News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-14, 09:22 PM
Joe Tango from San Diego's Avatar
Moderator in Flip Flops
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,258
Kawhi's contract extension is on the clock...

Former San Diego State alum, Mountain West Conference MVP, Kawhi Leonard spoke to Mark Ziegler of the San Diego Union Tribune to discuss his time with the Larry O' Brien Trophy (Sorry hardly anyone saw it, me included even though it was here in San Diego.)

Ziegler also writes why Kawhi is wired to think about team basketball first, money secondarily, but Ziegler speculates about why money maybe the primary concern for Spurs' management about their latest Finals MVP..


THE SAME, OLD KAWHI...
SDSU alum and NBA Finals MVP is unchanged by celebrity or contracts

MORENO VALLEY — The NBA’s Larry O’Brien Trophy is 2 feet high, weighs 14.5 pounds and is made of silver with a 24-karat gold overlay – a life-sized basketball gracefully tumbling into a net. As 2014 NBA champions, the San Antonio Spurs sent it on a world tour this summer, allowing each member of its international roster to do with it what they want for three days.

It went to a family barbeque with Manu Ginobili in Bahia Blanca, Argentina, then a music festival with Matt Bonner in New Hampshire, then a seven-day, six-city tour with Patty Mills and Aron Baynes in Australia that included a trip to the remote Torres Strait Islands between the country’s northern tip and Papua New Guinea.

Then a parade with Danny Green in North Babylon, N.Y.

Then a 3-on-3 tournament with Tiago Splitter in Barueri, Brazil.

There are stops in Canada (Cory Joseph), Italy (Marco Belinelli) and France (Tony Parker and Boris Diaw), but first 6-foot-7 San Diego State alum and NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard got “Larry” for three days in Southern California. He had it Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and he arranged for people to take pictures with it at his annual skills camp for youths last weekend in his hometown of Moreno Valley.

And Thursday and Friday?

It sat in the living room of the San Diego condominium he rents during the offseason while the Spurs staffer who chaperones the trophy around the world lounged at a UTC hotel pool … while Leonard was at his three-a-day workouts.

“I didn’t have any time to do anything with it,” Leonard explained. “My workout schedule is crazy.”

Translation: He’s not missing a mid-August workout for a season that begins in late October to show off a shiny 2-foot, 14.5-pound trophy with a 24-karat gold overlay.

“I’m just a low-key guy,” he said. “I’m just happy we won it. I don’t even care about the trophy. The title matters the most.”

Which, of course, is a major reason the Spurs have it.

The same, old Kawhi | UTSanDiego.com
__________________
NO NEED TO RUSH
Cutters are coming
Screens are being set
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!


I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."ť
~Hannibal~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-14, 09:42 AM
JuanCaca's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,647

dang hope he has good alarm system :-)
__________________
“ I’m honored to be on this team right now because he’s going to be great for years to come, and I’m going to hold on as long as I can.” -Tim Duncan on Kawhi Leonard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-14, 12:21 PM
Eddy from Austin's Avatar
Official SR Home Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Actually is Lakeway
Posts: 9,792

I didn't know there was more to read!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-14, 12:30 PM
Spurd_On's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: the next beam
Posts: 4,693

That is some serious jet lag.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-14, 01:08 PM
alh1020's Avatar
SR Team Goof
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Right here
Posts: 5,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tango from San Diego (Kawhi's contract extension is on the clock...)
.......Kim Robertson stood in the corner and watched the campers mesmerized by her son. This was her idea, holding it in Moreno Valley, making it free, respecting your roots, giving back.
“Money does change people, but so far it hasn’t changed him and hopefully it doesn’t,” Robertson said. “I guess it’s just who he is, his personality. He doesn’t want anything. He doesn’t really like to spend money.”
For his first three years in the league, they lived together in a two-story home in San Antonio, the NBA player upstairs, the mother downstairs. The idea was that he was 19 when he was drafted after his sophomore year at SDSU, and she wanted to ensure her baby had to worry about only playing basketball, not what he was eating for dinner or how much detergent to pour in the washing machine.
They mutually agreed it is time to find separate places and they have started looking elsewhere, partly a function of adulthood, partly a function of geography.
Their current house is 15 minutes from the Spurs practice facility northwest of downtown, maybe 20 with traffic. Too far. Leonard wants to be five minutes away.
“I’m trying,” he said, “to be closer.”.........



I’m sure the Spurs and Kawhi could come to a mutual agreement that would satisfy both of them. If Kawhi were to sign a contract extension that would make him a Spur for life, I’m sure the Spurs could build an extension to their practice facility to accommodate Kawhi’s living requirements. (I’m suggesting this without knowing where their facility is located and whether expansion is possible.)
__________________
Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse; it only eliminates the possibility of life ever getting better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-14, 02:24 PM
doom32x4's Avatar
Flying Monkey Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Quote:

I’m sure the Spurs and Kawhi could come to a mutual agreement that would satisfy both of them. If Kawhi were to sign a contract extension that would make him a Spur for life, I’m sure the Spurs could build an extension to their practice facility to accommodate Kawhi’s living requirements. (I’m suggesting this without knowing where their facility is located and whether expansion is possible.)
He could be Mike Jordan reincarnated, the Spurs still wouldn't add a living quarters extension to their facility for one player.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-14, 03:33 PM
alh1020's Avatar
SR Team Goof
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Right here
Posts: 5,095

In this era of ridiculous max contracts going to obscure players who don’t really deserve them, I wouldn’t put it past the realm of possibility of the Spurs doing something ‘out of the ordinary’ to satisfy a possible future star like Kawhi. When a guy is selected Finals MVP is his 3rd year, does 3 a days during his vacation time and is a bona fide gym rat wanting to live closer to the practice facility, it would get my attention, particularly when it is time to seriously sit down and negotiate dollars and cents for forever long we would like for him wear the silver and black. He may not put up the numbers and draw a crowd like Jordan, but Leonard will ruin anybody’s day with his game and if I were Peter Holt, my ear would be open to any suggestions to keep him on board. But that’s just me talking, with my hands deep into my empty pockets and I do tend to ramble a bit ………………..
__________________
Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse; it only eliminates the possibility of life ever getting better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-14, 08:36 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
He could be Mike Jordan reincarnated, the Spurs still wouldn't add a living quarters extension to their facility for one player.
I would've agreed with you, but keep in mind the news regarding the new TV deal/etc.

It is estimated the NBA's new TV deal will bump the salary cap up to $80 million or so, from about $63 mil now. That will make max deals signed today look like bargains in two years.

Even if that doesn't come to pass, somebody will pay Kawhi the max, if not us. Guys like Gordon Hayward are getting it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-14, 05:29 AM
doom32x4's Avatar
Flying Monkey Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
In this era of ridiculous max contracts going to obscure players who don’t really deserve them, I wouldn’t put it past the realm of possibility of the Spurs doing something ‘out of the ordinary’ to satisfy a possible future star like Kawhi. When a guy is selected Finals MVP is his 3rd year, does 3 a days during his vacation time and is a bona fide gym rat wanting to live closer to the practice facility, it would get my attention, particularly when it is time to seriously sit down and negotiate dollars and cents for forever long we would like for him wear the silver and black. He may not put up the numbers and draw a crowd like Jordan, but Leonard will ruin anybody’s day with his game and if I were Peter Holt, my ear would be open to any suggestions to keep him on board. But that’s just me talking, with my hands deep into my empty pockets and I do tend to ramble a bit ………………..
Would be easier to have one of the board members help with their real estate connections. I'm just stating that it would be ridiculous for any team to build a house next to their practice/team facility for any player. Anyways, there are plenty of other things to negotiate into contracts; I mean, the dude isn't Tim Duncan circa 2000. The money is different now, but its all relative to the different eras.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-14, 11:16 AM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,899

Pay Kawhi his $15 million a year and be also glad to buy $10 hot dogs at the ATT center too. Player salaries are out of control. What happens when the Spurs stop winning......the arena will be a ghost town. Curb the salaries and the cap. Kawhi Leonard is not an ALL STAR. Is not ALL NBA either. Pay him what he deserves and nothing more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-14, 02:16 PM
doom32x4's Avatar
Flying Monkey Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Pay Kawhi his $15 million a year and be also glad to buy $10 hot dogs at the ATT center too. Player salaries are out of control. What happens when the Spurs stop winning......the arena will be a ghost town. Curb the salaries and the cap. Kawhi Leonard is not an ALL STAR. Is not ALL NBA either. Pay him what he deserves and nothing more.
Curb salaries? Ummm.....no. players as a whole get a percentage of revenue, which is at like 47% right now because Billy Hunter was horrible at his job. When revenue goes up because of the new tv deal, salaries go up, otherwise the CBA is violated. To lower the percentage next CBA would cause a nice long strike, and players deserve 50% of revenue anyways, salaries aren't going down anytime soon. The concessions money and ticket sales are only part of the money the teams get, tv money is where the salary increases come from, well, that amd inflation.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-14, 04:09 PM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
Curb salaries? Ummm.....no. players as a whole get a percentage of revenue, which is at like 47% right now because Billy Hunter was horrible at his job. When revenue goes up because of the new tv deal, salaries go up, otherwise the CBA is violated. To lower the percentage next CBA would cause a nice long strike, and players deserve 50% of revenue anyways, salaries aren't going down anytime soon. The concessions money and ticket sales are only part of the money the teams get, tv money is where the salary increases come from, well, that amd inflation.
The owners have money without basketball. Do the players have money without basketball? They can strike. Who is going to pay them? When was there last a strike????? The owners take the risk not the players. Risk reward should go to the owners and not all to the players. If the TV and other revenue keeps going up then why is a beer 11 bucks the person serving it is getting eight bucks an hour? They have to meet profit margins and the players take up too much of the pie. What happens when the spurs go back to 20 win seasons? Who is going to go to the games in this poor big city of SA????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-14, 09:15 PM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,589

I think the percentage that NBA players get is just fine and should maybe be lower. Why? Because they have guaranteed contracts. They can have a four year contract, play half of that and still get the money. Not even NFL players have guaranteed money unless they are top echelon.

Salaries will go up, but I don't agree with it. And KY, as much as I was on his bandwagon from the beginning, hasn't proven that he is a consistent star in the league.

By the way, the NBA had a strike in 2011.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-20-14, 11:37 PM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I think the percentage that NBA players get is just fine and should maybe be lower. Why? Because they have guaranteed contracts. They can have a four year contract, play half of that and still get the money. Not even NFL players have guaranteed money unless they are top echelon.

Salaries will go up, but I don't agree with it. And KY, as much as I was on his bandwagon from the beginning, hasn't proven that he is a consistent star in the league.

By the way, the NBA had a strike in 2011.
Lockout by the owners. Not a strike by the players
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-21-14, 12:45 AM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Lockout by the owners. Not a strike by the players
Gotcha. Although the players knew it was going to happen and didn't budge on their demands.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-21-14, 02:47 AM
exit7's Avatar
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Pay Kawhi his $15 million a year and be also glad to buy $10 hot dogs at the ATT center too. Player salaries are out of control. What happens when the Spurs stop winning......the arena will be a ghost town. Curb the salaries and the cap. Kawhi Leonard is not an ALL STAR. Is not ALL NBA either. Pay him what he deserves and nothing more.
Not an all star, but a finals MVP!

But I agree $15 million sounds about right
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-21-14, 07:56 AM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Gotcha. Although the players knew it was going to happen and didn't budge on their demands.
True and the owners lost in my view. You don't see strikes anymore in sports.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-21-14, 08:02 AM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
Not an all star, but a finals MVP!

But I agree $15 million sounds about right
Well I don't want to give him 15 million. I don't project him as a superstar yet. He got hot the last 3 games. It wasn't like he was a great force the first two games. Let's be fair but not overpay the guy

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 08-21-14 at 10:18 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-21-14, 08:12 AM
alh1020's Avatar
SR Team Goof
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Right here
Posts: 5,095

And as I sit here dazily in front of my monitor being slightly influenced by Donna Summer singing "She works hard for the money", I often wonder why NBA team owners compete with each other over player salaries when guys like Durant have mega corporations like Under Armour and Nike throwing $265 million at him for 15 second commercials and his signature endorsement. I keep saying to myself "It's just a game" as I ponder going back to bed, wondering why my Dad, so many years ago, didn't give me that 25 cent allowance for forgetting to cut the grass when I was across the street shooting hoops. Am I dreaming yet?
__________________
Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse; it only eliminates the possibility of life ever getting better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-21-14, 11:00 AM
exit7's Avatar
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Well I don't want to give him 15 million. I don't project him as a superstar yet. He got hot the last 3 games. It wasn't like he was a great force the first two games. Let's be fair but not overpay the guy
It just so happens that those were the three biggest games of the last seven years for this team. And he did essentially the same thing last year in the finals. He wasn't making impossible shots, just playing aggressive so there really isn't a reason to think he can't sustain it. I don't think $15 mil is superstar money, I think that's fair for a guy that just led his team to a championship and should have had two if not for a coaching mistake.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-21-14, 11:44 AM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
It just so happens that those were the three biggest games of the last seven years for this team. And he did essentially the same thing last year in the finals. He wasn't making impossible shots, just playing aggressive so there really isn't a reason to think he can't sustain it. I don't think $15 mil is superstar money, I think that's fair for a guy that just led his team to a championship and should have had two if not for a coaching mistake.
True Pop screwed up by taking out Duncan last year in Game 6. Kawhi played bad in WCF in 2012 and has gotten a lot better since then. I mean the Spurs didn't pay out the nose for Stephen Jackson after his awesome run in 2003 and he left after the Spurs kind of low balled him. His best years were ahead of him and Kawhi's too. But neither at that stage should have gotten crazy money. Kawhi deserves a huge raise but it's not like Kawhi is on par with what TD produced. TP produced. Manu produced. And really the first two Finals TP sucked hard. Pay Kawhi? Yes. Over pay him? No. Also I think if you factor in the first two Finals games.....you could have decided to bypass him for MVP with TD. It was close. Manu and TD in 2005 was a close MVP debate too in that Finals. Also save some money for other players. Don't give it all to Kawhi until he gets to Big 3's level of play every year top to bottom.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-21-14, 12:44 PM
exit7's Avatar
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
True Pop screwed up by taking out Duncan last year in Game 6. Kawhi played bad in WCF in 2012 and has gotten a lot better since then. I mean the Spurs didn't pay out the nose for Stephen Jackson after his awesome run in 2003 and he left after the Spurs kind of low balled him. His best years were ahead of him and Kawhi's too. But neither at that stage should have gotten crazy money. Kawhi deserves a huge raise but it's not like Kawhi is on par with what TD produced. TP produced. Manu produced. And really the first two Finals TP sucked hard. Pay Kawhi? Yes. Over pay him? No. Also I think if you factor in the first two Finals games.....you could have decided to bypass him for MVP with TD. It was close. Manu and TD in 2005 was a close MVP debate too in that Finals. Also save some money for other players. Don't give it all to Kawhi until he gets to Big 3's level of play every year top to bottom.
Stephen Jackson should be a cautionary tale for the spurs, and imo that scenario is what is going to make the spurs pay Kawhi this time. Kawhi's numbers were far superior to Jackson's in 2003(when you factor in shooting percentages, rebounds...), and that was Jackson's 6th year in the league. One could argue that had the spurs payed Jackson that year, maybe he blossoms into the 5th piece along with Bowen and the spurs win a few more championships during Tims prime. And he wasn't even asking for that much money.

Kawhi's numbers may not be superstar level yet, but his steady improvement year to year, and his ability to turn it up a subsantial notch during the playoffs and especially the finals, should make it an easy decision to pay him what the market demands. At the end of the day, there is going to be a team that offers Kawhi that type of money. So even though you may not think he is worth it, would you rather see him walk because the Spurs don't want to overpay for their "future face of the franchise"?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-21-14, 02:02 PM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,589

He'll get his money from the Spurs. But there will always be an argument over his worth until he's a legitimate All Star.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-21-14, 02:03 PM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
Stephen Jackson should be a cautionary tale for the spurs, and imo that scenario is what is going to make the spurs pay Kawhi this time. Kawhi's numbers were far superior to Jackson's in 2003(when you factor in shooting percentages, rebounds...), and that was Jackson's 6th year in the league. One could argue that had the spurs payed Jackson that year, maybe he blossoms into the 5th piece along with Bowen and the spurs win a few more championships during Tims prime. And he wasn't even asking for that much money.

Kawhi's numbers may not be superstar level yet, but his steady improvement year to year, and his ability to turn it up a subsantial notch during the playoffs and especially the finals, should make it an easy decision to pay him what the market demands. At the end of the day, there is going to be a team that offers Kawhi that type of money. So even though you may not think he is worth it, would you rather see him walk because the Spurs don't want to overpay for their "future face of the franchise"?
I think he is a major piece to the puzzle moving forward. Pop might have said something to that effect on being the "face of the team" I disagree though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-22-14, 01:24 PM
Money4Nothing's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 3,283

Leonard could be the next dominant wing player in the NBA, and the cornerstone of multiple championships. You have to take a risk on that. There's so few opportunities to get a guy like him.

$
__________________
When the Spurs lose...it makes Baby Jesus cry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-22-14, 05:37 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Well I don't want to give him 15 million. I don't project him as a superstar yet. He got hot the last 3 games. It wasn't like he was a great force the first two games. Let's be fair but not overpay the guy
Not $15mil per year?

He's not better than Gordon Hayward? Chandler Parsons?

They're getting $15mil+/year. How much is he worth then?

The next tier down is in the $10mil/year range.

Trevor Ariza gets $8mil/year.
Luol Deng gets $10mil/year.
Kyle Lowry gets $12mil/year.

I take Kawhi over them anyday.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-22-14, 10:14 PM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Not $15mil per year?

He's not better than Gordon Hayward? Chandler Parsons?

They're getting $15mil+/year. How much is he worth then?

The next tier down is in the $10mil/year range.

Trevor Ariza gets $8mil/year.
Luol Deng gets $10mil/year.
Kyle Lowry gets $12mil/year.

I take Kawhi over them anyday.
Parsons is pretty good bro. Hayward is projecting to be even better than his previous numbers. Either one can put 35-40 points up a night or its possible. If Kawhi got close to bottom guys that's fine. Deng has made two or three all star games. Lowry has emerged. Ariza had a great year. So more than somewhere in between I can live with. But this garbage about paying every spur player all this money on every one is crazy. There is a cap people. I'm just saying be practical

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 08-22-14 at 11:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-23-14, 08:34 PM
Flipmode Master's Avatar
The Chosen One(Moderator)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Batcave in Savannah
Posts: 5,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Parsons is pretty good bro. Hayward is projecting to be even better than his previous numbers. Either one can put 35-40 points up a night or its possible. If Kawhi got close to bottom guys that's fine. Deng has made two or three all star games. Lowry has emerged. Ariza had a great year. So more than somewhere in between I can live with. But this garbage about paying every spur player all this money on every one is crazy. There is a cap people. I'm just saying be practical
You got to also take into account that this is San Antonio...not exactly the free agent capitol of the world. So if you have a guy like Kawhi with All-Star talent you lock him up. He is coachable, he plays both ends of the floor, who cares if he doesnt drop 30 a night. He puts his stamp on the game. Besides Duncan and Manu are porbably gone after this season,so you have to lock a guy like Kawhi up.
__________________

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-09-14, 02:11 AM
Joe Tango from San Diego's Avatar
Moderator in Flip Flops
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,258

Wow. Been away again and just read the posts. Prior to the season I think it fair to say that most would say Leonard's career to be on a trajectory very similar to Paul George would be unfair, but not I. For me to say why, lets ask the question, So what to pay Leonard? Because he is on the Spurs, they didn't need Kawhi to put up big numbers unlike Indiana did with George. If you switched them, put George in S.A., his numbers could be the same as Leonard's and not be all-star like either, but so what?
Only in the finals did Pop ask Kawhi to bring his O along with his D in the finals. Until then, what Kawhi was giving them during the season was not all star numbers, instead it was just a ridiculous winning percentage when Kawhi was in the lineup that allowed the Spurs to garner the one seed throughout to win one for the thumb.
Subsequently, when Tim and Manu head off to their eventual trip to the hall of fame, Pop will retool around Tony and Kawhi and the cycle of winning should continue. It's just the Spurs way....

Kawhi is worth a max deal although you feel like Kawhi will do a deal that will leave money on the table to allow R.C. to continue to be brilliant. Besides, it will be Spurs employee number two that puts the fannies in the seats by then and I'm sure he will have all star numbers and appearances to go with his finals mvp, in other words, a legitimate all-star.
Just wait to see Kawhi's stats as option 1 or 1a when that time comes.... Or we may discover that Pop will be Pop his starters still play around 30 minutes per game. How do you think George would do on the Spurs with the same conditions?
Laughably, having a Spur on your fantasy team is not likely to garner you a fantasy league championship. But a real NBA championship? We already know the answer...

How many teams can boast of having two finals mvps and that is AFTER Timmy and the most decorated South American ever ride off into the sunset?
it's good to be a Spurs fan, then, now, and forever....
__________________
NO NEED TO RUSH
Cutters are coming
Screens are being set
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!


I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."ť
~Hannibal~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-09-14, 09:18 AM
mckennaspur1's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: nyc
Posts: 6,187

We can only hope that Kawhi has learned from the Big Three the wisdom of leaving money on the table so that the Spur front office has financial room to build a solid team around him.

The best option seems to be giving Kawhi a max contract under the rules of the current CBA in anticipation of the rates rising when the new CBA is in place. That way, Kawhi gets the respect he richly deserves and the Spurs still have flexibility to attract other key players.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-09-14, 03:35 PM
Joe Tango from San Diego's Avatar
Moderator in Flip Flops
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,258

Capologists chime in. What will the new nba tv deal do for the cap and if I understand what McKenna is saying can Kawhi sign a max deal prior to a new cap that adds more money to the table for other players?

Still, I question how some of you can say he is not worth max money when even at his young age, he already is the best small forward in Spurs history and I'm saying this being the biggest Sean Elliott fan ever. Kawhi is Sean Elliott offensively with his quick first step and Bruce Bowen defensively with his ability to cover the top perimeter options of his opponents. To top it off, he is a better rebounder and causes more steals than either of them.
It's too early to proclaim his number will be retired when his career is over but it's not hard to imagine now.....

Bonus. Speaking of numbers to retire, who was the last person to wear Spurs #21 before Tim?
__________________
NO NEED TO RUSH
Cutters are coming
Screens are being set
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!


I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."ť
~Hannibal~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-11-14, 01:47 PM
Joe Tango from San Diego's Avatar
Moderator in Flip Flops
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,258

In re examining the posts, that some fear the return of 20 win seasons and half empty arenas, I just don't see that going forward. The dreaded four letter network just placed the Spurs as number one in their "future" forecast (click link) NBA Future Power Rankings - ESPN
Again, I wonder aloud how some of you want more out of Kawhi when the status quo still with the big three gets them 60 wins and 16 more in the postseason. Keep in mind that Leonard was just a 19 year old his first western finals that began the season in a lockout. As far as others scoring more points, that will change once Duncan and Ginobili go (I will really miss them like I did Sean but life will go on). If you go ahead and look at the individual numbers of some of the players you mentioned coming out of their rookie contracts or situations and what they signed for in their new deals, some may have glitzier scoring stats, but none of them bring more to his team than Kawhi. A look at the number of wins when he plays will tell you that. That plus no one can play lebron, durant and westbrook, chris paul, paul george, the splash brothers, derrick rose like Kawhi can.
I bet all of those guys who were on rookie deals would rather be Kawhi Leonard and what his future holds, cost of hot dogs and beer be damned... He will be worth every penny of his deal. And to clarify, Pop did say that Leonard was the future face of the Spurs. I can imagine that Leonard's numbers will boost to legitimate all star numbers (whatever that means) even if Pop continues to limit minutes for the entire squad....
I know Leonard could carry a team as a number one option. He did it at San Diego State as a freshman and sophomore. He is mature beyond his years as far as what he needs to do to improve his game which is already at a high level and he is dedicated to being at the gym.
It's amazing that Kawhi is limited by Pop and some of you see it as not doing enough yet for the Spurs to earn a max contract. Stephen Jackson's situation is not comparable by the way. It's oversimplification. Face it, all of you would not like to see Kawhi sign elsewhere. He is loyal, but don't give him a reason to look elsewhere. I feel like he will show his loyalty by leaving money to bring talent to help the Spurs continue to extend their record of 50+wins in a season, and not to worry about the initial reasons that started my post. The future looks bright, not doomish and gloomish. Regardless of the cap, the practical thing to do is sign Kawhi with whatever it takes.
__________________
NO NEED TO RUSH
Cutters are coming
Screens are being set
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!


I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."ť
~Hannibal~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0