News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-14, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Rookie

If Tim retires after next yr could Spurs offer Love MAX deal?

I think its SO important to the future of the Spurs to get this guy. I know the chances are slim because hes probably going to get locked up long term by whatever team trades for him, but wow what an amazing player. Dare I say the Spurs could be a better team with him than with TD. As much as I love and will miss TD I would welcome him into retirement if it meant we get Love.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-14, 11:17 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Yes. We'll only have a few guys still on the payroll at that point and will have to completely retool the roster.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - San Antonio Spurs

It'll basically be Kawhi, Splitter, Boris, and Patty. You assume Manu and TD will likely retire and the future of TP is TBD.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-14, 11:57 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I don't see this guy as the answer.

He's been in the league for six years and hasn't gotten his team into the playoffs yet. Granted, he's been on some pretty weak teams, but he has to take some responsibility.

He's an offensive machine and can board. But his defense is dreadful (imagine Pop dealing with that) and he seems injury-prone. He'll certainly get the max from someone.

There will never be another Tim Duncan, just as there could never be a David Robinson replacement (sorry Rasho). When Tim goes (along with the Big 3 era), the Spur braintrust will have to make a new plan.
Old 07-23-14, 12:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
I don't see this guy as the answer.

He's been in the league for six years and hasn't gotten his team into the playoffs yet. Granted, he's been on some pretty weak teams, but he has to take some responsibility.

He's an offensive machine and can board. But his defense is dreadful (imagine Pop dealing with that) and he seems injury-prone. He'll certainly get the max from someone.

There will never be another Tim Duncan, just as there could never be a David Robinson replacement (sorry Rasho). When Tim goes (along with the Big 3 era), the Spur braintrust will have to make a new plan.
He averaged 26 pts 12.5 boards and 4.4 assists last year. Hes not the answer because he really needed to score 40pts a game to get his team into the playoffs? Karl Malone one of the best power forwards ever wasnt getting Utah into the playoffs without Stockton.
Old 07-23-14, 12:29 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I see both sides of the argument. You do have good players on bad teams that can't amount to anything when they are finally surrounded with talent, and you also have guys that win when they are finally in a healthy functional situation. Not sure which it is with Love yet.
Old 07-23-14, 12:58 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

I don't think so but that's because he isn't the defensive presence that Tim is. It helps that Tim is 6'11. On a good day, Love is 6-9.

Old 07-23-14, 08:27 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Lots of good points by some people and I agree with most of you! BUT...........regardless of team around him and being in the western conference Love has yet to even sniff the PO's. Also, he's a defensive liability. He's shown me nothing to say that he could clog the lane and "man up" against other bigs on the defensive side.

I think A LOT of Spurs fans really don't realize the impact and importance of Timmy. The dude is a top 10 (possibly top 5) player of all time. It's everything that he does from offence, defense, leadership, etc.....he won't be replaced and will surely be missed......

Love is not the answer but who is .....I'm not sure anyone really is, but Love might be the only option....

Last edited by esparzar1; 07-23-14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

No way he signs in SA. And I agree with most, that I think he is more a product of being on a crappy team than anything. It's going to be interesting what he does elsewhere.

I do expect him to be in a Cavs jersey and re-signed for the max by the end of the week.

He would be a good addition to the Spurs, but I just don't see him wanting to go to the Spurs just like every other big name free agent. And especially not after Duncan and Manu leave. I still think there is a good foundation in SA to build after they leave and put a nice big time player in there to continue to the winning, but it remains to be seen who that big time player would be.

The biggest selling point would be Kawhi, TP, and Pop for the most part. So those could be very attractive to an up and coming super star type player but history has shown that SA isn't Miami or LA LOL.

Last edited by montgod; 07-23-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 09:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Give me that Texas guy instead... LaMarcus Aldridge! Not that California guy. Thought Texas would trump Cali. in this conversation.

Last edited by MRJONESIII; 07-23-14 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Give me that Texas guy instead... LaMarcus Aldridge! Not that California guy. Thought Texas would trump Cali. in this conversation.
I agree with that as well but I don't think LA is the answer anymore than Love. They both have their strong points but Timmy is basically irreplacable

Last edited by esparzar1; 07-23-14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 09:49 AM
The Master Baiter

The next superstar is going to be by draft. No star free agent is ever going to come to SA. For some reason, despite SA being the 7th largest city in the country, no state income tax, being the only pro sport in town, having a great team legacy, and having warm weather, they don't choose the Spurs.
Old 07-23-14, 09:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
I agree with that as well but I don't think LA is the answer anymore than Love. They both have their strong points but Timmy is bascially irreplacable
Love is in love with Lebron, so he should go hang from his manhood. Aldridge reminds me of Duncan a little, plus I think Love had fallen in love with the 3 ball. When you need a go to post up, I'll take LA all day.

You need post up in the playoffs and in pretty sure he can hit that corner 3 if need be. Plus everyone is supposedly going home, LeBron first, KD maybe to WA, Melo stayed home, Love wanted to go to the Lakers... No its LA's turn to come home!

Only issue I see is #12 is retired! What was his college #?
Old 07-23-14, 10:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
The next superstar is going to be by draft. No star free agent is ever going to come to SA. For some reason, despite SA being the 7th largest city in the country, no state income tax, being the only pro sport in town, having a great team legacy, and having warm weather, they don't choose the Spurs.
For a 40 something married working class man, SA is a great place to raise your kids on the cheap. That just happens to be the exact opposite of your typical NBA superstar: 20 something single and wealthy.
Old 07-23-14, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Love is in love with Lebron, so he should go hang from his manhood. Aldridge reminds me of Duncan a little, plus I think Love had fallen in love with the 3 ball. When you need a go to post up, I'll take LA all day.

You need post up in the playoffs and in pretty sure he can hit that corner 3 if need be. Plus everyone is supposedly going home, LeBron first, KD maybe to WA, Melo stayed home, Love wanted to go to the Lakers... No its LA's turn to come home!

Only issue I see is #12 is retired! What was his college #?

I think Love has a more complete offensive game than LA but, LA is a little bigger 6'11 or 7'0 while Love is about 6'9 and LA is a better defender. Choose your poison lol anyways, I'd perfor LA over Love but like I said I don't think anyone will replace what Duncan does as a whole for the Spurs.....I guess LA would probably be the closest thing the Spurs could possibly get........if Kawhi keeps on improving we may not need much more

Oh.....and LA was #23 in college

Last edited by esparzar1; 07-23-14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 10:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

A lot to like, but some holes as well. We could do much worse than building around TP, Leonard and Love for 3 or 4 years...
Old 07-23-14, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
I think Love has a more complete offensive game than LA but, LA is a little bigger 6'11 or 7'0 while Love is about 6'9 and LA is a better defender. Choose your poison lol anyways, I'd perfor LA over Love but like I said I don't think anyone will replace what Duncan does as a whole for the Spurs.....I guess LA would probably be the closest thing the Spurs could possibly get........if Kawhi keeps on improving we may not need much more

Oh.....and LA was #23 in college
We'll definitely need more than just Leonard if Duncan and Manu retire. But is LA a restricted FA? I don't think the draft will help us... You have to lose and be in the lottery to make that happen. Kawhi is good but we'll need a big man to keep the defense honest.

I'd take LA and Ersan Ilyasova at the 4 and 5. Milwaukee don't need him and doesn't know how to use him. But this is all premature if TD doesn't retire next year.
Old 07-23-14, 11:25 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Kevin Love is not a product of being on a bad team. He is an awesome talent. I knew he would be good but not this good. He won't come here and the solution is the draft. I know Kawhi was a Pacer pick but he was picked for the Spurs. I think the Spurs in the past were looking for free agent fixes and some of them worked but with no cap space it's hard. Meaning "outside" free agents not re-signing your own. The Big "3",Kawhi, Robinson, Elliot wore a Spurs uniform first. That's the answer. Even some championship teams from the past were built from the draft. Celtics,Lakers, Pistons, Rockets,Bulls were mainly built with their own picks or picks acquired(Pippen,Kobe) for the team. Hoping for the LeBron,Melo, or Love route won't happen here. I'm a draft guy. Invest in the draft.....screw trading for stars or over paying for Free Agents!
Old 07-23-14, 12:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Kevin Love is not a product of being on a bad team. He is an awesome talent. I knew he would be good but not this good. He won't come here and the solution is the draft. I know Kawhi was a Pacer pick but he was picked for the Spurs. I think the Spurs in the past were looking for free agent fixes and some of them worked but with no cap space it's hard. Meaning "outside" free agents not re-signing your own. The Big "3",Kawhi, Robinson, Elliot wore a Spurs uniform first. That's the answer. Even some championship teams from the past were built from the draft. Celtics,Lakers, Pistons, Rockets,Bulls were mainly built with their own picks or picks acquired(Pippen,Kobe) for the team. Hoping for the LeBron,Melo, or Love route won't happen here. I'm a draft guy. Invest in the draft.....screw trading for stars or over paying for Free Agents!
Well I hope you're right.. Considering we never pick early in the draft. And there aren't too many real gems at 20-30. And I don't see us picking in the top 15 in the near future, unless we part ways with something someone wants, Ala George Hill to move up.

So unless we stink it up in the next few years, we'll still need a little help. Unless these draft and stash guys are something special. But I get where you're coming from considering the Spurs track history.

But I think DRob and TD were the reason we could draft like we have. Without them, I think all bets are off when it came to drafting. Those 2 could cover up some mistakes of bad drafting, but once that anchor is gone?

We both know, you need strong post play to win in the playoffs or a built super team, and we'll never build one of those. We got lucky with 50 and 21,and did some magic with TP and Manu and possibly Kawhi as far as building blocks.

But the way teams are assembling... We're going to have to be even better once our big dogs are gone, especially if we're going to keep the train running and contending.
Old 07-23-14, 07:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Forget Love, he seems like a great player on a bad team. Let him go somewhere else. If I were the spurs, I would go hard at Marc Gasol. Perfect replacement for Timmy, team player who can shoot the midrange and pass, plus a defender of the rim.
Old 07-24-14, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Yes but we didn't draft before 20th pick since 17 years. And 16 of them was 24th and later. Don't count Kawhi, it was a trade, even we've picked him.

That's a shame, because being successful should not be punished so long. This draft system should change i.e. If a team finishes at above for 5 years, they should gain a lottery ticket. Or something like that.

That's why to find a draft gem is not easy for Spurs always. Parker and Manu was a result of scouting, but it's also not easy right now since communication and internet is progressed so much.
Old 07-24-14, 08:30 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
Yes but we didn't draft before 20th pick since 17 years. And 16 of them was 24th and later. Don't count Kawhi, it was a trade, even we've picked him.

That's a shame, because being successful should not be punished so long. This draft system should change i.e. If a team finishes at above for 5 years, they should gain a lottery ticket. Or something like that.

That's why to find a draft gem is not easy for Spurs always. Parker and Manu was a result of scouting, but it's also not easy right now since communication and internet is progressed so much.
Kawhi does count. Once the draft begins you can't trade draft positions. Indiana picked Kawhi for the Spurs. The draft rights to Kawhi Leonard were traded to the Spurs not Kawhi the "signed" player. So it was a Spurs pick. Chicago got the rights to Scottie Pippen from Seattle on draft night. Seattle didn't want him. No Kawhi no Hill trade.
Old 07-24-14, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Kawhi does count. Once the draft begins you can't trade draft positions. Indiana picked Kawhi for the Spurs. The draft rights to Kawhi Leonard were traded to the Spurs not Kawhi the "signed" player. So it was a Spurs pick. Chicago got the rights to Scottie Pippen from Seattle on draft night. Seattle didn't want him. No Kawhi no Hill trade.
I said Kawhi doesn't count, because we sacrifice a good player for him. Yes we could pick Kawhi if our pick was higher but he was going to be out of table in 29th pick, which our real position on draft.

My point is it's not easy to get stronger by draft when you're successful in this league.

We couldn't find even a role player from the draft since Parker, aside Splitter and Kawhi and maybe Hill. 1 player each 5 year.

Yes we're succesful, but we didn't draft our critical role players; We've found them elsewhere. Mills, Green, Diaw, Belinelli.
Old 07-24-14, 11:21 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
I said Kawhi doesn't count, because we sacrifice a good player for him. Yes we could pick Kawhi if our pick was higher but he was going to be out of table in 29th pick, which our real position on draft.

My point is it's not easy to get stronger by draft when you're successful in this league.

We couldn't find even a role player from the draft since Parker, aside Splitter and Kawhi and maybe Hill. 1 player each 5 year.

Yes we're succesful, but we didn't draft our critical role players; We've found them elsewhere. Mills, Green, Diaw, Belinelli.
To me the "critical" role players don't have to be drafted. The "core" guys are the ones you draft. Who cares that they traded Hill. They targeted Kawhi not the pick. If Kawhi was off the board the spurs don't do the trade. They had some other decent picks. Blair,James Anderson,Scola and they blew some. They could have drafted Marc Gasol. Also I never implied draft a whole team. Building a team takes all the routes. Trades and free agent are important but the draft is the key...no matter where you draft
Old 07-25-14, 07:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

In 2015, Marc Gasol is slated to be a FA. Also, let's wait and see if Greg Monroe gets an extension.