News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-14, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Spurs cite injury, deny Manu Ginobili permission to play for*Argentina

Go Spurs.

After his last MRI scan came back inconclusive, the Spurs are erring on the side of caution.

The*Spurs*have made their decision and, according to Buck Harvey,*Manu Ginobili*will not be playing for Argentina in the FIBA World Cup.

For anyone unaware of the entire backstory,*here's how I described it this weekend*(with the links to bring you up to date):

after the championship*Manu said he'd play in Spain*then a*physical revealed a stress fracture*that could sideline him two months, but*Manu expected to heal faster*and still play, but reports surfaced that*the Spurs and Manu didn't see eye-to-eyeabout his injury. Then Luis Scola, leader of the Argentine players,*threatened to sit out of the World Cupbecause of how the organization had been mismanaged. Finally,*Manu's tests came back inconclusive*and that's where we stand.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 07-28-14 at 06:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-14, 06:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm sorry for manu and wish him a happy birthday and to get well
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-14, 07:23 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Old 07-28-14, 07:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Fantastic news. I'm sure the drama with the Argentine team had a little to do with it too. Not like the Spurs to be this ballsy and simply say, "you're not playing." I wish they were that emphatic at times but the results are the same. Rest for Manu!!
Old 07-28-14, 08:35 PM
SR Team Goof

Anybody know what the consequences are if Manu turns a deaf ear to the Spurs letter and proceeds to play? Is there an appeals process for this sort of thing? I sure wouldn't want to rock RC and Pop's boat but I wonder if Manu would buck the system, given his loyalty to his country.
Old 07-28-14, 09:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

For all we know, Manu might be somewhat relieved. His body was telling him no but his patriotism was telling him that he had to play.
Old 07-28-14, 09:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Anybody know what the consequences are if Manu turns a deaf ear to the Spurs letter and proceeds to play? Is there an appeals process for this sort of thing? I sure wouldn't want to rock RC and Pop's boat but I wonder if Manu would buck the system, given his loyalty to his country.
Likely it would mean breach of contract and the Spurs would no longer be obligated to honor his contract. In addition, there may be NBA penalties. As far as appeals go, you will have to e-mail Donald Sterling for those details.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-28-14 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 09:50 PM
Herman Cain of the board

He should be retired from international play to be honest. It's not like Steve Nash is still playing for Canada. He stopped playing for them years ago and he is barely older than Manu. Steve Nash is a very proud Canadian. Manu should retire from international play. Gosh look at Duncan. He retired from international play like 12 years ago or something
Old 07-28-14, 11:57 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

[email protected]
Old 07-29-14, 02:03 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
He should be retired from international play to be honest. It's not like Steve Nash is still playing for Canada. He stopped playing for them years ago and he is barely older than Manu. Steve Nash is a very proud Canadian. Manu should retire from international play. Gosh look at Duncan. He retired from international play like 12 years ago or something
Steve Nash cant even stay on the court in the NBA and Canada doesnt have much of a histtory. I understand why Gino wants to play and cant say I blame him. Could be the last time he has a chance to play for his country. I am sure he has a bigger spot for Argentina than he does SA. Lets not forget that the NBA is a job to him. Oh and Duncan didnt retire from international play because of age. He was more frusturated with it and the rules which dont bode well for big men with his skill set.
Old 07-29-14, 08:53 AM
SR Team Goof

Quixem Ramirez: Manu "fought" the ruling, @Julian Mozo reports, but the Spurs exercised a clause in his contract that allowed them to make the decision. Twitter @quixem
Old 07-29-14, 09:08 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Quixem Ramirez: Manu "fought" the ruling, @Julian Mozo reports, but the Spurs exercised a clause in his contract that allowed them to make the decision. Twitter @quixem
So it appears Manu agreed to and signed the contract. I don't see where there can be any argument as to the Spurs decision being unfair or unjust.

Old 07-29-14, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

he's so pissed at the spurs he's gonna sabotage games next season.
Old 07-29-14, 11:02 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
What an idiot. Broken leg and he wants to go play in the summer after two straight runs to the Finals, with really one more chance to get a repeat. He should retire from the Spurs and then go play one last time with Argentina.
Old 07-29-14, 01:22 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezsr View Post
Steve Nash cant even stay on the court in the NBA and Canada doesnt have much of a histtory. I understand why Gino wants to play and cant say I blame him. Could be the last time he has a chance to play for his country. I am sure he has a bigger spot for Argentina than he does SA. Lets not forget that the NBA is a job to him. Oh and Duncan didnt retire from international play because of age. He was more frusturated with it and the rules which dont bode well for big men with his skill set.
I never said Duncan retired from international play because of age. He was not a fan of the FIBA rules and refs. Also Duncan didn't like to play against the Virgin Islands and chose to sit out when he faced them. He couldn't play for them since he already played for USA. I think that also played a factor too. But all the extra miles on his body was not something to be overlooked too. He played for Team USA select squads back in college too. Look it up. He did his fair share regardless. Nash has been injured but stopped playing for Canada back in his Phoenix years. He is very patriotic himself. Canada doesn't have much of a history? Didn't a Canadian invent basketball? I agree with the Spurs' decision because they have been burned before on this subject before.
Old 07-29-14, 01:27 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
What an idiot. Broken leg and he wants to go play in the summer after two straight runs to the Finals, with really one more chance to get a repeat. He should retire from the Spurs and then go play one last time with Argentina.
I agree. He should sit this summer out. Spurs made the right move. Hope he recovers and doesn't use this against the Spurs. They are protecting him and themselves.
Old 07-29-14, 08:54 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Maybe Manu can be an assistant coach or something for his national team.

Old 07-29-14, 11:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I never said Duncan retired from international play because of age. He was not a fan of the FIBA rules and refs. Also Duncan didn't like to play against the Virgin Islands and chose to sit out when he faced them. He couldn't play for them since he already played for USA. I think that also played a factor too. But all the extra miles on his body was not something to be overlooked too. He played for Team USA select squads back in college too. Look it up. He did his fair share regardless. Nash has been injured but stopped playing for Canada back in his Phoenix years. He is very patriotic himself. Canada doesn't have much of a history? Didn't a Canadian invent basketball? I agree with the Spurs' decision because they have been burned before on this subject before.
I'm not arguing any point you just brought up about Duncan I just don't see the connection as to why Gino shouldn't play because Duncan doesn't. does Gino have problems with FIBA rules and refs? Or not comfortable playing for Argentina? Duncan looks at USA Basketball more as a chore where Gino has way more passion for it. I don't blame him for wanting to play one last time. Argentina's rep for international ball is on a different scale than Canada regardless of who invented the game. Nash knew his back wouldn't last even when he was with Phoenix. He is probably lying on his back right now as I type this. I never said I was against the Spurs decision at all. I'm happy with it but only for my own selfish reasons. doesn't mean i don't think it sucks for Gino. If I was him I'd want one last shot at it too.
Old 07-30-14, 12:56 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
I'm not arguing any point you just brought up about Duncan I just don't see the connection as to why Gino shouldn't play because Duncan doesn't. does Gino have problems with FIBA rules and refs? Or not comfortable playing for Argentina? Duncan looks at USA Basketball more as a chore where Gino has way more passion for it. I don't blame him for wanting to play one last time. Argentina's rep for international ball is on a different scale than Canada regardless of who invented the game. Nash knew his back wouldn't last even when he was with Phoenix. He is probably lying on his back right now as I type this. I never said I was against the Spurs decision at all. I'm happy with it but only for my own selfish reasons. doesn't mean i don't think it sucks for Gino. If I was him I'd want one last shot at it too.
I'm not a Nash fan but the guy is the face of basketball up there. I don't see a reason for the Nash bashing. He is very proud of his country too. He started to play for Team Canada back in 93'! Retired from international play in 07' That's 14 years right there. He was still playing at a high level at that time. Look at the stats! The Spurs pay and have an invest in Manu and Tim if they are hurt.....they shouldn't play for anyone! Even their own countries! Manu needs to be smart about this. I know his heart wants to play but it's not wise for him to do so right now.
Old 07-30-14, 01:46 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Wow uwe? What an idiot? Were you calling him an idiot when he played against the grizzlies with a broken arm?

You don't agree with him trying to play for Argentina, fine. But the guys is not an idiot, he's a competitor. The same thing that makes him great for the spurs, drives him to play for his country.
Old 07-30-14, 03:15 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
Wow uwe? What an idiot? Were you calling him an idiot when he played against the grizzlies with a broken arm?

You don't agree with him trying to play for Argentina, fine. But the guys is not an idiot, he's a competitor. The same thing that makes him great for the spurs, drives him to play for his country.
Actually I did call him an idiot then because he was doing his usual reach in defense that caused that broken arm. And he was getting paid very well. But that's beside the point. He's got a broken leg. What makes him think he could play and contribute? What makes him think he won't possibly injure it more? He's one of the greatest competitors the sport has seen. That also means he can make some idiotic decisions in order to compete.
Old 07-30-14, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
... he's a competitor. The same thing that makes him great for the spurs, drives him to play for his country.
Misplaced machismo, not competitive fire. A competitor understands that there's always a time to let your body recover so you can truly be at your best when called for. Not a broken down shell of what you once were.

Old 07-31-14, 12:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I'm not a Nash fan but the guy is the face of basketball up there. I don't see a reason for the Nash bashing. He is very proud of his country too. He started to play for Team Canada back in 93'! Retired from international play in 07' That's 14 years right there. He was still playing at a high level at that time. Look at the stats! The Spurs pay and have an invest in Manu and Tim if they are hurt.....they shouldn't play for anyone! Even their own countries! Manu needs to be smart about this. I know his heart wants to play but it's not wise for him to do so right now.
Huh??????? Im not bashing Nash at all. Ive been living in Phoenix since 2000 and have seen him play live tons of times. He has had back issues since the mid 2000s. He never won a ring and his window was closing so he knew if he was ever going to have a chance he needed to chill on international play. Even said as much on local news casts several times here. Gino has 4 rings already. Oh and every player that plays for Team USA have investments in them as well. Should none of them play as well? players can get hurt no matter of age. And i never said it was wise for Gino to play. stick to the points
Old 07-31-14, 12:50 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Actually I did call him an idiot then because he was doing his usual reach in defense that caused that broken arm. And he was getting paid very well. But that's beside the point. He's got a broken leg. What makes him think he could play and contribute? What makes him think he won't possibly injure it more? He's one of the greatest competitors the sport has seen. That also means he can make some idiotic decisions in order to compete.
he had a broken leg while playing and contrbuting for the Spurs and now has had time to rest. Im sure thats why he thinks he still could play. not saying he should though but they guy is one of the biggest competitors in the game so i understand why he thinks the way he does. most on this board that dont like that thought process are more concerned about their selfish wants as a Spurs fan.
Old 07-31-14, 01:31 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
he had a broken leg while playing and contrbuting for the Spurs and now has had time to rest. Im sure thats why he thinks he still could play. not saying he should though but they guy is one of the biggest competitors in the game so i understand why he thinks the way he does. most on this board that dont like that thought process are more concerned about their selfish wants as a Spurs fan.
"selfish wants"? Yeah whatever. I guess the Spurs organization is selfish for not letting Manu play too
Old 07-31-14, 01:57 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Huh??????? Im not bashing Nash at all. Ive been living in Phoenix since 2000 and have seen him play live tons of times. He has had back issues since the mid 2000s. He never won a ring and his window was closing so he knew if he was ever going to have a chance he needed to chill on international play. Even said as much on local news casts several times here. Gino has 4 rings already. Oh and every player that plays for Team USA have investments in them as well. Should none of them play as well? players can get hurt no matter of age. And i never said it was wise for Gino to play. stick to the points
I am sticking to all the points! Any player who is injured and has a signed NBA contract for millions should not play anymore than they have to until they recover from a team reported injury. TP is sitting this summer out! Yeah players can get hurt at any age but you insisted that Nash was broken down at that time when he really wasn't. Yes he had back issues and the whole world knew about it. But how did he average like 18 and 11 at the time of his international retirement if he was so brittle? Larry Bird could barely move with his bad back towards the end of his career but he was kicking ass all the way until the end. Kawhi is chilling out this summer too. The guy is how old???? Nash didn't want the extra miles just like how Tim didn't want them. Both players started their international careers before being in the NBA. So they did their time. Why bring up the Manu rings? Makes no difference. Nash has a lot of pride in his country. Manu has a gold medal and a World Championship(not the NBA version)already. What else is there to earn internationally? If Nash never gets any rings or gold medals......it doesn't make or break his career. As far as living in Phoenix....great my sister used to live there too. And I visited her there. So yes you might have more insight on what CD was playing in Nash's car in 2000. Great! Bottom line is Nash was being smart about it. Manu needs to do the same thing. Manu is injured right now.......... not might get injured. Makes a big difference. INJURED!
Old 07-31-14, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Let's try to lighten up a bit. Manu had pain in a practice with the Argentine team. Even the Argentine staff is in agreement with the Spurs decision.
Old 08-01-14, 05:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Let's try to lighten up a bit. Manu had pain in a practice with the Argentine team. Even the Argentine staff is in agreement with the Spurs decision.
That statement is devoid of emotion, speculation or room to argue..... thread killing monster!
Old 08-01-14, 11:35 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
That statement is devoid of emotion, speculation or room to argue..... thread killing monster!
Well let's start another argument. Bonner is the reason the Spurs got past OKC. Go!
Old 08-01-14, 04:33 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

*disclaimer* I'm not Manu nor a Manu insider, just a Spurs fan from Argentina with all the bias that might give me. Also, keep in mind there might be some sarcasm in this post *disclaimer*

I don't think Manu's decision to play the World Championship in Spain is completely idiotic. Actually, I believe it makes a lot of sense from his point of view.

* Manu has never won the World Championship. He was very close in 2002 (he missed the final due to an ankle injury in the semifinals game and Argentina lost by 1) and 2006 (lost the semifinals to eventual champions Spain by 1). Missed the 2010 tournament due to just becoming a father for the first (and second ) time. So this was probably going to be his last chance at getting the only big international tournament he is missing.

* Not only would he be playing to represent his country, but most of all, he would be playing with his friends. Imagine doing the thing you love, at the highest level and being able to share it with your friends.

* The alternative to going to play the tournament was to stay at home changing diapers and having to watch his friends on TV playing without him. I can only imagine the mood Manu will have while watching those games and I almost expect his wife to insist even more than Manu himself in going to play only for the benefit of not having him at home in that mood

* Since 2006, this might be the "weakest" US team (if that ever exists when NBA players show up), giving teams like Spain, France and also Argentina to challenge them and have a real chance at beating them in a good day

As a Basketball lover from Argentina, this injury (together with Delfino's injury) really hurts because it was probably the last chance to see this amazing generation of guys playing together and competing at the highest level.

As a Spurs fan, I'm glad Manu will not be putting more stress into that leg during the summer and hope he heals completely to keep displaying the wonderful basketball the Spurs played during the last playoffs through next season all the way to June 2015
Old 08-02-14, 08:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Well let's start another argument. Bonner is the reason the Spurs got past OKC. Go!
hehe you have find someone else I chanted MVP when he got the ball....
Old 08-02-14, 03:07 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Are you sure about that? 2006????
WTH!! Time flies...it's been 10 years now. 2004 OG's..

[email protected]
Old 08-02-14, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
WTH!! Time flies...it's been 10 years now. 2004 OG's..
Have you ever noticed how many folks signed up for this board back in 2003?????
Old 08-02-14, 07:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Have you ever noticed how many folks signed up for this board back in 2003?????
I signed up back in or 2001 as Tpark2TDunk but for whatever reason I had to make a new user name. Can't remember why. Time does fly.... Crazy to think I've been posting on this board for 13 years...
Old 08-02-14, 09:57 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
I signed up back in or 2001 as Tpark2TDunk but for whatever reason I had to make a new user name. Can't remember why. Time does fly.... Crazy to think I've been posting on this board for 13 years...
Same here. They changed servers or something and I had to re register and start over. That may be why a lot of peopleave their start date in 2003. I was here around 2000.
Old 08-02-14, 11:37 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Same here. They changed servers or something and I had to re register and start over. That may be why a lot of peopleave their start date in 2003. I was here around 2000.
Yup me too. I was on here way before too. Also I was on another board even before that. Been on these spurs boards since like 97'. So closer to that time period versus 03'. I also lost a lot of posts on my post count. It's all good! I'm still alive and torturing the masses!lol
Old 08-03-14, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

My start date says 2001. I can't remember anything about 2001 or 2003 for that matter, so I can't help with server issues. I'm pretty sure I was on forums before 2001. This one was run by a guy named Dusty and the WOAI network had a popular forum too as most games were only on radio back then if you lived outside of viewing distance of San Antonio.