News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-14, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Will there be baseline changes in the NBA now?

One of Pop's biggest issues that always gets ignored. These guys have telescopic cameras and don't even need to be close to get their shots. I know PG didn't land on anyone, but it's an issue I think needs to be addressed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-14, 01:11 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i agree...
Old 08-02-14, 05:14 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

there should be since the NBA owners are grumbling about letting NBA PLAYERS play in the Olympics.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-14, 12:27 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Should be changes, won't be changes because too much money can be made from selling those spots that would disappear if you moved everybody back a few feet.
Old 08-03-14, 12:29 PM
The Eternal Optimist

So many safety issues abound, which pose much more chance of injury than the international competitions in and of themselves. (That is to say regular season NBA and NBA playoff games.)
Old 08-03-14, 12:42 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I think it didn't measure to NBA standards but did for FIBA and or international measurements. So maybe there is a way they can make it deeper for these guys. They are so athletic and need more space.
Old 08-03-14, 12:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Should be changes, won't be changes because too much money can be made from selling those spots that would disappear if you moved everybody back a few feet.
Money to be made... How bout the money you'll lose when your star goes down? It's about player safety... First, second and last. People will pay no matter where they're at.

Imagine if that was say... Duncan, and an injury like that forced him to retire early? Be some mad @ss people!
Old 08-03-14, 12:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think if we take a step back, we might realize that this isn't the problem it's being made out. How many players have been injured landing on cameramen or by the backboard stand in all the minutes in games and practices? the sample size is huge. There are 82 games played by 30 teams over how many countless seasons. Within that sample the number is incredibly low.

I think the biggest problem here is inconsistency. These NBA guys are phenomenal athletes and have incredible control over their bodies. If all NBA goals were placed in the dimensions of the UNLV court, then PG doesn't make that play like that. His muscle memory though is for NBA courts. Ultimately, I think that is why the cameramen aren't really a problem. They know where they are and adjust their game accordingly.

To answer the question Mr Jones asked above. We have a good sample size of data showing that the risk of a player being injured along the baseline is very low. we let our imaginations run wild when it comes to looking at potential threats. That's why woman was arrested for letting her 9 year old play in a public park in the afternoon while she worked.

This was a freak accident. It was very unfortunate, but changing things because of it without actually looking at the empirical data would be short sighted.

Last edited by b1gdon; 08-03-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-04-14, 09:20 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
I think if we take a step back, we might realize that this isn't the problem it's being made out. How many players have been injured landing on cameramen or by the backboard stand in all the minutes in games and practices? the sample size is huge. There are 82 games played by 30 teams over how many countless seasons. Within that sample the number is incredibly low.

I think the biggest problem here is inconsistency. These NBA guys are phenomenal athletes and have incredible control over their bodies. If all NBA goals were placed in the dimensions of the UNLV court, then PG doesn't make that play like that. His muscle memory though is for NBA courts. Ultimately, I think that is why the cameramen aren't really a problem. They know where they are and adjust their game accordingly.

To answer the question Mr Jones asked above. We have a good sample size of data showing that the risk of a player being injured along the baseline is very low. we let our imaginations run wild when it comes to looking at potential threats. That's why woman was arrested for letting her 9 year old play in a public park in the afternoon while she worked.

This was a freak accident. It was very unfortunate, but changing things because of it without actually looking at the empirical data would be short sighted.
I think you're right that the main issue is inconsistency. Guys learn to play a certain way based on how the court is laid out. Guys will jump out of bounds to make a play on a ball because they know they're not jumping into a scimitar storage rack.

At the same time, although the frequency of accidents is a relevant criterion in evaluating a possible change, two other factors are relevant here too. One is the severity of the injury potential (huge, both based on Paul George's injury and the possibility of other severe injuries such as a closed head injury). Another is the cost of changing to reduce the risk (fairly minimal in context of something like losing a $17 million dollar a year player).

To me that weighs in favor of small changes like adjusting the location of stanchions and moving back the photographers (especially in view of the current lens capability). I am not so worried about the sidelines, both because they're mostly soft (people are easier to fall into) and the action on the court is more north/south than east/west, as it were.
Old 08-04-14, 09:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I think you're right that the main issue is inconsistency. Guys learn to play a certain way based on how the court is laid out. Guys will jump out of bounds to make a play on a ball because they know they're not jumping into a scimitar storage rack.

At the same time, although the frequency of accidents is a relevant criterion in evaluating a possible change, two other factors are relevant here too. One is the severity of the injury potential (huge, both based on Paul George's injury and the possibility of other severe injuries such as a closed head injury). Another is the cost of changing to reduce the risk (fairly minimal in context of something like losing a $17 million dollar a year player).

To me that weighs in favor of small changes like adjusting the location of stanchions and moving back the photographers (especially in view of the current lens capability). I am not so worried about the sidelines, both because they're mostly soft (people are easier to fall into) and the action on the court is more north/south than east/west, as it were.
Yes, if that camera guy was back a little further... Dennis Rodman would of never kicked him... LMAO!