News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-02-17, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

How much loyalty is too much?

Spurs have always been top of the list of loyalty to their players. But with the passing of the guard swiftly among us...Parker going downward, Manu probably retiring, Gasol only being here a year Aldridge not quite the player they thought they were giving a max type contract. And Green's offensive game limited to shooting 3's and an occasional drive to the basket and low free throw attempts.

Granted guys like Paul, Lowry and Hill are older than someone the Spurs would need to carry on with Kawhi and possibly Aldridge. Does the Spurs have confidence Parker can contribute a little more after the injury? How long till Murray is running and ready for this team. Are they looking for a bridge point guard? Or do they wait for a guy like Wall...a transcending lighting bolt of a point guard to lure him away from a team that drafted him?

Pop won't be there forever...when do they pull the plug and jump into the deep end and break protocol? I love our guys, but it seems like it's time for that loyalty to go to the back burner. Guys like Isaiah Thomas and Durant are willing to forgo or take less to keep the team intact and sign other top tier players.

Parker won't get any better, nor will Manu. Aldridge...who knows. But Kawhi is still ascending and he's going to need more consistent help from here on out. Kawhi, Murray and Bertans are the most intriguing to me, the rest...well, not so much. Simmons if they can keep him and turn him into a 3&D guy then maybe he takes Danny's spot.

Or do the Spurs just continue their ways and hope the Western conference doesn't continue to get stronger and catch & pass them up...Cause their just TOO loyal to their players.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-17, 04:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Loyalty is one of the reasons the Spurs are the most consistent team in the NBA.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-17, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Loyalty is one of the reasons the Spurs are the most consistent team in the NBA.
Not only consistent, but consistently winning championships.

I am glad the Spurs organization is more loyal than fans.

Tony Parker's contract is actually quite good. His leadership is very valuable and his stats do not reflect the value he brings to the organization.

The same is true for Danny Green and LaMarcus Aldridge.

All of the fans here who whine and cry about people's stats, and want the Spurs to trade this "bad contract" and that "bad contract" are fools.

Thank God Pop and RC are in charge and not you fickle fans.

Let me make a prediction for you. None of the following players are going to be traded:
Tony Parker
LaMarcus Aldridge
Danny Green.
Old 06-02-17, 05:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

Tony Parker's contract is actually quite good. His leadership is very valuable and his stats do not reflect the value he brings to the organization.

All of the fans here who whine and cry about people's stats, and want the Spurs to trade this "bad contract" and that "bad contract" are fools.

Let me make a prediction for you. None of the following players are going to be traded:
Tony Parker
LaMarcus Aldridge
Danny Green.
I second that emotion!
Old 06-02-17, 08:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Tony Parker
LaMarcus Aldridge
Danny Green.
Counterpoint: #CP32SA2017

Starters
Random Center
Lamarcus Aldridge
Kawhi Leonard
Danny Green
Chris Paul

Last edited by b1gdon; 06-02-17 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 12:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think CP3 would be a great addition. The guy simply knows how to play the game. I think LMA would be better with Paul. It's not like Aldridge all of a sudden forgot how to play ball. I think he has deferred a bit too much and has been simply trying to fit in. That time has passed. Time to play ball and CP3 could facilitate that. There is some concern about how Kawhi would fit in since he is used to dominating the ball. I wouldn't want him to simply become a catch and shoot guy upon Paul's arrival. Finally, the Spurs need an a-hole on the court!! A damn dawg that is a tough, even borderline dirty, player. Paul is that player. The Spurs have an a-hole for a coach but he can't put the ball in the basket. Everyone in here damn near pissed their pants with joy when Pop said, "I want some nasty...," a few years back. Say what you will CP3 brings that nasty!! How you get him here, that's what RC and Pop get paid to do!
Old 06-03-17, 12:34 PM
SR Team Goof

Well said. Should RC/Pop convince Paul to wear the silver and black and the Spurs still maintain a somewhat 'core' roster will be truly magical.
Old 06-03-17, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Tony Parker
LaMarcus Aldridge
Danny Green.
I don't think they are necessarily bad contracts. Danny Green's is one of the best values in the NBA and we'd be foolish to part with it. But of the big 3, Tony Parker is the one I would have the least problem with Pop doing the whole Goodfellas dress scene with.

Pop: Hey Tony, bummer about your knee. So is this it, huh? You're going to have to call it quits.
Tony: Ahh Pop, you know, I talk to the doctor and he tell me I can rehab and be back in January.
Pop: Oh Tony, that's great. Really great. By the way, I got some of that great cold pressed juice blending, why don't you pick one up for yourself.
Tony: Well, you know, I'm not really thirsty, but my wife, she might like some. Is it right over here?
Pop: No, no, no. It's over there. Yeah, yeah. In the ally behind the practice facility. Yeah, right over there.
Old 06-03-17, 11:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

All the fans who care about stats.. Idiots... You don't need to make open shots, rebound or be effective in crunch time to be an a solid big thats worth 21 million a year... LOL. The fans who say LA is playing well are the minority.. Pretty much everyone in the world is calling out Aldridge for playing soft.. Even Popovich in a more tame manner...The only fools are the ones that try and justify a guy getting paid 21 million per to play like a role player. Fickle fans.. Aka fans that aren't blind as a bat.

I personally would rather give LA another year to see if injury really played that big a role.. If he comes in next year and plays as lazy, soft, and intimidated as he did this year (especially playoffs).. Then I say adios Amigo.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 06-03-17 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 12:18 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

tim duncan is gone. no more championships.
we can have fun watching them play and consistently go to the playoffs.
Old 06-04-17, 08:46 AM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

Interesting points. I must be the minority since I supported LA during his playoff debacle. It's pretty logical to me that he was simply asked to do things he's not comfortable with. When Parker, who is a slashing kick out and pass PG, is our best option to facilitate, and he goes down, it lead to the teams fallout. Ok so we asked Mills, who is capable of dribbling the ball up to half court and that's about it, to run the offense we were dead at that point. He is an undersized natural shooting guard. Too much of a disruption of any kind to do what we needed. Now maybe if we were in the regular season playing against the lakers, sixers,or magic we would work out the kinks, but not in the playoffs against top teams.
So the question lies is he worth his contract??? Well sure since we have a top tier big man that can shoot the mid range jumper and at times play in the post. Now I agree he doesn't have that killer instinct or best footwork down there but that's why we need a better center to play alongside him. Remember he even stated that he wants nothing to do with the center position!!! Made that clear and was reason he left Portland, or at least one of them. My thoughts are we need a center( I would like to keep dedmon, but who knows what the deal is with his cut in playing time). Now in saying all that, if you have a chance to get Chris Paul th n you at least run the numbers and see what you have. He made Jordan into an all star for crying out loud. Imagine what Aldridge would become??? And takes pressure off of Kawhi so he can pick his spots again of catch and shoot or facilitate. I just don't know if money can support the cause. I believe Chris wants to come and I also believe he would even go through the motions of working the money situation to ensure the team is aware and has the support. He's a perfect type guy for the Spurs and could keep the window alive! At least to win 50 games again and a playoff push.
Old 06-04-17, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Im torn on Paul... Love the idea but im skeptical. I will say that all too often our offense would stall and go stagnant for stretches.. (Those are the times when having the top defense really helped) .. But I think Paul could be the cure for that.
Old 06-04-17, 05:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Chris Paul at the helm would make our offense significantly better. People like to think the dude is frail but he plays over 70 games a year. I think the real issue is Playing time because Doc Rivers is one of those coaches that play his guys big time and keeps starters in well after the game is decided. Pop wouldn't do such things but instead would give his guys (esp vets) time off every now and then. If CP is serious about ring coached by Pop, it will be solely about winning and maximizing longevity in this league. I would take CP over any pg if it means he won't be getting $30+M per season. He'd have to take less, but ideal scenario would involve shipping Green and Gasol out for that to happen and I'm all aboard with that.

We can't afford to lose Simmons at only $8M (max he can be offered since hell be a rfa heading into his second season. I want Simmons and Hanga as our wings next season. Think that would be dynamic with Murray, Kyle and Bertans. Chris Paul is nasty pitbull and will act as the vocal leader on the court. From what I read, he may be disliked by peers because he's so hard on teammates and coaches. Well I act much in line with that mentality and think that would only be positive in the Spurs system. Pop doesn't coddle any players and he would be no exception. I only imagine what difference he would make not just on the offensive end but also defensively. We would no longer be a sieve defensively where elite PGs kill is game after game due to a defensively challenged starting point guard. He'd be able to handle switches ten times better than Mills of Parker ever could dream of. We're talking about a guy who gets under much bigger guys skin (KD, etc). He'd be amazing and would be far more valuable than anything we'd lose to get him. "THIS IS SPARTA" (Ok I meant Spurs)

- Confucius

Last edited by spurduncan21; 06-04-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 06:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I am against us getting paul as I have stated in other threads. I think in 2 to 3 years he would start showing signs and we would be in the same spot again except with a much high paid player. People keep saying dont waste Kawhi prime years but I think by signing Paul we would be wasting more of his prime years then by going with what we have. We will need to bring in a solid vet to help play behind Murry. I would go after them in this order: Rose, Collision, both of those for no more then MLE. After that the min or maybe BAE would be Aaron Broks, Ramon Sessions. after that I think most are about the same.
Old 06-05-17, 02:09 AM
Resident Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
I think CP3 would be a great addition. The guy simply knows how to play the game. I think LMA would be better with Paul. It's not like Aldridge all of a sudden forgot how to play ball. I think he has deferred a bit too much and has been simply trying to fit in. That time has passed. Time to play ball and CP3 could facilitate that. There is some concern about how Kawhi would fit in since he is used to dominating the ball. I wouldn't want him to simply become a catch and shoot guy upon Paul's arrival. Finally, the Spurs need an a-hole on the court!! A damn dawg that is a tough, even borderline dirty, player. Paul is that player. The Spurs have an a-hole for a coach but he can't put the ball in the basket. Everyone in here damn near pissed their pants with joy when Pop said, "I want some nasty...," a few years back. Say what you will CP3 brings that nasty!! How you get him here, that's what RC and Pop get paid to do!
Hmm the CP3 discussions seem oddly familiar. I recall people spouting similar excitement about LA. I refuse to get on the CP3 bandwagon as I did with the Aldridge one. They both take us to the same destination....
Old 06-05-17, 07:30 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
I am against us getting paul as I have stated in other threads. I think in 2 to 3 years he would start showing signs and we would be in the same spot again except with a much high paid player. People keep saying dont waste Kawhi prime years but I think by signing Paul we would be wasting more of his prime years then by going with what we have. We will need to bring in a solid vet to help play behind Murry. I would go after them in this order: Rose, Collision, both of those for no more then MLE. After that the min or maybe BAE would be Aaron Broks, Ramon Sessions. after that I think most are about the same.
Don't forget.... Paul hasn't made it deep into the playoffs..ever... His legs are probably more like a 30 year olds.. Lol
Old 06-05-17, 07:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSGIRL4Life View Post
Hmm the CP3 discussions seem oddly familiar. I recall people spouting similar excitement about LA. I refuse to get on the CP3 bandwagon as I did with the Aldridge one. They both take us to the same destination....
I would like to think Paul has a few things LA doesn't.. Heart,the will to win, and a little attitude... Paul is a pitbull.. LA more like a lab...
Old 06-05-17, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Don't forget.... Paul hasn't made it deep into the playoffs..ever... His legs are probably more like a 30 year olds.. Lol
I dont think you get younger by not playing as many games. I think you only get older by playing more then average games.
Old 06-06-17, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I dont think you get younger by not playing as many games. I think you only get older by playing more then average games.
You don't technically get younger.. But you feel better... You feel younger... Less time running, cutting, jumping, falling the better on your body.. It why guys with SA are able to have longer careers.. They play less minutes..
Old 06-06-17, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
You don't technically get younger.. But you feel better... You feel younger... Less time running, cutting, jumping, falling the better on your body.. It why guys with SA are able to have longer careers.. They play less minutes..
I understand you dont actually get younger just like you dont actually get older (except day by day) by playing more min. However when people are talking about this they I believe are talking about a standard season. Paul has played many playoff games as well so his body would be older then the avg player his age that only played in the regular season.
Old 06-06-17, 09:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I understand you dont actually get younger just like you dont actually get older (except day by day) by playing more min. However when people are talking about this they I believe are talking about a standard season. Paul has played many playoff games as well so his body would be older then the avg player his age that only played in the regular season.
Compared to other stars.. He hasn't logged that many minutes.. He has less playoff minutes than Russell Westbrook who was drafted 4 years later .. Paul has had a lot of rest over the summers.
Old 06-06-17, 10:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Without looking I would say Prker westbrook and Irving would be the only ones that have more miles. Conley, Holiday, Wall Thomas, and many others I would think have less over that time. thay have made into the playoffs and even intot he second rd a few times.
Old 06-07-17, 06:47 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yea... But Paul>>>conley, wall, thomas... Mileage or not... Probably still take Conley though because he is a bit younger.. Idk about 200 mil. If Paul would sign a 2 year deal that be awesome..but that will never happen.
Old 06-07-17, 06:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The spurs have been loyal to 3 guys: Tim, Manu and Tony. They have gotten rid of in one way or another Sean Elliott, Tiago, Hill, Boris, Brent Barry to name a few. I don't think they trade Tony, but they likely only re-sign him to a very team friendly deal.
Old 06-07-17, 08:07 PM
SR Team Goof

I think TP will be the judge of that, if he successfully gets thru his rehab and however much training hell have to endure to get himself back into game shape. Remember, were talking about a 35 year old point guard whose attributes were quickness and ability to beat opponents to the basket with his speed and agility, who also just happens to have a vast history of leg and hamstring issues. This man has a long, difficult road ahead of him in order to get those attributes back and be a serious challenge to his younger opponents. I wish him all the luck in the world.
Old 06-08-17, 07:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Loyalty? Tell that to George Hill, Boris Diaw, Tiago Splitter, Malik Rose, Bruce Bowen, etc. The Spurs were "loyal" to 3 guys: Duncan, Manu, and Tony. Why? Because they all took below market deals to stay together. More so than loyalty the Spurs are honest with players which is really all you can ask for. I don't think they kick Tony to the curb even though doing so probably benefits the team, but I will bet anyone here $100 that the Spurs renounce Tony once his contract expires. They may sign him back on a very team-friendly contract to be a backup either 2nd or 3rd string, but only because that will be what is best for the team.
Old 06-21-17, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Looks like LOYALTY will be tested this year.
Old 06-22-17, 06:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Tony Parker
LaMarcus Aldridge
Danny Green.
I agree that most fans want change instead of seeing the big picture which the Spurs FO do an excellent job with and have always been successful because of it. Saying that, I don't agree that the Spurs FO stand pat with two of the players mentioned, LA and Green (as rumors have already confirmed). If you want to win, you have to show up in the playoffs and both of them were inconsistent this season especially when it mattered in the playoffs. Spurs understand this and know they need to improve for now and for the future. Why not get something for them now if you think you can improve or be just as good as last year and position yourself for 2018 as well? If the right deal comes, I am ok with the Spurs FO making a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
tim duncan is gone. no more championships.
we can have fun watching them play and consistently go to the playoffs.
If Spurs FO makes moves, it will be because they are trying to set this team to win more championships. And that's all as fans I can ask for especially with Kawhi being the special player he is.

Quote:
Im torn on Paul... Love the idea but im skeptical. I will say that all too often our offense would stall and go stagnant for stretches.. (Those are the times when having the top defense really helped) .. But I think Paul could be the cure for that.
I am too, but fully agree that he will improve the team offense holistically or just do it on his own if need be. I would be interested to see what he does with LA if LA isn't traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Looks like LOYALTY will be tested this year.
No doubt. And I would have to think, unfortunately, that TP would be on that list of possible trades if he was healthy. Then again, if he was healthy.. makes you wonder what the result would have been in the playoffs if Kawhi didn't have to carry as much of the load and get hurt. I guess we will never know.

Last edited by montgod; 06-22-17 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Tony Parker
LaMarcus Aldridge
Danny Green.
As far as Aldridge goes.. Prediction not looking so hot... If rumors are true... Be shocked if he is in a spurs uniform next season... Hope he isn't.. Because he isn't worth what he gets paid as I've been saying forever...
Old 06-23-17, 09:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Tony Parker
LaMarcus Aldridge
Danny Green.
After recent news events, do you care to change your position on Aldridge or Green?
Old 06-23-17, 10:58 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 (How much loyalty is too much?)
After recent news events, do you care to change your position on Aldridge or Green?

Quoting from a news article I saw, "The Spurs reportedly kicked the tires on a few players value, but no blockbuster trade was made." The time to change his position (Chopps) might be when someone actually packs their bags and jumps on the bus out of town. Just an observation.
Old 06-23-17, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 (How much loyalty is too much?)

Quoting from a news article I saw, "The Spurs reportedly kicked the tires on a few players’ value, but no blockbuster trade was made." The time to change his position (Chopps) might be when someone actually packs their bags and jumps on the bus out of town. Just an observation.

True.. He hasn't been traded yet... But as far as Aldridge goes... Been banging that Aldridge has to go drum forever.. Clearly I'm not the only one that thinks this guy has to go... I really can't believe anyone defended Aldridge... He was crap during the year and significantly worse during the playoffs... Big games/moments are Aldridge's kryptonite.. He just doesn't have it. Aldridge didn't have to score "millions of points" he just had to not suck and shrink when we needed him. Anyone objective could see Aldridge was the problem...

To be fair to necron, I think Choppsboy was saying that about those 3 with complete confidence they wearnt going anywhere.. And while he is right about TP... His confidence has to be wavering on Green and especially on Lagarbage..nothing against choppsboy... All in good fun.. We all want the same thing.. Titles for our Spurs.. We just think it takes different things to get it.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 06-23-17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
True.. He hasn't been traded yet... But as far as Aldridge goes... Been banging that Aldridge has to go drum forever.. Clearly I'm not the only one that thinks this guy has to go... I really can't believe anyone defended Aldridge... He was crap during the year and significantly worse during the playoffs... Big games/moments are Aldridge's kryptonite.. He just doesn't have it. Aldridge didn't have to score "millions of points" he just had to not suck and shrink when we needed him. Anyone objective could see Aldridge was the problem...

To be fair to necron, I think Choppsboy was saying that about those 3 with complete confidence they wearnt going anywhere.. And while he is right about TP... His confidence has to be wavering on Green and especially on Lagarbage..nothing against choppsboy... All in good fun.. We all want the same thing.. Titles for our Spurs.. We just think it takes different things to get it.
Well.. the one silver lining about all this is if LA isn't traded, this is a contract year for him, so he better come to play or he doesn't get a nice contract.
Old 06-23-17, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
Well.. the one silver lining about all this is if LA isn't traded, this is a contract year for him, so he better come to play or he doesn't get a nice contract.
True that... We will see what happens I guess...
Old 06-23-17, 04:01 PM
SR Team Goof

The one knock I've had against Aldridge since day one is his constant ability to miss layups or tip-ins when he breaks free under the basket. Granted, he might get it right after two or three trys but e-gads man.
Old 06-23-17, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
The one knock I've had against Aldridge since day one is his constant ability to miss layups or tip-ins when he breaks free under the basket. Granted, he might get it right after two or three trys but e-gads man.
I have a few.. Mainly it's that he is soft both mentally and physically..never seen a big shy away from contact like LMA in my lifetime.. And he just comes up small when the moment is big... He is scared of the big game..