News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-14, 02:27 AM
SR Team Goof

Boris Diaw can make an extra $500,000 by not gaining weight this season

The Spurs’ Boris Diaw loves a good meal. And a good glass of wine. I mean, if there was one guy who almost ate his way out of the league during the lockout it was Diaw, who came back just fat. There’s not really another word for it.

However, Diaw has gotten back in relative shape and has become a key part of the champion Spurs — his versatility of game and always making the smart pass was a real challenge for the Heat players in the Finals last season. Diaw is high IQ player and a perfect fit in Gregg Popovich’s system.

San Antonio just has to keep him in shape.

So they came up with a great incentive to do that — cash. From ESPN’s Amin Elhassan ($$):
• Most importantly, Diaw’s deal features $500,000 in annual performance bonuses in the form of a weight clause. Each season, he gets:
• $150,000 for weighing less than or equal to 254 pounds on Oct. 25
• $150,000 for weighing less than or equal to 254 pounds on the first Tuesday after the All-Star Game
• $200,000 for weighing less than or equal to 254 pounds on April 1
Brilliant.

I’m generally kind of a fan of performance-based bonuses in sports. There are some in the NBA, although because of the sparse number of genuinely elite players in the league they don’t have to generally accept them. Those players have options; NBA players have more leverage than the average NFL or MLB player in talks, just because of the nature of the game. (Plus, in the NBA if you give a guy a bonus for hitting a certain points said player might throw off your team balance and system as he shoots first to try and reach said goal. Team sports can make those kinds of bonuses more difficult.)

This one works.

I’m rooting for him to make it. Diaw just needs to cut out the refined carbs and sugar on the road… although I always find that easier said than done. Craft beers contain carbs.

Link: Boris Diaw can make an extra $500,000 by not gaining weight this season | ProBasketballTalk
Old 10-11-14, 07:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

That's funny. I wondered how the Spurs dealt with his weight issues after he plumped up in Charlotte. As active as he is, if he stays away from the northern French cuisine which is loaded with dairy fat (heavy cream, cheese and butter, butter and more butter) and where their beers come from (mostly Alsace) and sticks to the southern French recipes (Mediterranean) where seafood and chicken dominate and where things are more often flavored with citrus and wine, he should have no problem. Maybe they should put a clause in his contract that he can't go to northern France in the off season.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-12-14, 02:17 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I don't really understand these bonus clauses on basketball players. You should be in shape anyway especially during the season. Football players is a little different with OTAs and other related check ins with a very long off season. Basketball to me shouldn't have these structures in their deals. But that's just me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-13-14, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

$500000.00 will buy a lot of Lotta Burgers.
Old 10-13-14, 04:32 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Hey Boris:

How to Lose 30 Pounds in 24 Hours: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Weight

I'll take a 50-50 split.

You're welcome.
Old 12-30-14, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

With all the injuries, the Spurs simply need more quality minutes from Diaw.
Is his weight a problem? Who knows.
But I don't think it would be easy to make quick defensive rotations if I were carrying a 30-lb weight in my backpack!!!
Bottom line, he is still a good player when heavy, but he could serve the team MUCH better when he stops self indulging.
Old 12-31-14, 08:16 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

So far this year his game has deserted him. His FG% is down from .521 last year to .458 this year, His 3 point% is down to .320 v .402 and his effective field goal percentage is down to .508 v .559.

Not sure what's going on, but he really needs to figure it out soon.