News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-25-17, 09:20 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Has Kawhi Surpassed Lebron?

3) Athleticism:
Lebron James at 32 years of age is slowing down a bit on the athletic side of things, despite this he is still more athletic than 85% of the league. Kawhi is arguably well within that 15% and has shown that he can defend the 4-time MVP with ease when it counts.

Has Kawhi Surpassed Lebron? - DCTREE-NATION

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-17, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Different players. Different situations. Tough to gauge.

If, however, the question were: would I trade Kawhi for LeBron, the answer would be "hell, no!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-30-17, 04:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

No! When Lebron was 25 he would have never let his team lose a home game to Dallas.
Old 01-31-17, 08:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
No! When Lebron was 25 he would have never let his team lose a home game to Dallas.
I beg the differ.

Mavericks vs. Heat - Game Recap - December 20, 2010 - ESPN
Old 01-31-17, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Guys can we please for a couple of months stop giving Kawhi props he really doesnt deserve?

Lebron james even with no outside shot could lead his teammates to finals, on his own back. He has gone to the finals SEVEN times being the main option in every one of them and now SIX STRAIGHT

Kawhi has never done that or anything remotely close. We all know he won finals mvp by playing pretty well (and we all know he wasnt the main option, which gave him a lot more freedom)

Since then the klaw has clearly elevated his game, more so on the offensive side, be it by every shooting form, driving, playmaking and even leading.
I still think lebron, as old as he is, is still more of a freak than Kawhi (the way he elevates, contests shots whenever he really feels like it or runs the floor), is also way stronger and leads in playmaking by miles. He probably takes more plays off nowadays, but thats about it.

Kawhi at his young age already doesnt hustle defensively as much as he did in years past, because he nwo cares a bit more about scoring today than keeping his opponent at 0. And if Kawhi would have to play 37-40 minutes a game im pretty sure he would run out of gas in just a matter of games. Keep in mind throughout their careers lebron has played 7.5 more minutes per game than Kawhi and has rarely missed any games.

Finally Kawhi has had 2 times to showcase himself in the playoffs. First he started great against the clippers but finally melted. Then his second chance came against the Thunder and even though he played well, it just wasnt great and Durant played better.

So before putting himself in the Lebron area, let him at least try get himself into the conversation (regular season and post season)

Last edited by spurs backbon; 01-31-17 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 06:10 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs backbon View Post
Guys can we please for a couple of months stop giving Kawhi props he really doesnt deserve?

Lebron james even with no outside shot could lead his teammates to finals, on his own back. He has gone to the finals SEVEN times being the main option in every one of them and now SIX STRAIGHT

Kawhi has never done that or anything remotely close. We all know he won finals mvp by playing pretty well (and we all know he wasnt the main option, which gave him a lot more freedom)

Since then the klaw has clearly elevated his game, more so on the offensive side, be it by every shooting form, driving, playmaking and even leading.
I still think lebron, as old as he is, is still more of a freak than Kawhi (the way he elevates, contests shots whenever he really feels like it or runs the floor), is also way stronger and leads in playmaking by miles. He probably takes more plays off nowadays, but thats about it.

Kawhi at his young age already doesnt hustle defensively as much as he did in years past, because he nwo cares a bit more about scoring today than keeping his opponent at 0. And if Kawhi would have to play 37-40 minutes a game im pretty sure he would run out of gas in just a matter of games. Keep in mind throughout their careers lebron has played 7.5 more minutes per game than Kawhi and has rarely missed any games.

Finally Kawhi has had 2 times to showcase himself in the playoffs. First he started great against the clippers but finally melted. Then his second chance came against the Thunder and even though he played well, it just wasnt great and Durant played better.

So before putting himself in the Lebron area, let him at least try get himself into the conversation (regular season and post season)
Ill just point out that 90% of those LeBron finals trips were cakewalks to get there... Had seeding been overall and not east /west... The east teams would have been 12,13,14,15,16...the east has been pathetic for a long time... He doesn't even get to the finals 3 times if he goes through the West...
Old 02-01-17, 12:51 PM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

Kawhi still on the learning curve plus he gets "coached" to play in a system. Lebron's talents dictate the offense, meaning he can effectively play the point and move the ball into sets for his teammates. Kawhi doesn't have that gift yet. I think the comparison would be more controversial if he were on another team that didn't have him on a leash i.e. Westbrook, Durant, Harden, James. Now defensively Kawhi is really really good. He stays in plays, rebounds, and steals. I would definitely put him in the Jordan, Pippen category. I like Kawhi's game and am just looking for him to put that Killer Kobe Bryant touch into his game. IMO Kobe is a far better player than Lebron and would much look to those comparisons.
Old 02-04-17, 12:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgar37 View Post
Kawhi still on the learning curve plus he gets "coached" to play in a system. Lebron's talents dictate the offense, meaning he can effectively play the point and move the ball into sets for his teammates. Kawhi doesn't have that gift yet. I think the comparison would be more controversial if he were on another team that didn't have him on a leash i.e. Westbrook, Durant, Harden, James. Now defensively Kawhi is really really good. He stays in plays, rebounds, and steals. I would definitely put him in the Jordan, Pippen category. I like Kawhi's game and am just looking for him to put that Killer Kobe Bryant touch into his game. IMO Kobe is a far better player than Lebron and would much look to those comparisons.
Kobe better than lebron? Haha come one man..kobe is a 45 % shooter who shot 33 from 3 point land, those numbers are not really good and it shows he used to take many per game. Besides Kobe wasnt as dominating defensively as lebron can be when he chooses to.

Mj as a first option was great, super effective, kobe on the other hand wasnt. Lebron is way more effective. You could say when kobe got hot there was no stopping him, maybe, he was clutch. But he was also the biggest me/me player with a kinda low shooting percentage. If you are going to want the ball that often, you better be as effective as MJ or lebron.
Old 02-05-17, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs backbon View Post
Kobe better than lebron? Haha come one man..kobe is a 45 % shooter who shot 33 from 3 point land, those numbers are not really good and it shows he used to take many per game. Besides Kobe wasnt as dominating defensively as lebron can be when he chooses to.

Mj as a first option was great, super effective, kobe on the other hand wasnt. Lebron is way more effective. You could say when kobe got hot there was no stopping him, maybe, he was clutch. But he was also the biggest me/me player with a kinda low shooting percentage. If you are going to want the ball that often, you better be as effective as MJ or lebron.
Im going to have to respectfully disagree. Kobe was a me player, sure. Lets not act like LeBron isn't. Kobe didn't just get hot... He had an incredible killer instinct, especially at the end of games (where LeBron seems to fold or get passive) .. No clue what you mean that Kobe wasn't a first option. Seems really silly to me. Kobe was an 11 or 12 time all defensive team. LeBron is like 5 time. LeBron will end his career with less defensive team selections. 45% shooting and 33 from 3 isn't that bad for a career. Lets not even act like LeBron is a better shooter than Kobe. LeBron has a better % because more of his pts came in the paint and at the rim. Oh, and Kobe last couple throw away years he was playing with dead legs. If asking who i fear more... Kobe all day.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 02-05-17 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-05-17, 10:00 AM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

First I'm gonna say this is a McDonald's - Burger King debate, so it comes down to preference. The other thing I'll say is that I don't really like either player, but respect their games...lol...

Understanding these guys have different size and length to them, place Kobe as a natural 2-3 while Lebron is more of a 4 with very talented ball-handling enabling him to play 2-3. But seriously in a matchup, Lebron has 40lbs on Kobe and 2 inches. So also take note that Kobe was much better than you quote defensively having been on 12 all nba defensive teams to Lebrons 6. Lebron plays in the East, c'mon...when was the last time he had to go through TOUGH playoffs every single year. Don't you remember the Lakers/Spurs series???? It would be different story if he played in the West. Not taking anything away from him, but there is a reason Kobe was asked by Pop to mentor Kawhi. I know Lebron is still playing so he wouldn't be able to do so, but look at Kawhi's game and tell me who it more resembles.
Old 02-06-17, 12:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Obviously resembles kobe more because kawhi emulates jordan and kobe tried to do every single jordan impression he could, even the tongue.

Talking about Lebron being a 4..yeah, a 4 that plays any position with ease, so what are you trying to say? Lebron is way more flexible (that might not be the right word but i guess you understand what i mean) than any other nba player.

Talking about the east..guys he won 3 of those, that means he had to play the best of the west and won 3 times, one of them against us, and honestly he would have probably got 4 if he didnt lose kyrie 2 Years ago.

And im talking about kobe as second fiddle to shaq. In case you forgot how they became a threepeat organization.

Kobe is just not that much of an effective player, and his PER wiLL help you understand that. I know per doesnt mean everything, but look at the players with the highest per in history and you will get a pretty good idea of how real it is.
Old 02-06-17, 08:47 AM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

Exactly....Jordan is a natural 2 guard that can play the 3....especially in his era with where size matchups were. He was also capable of playing the point and in some instances the 4. We're talking about 2 different positions when it comes to Kobe and Lebron. Jordan praises Kobe as most similar game style over Lebron, and Pippen does the same for Lebron towards his game. It's just what it is, so if you prefer Lebron's game and style over Kobe's than that's your opinion. But to downplay Kobe's game stating he isn't a clutch player, defense isn't worthy, and PER...than I wouldn't agree. But, as I stated earlier get your burger from where you like partner. Both will be HOF'ers and have impact on the game for younger players for years to come. I just hope Kawhi sustains his gameplay and can join them in the hall one day.
Old 02-07-17, 02:00 AM
Resident Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Different players. Different situations. Tough to gauge.

If, however, the question were: would I trade Kawhi for LeBron, the answer would be "hell, no!"
I second that!
Old 02-07-17, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSGIRL4Life View Post
I second that!
Me too!!
Old 02-27-17, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Exactly....Jordan is a natural 2 guard that can play the 3....especially in his era with where size matchups were. He was also capable of playing the point and in some instances the 4. We're talking about 2 different positions when it comes to Kobe and Lebron. Jordan praises Kobe as most similar game style over Lebron, and Pippen does the same for Lebron towards his game. It's just what it is, so if you prefer Lebron's game and style over Kobe's than that's your opinion. But to downplay Kobe's game stating he isn't a clutch player, defense isn't worthy, and PER...than I wouldn't agree. But, as I stated earlier get your burger from where you like partner. Both will be HOF'ers and have impact on the game for younger players for years to come. I just hope Kawhi sustains his gameplay and can join them in the hall one day.
Dude, whatever you want to believe is fine. But if you are trying to compare kobe's court vision to lebron then you must be completely out of your mind. If you want to compare lebron's ability to dominate defensively to kobe, again, you have seen him play too little. Give me a single stat (not accolades, but stats) in which kobe outplays lebron outside of ft shooting %, please...be it regular season or playoffs.
Besides, do i really have to point out how many mvps does lebron have?
And being all D doesnt really talk about how good your d is but how good it is among the ones in your position. And im not saying kobe wasnt a good defender!!

Give lebron his due.. he might whine a lot, but the guy is a freaking animal.
Old 03-02-17, 09:49 PM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

Read all the posts homie...I said it simply becomes whomever you prefer just like any other debate be it burgers, beer, etc...It's simply 2 gifted players playing different positions being great for their teams. I really don't care for either of them as I stated, but for me I'll take my chances with Kobe. As for accolades and stats, I guess you think Phil Jackson is the best coach since he has more rings???? Or Bill Russell is the best center of all time with his achievements??? I never discredited Lebron, but other folks arguing the defense and that's what I posted.
Old 03-09-17, 02:28 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by Kawhi gets coached to play in a system. Pop over the years has taken the talents of his star players and have had the role players fit around them in a way to maximize the team's effectiveness on the court. That's a nice way to say that Robinson and Elliott deferred to Tim who deferred to Manu and Tony who have now deferred to Kawhi and LaMarcus. I guess I take slight exception (although I mostly agree with you) to how you say LBJ's talents dictate the offense because in effect, that is exactly why Pop has run the offense this season through Kawhi primarily so he can take advantage of Kawhi's floorgame with improved handles, post up and wing mismatches, and spreading the defense with his 3 point shooting.
I will never knock LBJ. He is an all-time great, but in this day and age, ain't no one better than the Klaw who can not only guard him but make LBJ's team pay on the other end. By the way, I'm an old timer on this site and have had the pleasure of watching Kawhi play since he was a frosh at SDSU. People thought I was crazy back then when I said he would be better than Ninja on offense, and Bruce on defense. Even I was wrong. I didn't know he would be THIS GOOD!
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~