News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-14, 07:22 AM
SR Team Goof

Spurs interested in Mexicoís Gustavo Ayon

Gustavo Ayon has played for four teams in his three NBA seasons, and finished last year as a member of the Atlanta Hawks. His numbers were underwhelming, but size is always given multiple chances at the professional level. So, even at 29 years of age, his 6í10Ē frame was always going to continue to get some serious looks.

Ayon currently only has offers to play overseas next season, but he will be playing for Mexico in the FIBA World Cup which begins on Friday. A strong showing there could generate some newfound NBA interest, although one team reportedly has seen enough, to the point where adding Ayon for next season may be a real possibility.

From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Interesting rumble just dribbled in on eve of FIBA World Cup: Reigning champs San Antonio have registered interest in Mexicoís Gustavo Ayon
Spurs, Iím told, still determined to re-sign Aussie C Aron Baynes but also like Mexicoís Ayon, whoís among top free agents in FIBA World Cup
Baynes averaged 9.3 minutes per game in 54 regular season appearances for San Antonio last year, and appeared in 14 playoff games as well, where he averaged 7.2 minutes per contest.

If San Antonio believes Ayon could be an upgrade for some or all of those minutes, they may take a chance on him. And, itís worth noting that it would be very Spurs-like to snatch him up before he has a chance to have even a single breakout performance in international play over the next couple of weeks.

Link to article: Report: Spurs interested in Mexicoís Gustavo Ayon | ProBasketballTalk
Old 08-30-14, 10:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

If Gustavo Ayon is an upgrade to a player on your team, that player probably doesn't belong in the NBA.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-14, 12:18 PM
Herman Cain of the board

They have liked this guy since way before he came to the NBA. I'm not surprised by their interest in him
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-14, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Still, like the Spurs fans need anything more to cheer their beloved Spurs... A true Latino would be the icing on the cake. I know we have Manu, but he's not from Mexico. They'd be adding a little more authentic Spice to the team.
Old 08-30-14, 02:27 PM
The Master Baiter

As a Latino, I couldn't care less if he's Latino if he's just a stiff. Get someone who can play. I'll be a Spurs fan for another 35 years either way.
Old 08-30-14, 03:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Still, like the Spurs fans need anything more to cheer their beloved Spurs... A true Latino would be the icing on the cake. I know we have Manu, but he's not from Mexico. They'd be adding a little more authentic Spice to the team.
Being 3/4 Hispanic and 1/4 German I would agree only if he can contribute something on the court.
Old 08-30-14, 06:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Does Ayers need a back-up?

NO!
Old 08-30-14, 07:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Small sample size, but he looks very much like a Spurs-type player.

Old 08-30-14, 07:39 PM
SR Team Goof

Based on these two clips, I’d have to agree with jackc and wonder why Ayon isn’t wearing the silver and black yet. However, two games don’t necessarily solidify a position on the Spurs which I think Austin Daye can attest to now since he might be on the verge of being waived, I’d image. Ayon looks to possess some pretty good offensive moves and capabilities, ie., passing, outside shooting, creating a shot, interior offensive game which looked impressive. These two clips look to be of games played a year apart (2/10/2013 and 2/11/2014) and based on these, I’d have to wonder if his best potential lies during the month of February and if not, what might be holding this guy back. Aside from that, he looked good. With the Spurs being linked to two rumors now (Ayon and Ray Allen), is something a-brewing in the Spurs camp when we already have 14 active, guaranteed contracts (I think)?
Old 08-30-14, 10:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Being 3/4 Hispanic and 1/4 German I would agree only if he can contribute something on the court.
That's the beauty of being a Spurs player... As long as the effort is there, they'll love him cause he's a Spur!
Old 08-30-14, 11:57 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
That's the beauty of being a Spurs player... As long as the effort is there, they'll love him cause he's a Spur!
And stay out of Pop's doghouse.

Old 08-31-14, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

A few more. Again, small sample size but he seems to move very well without the ball and comfortable putting the ball on the court with a short-to-midrange J. Very nice court vision as well. Not sure how he is compared to Tiago on offense, but he definitely seems less stiff. On D, he appears to be a pretty good help defender but didn't see much of his 1-on-1 defense.

Much better hands than Ayres.

Last edited by jackc852; 08-31-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-31-14, 05:31 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Mexico got beat by Slovenia, but Gustavo was the top scorer from both teams with 23 pts.
Slovenia vs. Mexico - Box Score - August 31, 2014 - ESPN
Old 08-31-14, 08:27 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Please get rid of Ayres. I gave up on bonner lol
Old 09-01-14, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Please get rid of Ayres. I gave up on bonner lol
It is about time!!
Old 09-02-14, 09:55 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

he moves well, and it appears he is the engine of our (unfortunately not so good) mexican team... but, how is his defense?? if he can defend, i really hope spurs sign him. that could mean spurs coverage on my country channels/news... i hate they always kiss lebron team arses and kobe lakers arses before...
Old 09-02-14, 12:15 PM
SR Team Goof

For those who are interested, FIBA action tomorrow (3Sep) at 6:30AM (Central time) between Mexico (Ayon) and Australia (Baynes) on NBA-TV.
Old 09-02-14, 12:42 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

great... i can imagine some statement banging from aron lolol :-)
Old 09-02-14, 07:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I want Baynes back. Ayon wouldn't be terrible. Ayers is terrible. just terrible.
Old 09-02-14, 08:49 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Trade ayres!
Old 09-03-14, 12:27 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I never saw enough of this guy to have an opinion on him vs. Ayres, but Ayres is not nearly as bad as people seem to think.
Old 09-03-14, 03:00 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I never saw enough of this guy to have an opinion on him vs. Ayres, but Ayres is not nearly as bad as people seem to think.
"Hands of Stone" Ayres? He didn't even do very well in summer league either. Not to warrant his salary
Old 09-03-14, 04:33 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
"Hands of Stone" Ayres? He didn't even do very well in summer league either. Not to warrant his salary
Your head must be exploding right now. Ayres is making more than Bonner is.

The Spurs value the "system" guys. Ayres and Bonner are those kind of guys. They come to work, don't complain and are ready to contribute whether they played the last game or haven't played in 30 games.
Old 09-03-14, 07:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Baynes was a beast offensively, certainly helping his market value this tournament. Ayon couldn't stop him. Someone needs to teach Baynes how to play pick and roll defense though...
Old 09-03-14, 09:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

cant fix hands of stone.
Old 09-03-14, 11:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Going by the reports, it sounds like Aron Baynes seriously shut down Ayon in the Mexico matchup with Australia.
Old 09-03-14, 11:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Baynesy did well to restrict him but it was his own offence that did the damage as Ayon had early fouls and never recovered.
Old 09-04-14, 08:38 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i watched a few minutes of the game... and while ayon was strugling, i was impressed by a secuence where ayon run with the ball in a fast break (was fouled and almost hurt his foot) but was suprised to see he actually run pretty decent the floor...
Old 09-05-14, 03:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

he would actually be a slight upgrade over banes. The thing about the big banger is im not quite sure if actually know how to play basketball...I mean he knows how to be big that's for sure. But it doesnt seem to come naturally for him. Gustavo is a decent role player that has shown flashes of being pretty good.

Last edited by firefox86182; 09-05-14 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-06-14, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Usa is destroying Mťxico, but ayon is doing good against usa bigs, and is 1/6 from the line lolol spurs material

Last edited by JuanCaca; 09-06-14 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-07-14, 07:21 AM
SR Team Goof

Gustavo Ayon prefers to play in NBA over Europe next season

Link to article: Report: Gustavo Ayon prefers to play in NBA over Europe next season | ProBasketballTalk

Gustavo Ayon was the one bright spot in Mexicoís 86-63 loss to Team USA on Saturday, finishing with 25 points on 11-of-19 shooting, to go along with eight rebounds.

That performance may draw some attention from NBA teams in terms of considering adding Ayon for next season. But as of now, the offers are far more lucrative to play overseas.

From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:

ESPN sources say Gustavo Ayon certainly prefers to play in NBA next season but at this point his offers from Europe have simply been richer

Ayon has been handful for USA bigs even though theyíre obviously zeroing in on him. Yet I suspect heíll pass on NBA unless offers improve

The Spurs recently registered interest, but itís unclear if things ever got to the offer stage, and if so, whether San Antonio would commit enough to match the ones that are more concrete at this time.

Ayon appeared confident as Mexicoís best player against Team USA, and put in a strong showing, even with Anthony Davis patrolling the paint defensively. That will need to translate in his workouts for NBA teams if he wants to improve his stateside reputation, and entice someone to give him an offer that will rival those heíll receive to play in Europe next season.
Old 09-07-14, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

So why doesn't ESPN give us a ball park estimate of what teams over seas are offering him so that the situation can be put into NBA context? Right now all we can assume is that it is something better than the League minimum by enough to take his services to Europe. The Spurs still need to negotiate a contract with Baynes which could jump a little from their initial offer. My amateur guess is that the Spurs, if the interest even proves to be substantiated, are willing to go as high as a Jeff Ayes salary.
Old 09-08-14, 09:45 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

HoopsHype reports he's signed with Real Madrid, they link to this story (In Spanish)
Old 09-08-14, 09:56 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i dont believe it, still nothing in mexico news, tv azteca deportes mexico is always covering gustavo...

and what about this? Update: Free agent Ayon hopes Spurs rumors are true, says he has only one offer | Project Spurs
Old 09-08-14, 11:07 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
i dont believe it, still nothing in mexico news, tv azteca deportes mexico is always covering gustavo...
and what about this? Update: Free agent Ayon hopes Spurs rumors are true, says he has only one offer | Project Spurs
That one remark from your Project Spurs article that says “Ayon now is saying he hopes the rumor the San Antonio Spurs are interested in him are true…” I interpret to mean Ayon hasn’t heard from the Spurs personally. If the Spurs were interested, they probably talked to Ayon’s agent who may not be sharing that info with his client and instead is looking for more ducats in a contract elsewhere. Or maybe using the 'Spurs are interested' ploy is in place to pry a bigger contract from another suitor, China or Real Madrid. I think watching Ayon and Mexico in the FIBA playoffs will be the closest the Spurs get to him.

Old 09-08-14, 08:26 PM
SR Team Goof

Here's another article that supports Michael's post above:

Gustavo Ayon spurns minimum offers to play in NBA, reaches deal with Real Madrid

Gustavo Ayon wanted to stay in the NBA, but in the end this is a business and he made the business decision.

Ayon was trying to find his space on the Hawks last season when shoulder surgery shut him down for the year in February. He showed in the FIBA World Cup he was back, leading Mexico to the knockout round then putting up 25 points and 11 rebounds on Team USAís front line in a losing effort. He looked solid.

But the offers that were coming in to return to the NBA, with the Spurs and others, were for the league minimum.

Which is why he has signed to play for more money from Real Madrid in Spain, something reported by solobasket.com (via Hoopshype).

Ayon played in Spain for years before coming to the NBA.

Ayon is very skilled which helped make up for the fact most NBA centers he went up against were more athletic than him. But he was fairly efficient (although that stepped back last season with the injury) and was a good passer and finisher. His free throw percentage (40 percent last season) was always an issue helping keep his minutes down.

This is a business for players, they have a limited window to earn money as a professional player and while for the All Stars that populate Team USA that means eight figures a year, for a lot of guys its about making as much as they can right now before that well goes dry. Real Madrid is a top European team that pays well, if Ayon will make significantly more there he had to make this move.

Weíll see if down the line an NBA team ponies up more to bring him back to North America.

Link to article: Gustavo Ayon spurns minimum offers to play in NBA, reaches deal with Real Madrid | ProBasketballTalk
Old 09-09-14, 09:53 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

dang
Old 09-15-14, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He has to come up with 376k buyout before he can sign with Real Madrid.