SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-14, 10:57 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Prayers for Paul George - Very Disturbing Video

OMG....

https://vine.co/v/MEVQKKQhFnV

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-14, 11:58 PM
SR Team Goof

Just watched my DVR recording of the game and that injury is absolutely devastating. That backboard standard that George landed against was really close to the playing floor. The injury immediately reminded me of the career ending leg break by Washington Redskin quarterback Joe Theismann back in the '80s and seeing NY Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor's horrified reaction and him trying to get medical personnel on the field to treat Theismann. I really feel sad for George and the Pacers and pray for his speedy recovery.
Old 08-02-14, 12:09 AM
The Master Baiter

Very sad. He'll recover. But not until next year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-14, 12:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

That's why you don't play in stuff like that anymore. These guys are worth too to their teams. And the families suffer. Also I don't think the Pacers get a injured player exception cause he didn't get hurt playing for Indiana. That injury reminds me of Shaun Livingston's. Probably a 2 year injury. So freaking sad!
Old 08-02-14, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

what huge bummer. heck of a player. get well soon.
Old 08-02-14, 12:30 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Our Friends at PacerDigest.com are pretty much devastated by this news.
OMFG>>. Paul G is hurt and it looks bad....

Old 08-02-14, 12:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Wasn't Livingston's a knee injury with ligament and tendon damage? I think this is bad, but maybe it's possible he can come back and be the player he was before?
Old 08-02-14, 12:40 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Its hard to imagine the force of your own body being able to do that.
Old 08-02-14, 02:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
Thoughts and prayers to Paul George utmost, but to Pacers and their fans too. Best wishes!!!!!!

Last edited by spur43; 08-02-14 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-02-14, 02:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
Thoughts and prayers to Paul George utmost, but to Pacers and their fans too. Best wishes!!!!!!
Old 08-02-14, 06:25 AM
SR Team Goof

Is there a cloud forming over the Pacer organization? Danny Granger, the Pacer main man at the time, goes down with a knee injury and never recovers his original self. Now, Paul George with this horrible fracture. I surely hope and pray George has a better recovery.
Old 08-02-14, 06:34 AM
SR Team Goof

Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever”

(Article link: Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” | ProBasketballTalk

Through what was a horrific injury that ended the Team USA exhibition Friday night in Las Vegas and had other players reaching out to him, Paul George was probably the calmest person on the court. Which considering this appears something that will cost him a season at least and maybe more, is pretty impressive.

Later Friday night George tweeted this:

Paul George ✔ @Paul_George24
Thanks everybody for the love and support.. I'll be ok and be back better than ever!!! Love y'all!! #YoungTrece
11:09 PM - 1 Aug 2014

Everybody around the NBA was thinking of George.

“It was difficult to watch the injury that Paul George sustained tonight while representing his country. The thoughts and prayers of all of us at the NBA are with Paul and his family,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a released statement.

Pacers’ president and GM Larry Bird added this:

“We are aware of the injury sustained by Paul George in Friday night’s Team USA game in Las Vegas and we are greatly concerned. At this time our thoughts and prayers are with Paul. We are still gathering details and will have an updated statement Saturday.”

The growing question is will this be the end of “dream teams” as other GMs will try to steer their top players away from these kinds of competitions.

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Owners and GMs united tonight: Paul George injury could be tipping point for use of stars in international play. "Game-changer," GM told me.
12:09 AM - 2 Aug 2014

That said, these kinds of competitions — particularly the Olympics — are huge international stages for these players brands (and their shoe brands) so there will be pressure to play.
Old 08-02-14, 10:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton View Post
Wasn't Livingston's a knee injury with ligament and tendon damage? I think this is bad, but maybe it's possible he can come back and be the player he was before?
Yeah, I just meant the ugliness of the injury. Like Ed McCaffrey on Monday night football, the kid in the NCAA tournament... Just the visual effect was atrocious, very disturbing.
Old 08-02-14, 10:55 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

It was pretty close to Kevin Ware from Louisville. He can get back to 100% but it will take time. I wouldn´t count on Paul George coming back this season at all. But I expect him recovered for the following season.
Terrible news for them Pacers, and I hope he gets better soon.
Old 08-02-14, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

this has sense...

"As scary as this injury is

It probably won’t threaten his career.

Bones heal on their own. Ligaments and cartilage don’t. With bones, they just need to be re-positioned and casted. With ligaments, the torn tissue is removed and replaced, which makes for their long recovery time.

Considering that this is a fracture, comparing George’s injury to Kevin Ware’s is fair, but saying it’s like Shaun Livingston’s injury is simply not true.

ACL and/or meniscal tears usually end in surgery, fractures often don’t. Granted, we don’t have access to George’s X-Rays so it’s hard to tell how splintered the bone is, but a simple fracture might take him out of commission for only a handful of weeks.

A multiple fracture, however, might need screws and would likely take longer to heal. As bad as that sounds though, and with possible comparisons to Joe Theismann (who didn’t get screws implanted), you have to realize that medical technology is pretty incredible these days, and George could make a full recovery.

Nonetheless, here’s to you, Paul.

Get well soon.

by mitch.m on 08.02.14 1:39am"
Old 08-02-14, 02:58 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Really bad injury. Hate to see it. Would hate if it happened to KD or LeBron too. It sucks they lost Danny Granger's great talent too. Bad loss for the Pacers, Team USA, and the NBA. Hope he recovers
Old 08-02-14, 06:09 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Hope he recovers soon. Boy are the Pacers going to miss him, especially since the crazy one Stephenson went away.
Old 08-04-14, 12:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

At least they get a 7.5 million injured players exception. Guessing Shawn Marion goes there.
Old 08-04-14, 01:22 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
this has sense...

"As scary as this injury is

It probably won’t threaten his career.

Bones heal on their own. Ligaments and cartilage don’t. With bones, they just need to be re-positioned and casted. With ligaments, the torn tissue is removed and replaced, which makes for their long recovery time.

Considering that this is a fracture, comparing George’s injury to Kevin Ware’s is fair, but saying it’s like Shaun Livingston’s injury is simply not true.

ACL and/or meniscal tears usually end in surgery, fractures often don’t. Granted, we don’t have access to George’s X-Rays so it’s hard to tell how splintered the bone is, but a simple fracture might take him out of commission for only a handful of weeks.

A multiple fracture, however, might need screws and would likely take longer to heal. As bad as that sounds though, and with possible comparisons to Joe Theismann (who didn’t get screws implanted), you have to realize that medical technology is pretty incredible these days, and George could make a full recovery.

Nonetheless, here’s to you, Paul.

Get well soon.

by mitch.m on 08.02.14 1:39am"
All very true. From the standpoint of his overall career, he is much better off with a fracture injury than severe Joint/ligament/cartilage damage.

Guys with torn ligaments/etc. get early degeneration to the affected joint (arthritis). So even if a guy like Westbrook comes back at full strength, he is looking at years taken off his career (unless you have next to zero reliance on your athleticism, can deal with chronic knee pain, and take fantastic care of your body like TD). This will be a long recovery but assuming no complications from the surgery and unless there is some issue regarding an alteration of leg length due to the fracture, I would not imagine this will have a huge cumulative effect on his career.