News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-14, 07:06 AM
SR Team Goof

Ginobili ‘sad and disappointed’ to miss FIBA World Cup

Even after receiving a letter from the Spurs prohibiting his participation in the FIBA Basketball World Cup, Manu Ginobili held out hope that he still might be able to join Argentina at the tournament in Spain, perhaps even defying his NBA team’s wishes to pursue mediation.

It wasn’t until Ginobili experienced pain in his injured right leg during workouts after a lengthy layoff that reality finally sank in: His international career, after a pair of Olympic medals, is likely over. The veteran guard wrote about his side of the saga in his latest column for Argentina’s La Nacion, describing himself as “sad and disappointed” at being unable to represent his country for what might have been the last time.

I very much regret the bad news. I wanted to say goodbye to the team on the court and be with my friends, but it cannot be. I’ll be with the team as long as possible, trying to add from the outside and supporting at all times.

Ginobili wrote in detail about the disappointment of receiving word from the Spurs that they would not allow him to play despite improvement with the stress fracture in his lower right fibula. But Ginobili, despite considering options to circumvent the Spurs’ wishes, said he finally realized the risk was too great upon experiencing persistent soreness in the injured area.

For the bone to be well sealed and not remain any doubts, I had spent 42 days without being able to train as usual, no jumping or running, so as not to put stress on the fibula. And that made me reach the training camp in a painful physical condition. When one is 37 years old, it is not easy to return and start from nothing, so we tried to accelerate a little at a time. I started the physical work in the pool acceptably, but when I went to the treadmill there began to emerge some pain, mostly in the right ankle and left foot.

I did a lot of treatment and a lot of stretching, and it seemed to be a little better, but when on Wednesday I began to force more to run and shoot in the gym, at the end of the training session the pain reappeared in the same place of the original fibular fracture. That basically gave the final blow to the expectations I had to assemble some kind of plan to play in Spain, since asking the mediation of FIBA made almost no sense given that obviously the injury isn’t completely healed.

Link to article: San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis – Spurs Nation » Ginobili ‘sad and disappointed’ to miss FIBA World Cup
Old 08-02-14, 07:07 AM
SR Team Goof

Reality can really be a b*tch.
Old 08-02-14, 07:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm guessing he's happy as can be he gets to hang out with his family in the offseason

He just needed the Spurs to take the heat for not allowing him to play so he doesn't have the Public Relations problem with his countrymen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-14, 10:35 AM
The Master Baiter

Now imagine him landing on his already broken leg like Paul George did. He was being honest about his level of pain, which if he really did want to play that bad, he would have hidden. So kudos to Manu in being honest.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-14, 10:50 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

On my "Sad and Disappointed" meter this barely registers. This man has had and still has one of the most happy and fulfilling lives on the planet.