News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-14, 07:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

GINOBILI AWAITING DECISION FROM SPURS FOR CLEARANCE TO PLAY IN WORLD CUP

As much as I love the guy, this stuff really irritates me. I hope the spurs shoot it down...

Ginobili awaiting decision from Spurs for clearance to play in World Cup | Project Spurs

As expected, San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili’s most recent test results on the stress fracture in his right leg*came in*Friday, and according to Ginobili’s doctor, Diego Grippo, he is still “optimistic” Ginobili can play in the 2014 FIBA World Cup, but the ultimate decision has to come from the Spurs (Via Canchallena.LaNacion.com).

“The results were good, make us optimistic,” positive word of Diego Grippo on the status of*Manu Ginobili*for the forthcoming*World*excites everyone.*The team doctor confirmed that the bahiense studies were “positive” but now have to wait the decision of San Antonio.

The article states Ginobili had CT Scans and MRI’s conducted on his leg, and unless needed, there likely won’t be anymore testing on the part of the doctor from Argentina. The report indicated that the Spurs’ decision would be made “in the coming hours.”

After Ginobili’s results came out, he tweeted later Friday that he had completed his first practice with the Argentine National team.
Old 07-25-14, 11:03 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

For god's sake, Manu, stay off the court this summer. Travel with Argentine if you must, but wear a suit jacket to games.

You have the chance to hang 'em up with consecutive NBA titles. Spurs have almost no shot if you are not at the best level you can be at your age.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-14, 01:46 AM
The Master Baiter

If he plays, trade him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-14, 05:01 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
If he plays, trade him.
He has given the spurs everything they could have asked for from a 57th pick, and has contributed to 4 championships and even been considered by many to be the main reason we won in 2005. He loves his country and this might be his last time to represent them. I think he has earned the privilege of making this decision and I certainly don't think he owes anything to San Antonio after allowing the spurs to use him off the bench for so many years when he was one of the best guards in the league. Give him a break.
Old 07-26-14, 06:01 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
He has given the spurs everything they could have asked for from a 57th pick, and has contributed to 4 championships and even been considered by many to be the main reason we won in 2005. He loves his country and this might be his last time to represent them. I think he has earned the privilege of making this decision and I certainly don't think he owes anything to San Antonio after allowing the spurs to use him off the bench for so many years when he was one of the best guards in the league. Give him a break.
The spurs payed him millions upon millions of dollars... I would say he owes them until they stop signing his checks...
Old 07-26-14, 07:57 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
I was joking, but only partially. He's been there done that, several times. He doesn't have to do it now. It's the Spurs that are making sure he can retire comfortably and support his wife and kids for the rest of their lives. MY retirement is going to suck. The only saving grace I'm going to have is to say I was able to see the Spurs get their first repeat and their 6th title. And he's going to ruin that.
Old 07-26-14, 09:36 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

His primary loyalty is and has always been to Argentina. His legacy to his fans in Argentina means more to him than his legacy among San Antonio Spurs fans.

And after all, why should he care if he can't play for the Spurs next season if his body breaks down again because of his overuse of it? After all he'll still get paid because the Spurs salary is guaranteed.
Old 07-26-14, 09:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
His primary loyalty is and has always been to Argentina. His legacy to his fans in Argentina means more to him than his legacy among San Antonio Spurs fans.

And after all, why should he care if he can't play for the Spurs next season if his body breaks down again because of his overuse of it? After all he'll still get paid because the Spurs salary is guaranteed.
That much is clear. But that doesn't man the spurs or the spurs fans should be ok with it. If he plays for Argentina, i imagine Pop plays him a solid 10 minutes a Game next year.
Old 07-26-14, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
That much is clear. But that doesn't man the spurs or the spurs fans should be ok with it. If he plays for Argentina, i imagine Pop plays him a solid 10 minutes a Game next year.
Trust me, I'm NOT ok with it. I think it's a slap in the face of Spurs fans. To me, it's like the aging ball player who doesn't know when it's time to hang them up, his ego won't let him step down.
Old 07-26-14, 12:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Manu values his country over the Spurs. If he plays I bet he will get the Tony Parker treatment and sit for an extended stretch during the season. That's how you use depth. Although I would hate to have to depend on Bryce Cotton for too much. I would not be surprised that if he plays that the Spurs do sign someone like Shawn Marion to take some additional minutes. It is also likely that Anderson actually gets to see some minutes in SA.
Old 07-26-14, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hopefully the spurs(who probably don't give a rats ace about Argentina) Say hell no...
Old 07-26-14, 01:49 PM
SR Team Goof

Up front, I’m not for Manu playing during the summer months, especially because of his age. His body is trying to tell him something and for some reason Manu can’t understand the language. But Manu is a ‘special’ kind of guy, one we haven’t seen in SA for some time before his arrival. He has a special kind of leadership and court sense that very few possess. And he has something that I wish a lot more people had ---- a love and dedication to country and his fellow countrymen. I admire that. But the selfish part of me wished he would rest and be ready for what may be his ‘last hurrah’ in the NBA. But everyone has their own opinion and their own mind and I know Manu will make the right decision that is right for him. And again, I will respect it.
Old 07-26-14, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Up front, I’m not for Manu playing during the summer months, especially because of his age. His body is trying to tell him something and for some reason Manu can’t understand the language. But Manu is a ‘special’ kind of guy, one we haven’t seen in SA for some time before his arrival. He has a special kind of leadership and court sense that very few possess. And he has something that I wish a lot more people had ---- a love and dedication to country and his fellow countrymen. I admire that. But the selfish part of me wished he would rest and be ready for what may be his ‘last hurrah’ in the NBA. But everyone has their own opinion and their own mind and I know Manu will make the right decision that is right for him. And again, I will respect it.
My sentiments exactly. I don't like the idea of him playing this summer any more than any spurs fan does, but he's earned the right to make the decision himself. If he is healthy the spurs have no right to tell him no, that's a big if though.
Old 07-26-14, 04:18 PM

I don't think the Spurs contractually can tell any of their foreign legion not to play for their home countries.

And yes it's his right to risk the last year of his Spurs career by playing for Argentina, I just believe that he owes as much to the Spurs as he does to ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION in the world. And if he wants to put his future in jeopardy by playing for Argentina (and believe me, I know how easy it is to break as you get older and older) then he simply needs to retire from the Spurs and let them use that money for somebody who won't need two-three months off during the season to 'rest up and recover'. If he chooses to play in the World Cup, then IMHO this is a totally selfish move on his part and is done for his own glory and nothing else.
Old 07-26-14, 06:05 PM
The Master Baiter

If Manu is waiting on a decision from the Spurs, it sounds like it isn't in the contract. And it shouldn't be. Manu has displayed poor decisions in the past and you can bet the Spurs would never allow it.
Old 07-26-14, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
I don't think the Spurs contractually can tell any of their foreign legion not to play for their home countries.

And yes it's his right to risk the last year of his Spurs career by playing for Argentina, I just believe that he owes as much to the Spurs as he does to ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION in the world. And if he wants to put his future in jeopardy by playing for Argentina (and believe me, I know how easy it is to break as you get older and older) then he simply needs to retire from the Spurs and let them use that money for somebody who won't need two-three months off during the season to 'rest up and recover'. If he chooses to play in the World Cup, then IMHO this is a totally selfish move on his part and is done for his own glory and nothing else.
I would agree with that. If he goes than he certainly isn't going with Buford's blessing. On another note, this might be the weakest team the us has sent since they won bronze in the Olympics. Aldridge, Love and Howard all opted out for various reasons, so maybe manu feels they have a legit shot at beating them. Whatever the reason is I think the spurs will be ok if he does go. I haven't heard if tony is going so if he can rest up this summer hopefully we don't have to deal with him being banged up at the end like we have the last two seasons.