News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-17, 10:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Robert Horry blasts Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/...-manu-ginobili

In a Monday broadcast of ESPN’s The Jump, seven-time champ*Robert Horrythrew a bit of shade at his former*Spursteammates while praising another former teammate, Hakeem Olajuwon.

Here’s how it all started:

“Dream was 20 times better than*Tim Duncan,” Horry said, which prompted further probing from Rachel Nichols and another former Spur,*Stephen Jackson.

Nichols: “Wait, did you just take a shot at Tim Duncan’s work ethic?!”

Horry: “No, I’m just saying. Like, Kobe’s was the best ever. And I’ve seen these two guys in the gym. I know what Dream brought to practice. I know what Tim brought to practice. I know Tim, he brought work ethic to practice, but it’s an extra level... But what Dream brought to the game is amazing. I don’t think people understand how good Olajuwon was because, here’s the thing, I always tell people to judge a player by what they cannot do. Who would you want on the line at the end of the game, Dream or Tim Duncan?”

His fellow broadcasters pressed Horry, with Jackson asserting his preference of Duncan over Olajuwon. And then, in response to*Paul Pierce*saying Houston wouldn’t have won a title if Michael Jordan hadn’t retired, Big Shot Bob half-seriously said:

“Let me just say this: You got yours because, if*Manu Ginobili*would have did the things he was supposed to do, I would have had like 10 championships.”

Horry played four years in San Antonio and won two titles as a Spur. He also noted inan article for The Players’ Tribune*that he thought Rudy Tomjonavich, and “not*Gregg Popovich”, was the best coach he’d played for.

H/T to*USA Today’s Adi Joseph, whose article has video of the full conversation.

Im a bout ready to disowned Horry as a Spur.
Old 06-06-17, 02:09 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Was Horry drinking?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-17, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I gotta say his comments about Manu are spot on . . . Especially against Dallas!

Ultimately thought, Manu won many more games with his greatness than he lost with his recklessness.
Old 06-06-17, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I gotta say his comments about Manu are spot on . . . Especially against Dallas!

Ultimately thought, Manu won many more games with his greatness than he lost with his recklessness.
Agree wholeheartedly. ManU has been great but his foul against Dirk in the 2006 WCF was a bone headed play. Yes, he brought them back after being down double digits to be in position to make the bone headed play, but bone headed nonetheless.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-17, 12:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Manu a big reason we lost against Miami in 2013 as well... As was Kawhi... But Manu missing free-throws and turning it over every time he touched it at the end doomed us.
Old 06-06-17, 01:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Damn...didn't know Hakeem had 100 championships! STHU!!
Old 06-06-17, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
Agree wholeheartedly. ManU has been great but his foul against Dirk in the 2006 WCF was a bone headed play. Yes, he brought them back after being down double digits to be in position to make the bone headed play, but bone headed nonetheless.
It was not the WCF. It was the Semi-Finals. Dallas beat Phoenix in the WCF that year. Also, I think Horry was really talking about the 2008 playoffs when Manu hurt his ankle in the playoffs. They lost to the Lakers in the playoffs and the Lakers went on to play the Celtics in the Finals which was the year that Paul Pierce won his title. Horry was basically saying that if manu was healthy the Spurs would have played the Celtics in the Finals and would have beat the Celtics.
Old 06-06-17, 03:53 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezsr View Post
It was not the WCF. It was the Semi-Finals. Dallas beat Phoenix in the WCF that year. Also, I think Horry was really talking about the 2008 playoffs when Manu hurt his ankle in the playoffs. They lost to the Lakers in the playoffs and the Lakers went on to play the Celtics in the Finals which was the year that Paul Pierce won his title. Horry was basically saying that if manu was healthy the Spurs would have played the Celtics in the Finals and would have beat the Celtics.

This i doubt... Has he cleared this up?
Old 06-06-17, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

yea i saw this. 20 times better! dam, and its not one play, he said he would have 3 more championships if not for ginobili lol
Old 06-06-17, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Thanks for the correction on the WCF vs. semi-finals. Since Horry wasn't specific we are all guessing at what he's talking about but I don't quite buy the explanation of the ankle injury. Horry says, "If Manu did what he was supposed to do..." That implies a missed assignment or doing something that he was told not to do. I was wrong on the finals vs. semi-finals. I'll give you that. I do, however, recall it being said that Pop specifically said "Do not foul!" during the timeout prior to that play. But again, maybe I'm wrong on that too.
Old 06-06-17, 09:50 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

*LOOKS AROUND* HMM DON'T SEE A "MOMBEAR WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG ABOUT WHORRY" THREAD...

Old 06-07-17, 01:03 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

https://youtu.be/zURUcwgvhDY

https://youtu.be/zURUcwgvhDY

spurs won!
Old 06-07-17, 11:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
*LOOKS AROUND* HMM DON'T SEE A "MOMBEAR WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG ABOUT WHORRY" THREAD...
Please accept my apology!!
Old 06-07-17, 05:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Thanks for the correction on the WCF vs. semi-finals. Since Horry wasn't specific we are all guessing at what he's talking about but I don't quite buy the explanation of the ankle injury. Horry says, "If Manu did what he was supposed to do..." That implies a missed assignment or doing something that he was told not to do. I was wrong on the finals vs. semi-finals. I'll give you that. I do, however, recall it being said that Pop specifically said "Do not foul!" during the timeout prior to that play. But again, maybe I'm wrong on that too.
Why would he bring up 2006 to Paul Pierce? Pierce said Horry was lucky and would only have 5 rings if Jordan didn't retire. That's when Horry told Pierce that he was lucky that he got his one ring and brought up Ginobili.

This is from an article on it and it quotes the conversation.

Horry: “Let me just say this: You got yours because, if Manu Ginobili would have did the things he was supposed to do, I would have had like 10 championships.”

Yes, that’s another completely unprompted swipe at a Spurs legend from Horry. Ginobili drew the assignment of guarding Kobe Bryant (another former Horry teammate) in 2008, when Bryant went off on the Spurs and led the Los Angeles Lakers to a 4-1 Western Conference finals victory before they lost to Pierce’s Boston Celtics.

Robert Horry called out Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili for no reason on ESPN | For The Win
Old 06-07-17, 05:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
This i doubt... Has he cleared this up?

Horry: “Let me just say this: You got yours because, if Manu Ginobili would have did the things he was supposed to do, I would have had like 10 championships.”

Yes, that’s another completely unprompted swipe at a Spurs legend from Horry. Ginobili drew the assignment of guarding Kobe Bryant (another former Horry teammate) in 2008, when Bryant went off on the Spurs and led the Los Angeles Lakers to a 4-1 Western Conference finals victory before they lost to Pierce’s Boston Celtics.

Robert Horry called out Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili for no reason on ESPN | For The Win
Old 06-07-17, 05:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Ginobili only scored in double digits 2 out of 5 games in that 2008 series vs the Lakers because of his injured ankle. He also had to cover Bryant. Hence the "If Ginobili did what he was supposed to do". He just was not able to because of the injury.
Old 06-07-17, 10:10 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Please accept my apology!!
Apology accepted!

Old 06-08-17, 09:36 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Ginobili only scored in double digits 2 out of 5 games in that 2008 series vs the Lakers because of his injured ankle. He also had to cover Bryant. Hence the "If Ginobili did what he was supposed to do". He just was not able to because of the injury.
Interesting theory.. But that isn't what Horry meant...
Old 06-08-17, 10:17 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Interesting theory.. But that isn't what Horry meant...
Yes it is
Old 06-08-17, 12:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Yes it is
If it was, he would have clarified... Unless horry did clarify later? Nope..
Old 06-08-17, 12:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Just because some random writer referenced that doesn't mean that's what Robert was talking about... Its a lot more likely he is talking about bone head plays like the Dirk foul... Not Manu getting burned by a top 10 player in NBA history on a bum ankle lol.
Old 06-08-17, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Why would he bring up 2006 to Paul Pierce? Pierce said Horry was lucky and would only have 5 rings if Jordan didn't retire. That's when Horry told Pierce that he was lucky that he got his one ring and brought up Ginobili.

So let me get this straight. Ginobili, typically a 6th man for the Spurs, drew the assignment of guarding Kobe Bryant - a starter for the Lakers - while Bruce Bowen, the Spurs best defender and person normally assigned to guard Kobe was still on the roster in 2008?!? That makes no sense. So Horry, in deference to Ginobili, infers that if Manu had done what he was supposed to do (i.e. stay healthy) we (the Spurs) would've beat the Lakers because Manu would've been able to hold Kobe.

Simply not buying that argument.
Old 06-08-17, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Just because some random writer referenced that doesn't mean that's what Robert was talking about... Its a lot more likely he is talking about bone head plays like the Dirk foul... Not Manu getting burned by a top 10 player in NBA history on a bum ankle lol.
Exactly!! Just makes more sense...
Old 06-08-17, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Go back and listen to the video. He specifically said to Paul "you only got yours because....". Paul got his in 2008. Why would he say that if he was talking about 2006 haha???

Last edited by ibanezsr; 06-08-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
So let me get this straight. Ginobili, typically a 6th man for the Spurs, drew the assignment of guarding Kobe Bryant - a starter for the Lakers - while Bruce Bowen, the Spurs best defender and person normally assigned to guard Kobe was still on the roster in 2008?!? That makes no sense. So Horry, in deference to Ginobili, infers that if Manu had done what he was supposed to do (i.e. stay healthy) we (the Spurs) would've beat the Lakers because Manu would've been able to hold Kobe.

Simply not buying that argument.
In 2008 Ginobili averaged 19.5 points during the regular season. He scored in single digits 3 times because of the ankle injury. Again why would he bring up 2006 when he started the convo with "you only got yours because...."???
Old 06-08-17, 01:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Nope
Old 06-08-17, 01:42 PM
SpursReport Rookie

You guys are forgetting that Ginobili was the leading scorer for the team in 2008. When your leading scorer is not scoring because of an injury you are not going to win.
Old 06-08-17, 01:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

OK let me get this straight....Horry said that he said that she said wasn't right but rather he said this not that was right however it wasn't Ginobli's fault??
Old 06-23-17, 12:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
OK let me get this straight....Horry said that he said that she said wasn't right but rather he said this not that was right however it wasn't Ginobli's fault??
Old 03-08-18, 11:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Late post I know, and yes Hakeem was a bad man. I still wanna see if he'd been as dominant though against us in 95 had the Spurs doubled him on every touch like they did Robinson. Yes I know Hakeem was the better player, but the disparity wasn't as wide as many casual observers would believe, at least not IMO.

Oh, and I thoroughly believe that if Timmy's knees didn't go so soon RoHo would be eating his words. Much of Timmy's efforts went to prolonging his career.