News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-14, 07:32 AM
SR Team Goof

Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags?

I know you’re convinced that Joey Crawford, Bennett Salvatore and Tony Brothers all have it in for your team. (It doesn’t really matter what your team is, every fan base thinks that.) Here’s the thing: by and large the referees get the calls right in a fast moving game where the calls are split second. They do a good job.

But they also miss some calls.

The NBA has instituted and expanded instant replay. Referees can look at whether a shot was a two or a three, whether or not a foul was flagrant, then the league gives officials expanded powers in the final minutes of each half to look at a variety of calls that could impact a game.

But is that enough?

Should a coach a couple times a game be able to have the referees review a call?

Think of it like an NFL system where a couple times a game Gregg Popovich or Jason Kidd be able to challenge a call, maybe lose a timeout if they are wrong?

Stephen Curry thinks so and said so at an NBA 2K15 roundtable on Tuesday, as reported by the Washington Post.
“Obviously refs are human and they miss calls,” he Curry said at a roundtable discussion called “NBA 2K15 Unsensored” on Tuesday. “To be able to make sure they got the right one — maybe give the coach a little flag like they do in football and he gets two or three challenges a game to make sure they get the right call, especially in pivotal situations.”
Kevin Durant disagrees.
“I wouldn’t like to see anything changed because I like how the game is played,” the Oklahoma City Thunder star said. “I think it’s perfect how it is. … If you give coach the right to challenge calls … it would take some purity out of the game, I think.”
I like this idea, but I think there needs to be a punishment for being wrong such as losing a timeout, otherwise coaches will use it instead of a timeout to try and break a run by the other team. “Hey, we just gave up 10 in a row, rather than blow a timeout I’m going to challenge that otherwise obvious out of bounds call.”

That said, I think the coaches should have a chance to pick a couple plays for review.

It also would be nice if the NBA referees became consistent with the calls they made off those reviews. Some seem to change crew to crew, day to day. Just ask Doc Rivers.

Link to article: Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? | ProBasketballTalk
Old 08-21-14, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yes but... only if the refs are willing to change calls if there is a reasonable certainty that it should be changed. In the NFL, the refs are often not willing to change the calls on the field. I just wouldn't want to NBA to waste time (and slow the game) if it isn't going to had to fairness.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-14, 06:02 PM
The Master Baiter

It will never happen. NBA refs are the most inconsistent and seemingly biased I've ever seen. This would only prove that and the NBA would be forced to revamp their officiating.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-14, 07:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Pop shouldn't he would figure a way to make it lethal and his challenge would be more of a removal.
Old 08-22-14, 05:23 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Challenge flags wouldn't work. NBA is too fast-paced. NFL is a lot slower.
Old 08-22-14, 05:32 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
It will never happen. NBA refs are the most inconsistent and seemingly biased I've ever seen. This would only prove that and the NBA would be forced to revamp their officiating.
I think the officiating has gotten a lot better in the last few years. It was fantastic in last year's playoffs, even in the Finals. It was very good this year and I thought didn't really suffer until the playoffs when there were a number of problematic games.
Old 08-23-14, 01:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I am for it, but only for a limited set of things. First, it has to be a dead ball sitaution. No "I think he got fouled but was a no-call so I'm throwing my flag" scenarios. Would be great to change offensive charges to defensive blocking fouls and vice versa for players with feet in the arc. Actually probably couldn't be used on fouls at all with the exception of above scenario as it would be practically impossible to prove contact did not occur. Would also be good for goaltending, especially in foul situations since the ref calling the foul isn't really looking at the ball in the air.

Second, each team would only get one. If you're correct and the call is overturned, you get to keep your challenge and use it again. You can do this as many times as you like as long as your challenge always overturns the call. Get one call that goes unchaged and you're done challenging for the rest of the game and lose a timeout. This would require coaches to be absolutely certain and thus would be less likely to waste it on any call in the first 3 quarters.

Third, not all NBA games are close, so most games would go by without any challenges being used. In close games, the pace is already going to be slowed by timeouts and fouls and subs, so one extra challenge each by a coach isn't going to slow the game that much and will add to it's accuracy when needed most. Low risk, high reward potential.

Lastly, I would love to overturn all of those awful Dwayne Wade shooting fouls where he jumps sideways 4 feet to initiate contact (making it an unnatural shooting mostion), but I think that needs an actual rule change.
Old 08-23-14, 09:00 AM
SR Team Goof

My gut reaction to this possible rule change to basketball is no way. I love basketball, mainly because of the speed of the game, the fast breaks, and the momentum that two finely tuned teams give to the game. Even the basketball officials themselves have to be physically fit to keep up with the flow, in addition to making the quick decisions required to maintain the integrity of the game. I’m almost at the point of losing complete interest following or watching football and baseball because of the amount of dead time between plays or actions

I’ve been watching the Little League Baseball World Series and they have instituted rules that incorporate this same type of challenge of the official’s call, judgment calls if you will. The number of steps for a challenge to reach its final conclusion has almost soured me on watching these kids play now. It’s sad to watch these kids congregate around the pitcher’s mound, looking up into the stands while the team manager discusses the play with the umpire. And baseball was basically a very slow game from the onset and then to throw in rule changes which slow it down even more, well, it’s goodbye to America’s pastime sport for me.

During the playoffs last year the comment was made by a play-by-play commentator that NBA officials were calling some technical fouls ‘flagrant’ just so they could view the TV instant replay to review, validate and even change their previous call. That seemed to me a ‘loophole’ to the rules and an easy fix. But, for the refs to make that kind of move even slowed the game up.

If the league were to institute something like this to basketball, it would really bruise the integrity of the sport. Can you image watching the game and the announcer coming on to say there is a time-out on the floor for the officials to review the challenge, while at the same time Lebron is again carried off the court because of a muscle cramp due to the excessive delay in play. Yeah, that’s what I want to see and hear, game after game.
Old 08-23-14, 10:44 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Answer: NO