News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-07-14, 10:26 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Love headed to Cavs

Kevin Love trade -- Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves have agreement in place - ESPN

The Minnesota Timberwolves have reached an agreement in principle to trade Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers for No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins, 2013 No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett and a protected 2015 first-round draft pick, Yahoo! Sports is reporting.
According to Yahoo! sources, Love has committed to opt out of his contract in 2015 and re-sign with Cleveland next summer for five years and $120 million-plus.
The trade cannot be finalized until Aug. 23.
Sources have told ESPN.com that Love has been highly intrigued by the idea of playing alongside Olympic teammate [COLOR=#225fb2]LeBron James[/COLOR] on a full-time basis and is not put off by the fact that James' new contract with the Cavs spans only two seasons and includes a player option to return to free agency next summer.
NBA Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas reacted to news of the trade agreement on Twitter by crediting James for his influence in getting Love to Cleveland.
[indent]Lebron James best executive in the NBA!!!
- Isiah Thomas (@iamisiahthomas)August 7, 2014 Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told the St. Paul Pioneer Press last weekend that a trade of Love was "likely" by Aug. 23 or Aug. 24, coinciding with the first day Wiggins can be traded.
Wiggins told ESPN on Sunday that he just wants to play in a place where he's wanted when he was asked about the uncertainty over his future. The Cavs have signed Wiggins to his rookie contract, which averages about $5.5M annually.
"I just want to play for a team that wants me. So whichever team wants me I'll play for," he told ESPN's "SportsCenter," from Tarrytown, New York, where he was taking part in a photo shoot for Panini trading cards.
Although the Cavs would prefer to keep Wiggins, their interest in Love is understandable given how well the big man's combination of elite rebounding, passing and long-range shooting ability could complement James' game. With Love, Cleveland would rank as the undeniable favorite to win the Eastern Conference, something the Cavs managed only once in James' initial seven-season stint with his home-state franchise.

Last edited by esparzar1; 08-07-14 at 10:29 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-14, 11:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Here we go again. I was beginning to think that this was all posturing on Flip Saunders' side.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-14, 11:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well as much as I think the cavs should have tried their best to keep wiggins, getting love is great for them!!! Do I think its makes them the prohibitive favorite in the east? No I think that oboes lays with the bulls! If we do see cavs in the finals, it will be a sweep just like in 07

- Confucius
Old 08-07-14, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

LeBron knew he would be pplaying with either love or Melo... He wouldn't have went back to Cleveland if he didn't think that... I don't buy into it that LeBron just wanted to go back home... He wanted to jump to the best ssituation possible... Glad our Spurs stayed togetherand wweathered the hard times... Like Champs.
Old 08-07-14, 01:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Cleveland just became a veteran ball club. It will be years before they ever see choice draft picks again. I can see how the Cleveland front office is OK with that. They have plenty of early choice draft picks that are seasoned veterans.
Old 08-07-14, 01:27 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I think it would had been more fun to watch LeBron with Wiggins and Bennett with Kyrie Irving. But I guess they want a Big 3 themselves. If it was possible I would had traded Waiters and T.Thompson instead but I'm sure that was not on the table. I think for the Wolves this was a good offer but I wonder what the Celtic's best offer was?? They own a boat load of picks.
Old 08-07-14, 01:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't think it is a credit to the Cavs front office, I think it is players that want to ride Lebron's coattails. The FO has to thank Lebron for this. And hats off to Lebron for being able to recruit.

The Cavs also need to thank Anthony Bennett. Had he not lost some weight and had not shown improvement in summer league play, I am not so sure Minn would have agreed to the deal.
Old 08-07-14, 07:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Did Lebron learn nothing ? 3 max salaries and little depth at each position ; with little chance to bring in quality players for the next few years?

The front office is no where near Miami. They maybe fun to watch, but I don't think they jumped the Bulls, or even the Heat now.
Old 08-07-14, 08:22 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
Did Lebron learn nothing ? 3 max salaries and little depth at each position ; with little chance to bring in quality players for the next few years?

The front office is no where near Miami. They maybe fun to watch, but I don't think they jumped the Bulls, or even the Heat now.
To be fair, that combo got him to four straight finals appearances and two rings. That's not too shabby
Old 08-07-14, 11:39 PM
The Master Baiter

I think it'll take them a year, maybe two. Lebron is the only star on that team with playoff experience, period. I'm not talking Finals experience, but just being in the playoffs at all. They brought in some vets with experience, but as the Spurs know, that doesn't always get you very far.
Old 08-08-14, 01:11 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:

Exactly. The new CBA kills this arrangement. With Lebron, Love, and Irving at max, they will be above the luxury tax and unable to add anybody except at vet min or 1/2 MLE.

Under the old CBA, this approach was viable because you could add a guy at the MLE every year and just pay the tax if you wanted. And you could give the MLE signees raises after 3 years too. But under this CBA you are penalized for that.

They would have been better off letting Wiggins grow with Lebron and signing as many good role players as possible before Wiggins' extension would kick in after a few years.

Of course, all of this is only a problem for Lebron if he plans on staying in Cleveland for more than two years.
Old 08-08-14, 01:14 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
To be fair, that combo got him to four straight finals appearances and two rings. That's not too shabby
Fair point, but a main difference is the Cavs can't do what Miami did a few years ago.

The old CBA allowed you to sign some max guys and then get a new quality player with the MLE every year and Bi-annual exception over other year (hence guys like Mike Miller, Ray Allen, etc.).

You could do that forever if you were ok with the luxury tax bill. And what big city title-winning team wouldn't be?

The new CBA cuts off that strategy at the knees. If you fill up your roster with 3 max guys, you have no cap space left AND you're in luxury tax territory which takes away the full MLE. Now you're bidding at half the MLE competing with teams able to pay twice as much.

So Cleveland's FO may or may not be brighter than Miami's but the game has changed to their detriment.
Old 08-08-14, 03:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Fair point, but a main difference is the Cavs can't do what Miami did a few years ago.

The old CBA allowed you to sign some max guys and then get a new quality player with the MLE every year and Bi-annual exception over other year (hence guys like Mike Miller, Ray Allen, etc.).

You could do that forever if you were ok with the luxury tax bill. And what big city title-winning team wouldn't be?

The new CBA cuts off that strategy at the knees. If you fill up your roster with 3 max guys, you have no cap space left AND you're in luxury tax territory which takes away the full MLE. Now you're bidding at half the MLE competing with teams able to pay twice as much.

So Cleveland's FO may or may not be brighter than Miami's but the game has changed to their detriment.
In the new CBA the most valuable player is a star on a rookie contract. Cleveland had a chance to have that piece, but it was only a chance. While it seems like Wiggins has a good chance to be a star, he still hasn't proven anything yet.

Cleveland in this trade took back certainty in star power over potential value. I can't really fault them for going that way. However, the big problem is that they don't have any viable rim protectors and their cap situation means they are not going to get one.
Old 08-08-14, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Interesting, I didn't realize that grizzly. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-09-14, 09:42 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Cavs will only be as good as this years squad. After this year, how can they afford decent young talent (like waiters or Thompson) who can get better contracts elsewhere ? And if they traded a pick already they will be in the same position as this years Heat, roster full of ancient, hurt, veterans, no draft picks or developing players. This team owl slightly degrade with not financial flexibility , and their current young players likely going through free agency.
Old 08-09-14, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Maybe not. The media deal for the NBA is to be renegotiated in 2016. The betting is that, as a result, the salary cap will be raised significantly. Some are predicting that it may go up by $20 million.

This may account for some of the crazy seeming deals that have been signed recently. Teams are locking in long contracts under the current scheme. They may look like a bargain in 2016. This probably explains Tony Parker's unexpected extension.

It also explains Le Bron's two year deal with an opt out for the last year. He wants to negotiate a max deal when the max salary increases after the media re-negotiation. If he took a max deal at 5 years under the current scheme he could be leaving a lot of money on the table on the later years of the contract.

This also means that Cleavland will have cap space in the future to land more talent.

Last edited by bills0; 08-09-14 at 01:16 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-09-14, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
Maybe not. The media deal for the NBA is to be renegotiated in 2016. The betting is that, as a result, the salary cap will be raised significantly. Some are predicting that it may go up by $20 million.

This may account for some of the crazy seeming deals that have been signed recently. Teams are locking in long contracts under the current scheme. They may look like a bargain in 2016. This probably explains Tony Parker's unexpected extension.

It also explains Le Bron's two year deal with an opt out for the last year. He wants to negotiate a max deal when the max salary increases after the media re-negotiation. If he took a max deal at 5 years under the current scheme he could be leaving a lot of money on the table on the later years of the contract.

This also means that Cleavland will have cap space in the future to land more talent.
+1

Plus Cleveland may use Blatt's connections and savvy to tap the foreign market. In addition, Lebron has already stated that he wants to end his career in Cleveland and unlike Kobe, he draws players to his ranks. I think Cleveland will find ways to keep this franchise competitive for years to come. I'm actually happy for the city. They have some of the oldest professional franchises in history and have been seldom competitive.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 08-09-14 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
+1

Plus Cleveland may use Blatt's connections and savvy to tap the foreign market. In addition, Lebron has already stated that he wants to end his career in Cleveland and unlike Kobe, he draws players to his ranks. I think Cleveland will find ways to keep this franchise competitive for years to come. I'm actually happy for the city. They have some of the oldest professional franchises in history and have been seldom competitive.

I'm happy for their fans, but the sports teams there don't deserve this. The Indians don't spend the money to keep their stars, the owner of the browns moved the team, and Dan Gilbert is a joke of an owner who possesses no spine whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that the nba for some reason decided to gift them 3 #1 picks in 4 years and they couldn't put together a competitive team with it. I'm going to have a really hard time pulling for the cavs to be successful, and would love nothing more than to see the spurs sweep them in the finals once again.
Old 08-11-14, 07:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
I'm happy for their fans, but the sports teams there don't deserve this. The Indians don't spend the money to keep their stars, the owner of the browns moved the team, and Dan Gilbert is a joke of an owner who possesses no spine whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that the nba for some reason decided to gift them 3 #1 picks in 4 years and they couldn't put together a competitive team with it. I'm going to have a really hard time pulling for the cavs to be successful, and would love nothing more than to see the spurs sweep them in the finals once again.
I'm always up for a Spurs sweep any time no matter what I think of the opposing team. Another franchise that I would like to see rise from the ashes is Philadelphia. They had their fleeting moments with Wilt Chamberlain and Dr J but that's about it. Ownership and general management have a bad history there too.

Old 08-11-14, 11:37 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I feel like the cavs did what was best for Lebron, and not what was best for the cavs. I don't like the idea that the cavs simply gave into lebrons demands, and traded a potential all star and really the next 10 years of their franchise in order to maximize lebrons window.

I feel like if Kobe or KD would have gone on that Cleveland team, they would have no doubt made it to the finals, for some reason Lebron needs a 2nd and 3rd superstar to truly feel comfortable. I feel pre love , this team would have been good, and been able to get better and deeper, via valuable draft assets and a workable salary cap.

I guess I feel like why should Lebron be given the reigns to the team when he returned , voluntarily? He should in some respects regain Cleveland's trust before they just follow his demands.
Old 08-11-14, 07:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm thinking it will be harder for the Spurs to get through the West than it will be for the Spurs to sweep Cleveland.
Old 08-12-14, 03:22 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
I'm thinking it will be harder for the Spurs to get through the West than it will be for the Spurs to sweep Cleveland.
Agreed.
Old 08-13-14, 09:50 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

why is everybody asumming cleveland gonna be in the finals?

are they really that better than others?
Old 08-13-14, 11:26 AM
Herman Cain of the board

LeBron is back and Cleveland fires mike brown again. What a joke
Old 08-14-14, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post

are they really that better than others?
Yes, the only challenge I see to them in the Least....I mean East is Chicago. It's gonna be either Cle or Chi in the east and SA, OKC or LAC in the west. Book it! There really are no other teams that would honestly be expected to be in the finals other than those 5.
Old 08-14-14, 03:04 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
Yes, the only challenge I see to them in the Least....I mean East is Chicago. It's gonna be either Cle or Chi in the east and SA, OKC or LAC in the west. Book it! There really are no other teams that would honestly be expected to be in the finals other than those 5.
I have to agree with you but I wouldn't turn my back on either Washington or Atlanta in the East. Both teams, if they stay healthy, could ruin anybody's day.

Old 08-15-14, 04:42 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post

I know, right? I mean, Stern is no longer there so Bron Bron will have to earn it on his own...

Old 08-19-14, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
I know, right? I mean, Stern is no longer there so Bron Bron will have to earn it on his own...
lol, he still doesnt have to earn anything....He plays in the Freakin Leastern conferance. Just sayin
Old 08-19-14, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

hahaha! leastern conference haha
Old 08-27-14, 10:41 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think Minnesota actually made out pretty well. They received 2 number 1 draft picks, one with the potential to be an all nba player, plus a solid thad young, and a sizable trade exception. So if they actually do somewhat well, not unlike phoenix did this year, they could still add a decent MLE or better player at the dead line to improve their team.

I was suspect about what Flip was trying to do, and when I heard early reports of trading bennett for thad young, I felt it was at best a wash. But being able to keep both and get the trade exception proved Flip was patient and the Cavs blinked. I think Flip also made good use of Philly and their fire sale approach. They got alot of young, unproven talent, and the ability to get better. They have a very pass happy PG to throw lobs and curl for 3pters. And I expect them to grab a former all star with their trade exception.

don't be surprised if Minne is this seasons break out team like Phoenix.
Old 08-28-14, 10:50 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I think Minnesota actually made out pretty well. They received 2 number 1 draft picks, one with the potential to be an all nba player, plus a solid thad young, and a sizable trade exception. So if they actually do somewhat well, not unlike phoenix did this year, they could still add a decent MLE or better player at the dead line to improve their team.

I was suspect about what Flip was trying to do, and when I heard early reports of trading bennett for thad young, I felt it was at best a wash. But being able to keep both and get the trade exception proved Flip was patient and the Cavs blinked. I think Flip also made good use of Philly and their fire sale approach. They got alot of young, unproven talent, and the ability to get better. They have a very pass happy PG to throw lobs and curl for 3pters. And I expect them to grab a former all star with their trade exception.

don't be surprised if Minne is this seasons break out team like Phoenix.
Yes but what good is it having all of this young talent if they are going to be guided by Flip Saunders. He's not exactly known for developing character and talent.

Old 08-28-14, 12:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm not saying Flip is an elite coach by any means, but he coached those Pistons teams to some dominant seasons in the mid 00s. He's not terrible, and he constructed the team himself, so he had no real reason to fail, unless he's just absolutely garbage basketball wise.

On Paper, I think Minnesota did a good job given their circumstances and very little bargaining room. Also, alot of changes are happening in Minnesota, new coach, new star players, there's no looming questions about the future of the Wolves and Love, and real 0 expectations. If they squeak into the 8th slot of the playoffs, I would say that's executive of the year potential.