

i think we all expected that spurs would let him go if overpaid, but this! this spurs jst meased up bad.
Old 07-16-17, 09:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Sounds like they never made a single offer to him. Maybe he was down on the check list of order on how the Spurs wanted to do their contract negotiations.
They made an offer to him when he was still a restricted free agent. The talks broke down over his role. He wanted more playing time, and with Rudy Gay, his role probably wasn't going to increase but rather stay the same. When they came to an impasse on his role, they explored sign and trade offers. When none of the sign and trades ended up appealing to the Spurs, they released him so he could sign with someone who would give him the role he wanted. So, after releasing him, there was no point in giving him an offer.

At least this is my take on what went down.

They (the Spurs and Simmons) both did the best they could to meet their goals while helping out the other, and it just didn't work out.
Old 07-16-17, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
in a offseason where we signed nonone useful (gay comingnof iniury), sours really fkd up and gotta own it losing a talent like simmons for such little money.

i think we all expected that spurs would let him go if overpaid, but this! this spurs jst meased up bad.
I am not sure I agree that Simmons is gettng paid "such little money."

He had one good playoff run where he played some pretty good defense. He had one series where he scored decently (against the Warriors).
The fact remains that he digressed this season from last season. His minutes went up, but his FG% plummeted from .504 to .420. His 3pt fg% took a nose dive from .383 to .294. He didn't prove he was even worth the 6 million per season he got IMHO . . . . .unless he was playing in the Spurs system and playing his defense.

I predict he is the next Gary Neal in terms of how long he stays in the league.
Old 07-16-17, 11:13 AM
SR Team Goof

Gasol has got to be thinking that negotiating and signing our own free agents was one of the reasons he opted out of his last year at $16 mil. Then again, maybe the Spurs had other reasons, low balled him like they did Stephen Jackson, and that was that.
Old 07-16-17, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I am not sure I agree that Simmons is gettng paid "such little money."

He had one good playoff run where he played some pretty good defense. He had one series where he scored decently (against the Warriors).
The fact remains that he digressed this season from last season. His minutes went up, but his FG% plummeted from .504 to .420. His 3pt fg% took a nose dive from .383 to .294. He didn't prove he was even worth the 6 million per season he got IMHO . . . . .unless he was playing in the Spurs system and playing his defense.

I predict he is the next Gary Neal in terms of how long he stays in the league.
such little money according to reports that spurs were giving him 9mill/yr. ie less money than the spurs.
and given that he basically did almost everythign danny green has done and for less money, seems a better deal to keep simmons and keep trying to trade green. also given that green has been worse each year and simmons is younger and getting better each year.
Old 07-16-17, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
They made an offer to him when he was still a restricted free agent. The talks broke down over his role. He wanted more playing time, and with Rudy Gay, his role probably wasn't going to increase but rather stay the same. When they came to an impasse on his role, they explored sign and trade offers. When none of the sign and trades ended up appealing to the Spurs, they released him so he could sign with someone who would give him the role he wanted. So, after releasing him, there was no point in giving him an offer. Guess no one wanted a sign and trade involving him.

At least this is my take on what went down.

They (the Spurs and Simmons) both did the best they could to meet their goals while helping out the other, and it just didn't work out.
I think he would have started to take Danny's minutes from him this year. Would've been nice to get someone back for him...a cheap big or a shooter. Fournier, Herzonia...Biyambo.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 07-16-17 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
such little money according to reports that spurs were giving him 9mill/yr. ie less money than the spurs.
and given that he basically did almost everythign danny green has done and for less money, seems a better deal to keep simmons and keep trying to trade green. also given that green has been worse each year and simmons is younger and getting better each year.
Yea, I guess he has done everything Danny Green has done . . .Except:

Get on an All NBA defensive team
Set a record for most 3's in a finals
Become a starter in the NBA
Lead the league in 3pt FG % for parts of multiple seasons

I mean, aside from all of that . . . yea I guess Simmons "basically did almost everythign danny green has done." One thing Simmons has done is regress in FG% from 50% to 42%, and in 3pt FG% from 38% to 29%. If you were frustrated with Danny Green's missed 3's . . . . how much will you tolerate Sommons' 29% 3 point FG%?

Last edited by choppsboy; 07-16-17 at 02:32 PM.