News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-07-17, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Trade or stand pat?

Lots of bodies going up for grabs this year...do the Spurs stand pat or try and improve even more? Lopez for Gasol? Anderson for Hardaway Jr.? Anyone from the Nuggets attainable? I think it's going to be the busiest trade tune in a long time. Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-17, 12:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm actually torn. I don't think GS is as unbeatable as we thought, so going for it this year is doable. That said, LMA does not match KY age wise so it would be better long term to trade him while his value is highest for a younger star.

If we are going for it this year, moving Gasol for Bogut could solidify our interior defense. Goran Dragic will be available, but that would have to cost the Spurs Parker, so it can't happen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-17, 12:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs look set for this year, as things are beginning to gel. One might argue that their roster is slightly flawed, but so is everyone else's. Trading one piece for another (e.g., slow-footed Gasol for frequently injured Bogut) doesn't seem to make much sense.

IMHO, the only deal-changer on the horizon is Jimmy Butler. He and Kawhi are about the same age and could be a dynamic duo for the foreseeable future. If Butler is actually on the market, almost anyone on the Spur roster should be available to acquire him.
Old 01-08-17, 01:32 PM
SR Team Goof

I agree with McK that the Spurs do seem to be coming together but I think we need to address a couple weak spots in Gasol, defensively, and Anderson. Though I am enjoying Gasol’s addition to the squad offensively, particularly his midrange and 3-point shooting accuracy, but to watch him continually fail at the defensive end has me torn. I was at the Spurs-Charlotte game last night (7Jan) and would check Coach Pop’s reaction to Gasol allowing silly layups on coverages and it wasn’t pretty. Anderson’s effectiveness seems to be dwindling but that may be due to his lack of PT. From the entire roster, these two I would put on the trading block for a veteran #4. But going after Chicago’s Butler may be a stretch. To accomplish that, we would really have to gut our bench which has gotten us out of a lot of close games and has added spark in the late quarters of games. Granted, a twin billing of Butler/Leonard would be a defensive-minded coach’s dream but I don’t want to think of the sacrifice that would need to take place for that to happen.

MrJ, a Gasol for Lopez trade I would take in a second but I think Brooklyn is looking to rebuild with very high draft picks and not trading salary for salary. GM Sean Marks walked into a very dismal situation when he took that job and he must have sold the Nets’ owner on a solid game plan for the teams future so I’m sure he has his eye on rebuilding through the draft, much like Boston has done.

If I were to make a trade at all, it would be to see what the Sixers would take for Nerlens Noel because he would be an intriguing piece for the Spurs’ future at the center position. And I think the Sixers need some veteran leadership there in Philly to help turn things around.

However, if the Spurs were to do anything, they’ll probably pick up another workable veteran for cheap to fill that vacant 15th roster spot. But the time between now and the trade deadline, I’ll agree, will be very interesting to say the least.
Old 01-08-17, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Good analysis, ALH. Gasol's lack of mobility on D is worrisome, but the Spurs knew what they were getting in him. His IQ and offensive prowess are the plus that sorta compensate. My guess is that Pop is relying on stronger team defense to make up for his lack of rim protection. The block party the Spurs threw against Toronto last week is the ideal the Spurs need.

Noel is intriguing. He's the odd man out in Philly, and every time I see him, he plays ferocious defense. He protects the paint and is quick enough to challenge big men who wander towards the arc. He's Dedmon with an even more interesting skill set on D.

To be clear, I don't think that getting Butler addresses an immediate problem. Acquiring him would necessitate a re-thinking of the playbook on both ends of the court. He'd be a brilliant pick-up if the Spurs had him and everyone else for training camp. The thought of him teaming with Kawhi for the next few years would send chills through opponents for years to come.
Old 01-09-17, 08:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
I'm actually torn. I don't think GS is as unbeatable as we thought, so going for it this year is doable. That said, LMA does not match KY age wise so it would be better long term to trade him while his value is highest for a younger star.

If we are going for it this year, moving Gasol for Bogut could solidify our interior defense. Goran Dragic will be available, but that would have to cost the Spurs Parker, so it can't happen.
And by gosh...Can they get rid of Anderson! I think Bertans will easily take him minutes. Anderson just might become the late version of Bonner...Get him outta here!

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 01-09-17 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 04:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I call it the grass is greener symptom. We are starting to look good and you guys want to make changes.
Old 01-09-17, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
I call it the grass is greener symptom. We are starting to look good and you guys want to make changes.
The grass isn't always greener.... But often it is....
Old 01-09-17, 06:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Not greener...just a couple upgrades. You know, like cell phones, every year it's a new phone but the same, but different parts and fun new tech. Now if we could somehow swing Noel, that would be great and help the Spurs future youth movement.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 01-09-17 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 07:00 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
You can't just water the grass and hope that it stays green. I'm just experimenting with some fertilizers in the hope of keeping the grass green for years to come while I bask in the winter sun with a smile on my face..

Old 01-10-17, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

And there also is something called team chemistry, witness Bonner thru all the years with his limited talent. I am just saying sometimes JUST TALENT does not always translate to success.
Old 01-11-17, 10:37 AM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

I agree...too much invested on these already great players like Gasol. I believe the coaching staff is really noticing what we have and how to play our strengths versus certain teams. Dedmon comes in for Pau when we need the rim protection and some "nasty." Simmons has taken Anderson's minutes and rightfully so. He is now showcasing the Cougar triple and gaining confidence. David Lee is by far an extremely upgrade from West last year, and Bertans is playing well too. I've said it before that this is the most talented roster we have ever had. All 14-15 guys can play tons of minutes at any given time, so at this point you stay the course, ride the chemistry.

Having said all that, during the offseason is where it will be interesting to see what happens. I agree that Butler would definitely be nice to pick up. Manu retires, Kyle moves on, and that could free up some money for him. But we can wait till after the parade to discuss that.
Old 01-11-17, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I agree with cgar37 and we also have Bryn Forbes who is averaging 20 pts a game in the D league. If Manu can keep playing the same level he may go one more year.
Old 01-11-17, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs biggest strength is size. if they are going to make a trade it can't take away from said size. Id rather make a trade for someone like Noel and then sign a free agent SG/SF like Gordo Hay in Utah (instead of trading for Butler).That way we are not losing any size in a trade and can upgrade at SG after season is done and Manu retires.
Old 01-12-17, 12:03 AM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

I do like Hayword...great player and excellent shooter, but not so good defense. I think it all lays on Manu. If he retires, then interesting off season, but I just don't see them doing anything until then. I think one of Pop's greatest attributes is Loyalty. His players know it and others know it when they come here. I remember his speech to the players during the 07 year from the championship video that came out after the season. He told the team there were going to be no saviors, no trades, so they were gonna have to do it themselves if they wanted to win. I feel that is what the culture is in the locker room now. I couldn't imagine one of the players in there feeling like they are gonna be moved. One of the best things I enjoy this year is watching the entire team during breaks, huddles or pre-game. They all look like they enjoy one another and love to play.
Old 01-12-17, 10:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

With the new CBA...Gordon is set to make a ton of money, way more than Kawhi. And a Butler trade would gut the roster. If he could be had, I'd take Rodney Hood...long, athletic swing guard who can play 3 positions at 6'8. He'd be absolutely nasty next to Leonard and Aldridge.

Small ball with Leonard playing the 4 with Green, Hood, Aldridge.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 01-12-17 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-13-17, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgar37 View Post
I do like Hayword...great player and excellent shooter, but not so good defense. I think it all lays on Manu. If he retires, then interesting off season, but I just don't see them doing anything until then. I think one of Pop's greatest attributes is Loyalty. His players know it and others know it when they come here. I remember his speech to the players during the 07 year from the championship video that came out after the season. He told the team there were going to be no saviors, no trades, so they were gonna have to do it themselves if they wanted to win. I feel that is what the culture is in the locker room now. I couldn't imagine one of the players in there feeling like they are gonna be moved. One of the best things I enjoy this year is watching the entire team during breaks, huddles or pre-game. They all look like they enjoy one another and love to play.
Gordon's defense is not bad... it is not the greatest... but it is decent.... He showed improvements under Coach Snyder and I think he would improve more with Pop at the lead.

Also, any major free agent SA brings in will stand to make more money than KL. I don't think that is going to stop the Spurs from going after a big name this offseason.
Old 01-13-17, 05:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Will the Spurs have max money cap space to attract or secure the services of one really good player or a couple nice places? I guess it pends on if Pau accepts his player option. But where would you put Gordon...at the 2? Lots of money out there next year, but what will guys want, excessive amounts of money on teams that'll never be true contenders or a little less money and play with the big boys?

Going to be an exciting free agent year...But I think we'll be waiting for Durant to make his decision before parts start moving.
Old 01-17-17, 05:56 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Will the Spurs have max money cap space to attract or secure the services of one really good player or a couple nice places? I guess it pends on if Pau accepts his player option. But where would you put Gordon...at the 2? Lots of money out there next year, but what will guys want, excessive amounts of money on teams that'll never be true contenders or a little less money and play with the big boys?

Going to be an exciting free agent year...But I think we'll be waiting for Durant to make his decision before parts start moving.
Gasol would probably have to go. Keep Dedmon and Lee on the cheap (if they exercise their option). Re-sign Simmons but let Mills go (he is too one dimensional). Try to move Anderson and keep Bertans (want to see him play more).

You can play Gordo at the 2 or the 3 (start at the 2 but have him go out at 6 min mark and then come back in with the bench players for a bit to play 2 or 3 (whatever is needed).
Old 01-21-17, 12:35 AM
SR Team Goof

I was going to side with your comment about trying to cut Gasol loose until I saw the article where he plans to opt in for next year. With Gasol gone and the possibility of Manu retiring, the Spurs could have gone after Hayward and maybe have enough to troll for Serge Ibaka. But I do agree that the Spurs may need to do something with Anderson because he's losing PT to Simmons and Bertans needs more exposure on the court.

My question is even if Gasol does opt in for next year, can he still be included in a trade scenario?
Old 01-21-17, 10:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I was going to side with your comment about trying to cut Gasol loose until I saw the article where he plans to opt in for next year. With Gasol gone and the possibility of Manu retiring, the Spurs could have gone after Hayward and maybe have enough to troll for Serge Ibaka. But I do agree that the Spurs may need to do something with Anderson because he's losing PT to Simmons and Bertans needs more exposure on the court.

My question is even if Gasol does opt in for next year, can he still be included in a trade scenario?
I believe he can, but you'd have to find someone willing to take on his hefty salary. Well maybe not that hefty considering next year's cap. And I suppose the Spurs being the Spurs wouldn't just deal him to a crap team. He also knows this could be his last big paycheck. But a team looking for a great veteran for a year that has young assets that a team would give up to Spurs...that the Spurs are actually seeking.

If Philly wasn't in Philly, then there could be something there for him as a leader and a position wide open for him at the power forward spot. But 16.2 million shouldn't be too hard to unload for one year of veteran, hall of fame service and knowledge.
Old 01-21-17, 10:56 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
I believe he can, but you'd have to find someone willing to take on his hefty salary. Well maybe not that hefty considering next year's cap. And I suppose the Spurs being the Spurs wouldn't just deal him to a crap team. He also knows this could be his last big paycheck. But a team looking for a great veteran for a year that has young assets that a team would give up to Spurs...that the Spurs are actually seeking.

If Philly wasn't in Philly, then there could be something there for him as a leader and a position wide open for him at the power forward spot. But 16.2 million shouldn't be too hard to unload for one year of veteran, hall of fame service and knowledge.
Philly was the team I was thinking of as well. I read somewhere that due to their youth they really needed a veteran presence there for locker room and mental stability. But it would be replacing one big with another with Noel, Embiid, Okafor and Holmes already on the roster. My eye was on Noel and maybe getting a young complimentary forward in a trade but I guess the 76ers have already taken that step toward veteran leadership by taking the much travelled Mo Williams off the waiver board. I guess it was a nice pipe dream until I woke up.
Old 01-21-17, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I like the idea of Nikola Mirotic from the Bulls in some kind of trade involving Anderson and some stash.
Old 01-30-17, 05:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

GoodBye to Slow-Mo trade him for a future 2nd round pick.
Old 02-07-17, 06:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I would definitely look forward to trading some of our guys

The ones that could be had with the way they are playing or because they are about to be free agents and their position is tricky at the moment

LMA (He has been way too inconsistent)
Anderson: doesnt suck but he is too mellow. Davis and simmons deserve the time

Gasol: Great shooter/scorer and brings leadership and defensive boards, but whenever he is on the court our d is lousy.

Trade that should happen in order to keep us competitive
MILLS: Contract about to run out and he doesnt really deserve a huge raise when we have dejounte probably ready to get the starting role next year> Lets use the money on a higher impact player

Player that should always be avaliable
Danny Green: Might be really solid defensively but having a player who actually can ball out there could help us a lot more than we think

Simmons: If the offer is right and he works as a bonus to make it work then losing the juice would be a sensitive yet interesting price we should be willing to pay

Dedmon kawhi lee dejounte davis have all exceeded expectations and should be completely safe

Untradeable: Manu with his deal just about to run out
Should be traded but wont: Parkers deal has another season remaining and even though he can still play some and has some really good nights he is just not a dependable guy anymore
Add to that the fact that he wants to play beyond that time and it makes me cringe
Old 02-07-17, 06:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

By the way kawhi is obviously untradeable too but i included him on the exceeding expectations group like he does every year

Manu on the other hand could get traded if it was for his actual playing but as a front office it just wouldnt make sense since he is about to retire and has played pretty good for an almost forty yr old guard
Old 02-07-17, 09:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs backbon View Post
By the way kawhi is obviously untradeable too but i included him on the exceeding expectations group like he does every year

Manu on the other hand could get traded if it was for his actual playing but as a front office it just wouldnt make sense since he is about to retire and has played pretty good for an almost forty yr old guard
I don't think any trade discussion can be complete with considering the cap situation, so I've annotated your list with the player's salary info.

First, here are some experpts from an excellent article from Basketball Insiders with the latest info on the cap situation with the new CBA (I very highly recommend you click on reading it. It is good work and I hate block quoting it here.):

Quote:

The NBA still projects next year’s salary cap to be $103 million, but a number of rule changes could diminish spending power across the league, detailed previously by Basketball Insiders (here and here).

Specifically, the salary scale for first-round picks will climb. Empty roster charges for every open spot under 13 will be the rookie minimum salary of $815,615.

Additionally, minimum salaries rise to as high as $2.3 million, depending on years of service. Any players under contract below that threshold will receive bumps in pay.

A team that can get to $11.7 million in cap space would have the same spending power if they stay over the cap and use their exceptions. The most they’d be able to pay a single player would be $8.4 million in the first year, but they may have more flexibility above the cap.

Maximum salaries project to be $25.8 million for players with up to six years of experience, $30.1 million for those with seven to nine years and $36.1 million with 10 or more years.

The following is an estimate of the maximum cap space teams would have if they let all their free agents go, with a draft order based on the standings as of December 20, with ties broken randomly.

San Antonio: $25.7M cap space if Spurs don't re-sign:
Pau Gasol, Manu Ginobili, Patty Mills, Dewayne Dedmon, David Lee, Jonathon Simmons, Bryn Forbes, Nicolas Laprovittola
San Antonio Spurs Summer 2017 Cap situation:

With the recent (and obvious) info that Gasol would pick up his player option, that means gutting the team only releases $15.7M in cap room, which is only $4M more than using the MLE and bi-annual exceptions)

I would definitely look forward to trading some of our guys

The ones that could be had with the way they are playing or because they are about to be free agents and their position is tricky at the moment

LMA (He has been way too inconsistent)$21,461,010 - trading LMA to a team with cap space would open up enough space to sign a max level free agent while once again gutting the team of our own free agents. This option is really only viable if Pop/Buford want to do a second round of rebuilding. I don't see how the Spurs would remain a championship contender in the near term, but it could lay the foundation for an even more extended run than with 32 year old LMA

Anderson: doesnt suck but he is too mellow. Davis and simmons deserve the time ($2.1M - This is practically a minimum contract, so I think this is a guy who is getting paid pretty close to his true market value. I don't think a salary dump trade would cost the Spurs any assets. At this point, I really don't see any future for him)

Gasol: Great shooter/scorer and brings leadership and defensive boards, but whenever he is on the court our d is lousy. $16.2M player option - I don't see how the Spurs could dump his salary without having to package some other asset with it.

Trade that should happen in order to keep us competitive
MILLS: Contract about to run out and he doesnt really deserve a huge raise when we have dejounte probably ready to get the starting role next year> Lets use the money on a higher impact player (Free Agent Cap hold ~$5M - That is a very attractive number if they try to salary dump to sign a free agent. They can hold on to him to try to preserve some depth, while not significantly hurting their cap space. This is how SA could keep Danny Green when they went after LMA.

Player that should always be avaliable
Danny Green: Might be really solid defensively but having a player who actually can ball out there could help us a lot more than we think $10M - This is easily one of the best contracts in the NBA today. The Spurs would have to get a lot back to make this worth while. Given his contract value and talent I am in firmly in the hold on to this guy camp.

Simmons: If the offer is right and he works as a bonus to make it work then losing the juice would be a sensitive yet interesting price we should be willing to pay Cap hold $1M - Cutting him to get under the cap would be just stupid. Like Mills, his cap number has significant value

Dedmon $3M player option lee ($1.6M player option) Have these two played their way into better deals in FA if they choose to opt out? If they do decide to opt out, and the Spurs are over the cap, they can only sign tiny raises (120%). They are potential cap casualties

dejounte davis have all exceeded expectations and should be completely safe $1.2M - in the NBA, rookie scale contracts are gold. I agree, no trade

Untradeable: Manu with his deal just about to run out Manu's cap hold is going to be something like $20M, so if the Spurs decide to dump for FAs, he's the first to go.

Should be traded but wont: Parkers deal has another season remaining and even though he can still play some and has some really good nights he is just not a dependable guy anymore
Add to that the fact that he wants to play beyond that time and it makes me cringe $15M - Parker's contract isn't that bad under the new cap regime, but it would still be too hard to move that number without giving something else up in return. Still, if the Spurs decide to go rebuild 2.0, then dumping his salary is a viable option. I just can't see Parker getting shoved out the door that way.
Old 02-07-17, 09:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

So the TL;DR - Given the Spurs salary cap situation, the team has two strategies. Either dump Patty Mills, Dewayne Dedmon, David Lee, Jonathon Simmons, Bryn Forbes along with some kind of package to trade away Parker or Gasol to go big game hunting on the FA market, or stand pat, go over the cap and re-sign our own FAs along with an MLE signing.

However, after a little reflection, looking at the roster, a gut and dump strategy to go after FAs doesn't really gut the roster as much as I initially thought. Figuring out a way to dump Gasol and/or Parker while trading LMA would put the Spurs in a good position to sign a max level FA. In fact, if the Spurs just traded those three players, they would be able to bring in a combined $50M in returned salary or cap space without giving up any of the teams other FAs.

Last edited by b1gdon; 02-07-17 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 12:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
So the TL;DR - Given the Spurs salary cap situation, the team has two strategies. Either dump Patty Mills, Dewayne Dedmon, David Lee, Jonathon Simmons, Bryn Forbes along with some kind of package to trade away Parker or Gasol to go big game hunting on the FA market, or stand pat, go over the cap and re-sign our own FAs along with an MLE signing.

However, after a little reflection, looking at the roster, a gut and dump strategy to go after FAs doesn't really gut the roster as much as I initially thought. Figuring out a way to dump Gasol and/or Parker while trading LMA would put the Spurs in a good position to sign a max level FA. In fact, if the Spurs just traded those three players, they would be able to bring in a combined $50M in returned salary or cap space without giving up any of the teams other FAs.
All of these scenarios where the team trades Parker are pointless. Parker will never be traded. He will retire a spur.
Old 02-09-17, 03:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
All of these scenarios where the team trades Parker are pointless. Parker will never be traded. He will retire a spur.
I would have said that before I looked at the cap situation, but if I were the Spurs GM and I could flip LMA, Parker and Gasol into a multi trade for an all star and then sign a top level free agent of the caliber of Chris Paul or Blake Griffin, I'd have to do it. Especially considering the Spurs would be able to retain their current depth.

Imagine this team:

John Wall, D. Murray
Danny Green, P. Mills
Kawhi Leonard, Jonathan Simmons
Blake Griffin, Davis Bertans, David Lee
Dwayne Dedmon, FA Center
Old 02-10-17, 10:39 AM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

Excellent post on the roster with their salary and terms. I just don't see Danny Green moving as of yet. His defense has always been exceptional and at the 2 Guard you have to have someone like that going into the playoffs. His shot has come back from last year, so really don't see him going anywhere, and really wouldn't want him to. Parker is moot point, he's gonna retire there. Aldridge is a tricky one since his game has certainly changed a lot. I would love for him to take charge and be more aggressive. I feel he could go for the right package. With that being said I think Mills is a nice addition in a trade scenario. I really like his game, but for the right deal, he could be expendable...especially with Murray on his heels ready to go. Lee, Dedmon, Bertans, Simmons won't be traded IMO especially this year. Perhaps the playoff push will be their test to see what happens next year if applicable on their contracts. Gasol will be there for his contract, I'm quite sure that was worked out prior to his signing. I think he will play out his career here and retire. Plus side his FG's, offensive awareness and size for blocking out, shot blocking and rebounding. His minus is doing all the above mentioned against top big men. He has lost a step in rotating but gets the job done.
Kyle Anderson I believe is the odd man out and could be in a package as well with LA and Mills and is where I see any movement on the roster. I would be interested to see possible realistic trade scenarios.
Old 02-10-17, 09:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I would have said that before I looked at the cap situation, but if I were the Spurs GM and I could flip LMA, Parker and Gasol into a multi trade for an all star and then sign a top level free agent of the caliber of Chris Paul or Blake Griffin, I'd have to do it. Especially considering the Spurs would be able to retain their current depth.

Imagine this team:

John Wall, D. Murray
Danny Green, P. Mills
Kawhi Leonard, Jonathan Simmons
Blake Griffin, Davis Bertans, David Lee
Dwayne Dedmon, FA Center
Man,
This lineup looks sooooo good on paper.

Tony is retiring a Spur.

Forget about it.
Old 02-11-17, 01:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Do we have the cap space to sign Dedmon if he opts out?
Old 02-12-17, 07:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Kawhi is going to need some help or the second round is as far as they're going. Another loss to a pitiful team is unacceptable! Some pieces need to be moved and quick.
Old 02-12-17, 07:37 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Danny Green drives me crazy. I don't care how good his defense is because his offense is dreadful.. Any time that guy puts the ball on the floor, pure crap ensues. Not all on Danny, that's just what I notice most.. Oh and Aldridge should restructure his contract because he isn't earning it. Softy.
Old 02-12-17, 07:48 PM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

I agree...but danny should be our fourth option in the starting lineup to score....we will need his defense...just wish the dude could score something...geez. I agree his offensive game inside the arc is horrid!!!! Yes I have no idea what's up with Aldridge but right now I wouldn't even have him in the starting lineup....His game has been dreadful all season. I wouldn't mind dumping his salary and have Gasol and Dedmon in the starting 5. Can't lose to a team like the Knicks and expect to contend.

I watched the OKC - GS game and even though OKC doesn't have the talent, they play with a whole lot of heart. I would rather lose a game like they did with all the heart than to lose like we did today with ZERO passion.
Old 02-12-17, 09:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I cant believe Nurkic was added for such little value. He is someone I wish we would have gone after as I think he could be a solid Center and would have had a year to grow. The biggest problem would of been how would it have effected Deadmon.
Old 02-12-17, 09:51 PM
Coach Hammons Water Boy

Yes he's looked pretty impressive...but I like Dedmon...just hope he stays with us as he's a free agent at the end of the year.
Old 02-13-17, 10:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I love Kawhi but him scoring 30 plus a night will catch up to him. And in the process I think it limits Aldridge's game, hence his effectiveness. Danny Green is way too one dimensional. I think he's an off the bench guy...put Simmons at the starting 2. At least he penetrates and cause havoc. Anderson I less effective than Bonner in his later years...he's useless! I'd even try Davis at small forward pending match up...But geez, this crap must stop! When's the trade deadline?
Old 02-13-17, 07:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Spurs Coaching staff Sucks!Time to Burn some of the Old Dried Wood.
Old 02-15-17, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgar37 View Post
I agree...but danny should be our fourth option in the starting lineup to score....we will need his defense...just wish the dude could score something...geez. I agree his offensive game inside the arc is horrid!!!! Yes I have no idea what's up with Aldridge but right now I wouldn't even have him in the starting lineup....His game has been dreadful all season. I wouldn't mind dumping his salary and have Gasol and Dedmon in the starting 5. Can't lose to a team like the Knicks and expect to contend.

I watched the OKC - GS game and even though OKC doesn't have the talent, they play with a whole lot of heart. I would rather lose a game like they did with all the heart than to lose like we did today with ZERO passion.
For what it is worth the Spurs have lost to the Knicks at least once 4 out of the last 5 years (including both years they went to the Finals in 13 and 14). Also, Aldridge's stats aren't too far off from last yr.
Gasol starting doesn't work. His defense sucks. I hope he comes off the bench when he gets back. I think Parker is the problem in the starting lineup. Teams know he's not a scorer so they lag off of him. Because of this players like Green and Aldridge suffer the most.
Old Today, 10:23 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ever notice that the Spurs never have anything enticing to make and impact trade year after year. It's usually just a plug and play type of person? Boris was probably the best guy in a while.
Old Today, 04:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Ever notice that the Spurs never have anything enticing to make and impact trade year after year. It's usually just a plug and play type of person? Boris was probably the best guy in a while.
Part of it is having such a good winning record that we are always drafting at the lower end.