News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 09-11-14, 09:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Which Spur needs a statue?

I'd say do it Spur style and make one with Duncan, Robinson, Parker and Manu! I'd say Pop, but he'd probably disapprove. Since those 4 are going to retire playing for only one team. Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-11-14, 11:26 PM
The Master Baiter

There is only one that needs a statue, and that's Duncan. None of the championships and success happens without him. I don't even think Pop becomes a HOF coach without him. Imagine Phil without MJ, Shaq or Kobe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-14, 06:45 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
There is only one that needs a statue, and that's Duncan. None of the championships and success happens without him. I don't even think Pop becomes a HOF coach without him. Imagine Phil without MJ, Shaq or Kobe.
I get that, it's just our Spurs always do things differently. With team first and last always in mind. Those guys will always be connected and associated as the greatest Spurs. Duncan is the man, but wouldn't it be great to see a Mt. Rushmore with those guys? Just another trend and first. Also remember that all those guys were key in previous finals. Just my 1 1/2 cents.
Old 09-12-14, 09:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Yea but how do you not have one for Dave ? Just Dave !!! Championships aside just take a look at the integrity he brought S.A. Its quite a list of what he has done for San Antonio . Mostly for his selflessness in giving back what the city and the franchise has given him . The others are easy picks but David is a no brainer . Thank you for your example to our children Mr. Robinson !!!

" 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001100 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110010 01110011 "
Old 09-12-14, 09:58 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I would say Austin Daye. He has more free time to pose.
Old 09-12-14, 10:04 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Spursreport members nominate Matt Bonner because you guys love him for sucking in the playoffs every year
Old 09-15-14, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

So, Austin & Matt, who would the other two be?
Old 09-15-14, 12:08 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
So, Austin & Matt, who would the other two be?
Tom Copa and Jack Haley
Old 09-15-14, 01:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racspur View Post
Yea but how do you not have one for Dave ? Just Dave !!! Championships aside just take a look at the integrity he brought S.A. Its quite a list of what he has done for San Antonio . Mostly for his selflessness in giving back what the city and the franchise has given him . The others are easy picks but David is a no brainer . Thank you for your example to our children Mr. Robinson !!!
I included Big 50...of course. Those 4 are our Staples. Remember, Iceman was a Bull first, but if you like you can throw him in there too.
Old 09-15-14, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Actually, Ice came from the Virginia Squires in bizarre loan set-up that turned into a Spur buyout.
Old 09-15-14, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Tom Copa and Jack Haley
Who?
Old 09-15-14, 05:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

How are you guys forgetting the best power forward ever to put on a spurs jersey.....Richard Freaking Jefferson. Not only did he raise the hopes of all casual spurs fans who knew nothing but his days as a net but he said Kawhi was no better than he was.
Old 09-15-14, 08:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izriel View Post
How are you guys forgetting the best power forward ever to put on a spurs jersey.....Richard Freaking Jefferson. Not only did he raise the hopes of all casual spurs fans who knew nothing but his days as a net but he said Kawhi was no better than he was.
Someone tie him tie him to a tree and shake all the leaves on him... Please! LMAO... hell, I'd give Bonner the nod before Jefferson. Jefferson was the garbage under the garbage bag!
Old 09-15-14, 08:19 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Who?
Look them up lol
Old 09-15-14, 08:20 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Someone tie him tie him to a tree and shake all the leaves on him... Please! LMAO... hell, I'd give Bonner the nod before Jefferson. Jefferson was the garbage under the garbage bag!
RJ is a SF not a PF
Old 09-15-14, 10:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

!!! Richard Jokerson !!!
Old 09-16-14, 07:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Look them up lol
Kids
Old 09-17-14, 10:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Kids
At my age I will consider this a compliment!
Old 09-17-14, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
RJ is a SF not a PF
I know that. Stating the fact that is take Bonner over Jefferson.
Old 09-18-14, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I know that. Stating the fact that is take Bonner over Jefferson.
Agree with you, Bonner has accomplished more for the franchise than RJ
ever did.
Old 09-18-14, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

the iceman.
Old 09-18-14, 03:03 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Using the Spurs report criteria. Iceman no rings. No statue. Bonner two rings. At least one statue.
Old 09-18-14, 04:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Using the Spurs report criteria. Iceman no rings. No statue. Bonner two rings. At least one statue.
There you go.
Old 09-19-14, 09:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
As much as we're not to particular about Bonner... He has been a staple in this organization. So obviously great teammate, great character and great community guy. Maybe going out on a limb, but I think he retires a Spur.
Old 09-19-14, 11:23 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
As much as we're not to particular about Bonner... He has been a staple in this organization. So obviously great teammate, great character and great community guy. Maybe going out on a limb, but I think he retires a Spur.
I think Bonner is viewed as the "new" Malik Rose" in this current Spurs era. The long time bench player who won two championships with the Spurs. A second round talent who hustles etc. BUT.....At least Malik contributed much much more than Bonner ever has or ever will. We all know the "real reason" why the spurs fans on here and at the games like him. It's very obvious and nothing related to basketball. I know I will get some heat over this but it's true
Old 09-21-14, 05:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I included Big 50...of course. Those 4 are our Staples. Remember, Iceman was a Bull first, but if you like you can throw him in there too.
Wow?!? Not only misinformation about the Iceman but never thought I'd see the day where he was thrown in as an after thought.
Old 09-21-14, 09:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
Wow?!? Not only misinformation about the Iceman but never thought I'd see the day where he was thrown in as an after thought.
What has he truly done as a Spur to deserve to be in on the statue? Wasn't my Era. I've only been a fan since '87.
Old 09-22-14, 08:35 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
What has he truly done as a Spur to deserve to be in on the statue? Wasn't my Era. I've only been a fan since '87.
HALL OF FAME (only one NBA season not as a Spur)
Old 09-22-14, 11:51 AM
SR Team Goof

I usually come into the SR forum at least twice a day to look for new topics, make my comments and move on. On this particular thread, I think Iíve read it on each visit since Mr. J posted it and moved on without comment until now. A statue to me means it is a representation or honor to commemorate an event, an entity or person on their accomplishments at that time or in life. The thing I canít get my head wrapped around is why would the Spurs want to isolate and honor one specific person, if it were to ever come about, for this honor when the Spurs organization represents what can come of life by working as a team, all vying for one ultimate goal, to be the best in their craft and as a team. Presently, the Spurs, as many teams do, recognize an individualís contributions to the Spurs goals by retiring their jersey number and displaying it proudly with all the other Spurs players who preceded them for this honor, with the usual fanfare event before a game to honor the person themselves and with family and friends in attendance.

But I think what everyone who has commented thus far is finding it difficult to single out one specific person who stands head and shoulders above everyone else, at least in everyoneís minds. I donít think you can do that when the Spurs are the ultimate in team concept. No one person is responsible for the 15 50+ win seasons that the Spurs presently enjoy or the 5 NBA championships trophies which will be displayed magnificently in the AT&T Center or the following the Spurs have worldwide. Of course, there are players who have stood out because of their stats or honors of All-Star or league/finals MVP awards but the Spurs arenít about anyone specific person. Besides the 5 players the Spurs put on the court, they have always had a good to great bench to support them. Itís always a team effort and it goes far beyond the people who wear the jerseys, it goes to the Spurs ownership group and majority owner Peter Holt, who sign the pay checks to Coach Pop and his predecessors to RC Buford and his staff for recruiting players to the vendors, ushers, photographers, cleaning crews, Spurs season ticket services staff who keep people in the stands and the community at large. That is why the Spurs organization has continually been voted the top franchise in the NBA if not the best in all sports. The Spurs continue to spread the Ďteamí concept into the community with their support of education and food drives and the fight for deadly diseases. Thatís why you hear the comments around the league of ďBe like the SpursĒ and many have tapped into the Spurs by recruiting free agent players to coaching and management staff members.

The honor of having a statue to honor the accomplishments of the Spurs cannot lie on the shoulders of one specific person, itís always been a team concept and I pray to God that it never changes.

So, I come to my input to this thread regarding the erection of a statue: I cannot and will not single out one person to represent the Spurs. If a statue were to be established, it should be:

1. the Spurs seal with maybe a plaque that says something like ďThis statue represents the sum total of efforts by all Spurs players, management and their surrounding community, not only those people who live in San Antonio but those people worldwide who support the silver and black who are the San Antonio SpursĒ; or

2. Maybe a group statue of John Schaefer, BJ ďRedĒ McCombs, Art Burdick and Angelo Drossos, the businessmen who rescued the franchise from oblivion in the old ABA days, relocated the team to San Antonio and pumped life into the organization that is the San Antonio Spurs, the best team in all professional sports.

I may rant and rave but thatís how I feel. I now get off my soapbox so you may resume your splendid day. May God Bless all.
Old 09-22-14, 12:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
HALL OF FAME (only one NBA season not as a Spur)
Then I'd hate to see the Boston Celtics statue.... That would be a monstrosity!
Old 09-22-14, 01:49 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I usually come into the SR forum at least twice a day to look for new topics, make my comments and move on. On this particular thread, I think Iíve read it on each visit since Mr. J posted it and moved on without comment until now. A statue to me means it is a representation or honor to commemorate an event, an entity or person on their accomplishments at that time or in life. The thing I canít get my head wrapped around is why would the Spurs want to isolate and honor one specific person, if it were to ever come about, for this honor when the Spurs organization represents what can come of life by working as a team, all vying for one ultimate goal, to be the best in their craft and as a team. Presently, the Spurs, as many teams do, recognize an individualís contributions to the Spurs goals by retiring their jersey number and displaying it proudly with all the other Spurs players who preceded them for this honor, with the usual fanfare event before a game to honor the person themselves and with family and friends in attendance.

But I think what everyone who has commented thus far is finding it difficult to single out one specific person who stands head and shoulders above everyone else, at least in everyoneís minds. I donít think you can do that when the Spurs are the ultimate in team concept. No one person is responsible for the 15 50+ win seasons that the Spurs presently enjoy or the 5 NBA championships trophies which will be displayed magnificently in the AT&T Center or the following the Spurs have worldwide. Of course, there are players who have stood out because of their stats or honors of All-Star or league/finals MVP awards but the Spurs arenít about anyone specific person. Besides the 5 players the Spurs put on the court, they have always had a good to great bench to support them. Itís always a team effort and it goes far beyond the people who wear the jerseys, it goes to the Spurs ownership group and majority owner Peter Holt, who sign the pay checks to Coach Pop and his predecessors to RC Buford and his staff for recruiting players to the vendors, ushers, photographers, cleaning crews, Spurs season ticket services staff who keep people in the stands and the community at large. That is why the Spurs organization has continually been voted the top franchise in the NBA if not the best in all sports. The Spurs continue to spread the Ďteamí concept into the community with their support of education and food drives and the fight for deadly diseases. Thatís why you hear the comments around the league of ďBe like the SpursĒ and many have tapped into the Spurs by recruiting free agent players to coaching and management staff members.

The honor of having a statue to honor the accomplishments of the Spurs cannot lie on the shoulders of one specific person, itís always been a team concept and I pray to God that it never changes.

So, I come to my input to this thread regarding the erection of a statue: I cannot and will not single out one person to represent the Spurs. If a statue were to be established, it should be:

1. the Spurs seal with maybe a plaque that says something like ďThis statue represents the sum total of efforts by all Spurs players, management and their surrounding community, not only those people who live in San Antonio but those people worldwide who support the silver and black who are the San Antonio SpursĒ; or

2. Maybe a group statue of John Schaefer, BJ ďRedĒ McCombs, Art Burdick and Angelo Drossos, the businessmen who rescued the franchise from oblivion in the old ABA days, relocated the team to San Antonio and pumped life into the organization that is the San Antonio Spurs, the best team in all professional sports.

I may rant and rave but thatís how I feel. I now get off my soapbox so you may resume your splendid day. May God Bless all.
Point taken. My view without the "Iceman" there is no David Robinson. Without David Robinson there is no Tim Duncan. Without Tim Duncan there are no trophies. If there was a statue then it would be all three in my view. Seems like people forget Ice and Dave too quickly on here.
Old 09-22-14, 01:51 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Then I'd hate to see the Boston Celtics statue.... That would be a monstrosity!
Well they have been around a lot longer than the Spurs. They also have 17 trophies too. It would be to come up with a top three for them. Easy here in SA. Three players and three players only
Old 09-22-14, 01:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Point taken. My view without the "Iceman" there is no David Robinson. Without David Robinson there is no Tim Duncan. Without Tim Duncan there are no trophies. If there was a statue then it would be all three in my view. Seems like people forget Ice and Dave too quickly on here.
Didn't forget Ice, just never seen him play for the Spurs personally. My tenure didn't start till the David Robinson Era. So from my viewpoint I couldn't say he should or shouldn't be one there. I just needed some clarification from someone who might know more about Gervin and his time with the Spurs. Hell, I live in Cali and was a Laker fan til Magic had to retire. It's funny because I became a Spurs fan cause I liked their colors! But I'm glad I did.
Old 09-22-14, 02:17 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Exactly, I agree 110%. This should not even be up for debate. A top 10, possibly top 5 player of all time. Nothing happens without TD, not one ring. I would love to see a statue of Timmy holding the ball (like he does every game before tip off)
Old 09-22-14, 02:45 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Option 1: The Coyote

Option 2: The rock pounder pounding the rock
Old 09-22-14, 04:28 PM
The Master Baiter

I think the whole "Spurs Win as Team" thing is a cop out for those whose favorite player was someone other than Tim. Gervin was great, but he was an offense only player. Robinson was great, but didn't have that extra gear. Manu and Tony aren't even worthy of the conversation. Tim has/had everything and more. Even today, if Tim went down to injury, the Spurs don't win the Finals. They don't even get there.

If you want to recognize the good players, you retire their jerseys.
Old 09-22-14, 05:36 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
I think the whole "Spurs Win as Team" thing is a cop out for those whose favorite player was someone other than Tim. Gervin was great, but he was an offense only player. Robinson was great, but didn't have that extra gear. Manu and Tony aren't even worthy of the conversation. Tim has/had everything and more. Even today, if Tim went down to injury, the Spurs don't win the Finals. They don't even get there.

If you want to recognize the good players, you retire their jerseys.
Agreed, I loved Gervin and Drob! Awesome peeps and really helped bring a passion for basketball to SA but no Timmy = no rings. PERIOD. Gotta give props where due. Some folks to this day (including Spurs fans) seem to easily forget how great Timmy really is. The best player post MJ era. And that era ended almost 20 years ago. No one player in the NBA has accomplished as much as Timmy has since....dude is beyond a legend
Old 09-22-14, 05:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Why don't you just do a walk of fame like they do on Hollywood Blvd with hand impressions and a signature. For guys like Johnny Moore and Dwayne Schintzus, get their kids to do it. They don't take as long to make and are pretty much pigeon proof. You could even make a double tile concrete pour for Kawhi.
Old 09-22-14, 06:08 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I agree if it had to go with one player it is Duncan. Of course bar none on that criteria of just one. All I was saying was without the two Hall of Famers(Gervin,Robinson)...without the two NBA Top 50 players of all time (Ice and Admiral at that time).......there is no San Antonio SPURS team in San Antonio period. I would be in favor of a three player statue like this: Duncan with two arms up one with the NBA trophy and other one with his Finals MVP trophy. Robinson reaching out for a left handed block. Gervin doing his patented finger roll. That's a classic image of all those players. And hate me all you want on my opinion. I grew up as a kid watching Ice, watching the Admiral as a teenager and Duncan is my age exactly.......I have witnessed in person 3 awesome and great NBA players. Not just SA Spur players. Not just Duncan being great. 3 great players! As far as the comment of "retiring the jerseys" of just the good players....that's not Ice and DRob. More than good easily. TP and Manu are below those legends as much as I like them. While I view the Big 3 as the "triplets" of the NBA like the Cowboys had their own NFL set of "triplets" in Dallas........These guys are the cream of the crop. Basketball royalty. The city of San Antonio and Spurs Nation Worldwide should honor these legendary players. #44,#50,#21 that's the silver and black's foundation. That's the statue that to me is the right tribute.
Old 09-22-14, 07:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I agree if it had to go with one player it is Duncan. Of course bar none on that criteria of just one. All I was saying was without the two Hall of Famers(Gervin,Robinson)...without the two NBA Top 50 players of all time (Ice and Admiral at that time).......there is no San Antonio SPURS team in San Antonio period. I would be in favor of a three player statue like this: Duncan with two arms up one with the NBA trophy and other one with his Finals MVP trophy. Robinson reaching out for a left handed block. Gervin doing his patented finger roll. That's a classic image of all those players. And hate me all you want on my opinion. I grew up as a kid watching Ice, watching the Admiral as a teenager and Duncan is my age exactly.......I have witnessed in person 3 awesome and great NBA players. Not just SA Spur players. Not just Duncan being great. 3 great players! As far as the comment of "retiring the jerseys" of just the good players....that's not Ice and DRob. More than good easily. TP and Manu are below those legends as much as I like them. While I view the Big 3 as the "triplets" of the NBA like the Cowboys had their own NFL set of "triplets" in Dallas........These guys are the cream of the crop. Basketball royalty. The city of San Antonio and Spurs Nation Worldwide should honor these legendary players. #44,#50,#21 that's the silver and black's foundation. That's the statue that to me is the right tribute.
Sounds good to me!
Old 09-22-14, 09:18 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Why don't you just do a walk of fame like they do on Hollywood Blvd with hand impressions and a signature. For guys like Johnny Moore and Dwayne Schintzus, get their kids to do it. They don't take as long to make and are pretty much pigeon proof. You could even make a double tile concrete pour for Kawhi.
Johnny Moore being compared to the late Dwayne Schintzuis? Gimme a break. That's an insult. Moore was a very good player. Dwayne was a total bust!
Old 09-22-14, 10:09 PM
SR Team Goof

I admired Ice while he played in the ABA and then on to the NBA with the Spurs. I never could understand how a guy as skinny as he was could get to the basket as regular as he or shoot with such accuracy. Gervin was a smooth customer and well deserving of the nickname. I came to live in San Antonio when DRob came to town and watched every one of his games. He could patrol and play that lane with the best of players. Then thereís Timmy D. When it was determined the Spurs won the first pick in the 1997 draft, I think I jumped higher off the couch then I ever have. And San Antonio has maintained its stature in professional sports at a high degree ever since. I guess you couldnít go wrong if any one or all three had statues erected in their honor.

You know, for a pro team to be great, they have to endure some failures or a much better word might be disappointments when going after a player. Dwayne Schintzus, at the time, came with a lot of expectation but didnít rise to the level that was expected. Iíd like to think that Schintzus served a purpose in Spurs history and his failure to perform at a high level may have provided Spurs management with a lesson on what to look for in their future draft picks or trades. We may never know if the Spurs management learned anything from drafting him but I believe in some way Dwayne Schintzus contributed. He may not have been great but some guys do have their limitations. However, he did stay in the league for many years and with a few other ball clubs before losing his life to leukemia at the young age of 43. You live and learn.
Old 09-22-14, 10:21 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
If there were going to be three, then yes, I agree. And eventually, there may be three statues erected. But the first will go to Tim. Although Tim would never say this, I think making a statue that he has to share with others is a HUGE disservice to his greatness. He deserves his own.
Old 09-23-14, 10:56 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

spurs need a statue with this concept... featuring ice, david, timmy, parker, manu, pop, (and maybe others surrounding that core)